Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,786 members, 7,810,051 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:25 PM

Which Nigerian Bank Do you Use and Why? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Which Nigerian Bank Do you Use and Why? (3849 Views)

Best Nigerian Bank For Business Account / In Which Bank Do Customers Waste Time Everyday? (photo) / Which Bank Do You Operate With And How Would You Rate Their Services? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Nigerian Bank Do you Use and Why? by Greatpeter(m): 7:18pm On Aug 19, 2005
Fellow Nigerians let us know the bank you trade with and why you have confidence in them by making them your treasury.

As per me, I use Zenith Bank for current accounts and Guaranty Trust for savings.

Reason is because of the two banks Hi- Tech and no wasting of time when you go for transactions unlike Union and First banks e.t.c.

They are strong and reliable.

So which is your bank(s)?
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Do you Use and Why? by kazey(m): 12:23am On Aug 20, 2005
What of if someone uses more than 1 bank? As far as i know Nigerian banks do not reply email enquiries, their support is lousy.
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Do you Use and Why? by Seun(m): 2:07am On Aug 20, 2005
The voting form allows you to choose up to 3 banks! Personally, I'll prefer written replies to these questions.
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Do you Use and Why? by Greatpeter(m): 6:59pm On Aug 20, 2005
One good thing about GT and Zenith is that of their network transaction.

You can withdraw or deposit anywhere in the country and they have branches nation wide.

I don't have to carry cash around.
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Do you Use and Why? by kazey(m): 7:06pm On Aug 20, 2005
hum i think that can be done with most Nigerian banks now.
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Do you Use and Why? by Chxta(m): 7:54am On Aug 22, 2005
The list should have included others at the least...

Anyways, from the above lot, I used to use STB, because to give credit to whom it is due, they were the first to have an efficient online system, and for those of us who look ahead , that was extremely important.
Lately, I have ignored that account completely (account balance N2257.13) because of the fact that when you enter an STB branch nowadays, it is like a market, and it takes you forever to do what you want. GTB is heading in that direction, I know because my chic banks there and I have gone with her to the bank on occassion.
Currently, I have 2 functional accounts, my salary account is with FCMB, and the Gateway Bank account is the one I tend to use more often because as a former worker there I tend to get good treatment whenever I go to any branch.
I am thinking of reactivating my Diamond Bank account though because of the ATM cards.

My first ever account was with AfriBank. And it is dead!
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Do you Use and Why? by delarontus(f): 11:00am On Aug 22, 2005
GTB replies email enquiries sometimes and they don't waste time. Call it the future generation bank.

Afribank is managing but can do a lot better.

Oceanic is cool, trying to be like GTB but not bad at all. They need to work on their public relations.

STB needs to reorganise itself. Visiting any of their branches is like going to the market to shop. Its rowdy and crowdy and i can't stand the queue.
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Do you Use and Why? by timmy(m): 3:34pm On Aug 22, 2005
i use STB, there close to my house, office, church, girlfreinds house, eatries, clubs, gym, on my way travelling, in my state, my hometown ......they got ATM's, tell me why i shouldnt bank with them.. i also av accounts with some of my clients banks, they force you to open accounts with them if they av to give you a contract .....hiss.
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Do you Use and Why? by kazey(m): 11:58pm On Aug 22, 2005
Well it takes STB 2 months to process a simple bank statement. So We are currently shifting totally to GTB. We (My Company)
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Do you Use and Why? by Adetola(m): 12:19pm On Aug 23, 2005
In my own case, i use First City Monument Bank (FCMB) for business and Assurance bank, now a member of the Five-Bank Mega ASTRA Bank.

They both operate online banking and i can hardly notice whether or not they charge for online transactions, if they do pls let me know.
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Do you Use and Why? by IAH(f): 6:18pm On Aug 23, 2005
I was using Co-operative Bank(poor people's bank) before I left. Their services were as poor as their customers. Maybe they've improved now, who knows? grin  grin
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Do you Use and Why? by Greatpeter(m): 6:20pm On Aug 23, 2005
But you were one of them, so poor before? grin

Now join me in Zenith bank where we make profit galore. kiss
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Do you Use and Why? by QUAM: 5:19pm On Aug 24, 2005
I CURRENTLY USE STANDARD TRUST WHILE iN Naija, but I am getting tired of them, it took them almost two months to open my virtual account (online account) and it is taking over one month and going to activate my online account password and user id. It just sucks. You cant call on the phone to get your account balance. I am thinking of gtb now.
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Do you Use and Why? by bioye(m): 7:06pm On Aug 25, 2005
I use GTBank (Guaranty). I do not like Zenith cos they dont seem professional enough for me.. You just cant compare them to GTB though they are quite profitable. STB is a no-go area for me. I always smell 'corrupt' each time I enter the bank. Reminds me of Nigerian ministries.

