Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,741 members, 7,824,138 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:08 AM

Chinese Supercomputer Is Now The World's Fastest - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Chinese Supercomputer Is Now The World's Fastest (963 Views)

Chinese Firm Completes Major Power Project In Nigeria - Punch / Top 8 Countries With World’s Fastest Internet / Scientist Gets $1.3B To Build A Supercomputer Replica Of A Human Brain (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chinese Supercomputer Is Now The World's Fastest by Blackteeth(m): 1:44am On Jun 18, 2013
Every six months, the Top500 organization reveals its list of the world’s fastest supercomputers. And for the past few lists, there’s been a lot of movement. In June 2011, it was Japan’s “K” supercomputer. In June 2012, it was IBM‘s Sequoia. In November 2012, Cray took the lead with its Titan supercomputer. And now there’s a new fastest supercomputer – the Chinese Tianhe-2.
The Tianhe-2 was built by the National University of Defense Technology in China. It is the successor to the Tianhe-1A supercomputer, which topped the list of world’s fastest supercomputers in November of 2010. It will be deployed at the National Supercomputer Center in Guangzho – two years ahead of schedule.
Tianhe-2 is built entirely with Intel processors. It contains 16,000 nodes, which each contain two Xeon IvyBridge processors and three Xeon Phi processors, for a total of 3,120,000 total processor cores. And those cores are doing the job. According to the benchmarks used by Top500, it performs a staggering 33.86 petaflop/s. That’s nearly twice as fast as Titan, which has a performance benchmark of 17.59 petaflop/s.
And just to show you how far things have come in just two and a half years, the Tianhe-1A performs at 2.56 petaflop/s. Don’t feel too bad for the old winner, thought – it’s still the 10th fastest supercomputer in the world.
Another aspect of the Tianhe-2 is that it shows how rapidly China is advancing in the world of IT. Although the processors may have come from Intel, everything else – from the design to the operating system – was developed in China.
Of course, that’s an exception as far as the list goes. As far as computer manufacturers go, IBM dominates the Top 500 list. Five of the top ten fastest supercomputers were built by IBM, as were 34 of the top 100. Cray and Fujitsu also have quite a few on the list as well. So while China may have the world’s fastest supercomputer, they still have plenty of competition.
You can check out the full list of the world’s 500 fastest supercomputers here.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexknapp/2013/06/17/chinese-supercomputer-is-now-the-worlds-fastest-by-a-lot/
Re: Chinese Supercomputer Is Now The World's Fastest by Blackteeth(m): 1:46am On Jun 18, 2013
All of una wey dey yab chinko products, you guys should keep yabbing as chinko dey advance with full speed.

1 Like

Re: Chinese Supercomputer Is Now The World's Fastest by onitshaigbo(m): 3:27am On Jun 18, 2013
Doesn't matter. I still won't buy chinko phones, Huawei or Tecno.
Re: Chinese Supercomputer Is Now The World's Fastest by Blackteeth(m): 9:22am On Jun 18, 2013
onitshaigbo: Doesn't matter. I still won't buy chinko phones, Huawei or Tecno.

Do you realize that iphones and samsungs are all made in china but under foreign names? Besides, chinko phones are only intentionaly targeting the poor folks who cant afford the luxury of samsung and apple. Pray that you aint hit with poverty. Thats when you will appreciate chinko phones giving you more for little price.
They keep rising and improving day by day.

1 Like

Re: Chinese Supercomputer Is Now The World's Fastest by onitshaigbo(m): 2:27pm On Jun 18, 2013
Blackteeth:

They keep rising and improving day by day.

True, their quality does get better. But they never set the trend. It's always Apple / Samsung making the pioneer move, and chinko phones doing the chasing.

iPhones and Samsung Galaxy S4's assembled in China cannot count as Chinese in any sense. They could be assembled in Nigeria too if not for the higher cost of logistics and power here.
Re: Chinese Supercomputer Is Now The World's Fastest by hunkydory(m): 1:29am On Jun 19, 2013
America is afraid of china dominating the world because the world buys from china.
Re: Chinese Supercomputer Is Now The World's Fastest by Blackteeth(m): 10:15pm On Jun 19, 2013
onitshaigbo:

True, their quality does get better. But they never set the trend. It's always Apple / Samsung making the pioneer move, and chinko phones doing the chasing.

iPhones and Samsung Galaxy S4's assembled in China cannot count as Chinese in any sense. They could be assembled in Nigeria too if not for the higher cost of logistics and power here.

