Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,815 members, 7,810,130 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:20 PM

Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria (9539 Views)

7 Problems An SME Or Business Owner In Nigeria Must Plan For / My Experiences As A Start-up Business Owner / Execessive Bank Charges-- Come Vent Your Frustrations! Lets Find A Common Voice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by BOMANY: 8:02pm On Jul 20, 2009
@yommyuk

Once again my brother you said it (smart people who know how to work the system). Almost, everyone has his own share of corruption, you are either paying it or gaining, depending on the moment. We do not need a system that SMART PEOPLE KNOW HOW TO WORK IT rather we need a[b] system makes people work on/ with it[/b].

I did not say nija is a failed state. Somalia is a failed state. Afghanistan is a failed state. There is a long list of countries that are closer than nija to be a failed state, e.g. Yemen, Zimbabwe, Burma, Georgia, Honduras, and so on.

However, things in nija does not make it a state of success. Also there is a long list of successful countries before Nigeria and what teases one that you feel most of them do not have things more than Nija, but only one thing, A SUCCESSFUL SYSTEM. They have corruption too, but not like here. In China the sentence of corruption is death. That is why the corrupted people make sure that they are not exposed or cross the lines, they keep it under control, not like here corruption is the fastest way to be a social figure and even run for elected positions.

We are in between, we have so much potentials to make nija a great country as well as we have so much hinders that if we are not careful will make Nija a failed state. Corruption comes on the head of those things that pull Nigeria deep down. And the problem with corruption is that its killing negative effect is hidden and silent like smoke. It is not like a military regime or an armoured rebellion that you can see it and figure out its bad doings. It is you, me and others.

One day I watched a documentary program on BBC about Nigeria, the man visited many places, North, South, East, West, mosques, churches … etc. with every step, he wondered how this country still there till he met one man, a doctor manager of a hospital. The man was so active though the hospital was poor in equipments and supplies. Then the British man said people like this man keep Nigeria from collapsing.

The problem with the system is that people like this man at the back, unseen and uncomforted in their life. The system makes things up side down, we need to correct it but HOW
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by yommyuk: 9:55pm On Jul 20, 2009
@BOMANY

system makes people work on/ with it.
smart people who know how to work the system

both comments stated above in my own opinion are inter-related and mean the same thing

For example china has a very dominate centralised political govt. liberal economic reforms is a front they protray to the outside world.
However Corruption in China is concentrated in sectors with extensive state involvement, such as infrastructure projects, real estate, government procurement, and financial services. Chinese govt has many laws, rules and directives against corruption, however implementation is ineffective. Govt officials in the regional and local levels are very corrupt due to the economical reforms in place hence making corruption a high return, low risk activity. smart people who know how to work the system A SUCCESSFUL SYSTEM

if we are not careful will make Nija a failed state
I disagree! Why?

Nigeria is a country that has experienced war in the 1960s and everybody knows that is not the way forward. Most Nigerians under the age of 50
are educated to high school level. We are very entreprising and business oriented. We have got a very large informal business sector which is
the back bone of our economy. This system has existed for centuries b4 the colonist came. This is one of the reason the british could not run the
country by direct rule because we are self sufficient people. Govt or no govt people will survive.

That is why the yard stick the West are using to evaluate and measure us flaws. In the UK, The citizens are heavily reliant on govt policies. The
country is heavily regulated. What they have is a welfare system which covers the govt policy blunders in real terms. 40% child Poverty rate. They have a 10 million work force population. over the last 12 months nearly 350 thousands lost their jobs making the economy shrink by 4.5%. Do you
know the cause ? Govt policies that favoured the financial sector which was exploited by the city guys.
smart people who know how to work the system[/b]A SUCCESSFUL SYSTEM

[b]The system makes things up side down, we need to correct it but HOW

John F. Kennedy And so, my fellow Americans(Nigerians), ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country

Naijas must invest in their own country to create employment.
Increase investment in Manufacturing
Diversify business activity in other sectors - Agriculture, fashion, textile, etc
Stop re-electing politicians with bad track record
Be more law abiding
stop nepotism and favourtism
stop celebrating ill gotten wealth.

