Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,307 members, 7,819,046 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:29 AM

Ex-nnpc Staff Arrested For Vandalising Pipeline - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Ex-nnpc Staff Arrested For Vandalising Pipeline (4923 Views)

2 Scavengers Caught Vandalising Vehicles In Lekki (photos) / Access Bank Staff Arrested For Forgery And Impersonation / NNPC Staff Shoots Boy Dead For ‘chasing’ Daughter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ex-nnpc Staff Arrested For Vandalising Pipeline by AngelicaDivine(f): 5:28am On Jun 18, 2013
LAGOS — Operatives of the Inspector General of Police Special Task Force on anti pipeline vandalism have arrested a former staff of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC, Bashiru Majorette, while allegedly siphoning petroleum product at Odi Ifediwo area of Ogun State.

Preliminary investigation, according to officer in-charge of the unit, Friday Ibadin,an Assistant Commissioner of Police, revealed that the suspect was dismissed from the NNPC following his alleged connivance with pipeline vandals.
He was subsequently arrested, arraigned and sentenced to five years imprisonment and was recently released.

Surprisingly, the suspect disclosed that while in prison, he formed an association with other vandals, with a view to continuing with the illegal business after serving their respective jail terms.

He said he opted to connive with pipeline vandals while still working, following what he described as ill-treatment by the NNPC.

According to him, “I was employed by NNPC to guard the pipeline in 2002. My records are there that my line was always protected because I never allowed vandals to go near the area I was guarding. They (vandals) had approached me severally with thousands of naira but I refused because I wanted a clean record and hoped that I would be promoted.

“But along the line, I discovered that NNPC officials were ingrates. They were in their offices wearing tie, while I was left in the bush to protect pipeline and was given stipends. We complained severally and were told that the contractor who employed us on behalf of NNPC was the one that should be held responsible.

“I decided to help myself to survive out there in the bush. Whenever they wanted to operate, I would pretend as if I never knew that they were there unless NNPC officials at the technical room discovered a drop and raised an alarm that vandals were in my area.

Vandals can be deadly

“It was only then that I started enjoying the dividend of the job because all this while I had risked my life for nothing. Those vandals can be deadly, if you do not allow them to work. This explains why most of our security men prefer to allow them to function with impunity. Those days, I was dreaded because I used all within my reach to protect the pipelines.”

Arrest and conviction

On his arrest and conviction, Bashiru accused one Dosumu of betraying him by informing NNPC that he was allowing vandals to operate.

He said: “Dosumu was sacked because NNPC suspected him. He came to me and asked to operate in my area and I refused. He decided to leak my secret to NNPC. Normally, whenever there is a drop in pressure, we would be alerted and to reduce the heat on us or the vandals, we would tell them that there was a leakage. Dosumu, out of envy, reported that all those leakages were the activities of vandals and that I was very much aware.

“I was at our weekly meeting on September 14, 2008, when policemen came and arrested me. I was later told that there was a petition against me, alleging that I was into NNPC pipeline vandalisation. I was remanded in prison and later convicted to five years imprisonment by Justice Okeke.”

Many pipeline vandals in prison

In prison, Bashiru met most of the vandals in prison and quickly joined their association.

He said: “I was shocked at the number of pipeline vandals that I knew that were in Ikoyi prison. I tried my best to secure my bail but failed because I did not have enough money to pay lawyers.

“I resigned to my fate and joined the association, and since I had more information, I became an authority in the group. Those who were able to secure their bail ensured that our interests were protected in all their deals. They paid our own share of the money in our accounts while we controlled deals outside through our phones. The guys outside knew the importance of keeping to the agreement before they left because one day, they would be arrested and brought to the prison.”

My release from prison

On his release from prison, Bashiru said: “On May 16, 2012, I was released from prison after five years. Normally, anyone that was released would be advised to go underground. This was what I did but I never knew that the police had got my number and was tracking my calls through some vandals that were in their net.

“Unfortunately, that night I was patrolling the area to alert those in the bush whenever I spotted security operatives. Two men accosted me and I thought they were marketers and I stopped. It was when they slapped me that I realised that they were security operatives. I couldn’t believe that I was heading back to the prisons. My plan was to raise money and start my own business.

How he was arrested

“Please, Nigerians should help me to appeal to the police to give me another chance. There was no other way for me to survive than to go back to the same crime. I am very sorry.”

Explaining how he was arrested, Ibadin said: “Police got a tip off that vandals were operating in Odi Ifediwo area of Ogun State.

“Policemen led by Sector Commander, Lagos, DSP Onaghise Osayande, cordoned off the area and in the process arrested Bashiru. They also recovered a DAF truck with number plate XJ359DKA as well as the spot where they planted three valves with hose of about 100 metres. I was shocked to realise that Bashiru whom I arrested five years ago was freed and was back to the same crime.”

Source: http://infonigeria24.com/ex-nnpc-staff-arrested-for-vandalising-pipeline/

Re: Ex-nnpc Staff Arrested For Vandalising Pipeline by SLIDEwaxie(m): 6:48am On Jun 18, 2013
the most observed attitude of a poor man will be the mannerism of using the word, 'because'.if u wanna stay irresponsible and poor, learn that word and keep it healthy in ur life.
[img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/1159997_NNPC-SUSPECT_jpgb7954e81a293c4d902b0ded3e672ffbf[/img]our nigerian police are really trying now o. dem even give the guy puff puff chop ontop counter. wether he go finish am or not go remain between him and more puffins to come grin

1 Like

Re: Ex-nnpc Staff Arrested For Vandalising Pipeline by Nobody: 6:54am On Jun 18, 2013
See as his cheek swell like super loaf bread. Bloody thief. Hand the criminal over to zealous home boys make them give am nice jungle justice.
Re: Ex-nnpc Staff Arrested For Vandalising Pipeline by ogb5(m): 8:33am On Jun 18, 2013
The guy is just like many people i have come across in Nigeria. When you employ them they are never satisfied with what they are paid.