The truth is that iphone and samsung do not manufacture their phones wholely all by themselves. Especially iphone. Different specialized companies in different countries produce different parts of the phone before they are finally assembled. If chinese Techno for instance gets their parts from these specialized companies then why wouldnt Techno products match iphones and samsungs in quality? What I see is that Techno is sourcing their parts from within china, partly contributing to the low cost. This is a good move that would pay off in future for these chinese companies.
Samsungs and iphones have been in existence long before these chinese phone companies started picking up, so I dont expect them to beat the iphones and samsungs overnight. But one thing is certain, they will get there one day. They are just begining. Beginners dont give high quality at the start.

1 Like

Re: Chinese Supercomputer Is Now The World's Fastest by onitshaigbo(m): 10:18pm On Jun 19, 2013
Blackteeth:
The truth is that iphone and samsung do not manufacture their phones wholely all by themselves. Especially iphones. Different specialized companies in different countries produce different parts of the phone before they are finally assembled. If chinese Techno for instance gets their parts from these specialized companies then why wouldnt Techno products match iphones and samsungs in quality? What I see is that Techno is sourcing their parts from within china, partly contributing to the low cost. This is a good move that would pay off in future for these chinese companies.
Samsungs and iphones have been in existence long before these chinese phone companies started picking up, so I dont expect them to beat the iphones and samsungs overnight. But one thing is certain, they will get there one day. They are just begining. Beginners dont give high quality at the start.

You got a point there about all these companies basically sourcing parts from the same suppliers. However, and correct me if I'm wrong, the design of a phone is much more than just having the components, it's about how each part is used with respect to memory partition and power usage, etc. It's a real balancing act.

I sure as hell hope that more companies can make quality smartphones to drive down the prices.
Re: Chinese Supercomputer Is Now The World's Fastest by Blackteeth(m): 10:48pm On Jun 19, 2013
onitshaigbo:

You got a point there about all these companies basically sourcing parts from the same suppliers. However, and correct me if I'm wrong, the design of a phone is much more than just having the components, it's about how each part is used with respect to memory partition and power usage, etc. It's a real balancing act.

I sure as hell hope that more companies can make quality smartphones to drive down the prices.

Yes. But its easier to design than bringing the design to reality. If these component manufacturers mess up during the process of bringing designs to reality then that is when we will begin to have fake products.
Apple for instance will only tell corning that produces the gorilla glass that the need a glass protector of a certain shape, size and weight. If corning doesnt get the specification right then the quality of iphones is at stake.
Re: Chinese Supercomputer Is Now The World's Fastest by onitshaigbo(m): 1:38am On Jun 20, 2013
Blackteeth:

Yes. But its easier to design than bringing the design to reality. If these component manufacturers mess up during the process of bringing designs to reality then that is when we will begin to have fake products.
Apple for instance will only tell corning that produces the gorilla glass that the need a glass protector of a certain shape, size and weight. If corning doesnt get the specification right then the quality of iphones is at stake.

I'm not an industry insider, but I agree with you that design is less difficult than the technical aspect of manufacturing the components.

So you're saying, since the chinkos could make these technically-complex components, they could make decent phones. However, they lack the design expertise which makes the user-experience enjoyable and intuitive.

A Lenovo Thinkpad may be more technically more advanced than a MacBookPro, but the Mac gives the user a better experience, and just as important, a feeling of superior status/taste/identity. In this aspect, the chinkos are very lacking.
Re: Chinese Supercomputer Is Now The World's Fastest by Blackteeth(m): 9:10am On Jun 20, 2013
onitshaigbo:

I'm not an industry insider, but I agree with you that design is less difficult than the technical aspect of manufacturing the components.

So you're saying, since the chinkos could make these technically-complex components, they could make decent phones. However, they lack the design expertise which makes the user-experience enjoyable and intuitive.

A Lenovo Thinkpad may be more technically more advanced than a MacBookPro, but the Mac gives the user a better experience, and just as important, a feeling of superior status/taste/identity. In this aspect, the chinkos are very lacking.

A macBookPro maybe superior to Thinkpad beacause Apple has the resources to hire the best hands in the world and also pay for the most expensive high-texh and quality components to be used on the mac. The chinese firms dont have that kind of resources to deploy on manufacturing and expertise. With time they will get there anyway. They are only comming up.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

(pictures From Mars) Have You Ever Wondered How Other Planet Looked Like / Innovative! Nigerian Undergraduates Built An Eco-friendly Car (photos) / Will Little Flying Planes(drone) Make It To The Nigerian Ecommerce Market?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.