The mentality must change.
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by cfagbata(m): 4:12am On Jul 22, 2009
@ yommy

I share your sentiments.

In our little corners we also have a role to play as a citizens. Nigeria can work - I strongly believe that. Don't get me wrong, I also face the same challenges that every business person faces but I am a diehard optimist. I believe in my country because I dont have any other.

If Lagos state can where a new look for the first time in many years, it means that the one purposeful leader can make Nigeria great.
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:00pm On Jul 22, 2009
@yommyuk, I wish all nigerians will become as open minded as you are. In my last comment on this topic i said alot about depending on ourselves but Nigerians are not quite ready to stop blaming the government and take their destinies into their own hands. Sooner or later, things will happen that will force everyone to become self reliant and only then would we start growing.
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by sley4life(m): 4:45am On Jul 24, 2009
light
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by vezycash(m): 1:16am On Jul 26, 2009
Oga Author, R u not a Nigerian? This one you are referring to Nigerians as them, and your location is port-harcourt na wa oh!
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by ellagold(m): 7:19pm On Jul 27, 2009
The name of your business dream is very important ,so i advise any one starting a biz to carefully choose the name because a good name is better than gold.Then you must also be mindful of your words and thoghts about your biz.Nigeria is a great country because i know you are a great person so dont be discourage by whatever you are facing now as a biz you will surely make it.
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by vezycash(m): 7:55pm On Jul 27, 2009
tru talk Mr gold.
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by rtforex: 10:13am On Jul 28, 2009
Just keep moving and never give up.Troubles come and go but only the relentless survive
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by vezycash(m): 11:19am On Jul 28, 2009
We get choice?
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by trisurface: 12:43am On Jul 31, 2009
Is there anything to learn from Business going southwards because of system failures-Yes
Is there anything to learn from not trying the system at all-No
We're not all thieves. Everyday people make money in Nigeria by doing it right. Its Easier. Its Easier because they're so many people doing it wrong.
Italians have had the Mafia for so long. Its benefitted Italy nothing.
The Japanese have the Yakuza. Japan is known for its Electrinics & Industries instead.
The Japanese have formal training systems & a system that encourages Parochialism,discourages non conformity,encourages Tenure. Its gotten them nothing. America supports non conformity in Education, Business. Encourages Innovation at any age, supports Meritocracy. America is the home of new inventions.
Nigeria's problems will remain for a while.
Dont Hold ur breadth, waiting for it to be over. Breathe out, In,out,in, then Get to work. Keep ur eyes peeled. be sensitive to your environment/Ur Spirit. Get help.Spiritual/Human. Trust people, then check up on them. Be Nice. Be Patient. Let go of Hurts. Dont Generalise. Think Big.
Pray.
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by keyremotes(m): 1:04pm On Aug 04, 2009
THERE ARE VERY FEW TRUST WORTHY PEOPLE AROUND.
LET THE HOLY SPIRIT GUIDE YOU.
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by xabi4eva: 10:11am On Aug 05, 2009
the problem is that there are so many scams and 419 people out there that even legitimate businesses are seen as one. its too bad but we are 90% corrupt
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by keyremotes(m): 10:27am On Aug 05, 2009
xabi4eva:

the problem is that there are so many scams and 419 people out there that even legitimate businesses are seen as one. its too bad but we are 90% corrupt
You said it right.
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by MrCrackles(m): 10:29am On Aug 05, 2009
xabi4eva:

