Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,912 members, 7,952,675 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 08:53 PM

Why Don't Most Nigerian Men Especially The Igbos See Marriage As An Achievement? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Don't Most Nigerian Men Especially The Igbos See Marriage As An Achievement? (7398 Views)

Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? / Igbo-Nigerian Men Are The Most Handsome Men In Africa! / American Women That Marry Nigerian Men (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Don't Most Nigerian Men Especially The Igbos See Marriage As An Achievement? by 9cent(m): 4:12pm On May 09, 2008
i dont understand it. i kinda think marriage is the greatest of all achievement based on the offspring upbringings it comes with. but lots people proved me wrong expecially the igbo men who has the strong believe that marriage ain't worth what some people thought it was. and that they will only manage to put marriage into consideration only if they are having bout #500, 000 in there bank account to settle down.

come to think of it, why are the igbo's so self centered in every aspect of life? money seem to be all and all for them.

i just like the yoruba ways cuz even a gate man who drinks garri morning till night can still marry any wife of his choice without no commitment.

whats happening to the igbo's??
Re: Why Don't Most Nigerian Men Especially The Igbos See Marriage As An Achievement? by frank316(m): 4:38pm On May 09, 2008
you are just looking for trouble

but i wont stoop so low to give it to you
Re: Why Don't Most Nigerian Men Especially The Igbos See Marriage As An Achievement? by Ezinwannem: 5:14pm On May 09, 2008
you're really looking 4 trouble ooooooooooooo, what is wrong with u? is that why Yorubas can't stay in their husband's/wife's house,

come 2 think of it, as an Igbo maself, I can't marry someone dat gat no potential in life. dere is no need bringing children into this world and make them suffer, like being hawkers in da streets of lagos,
Re: Why Don't Most Nigerian Men Especially The Igbos See Marriage As An Achievement? by sheniqua: 5:19pm On May 09, 2008
9cent:

i don't understand it. i kind of think marriage is the greatest of all achievement based on the offspring upbringings it comes with. but lots people proved me wrong expecially the igbo men who has the strong believe that marriage ain't worth what some people thought it was. and that they will only manage to put marriage into consideration only if they are having bout #500, 000 in there bank account to settle down.

come to think of it, why are the igbo's so self centered in every aspect of life? money seem to be all and all for them.

i[b] just like the yoruba ways because even a gate man who drinks garri morning till night can still marry any wife of his choice without no commitment[/b].

whats happening to the igbo's??

I honestly hope the highlighted part is not true
That a man will marry a woman without commitment. shocked shocked shocked
If it's true tell me who should be commended then?
I'll rather be single than marry the man you just described
Re: Why Don't Most Nigerian Men Especially The Igbos See Marriage As An Achievement? by sheniqua: 5:23pm On May 09, 2008
Igbos value marriage as an institution and would stick it out ,(sometimes to their own detriment.)
But the fact that Igbos generally would work at a marriage , involve umunna and ndi umuada in their marital disputes,take it to the priest and pastors without first running to the customary courts is highly commendable and should be emulated.
That singular reason could be why divorce in Igboland is not as frequent as in western and midwestern Nigeria.

If he has to wait a few more years till he's financially able in order to marry a wife,we'll wait with him grin
who wants to marry a man and live in his parents "family home" ?
Re: Why Don't Most Nigerian Men Especially The Igbos See Marriage As An Achievement? by Ezinwannem: 5:26pm On May 09, 2008
@sheniqua, well said
The whole UMUNNA/UMUADA would make u think very well b4 getting into marriage, as Sheniqua said, datz why divorce really aint 2 common
Re: Why Don't Most Nigerian Men Especially The Igbos See Marriage As An Achievement? by whitelexi(m): 5:27pm On May 09, 2008
@Poster:
E be like say ibo man don thief your babe with him money, that is why u can come here and openly display your intelligent embarrassment.
Re: Why Don't Most Nigerian Men Especially The Igbos See Marriage As An Achievement? by Templa(m): 5:30pm On May 09, 2008
@ 9kobo

abeg delete this topic.  sad

*rolls out *
Re: Why Don't Most Nigerian Men Especially The Igbos See Marriage As An Achievement? by sheniqua: 5:32pm On May 09, 2008
Ezinwannem:

@sheniqua, well said
The whole UMUNNA/UMUADA would make u think very well before getting into marriage, as Sheniqua said, datz why divorce really aint 2 common

My sister  hotstepper wink
what these people fail to understand is that marriage in Igboland is not just between the couple involved
When for intance you marry nwanne m Da junta,.you marry his own family and kindred [b]and no member of the both families will let a marriage break down in their watch.[/b]They'll do whatever they can to help.
It is a shameful thing to return the brideprice even it were one kobo.
so we don't go looking for lawyers just because he bought kpomo instread of ice fish grin
Re: Why Don't Most Nigerian Men Especially The Igbos See Marriage As An Achievement? by sheniqua: 5:36pm On May 09, 2008
Midolo:

This guy is spewing rubbish! I'm Yoruba but what you typed up there is really silly. Please my Igbo brothers, ignore this fool.

