Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,735 members, 7,824,084 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:19 PM

My Current Project (underconstruction) : : COMPLETED, BUT . . . - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / My Current Project (underconstruction) : : COMPLETED, BUT . . . (701 Views)

My Current Project (underconstruction) 2 / Site Review(finally Completed) / Just Completed This Website - Please Help Review It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Current Project (underconstruction) : : COMPLETED, BUT . . . by AFOLSNETWORKS(m): 7:13am On Jun 17, 2013
Hello my people, how is the going?
I want you guys to tell me what and what I can add to make this project a superb one.

The Link is here

Also rate the work done so far on a scale of 100.

Thank you. smiley

[size=16pt]A[/size]fols[size=16pt]N[/size]etworks

The project has now been completed and uploaded. What do you think of the entire site?

The but part of the matter is that the people said they want to be able to easily edit typographical errors and not call me each time. Meanwhile I used Dreamweaver for the design, how do I make it easily editable for them? Help me out my brothers & sisters in the Lord wink
Re: My Current Project (underconstruction) : : COMPLETED, BUT . . . by GraphicsPlus(m): 8:02am On Jun 17, 2013
A some things are wrong with that website.

1. The hover color of the main nav links is dark.
2. The text shadow of all the nav inks is just childish.
3. Why did you give height of 400px to your div class 'maintext' and other divs? It's wrong to give a height to a div that can grow later. Allow it to grow automatically with its content.
4. The transition on the drop down menu is not smooth. Or may be it's deliberate. It's like the font-size changes.

Again, why keep using free templates. You can code this lay-out yourself and have a better control of the feel and aesthetic of the web pages.
Re: My Current Project (underconstruction) : : COMPLETED, BUT . . . by AFOLSNETWORKS(m): 8:59am On Jun 17, 2013
Thanks for your assessment.
I will definately look into all you said and u will see the improvement.
Why do you think I used a template other than code the layout?
what is your present rating of the site on a scale of 100?
Re: My Current Project (underconstruction) : : COMPLETED, BUT . . . by GraphicsPlus(m): 10:49am On Jun 17, 2013
When i see a free template i know. i no be pikin for this work.
30/100.
Re: My Current Project (underconstruction) : : COMPLETED, BUT . . . by remmyz(m): 11:13am On Jun 17, 2013
below is d reason why a day old web developer will know its a free template.

Welcome to DEPOWA
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit,
sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore
magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud
exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea
commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in
reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu
fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat
non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit
anim id est laborum.
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit,
sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore
magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud
exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea
commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in
reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu
fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat
non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit
anim id est laborum.
Re: My Current Project (underconstruction) : : COMPLETED, BUT . . . by GraphicsPlus(m): 12:19pm On Jun 17, 2013
@remmyz, you are wrong. Using lorem ipsum is not the way to detect if someone has used a free template. What stops him from putting another text there that is not lorem ipsum? I for instance use it a lot when am working on a project that its write-up is not yet ready.

I use lorem ipsum text from: http://www.loremipsum.net
I use lorem ipsum image from: http://www.lorempixel.com

For instance, right now am working on the front end of this social media network.
Here is how the homepage of any registered member will look like: http://www.ctrlshiftstudios.com/bloggio

Both the text and header image are dummy stuff. Yet, i wrote the layout myself.
Re: My Current Project (underconstruction) : : COMPLETED, BUT . . . by yawatide(f): 4:25pm On Jun 17, 2013
Making comments about using a template, imho, is akin to telling the mother of a baby, "your baby is so cute but it is based on the blueprint of another human being, so no big deal". Come on folks! wetin dey to use template? Abi your human body no be template? Anyone can use a template. Very few can however customize it well. Perhaps that's what we should be focusing on.