90%. . . .Nah more like 99% corrupt! grin
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by Bigstuff: 11:28am On Aug 09, 2009
Thanks to all you great guys! and ladies ! on this thread . I am new to the link but would like to salute you all for your various contributions . To you Nuclearboy! well done for your thought provoking write up .Nuclear boy you may not appreciate or believe this but I can tell you confidently that you are not a 'Nigerian' if you know what I mean. You sound more like Chinese to me . You are 'Wicked' boy and you should keep this up . The game is not for the average business man or the average investor otherwise you lose out . You have to be the top of the range to Excel which you have clearly demonstrated by your approach and mind set which says loads about you.
I was opportuned to visit The people's Republic of China recently on business trip . It was my first trip to that part of the world . Shanghai is a beautiful city and also travelled to Zhenghzhou capital of the Henan Province as I was told ,more on this to come later ! . The business trip was successful but I was Angry and sad  for Nigeria and was crying in my heart for Nigeria throughout my one week stay in China.
All you see and feel and smell  around you is industry, hardwork and determination  of young men and women! It tells you loads about the mindset of the people hence the point about Nuclearboy!
From what I saw during my trip young people essentially drive the Economy mainly between ages 18- 28/30 . Boy if you are 35yo you are too old and I think this is serious . Every where you go. Airports, duty free shops , the hotels,restaurants ,businesses the yYoungpeople are at the frontline smartly dressed,active and full of Energy and courteous .I Suspectthe big guys are behind the scene.
There is a lot more to be said but in summary a people can achieve a lot by simply switching their 'MINDSET' and be ready to do the hardwork as exemplified by the 'Chinese boy' in the House Nuclearboy!

Later Guys !

Bigstuff[quote][/quote]When the student is ready the teacher appears! - Robert Kiyosaki
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by frdolaclub(m): 11:46pm On Aug 11, 2009
Hi friends,

Life is full of ups and down. You have to see the positive of everything now and then and behave as if the negative sides never exisited. That is the secret of champions.

Cheer up always now and then.
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by vezycash(m): 4:44pm On Aug 17, 2009
Can you tell me it is easier to setup legitimate biz in this 9ja?
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by romero(m): 2:02pm On Nov 13, 2009
Too much responsibility like having many children(child spacing or having one or two children is the best), more than one wives(mary only one wife, some of your girl or woman friend can turn to be a second wife), school fees, house rent, etc is one of the challenges business men face anywhere in the world. Ignorance and Lack of proper planning, jealousy (doing what your neighbour is doing compulsorily) are other factors militating agains business men. Some businesses are not meant to make profit in the 1st or 2nd year, but because of high responsibility, the owner starts eating from the capital even b4 making profit.
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by OAM4J: 5:24am On Nov 14, 2009
I took time to read this thread from beginning to the end, and quite appreciate the fact that my time was not wasted. But why? Why cant we do business in Nigeria like every other places.

In 2005, I was invited by a friend to come to Nigeria and invest in Fish pond, he said so many beautiful things about it. Showed me, the feasibility, a land I can lease etc… I thank God today that I didn’t lease that land, but bought one. Built a pond and started the fish pond. 3 years down the line nothing to show for the whole investment; economy problem, bad employee, power, etc. I had to close the business. My only gain was the land appreciation. So I decided to keep the land. Only this year I heard some omo onile were thinking of selling the land, had to rush to Naija to sell the land off. I kept the money in one of the banks in Naija. Now with all this news about the banks in Naija, I am now thinking of moving my money out as soon as it matures. If my money is with me I can sleep with 2 eyes closed.

But then, should it be like this? I love my country, I wish to invest in it and help the economy, I wish to bring in more fund and invest more but now even the little I have, have to be moved out again. It’s just too bad.
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by yanizi(f): 2:10pm On Nov 15, 2009
well,if u do business in nigerian,still meet so many bad people,i donnot know how to say!
i meet some good businessmen who do business honestly,but i met too many on line,they liars.by the way,these on line who always finds execuse that he can not show him in webcam,he 100% scammers.
so donnot waste time on these scammers.

by the way,welcome nice nigerian friends do business with me if u need good quality garments!
yani
china
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by OAM4J: 11:42pm On Apr 25, 2010
@moderator

nice decision! sticking this topic. it is a must read for people planning to invest in Nigeria.