One bank I would love to try is Bond bank (they are merging with IBTC). They seem to have a concept that could compete with GTB. Intercontinental Bank too seems to be cool.
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Do you Use and Why? by otokx(m): 11:17am On Sep 12, 2005
i like fidelity bank (port harcourt main) because of their friendly approach, so also first atlantic bank (port harcourt main and rumokuta branch). However most bank staff need to do a lot in the treatment of their clients, its so horrible in Nigeria especially when they are paying salaries e.g teachers, unions, etc.
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Do you Use and Why? by Mazi(m): 10:10am On Dec 13, 2005
My Case:

After Charles Soludo announced the N25Bn min Shareholder's fund for banks in Nigeria, sometime mid 2004, I decided to choose the banks to bank with. My decision was to be based on capital base, e-banking, consumer products and national spread.

I called Standard Chartered Nigeria.
They gave me the basic requirements and asked me to feel free to go to any of their offices for an application form. I opened a USD account with them in less than 20 mins. I was given a pin for SMS banking same day, and I was asked to came back in 2 weeks time for my VISA Electron Card. It was ready and waiting for me when I was back there in 2 weeks time.

Cash withdrawal since then takes me an average of 10mins.

My ratings:

Customer service: Excellent
Ebanking: well they still don't (to the best of my knowledge) have internet banking for retail clients, so I'll rate: Average
Spread: Poor (Only in Lagos,PH and Abuja)

I needed a bank with more spread, and to open a Naira Account. After going thru websites, I went to STB. January 2005.

I went to the new branch in 23rd festac, asked to open a Virtual PAL account, was told I could only do that at the Head Office by an Ignorant and Rude Customer Service officer. Not believing that nonsense, I went to the branch in 21rd.

The forms were given to me, I opened the account, applied for Internet Banking and an ATM card.
Then the story starts...

By March, I still didn't have my Internet banking login details nor the ATM card.

After phone calls and emails, I finally got the Internet Banking working in April.
I only got the ATM card in July. ie 6 months later.
Although a friend of mine got his ATM card after 3 weeks of applying for one, it boils down to consistency.
The bank does not respond to on-line inquiries. At least not to my enquiries.

My ratings:

Customer Service: Very Poor.
Ebanking: Good. ie when you eventually start using it. probably after 4 months.
Spread: Excellent.
Banking Environment: Poor (marketplace)

I decided to bank with another bank with as much spread as STB. I couldn't handle the crowd at the banking halls, for even to deposit money.
I had cause to deposit money at Zenith for someone. It took me an hour to do that at their Maitama branch in Abuja. Zenith was out of my list.
I went to Afribank in Abuja, couldn't get into the hall. Crowd!
I went into GTB in Garki. Hmm, nice banking environment. I browsed their website, was impressed.

I opened a savings account, and as usual applied for all their ebanking products. (Nov 2005)
On NoV 16th, I was called by a staff of the bank to make necessary enquiries about my account. I was impressed at such verification. It was something I experienced only outside Nigeria.
Well, Guys as at today, I am yet to receive my Internet banking details or my ATM card.

Rating:

Customer Service: Poor
Ebanking: no ratings. not been able to use it.
Spread: Good.
Banking Environment: Good (At Abuja)

In summary, although i did not try most other banks, of course this was because they didn't meet most of my criteria as stated above, Customer Service Delivery in Nigerian banks, i would say is averagely poor.

I used to work for Fortune Intl Bank, and the Customer Service Delivery we provided was far much better.

This is my Opinion.
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Do you Use and Why? by gentleone(f): 4:22pm On Dec 14, 2005
umm... i use first bank ooo. their service and everything is poor but at least i know my small change is still safe with them.
from the gateman to customer service to the the tellers! they all are rude and actually feel they are doing you a favour by attending to you.
they are better now sha than the first bank of those days but there's still room for improvement, they just need new blood in their system thats all.

i tried to open an account with gtb and they gave me an outrageous amount to open an account so i just walked.

i use stb too and its no better

i use ecobank as well,efficient and very good customer service.
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Do you Use and Why? by Mazi(m): 7:11pm On Dec 14, 2005
Yes gentleone,
I totally agree with you on Ecobank. I have had cause to work on a project at Ecobank, and in most of their affiliates across west Africa, especially in Abidjan, Conakry and Lome. They have a standard, which all the affiliates adhere to. I have an account with them, but don't use it because their Internet Banking is not up and going, and their ATMs are not linked to Interswitch, so I am short on spread.