Instead of resigning and look for better paying job, they will be scheming daily on how to defraud their employer

2 Likes

Re: Ex-nnpc Staff Arrested For Vandalising Pipeline by idupaul: 8:41am On Jun 18, 2013
ogb5: The guy is just like many people i have come across in Nigeria. When you employ them they are never satisfied with what they are paid.

Instead of resigning and look for better paying job, they will be scheming daily on how to defraud their employer

Give a Nigerian employment today as a non skilled office assistant and after a month they will start frowning about how they are not being treated like people in Chevron .. Very sad
Re: Ex-nnpc Staff Arrested For Vandalising Pipeline by loverboy3060: 9:35am On Jun 18, 2013
great
Re: Ex-nnpc Staff Arrested For Vandalising Pipeline by Nobody: 9:36am On Jun 18, 2013
Never a good 'ex'
Re: Ex-nnpc Staff Arrested For Vandalising Pipeline by baggylips(m): 9:39am On Jun 18, 2013
Once a scapegoat,always a scapegoat.hv a nice trip to prison grin
Re: Ex-nnpc Staff Arrested For Vandalising Pipeline by Temismith(f): 9:42am On Jun 18, 2013
D Result of ojukokoro

1 Like

Re: Ex-nnpc Staff Arrested For Vandalising Pipeline by dulphines: 9:42am On Jun 18, 2013
In this business, you need be ready in all ways. Why did you allow them capture you alive? grin
Re: Ex-nnpc Staff Arrested For Vandalising Pipeline by ayobase(m): 9:44am On Jun 18, 2013
The man is being truthful, but not innocent!

U simply resign from a job if the terms and conditions are not palatable, than marring ur intergrity cos of greediness!

He wan do before ni jare...the thing dey sweet am!

1 Like

Re: Ex-nnpc Staff Arrested For Vandalising Pipeline by SenatorTobijah(m): 9:47am On Jun 18, 2013
nwoke'm u have no excuse for going back to d same crime and expect naija 2 appeal 4 u. Maybe now u'll learn that crime doesn't pay
Re: Ex-nnpc Staff Arrested For Vandalising Pipeline by jpphilips(m): 9:59am On Jun 18, 2013
SLIDE waxie: the most observed attitude of a poor man will be the mannerism of using the word, 'because'.if u wanna stay irresponsible and poor, learn that word and keep it healthy in ur life.
[img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/1159997_NNPC-SUSPECT_jpgb7954e81a293c4d902b0ded3e672ffbf[/img]our nigerian police are really trying now o. dem even give the guy puff puff chop ontop counter. wether he go finish am or not go remain between him and more puffins to come grin

when the guy said they gave him hot slap, you think its a joke?
police don slap the guy sotee without uniform, he can differentiate police slap from other slaps, grin grin grin
this kinda long confession, only god knows the beating he has received in detention before singing.

Moderator abeg use your head, that Guy was not an NNPC staff, he was a contractor staff to NNPC
Re: Ex-nnpc Staff Arrested For Vandalising Pipeline by cmespeak: 10:16am On Jun 18, 2013
Angelica Divine: It was when they slapped me that I realised that they were security operatives. I couldn’t believe that I was heading back to the prisons. My plan was to raise money and start my own business.

This guy funny, no be small, from prison to breath fresh air back to prison to continue yr duty, see u in another x yrs hope yr thinking and story will be different when u come out.
Re: Ex-nnpc Staff Arrested For Vandalising Pipeline by Mayany(m): 10:18am On Jun 18, 2013
you couldnt beat the vandals so you join dem abi?well i guess u didnt learn any lesson from d last 5years enjoy your 2nd Adventure
Re: Ex-nnpc Staff Arrested For Vandalising Pipeline by Reachyrich(f): 10:35am On Jun 18, 2013
Not everybody dat carry gun b thief.
Re: Ex-nnpc Staff Arrested For Vandalising Pipeline by Lakayanah: 11:09am On Jun 18, 2013
Why are you all hard on him now is because his pen is not strong enough to siphon it on paper? Haba he is only arranging his gratuity that he missed the honest way.
Re: Ex-nnpc Staff Arrested For Vandalising Pipeline by Nten: 12:58pm On Jun 18, 2013
D prisons is were pple r kept as a punishment 4 a crime committed & also suppose to serve as a rehabilitation centre were d convicted is corrected 4 d ills by inculcating skills so that he/she goes bck to d society a change person.
Pple this days go 2 prison, join association of scoundrels, use phones & become more harden criminals after release is regretably abysmal to our Nigerian prisons.
Re: Ex-nnpc Staff Arrested For Vandalising Pipeline by kreamidiva(f): 1:15pm On Jun 18, 2013
Why wasn't he caught by the JTF?the story would have been difft.foolish dog wey chop bone wey dem hang for him neck!
Re: Ex-nnpc Staff Arrested For Vandalising Pipeline by rawagee: 8:29am On Jun 19, 2013
The topic is misleading. Does this mean that the Kings Guard members are NNPC or CBN staff? Naija journalism na helele, you must always read the lines and what is in-between.
Re: Ex-nnpc Staff Arrested For Vandalising Pipeline by Syenite(m): 8:52am On Jun 19, 2013
He was not a direct NNPC Staff, he was a contractor to NNPC(contract staff).

(1) (Reply)

The Tale Of Lawrence Anini - The Dreadful Robber / Bestial Men On Rampage Is Marriage Worth This Risk? Linda Ikeji / Groom Beaten To Death At His Wedding Reception (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.