Not to discourage but to prepare them for the likely challenges they may face and for them to be well prepared.

Also those who have concrete solutions to some or any of the problems can share them.
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by mistermm(m): 8:55pm On Apr 27, 2010
I understand how you feel, all the same we still have the good ones, You just have to keep looking and seraching. There is nothing I am going to tell you now that will make you believe am honest, all I have to say is for you to be very cautious and careful with your dealings with anybody even if he or she is your blood relation. Humans are Unpredictable, You may reach me on my email: micmilles@yahoo.com

Michael
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by mistermm(m): 8:58pm On Apr 27, 2010
@Yanizi can you please email me at micmilles@yahoo.com

I have a biz idea we can both work on,
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by harakiri(m): 10:19am On Apr 29, 2010
Toks2008:

Hi Guys,

There are many factors negating against carrying out a smooth business opeartion in this country. Lets leave the factors we already know like inadequate power, declining economy  and security to mention just very few.

What amazes me is that every employee is only looking for A WAY TO ENRICH THENSELVES not caring about the sustainability of the business. That is why you see many failed banks and businesses. My wife operates a supermart and her experience with employees has given me a miniature view of what happens in larger organisations and thid goes to show that  if you cannot handle your business yourself, you are bound to close up the business.

Each month she does stock taking, large amount are always misapproprated by her staff. and at a stage, we suggested that she closes down the store since whe is still a student hence no time to stay there yet she  keeps on changing employees as rget always leave after finding out how difficult it is to steal money.

I once had a recharge card distribution outlet but was forced to close it down since employees are always stealing the cards and iy was such a horrible experience for me having invested hundreds of thousands just to recover the money nits by bits and not even making a dime as profit.

In 2001, i rented an office apartment and tushed it up to the tune of 1.3million naira, unfortunately i had an accident which affected my spine. Before i could say jack, all my employees left one after the other never taken it upon themselves to build the business up since i was incapacitated at that point in time. So you see how selfish people can become always thinking of themselves. So while i was reculpirating, the rent was counting until i ended up not using the office.

Talk about government parastatals that refuse to pay contract money and many other examples too numerous to elucidiate upon. This is a DOG eat DOG world, nobody cares for anybody. Its always survival of the fittest. Everyone around you is looking for what to get from you even your wife and children,

So the vfrustration will forever continue, lets just pray that GOD gives each and everyone of us a sustainable means of livelyhood.

Toks

Everything needed to be said is indicated in the bolded part above.The tightest reply so far.
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by chinesetea: 9:47am On May 03, 2010
on some matters, i agree with you.
but you can also meet some pleasant nigerians from time to time.
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by sylvercan: 6:13pm On Apr 04, 2011
You clearly decide what it is that you're absolutely committed to achieving,

1. You're willing to take massive action,
2. You notice what's working or not, and
3. You continue to change your approach until you achieve what you want,
using whatever life gives you along the way. IT IS WELL WITH NIGERIA. . . . .[color=#770077][/color]
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by liujenny(f): 6:04pm On Apr 06, 2011
Life to be hard, otherwise the business is unstable?
Honesty, sincerity, integrity ---- to do business. say he is like this. but are not generally more than profiteers?

price250 customer bargain to200 ---- vomiting ,  play games to open the virtual price of 400 the customer bargain to 300 , he is very happy!

So the honest people in the world, such as Jesus Christ, can not make people trust himself,untill he suffered for a long time,

I think the price is so high is simply to open a fairy tale, and if the customer lose, can not do business for more, by the result of the loss of actual price , but they can not understand , Business, and really can not talk about friendship, not for the sake of others it?
undecided undecided undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Mile1 Market In Port Harcourt On Fire / Affiliate Marketing: Take Advantage Of The Multi-Billion Dollar Industry Today! / What Kind Of Business Can I Start With A Hundred Thousand Naira?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.