First Bank; Well, I am very impressed with their IT revolution. They have the largest ATM spread etc. But I was a bit sceptical about customer service. Anyway, you have just confirmed my fears.

When they eventually merge with Ecobank, I'll definitely pay them a visit.
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Do you Use and Why? by LoverBwoy(m): 3:11pm On Jan 13, 2006
Can any1 please give me a number i can contact Standard Trust Bank all phone numbers on their website dnt work!!! !2!!!!

whats the point they dnt reply to emails
dont have customer service or do i have to reach them via uba??
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Do you Use and Why? by rilla64: 4:26pm On Jan 13, 2006
I ve been banking with TIB(Trans international bank) allen ave since 2001 and its been hell cos:

it is a Yoruba bank, the staff cant speak english.

Easy to deposit, hard to withdraw. Till this day my money is trapped there and i cant get it out.

No cash in vault.

Unprofessional staff

impossible to transfer funds without problems. Etc
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Do you Use and Why? by LoverBwoy(m): 8:38pm On Jan 15, 2006
rilla64:

I ve been banking with TIB(Trans international bank) allen ave since 2001 and its been hell because:

it is a Yoruba bank, the staff can't speak english.

Easy to deposit, hard to withdraw.

Lmao ....its a yoruba bank looooooooooool

im yoruba by da way
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Do you Use and Why? by twinz(m): 2:27am On Jan 16, 2006
GTBank cos they fast and their branch network is efficient,plus you get to know every transaction that takes place in your a/c via email.
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Do you Use and Why? by loko(m): 10:00am On Jan 19, 2006
for me and my family charteredbank is the bank-my big sister is like a canvasser for them-she ensures everybody bank with them as she love them so much and since she dansh me money to open then,they never fail us and their ATM is damn good and online service is efficient and i guess we dont have cause to look else and i recommend them
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Do you Use and Why? by smartsoft(m): 6:23am On Feb 17, 2006
I Used Oceanic Bank and Intercontinental bank, both banks are pretty fine and very very close to my crip and they attend to you ASAP when ever you go in for transaction.
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Do you Use and Why? by chy(f): 9:13am On Mar 03, 2006
well GTB is my bank for current account then i use intercontinental for savings why because is near
my crib and d give quality service but GTB men is cute check out their brand logo
looks foreign
thanks cool
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Do you Use and Why? by LoverBwoy(m): 11:53pm On Mar 04, 2006
lol @ looks foreign
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Do you Use and Why? by Onei: 8:05am On Mar 07, 2006
Has no one ever tried Union Bank? I hear they are way out of this world. Confirm please.
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Do you Use and Why? by gentleone(f): 10:54am On Mar 07, 2006
Union bank shocked, way out of this world indeed! they're old school if u ask me.
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Do you Use and Why? by Seun(m): 11:13am On Mar 07, 2006
Old school: A bank that has employees who think they are doing customers a favor by attending to them.
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Do you Use and Why? by diyobdw(f): 3:37pm On Mar 09, 2006
GTB!!! 4 ever.why?!! great Customer service,professional Youthful feel and they got a way of making you feel special!!
Even when you have less than a thousand with them.( kiss)
Zero account opening balance .i use their ATM & online banking most them have never failed me!!
i will run personal and biz account with them and always recommend client and friend too!!(i guess i can make some money doing that shocked)
Plenti Gbosa!!!4 Guaranty Turst Bank!!! wink cheesy grin wink cheesy grin wink cheesy grin smiley wink cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Zenith - jack of all trades so the can't best at any.Something just don't feel right about them same with STB.
they are like wearing a fake Addias!! to a corporate dinner.you know its not about just being there!!
Bond bank used to trip me too( until consolidation strip'd them off!!)
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Do you Use and Why? by delarontus(f): 8:31am On Mar 10, 2006
GT Bank is the bomb! What trips me most is how courteous the staff are especially the doormen and even the gatemen. These are people who are not even in the banking hall and they do not expect anything from you.
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Do you Use and Why? by gentleone(f): 11:42am On Mar 10, 2006
well, i heard so much about GT bank, i decided to open an account with them and guess what? they disappointed me!
i had already filled the form before coming to the bank and they still kept me waiting for like 30mins! in the end i was told to come back for the account number and couldn't even deposit the money i had with me. i told them they were just like union bank at the end of the day!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Please How To Withdraw From Neteller / What Is The Price Of Stamp Concrete Floor In Nigeria / Usd$1 = N300 - Confirmed From Bdc In Akure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.