Anyways, it looks like only the home page is ready. So my score will be based on an extrapolation (which isn't fair but hey, you leave me with no choice) as opposed to a true score based on all pages of the site:

1) Visited links in the footer blend in with the blue footer background
2) White dropdown menu can't be seen when the scrolling image has white background
3) Animation in body of home page. I would get rid of it (a distraction) or at least make it scroll slower
4) The layout looks "chunky (everything is laid out in "sharp" chunks). Consider using a soft background color
5) Minor: You have your vertical scroller js file in a css folder and your jquery and and style.css in an "engine" folder
6) Hovering over the main menu items causes the dropdown menus to "jump". Appears to be some kind of jquery thing.

Based on the above, and based on the fact that only the home page is done, I will give the page 40%. If I am up for it by the time you are actually complete, I might return and give the site as a whole a higher score, depending on what i see.

1 Like

Re: My Current Project (underconstruction) : : COMPLETED, BUT . . . by AFOLSNETWORKS(m): 4:24am On Jun 19, 2013
yawa-ti-de:
Making comments about using a template, imho, is akin to telling the mother of a baby, "your baby is so cute but it is based on the blueprint of another human being, so no big deal". Come on folks! wetin dey to use template? Abi your human body no be template? Anyone can use a template. Very few can however customize it well. Perhaps that's what we should be focusing on.

Anyways, it looks like only the home page is ready. So my score will be based on an extrapolation (which isn't fair but hey, you leave me with no choice) as opposed to a true score based on all pages of the site:

1) Visited links in the footer blend in with the blue footer background
2) White dropdown menu can't be seen when the scrolling image has white background
3) Animation in body of home page. I would get rid of it (a distraction) or at least make it scroll slower
4) The layout looks "chunky (everything is laid out in "sharp" chunks). Consider using a soft background color
5) Minor: You have your vertical scroller js file in a css folder and your jquery and and style.css in an "engine" folder
6) Hovering over the main menu items causes the dropdown menus to "jump". Appears to be some kind of jquery thing.

Based on the above, and based on the fact that only the home page is done, I will give the page 40%. If I am up for it by the time you are actually complete, I might return and give the site as a whole a higher score, depending on what i see.

Thanks to u all, I am still workin on the site and wld finish it soon. I wld definetly come back for a full review.
Re: My Current Project (underconstruction) : : COMPLETED, BUT . . . by jydo306: 7:21am On Jun 19, 2013
I get motivation from you guys..am still crossing my Ts and dotting my Is..will be born soon.. cheesy cheesy
Re: My Current Project (underconstruction) : : COMPLETED, BUT . . . by AFOLSNETWORKS(m): 7:23am On Jun 27, 2013
angry
Re: My Current Project (underconstruction) : : COMPLETED, BUT . . . by GraphicsPlus(m): 11:29am On Jun 27, 2013
That means they need a CMS. It`s either you code a custom CMS from scratch for them using php and mysql OR you convert the website to Wordpress.
Re: My Current Project (underconstruction) : : COMPLETED, BUT . . . by AFOLSNETWORKS(m): 12:04pm On Jun 27, 2013
GraphicsPlus: That means they need a CMS. It`s either you code a custom CMS from scratch for them using php and mysql OR you convert the website to Wordpress.
converting to wordpress might seem to be the best way out, how do I do that? Any easy to use free software or how can it be achieved?
Re: My Current Project (underconstruction) : : COMPLETED, BUT . . . by GraphicsPlus(m): 1:14pm On Jun 27, 2013
Best way would be to get a fresh copy of Wordpress, then edit the default template or install a template you like, then manually create pages/posts and copy the content from the html static site.

Wordpress works in a straight-forward way. If you know a bit of php, you are good to go. Just look up for a quick online tutorial and get it done immediately.

Or you can call upon any of these guys here like: "miracle4" and pay him to get it done for you.

(1) (Reply)

What Tools Or Sites Can I Use To Create And Sell Ebooks? / Why Cant Couple Take Photo With Their Ex-lovers During A Wedding Event? / Simple Trick To Sign In With Different Account On Your Firefox Browser

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.