Thanks dear.
Of course we know there are many Yorubas who don't think the way the poster does.
There are tons of Yorubas married to Igbos and that is the proof right there.
Re: Why Don't Most Nigerian Men Especially The Igbos See Marriage As An Achievement? by dangermous: 5:38pm On May 09, 2008
Igbo people don dey name their pikin Sheniqua eh shocked

Abi one of your parents na Jamo

Olia ka e di
Re: Why Don't Most Nigerian Men Especially The Igbos See Marriage As An Achievement? by Ezinwannem: 5:40pm On May 09, 2008
sheniqua, yes oooooooooo, Umunna and da rest r powerful oooo, dere is no such thing as going 2 court, lol,
That's why once a member of that family doesnt like u esp. either of da parents, abeg, run ooooo, love wont change anything, lol,
Re: Why Don't Most Nigerian Men Especially The Igbos See Marriage As An Achievement? by sheniqua: 5:53pm On May 09, 2008
dangermous:

Igbo people don dey name their pikin Sheniqua eh shocked

Abi one of your parents na Jamo

Olia ka e di

forget the writing on the moto and enter the moto grin
Re: Why Don't Most Nigerian Men Especially The Igbos See Marriage As An Achievement? by Uche2nna(m): 5:56pm On May 09, 2008
I agree with U, sheniqua but sometimes the interference dey toomuch. The fear of Umuada seems like the begining of wisdom angry
Re: Why Don't Most Nigerian Men Especially The Igbos See Marriage As An Achievement? by sheniqua: 6:00pm On May 09, 2008
Yes you're right they can go overboard no doubt but I don't think that was the intention.
I ask a lot of questions right from childhood and I came to know that there are many couples of my parents age and younger that had a kindred mediation at some point or the other and most of these marriages survived.
If it were here in the USA for instance,they would have divorced .
Re: Why Don't Most Nigerian Men Especially The Igbos See Marriage As An Achievement? by dangermous: 6:00pm On May 09, 2008
sheniqua:

forget the writing on the moto and enter the moto grin

asampete nwanyi cool
Re: Why Don't Most Nigerian Men Especially The Igbos See Marriage As An Achievement? by sheniqua: 6:01pm On May 09, 2008
dangermous:

asampete nwanyi cool

ibu onye Igbo?
Re: Why Don't Most Nigerian Men Especially The Igbos See Marriage As An Achievement? by wendymanda: 6:02pm On May 09, 2008
So this is another thread started too allow tribal bashing but no one has fallen for it.

Mr 9 nonsense

You sir are a dumbass
Re: Why Don't Most Nigerian Men Especially The Igbos See Marriage As An Achievement? by Ezinwannem: 6:08pm On May 09, 2008
@wendymanda, his own dumbass no be small, lol. He's being ethnocentric and refuses 2 accept other people's way of life, lol
Re: Why Don't Most Nigerian Men Especially The Igbos See Marriage As An Achievement? by sheniqua: 6:09pm On May 09, 2008
Uche,in my part of Igboland I assume others too,there's always a middle man during the traditional marriage celebrations.
My dad has been a middle man in many weddings of his friends daughters.
The middle man serves as a neutral go between in the negotiations.
The grooms family have to go to the middle man before proceeding to the bride's right from after the "iku aka".
The middle man is also informed when the marriage is about the hit the rocks and they rally around to offer help.
That is traditional Igbo custom.
and when the marriage does dissolve or the groom dies and the woman needs to remarry,the middle man is involved in the returning of part or whole of the dowry to the groom side so the woman traditionally becomes free to marry another.
That is Igbo custom.

That's why our marriages are not seen as complete without the traditional customs some of which I've described.
It may differ from place to place in Igboland
Re: Why Don't Most Nigerian Men Especially The Igbos See Marriage As An Achievement? by wendymanda: 6:10pm On May 09, 2008
Ezinwannem:

@wendymanda, his own dumbass no be small, lol. He's being ethnocentric and refuses 2 accept other people's way of life, lol

He is the primate example that idiots or imbeciles can type
Re: Why Don't Most Nigerian Men Especially The Igbos See Marriage As An Achievement? by dangermous: 6:11pm On May 09, 2008
abum onye honorary igbo grin
Re: Why Don't Most Nigerian Men Especially The Igbos See Marriage As An Achievement? by TheSly: 6:14pm On May 09, 2008
Anotha bunkum stories thread.
Re: Why Don't Most Nigerian Men Especially The Igbos See Marriage As An Achievement? by Ezinwannem: 6:16pm On May 09, 2008
@sheniqua , true oooooooo as u have mentioned sum of our traditions.
In my hometown, if my mother didnt do her traditional marriage, none of her daugther (s) would and dat goes on until who knows,
Re: Why Don't Most Nigerian Men Especially The Igbos See Marriage As An Achievement? by Nobody: 6:19pm On May 09, 2008
@poster
why you de insult ibo men, be nice embarassed
Re: Why Don't Most Nigerian Men Especially The Igbos See Marriage As An Achievement? by rubi(f): 6:19pm On May 09, 2008
sheniqua, yes oooooooooo, Umunna and da rest r powerful oooo, dere is no such thing as going 2 court, lol,
That's why once a member of that family doesnt like u esp. either of da parents, abeg, run ooooo, love wont change anything, lol,

A family friend of mine wanted 2 leave her hubby's house. Always complaining 2 da parents that da man abuses her. So, da parents decided 2 pay them a visit. They sat both of them down 2 hear their stories,

The father asked her daugther "u said he abuses u, has he eva touched u, as in beaten u before"?. The daugther said no daddy, but the kind of stuff he says to me,

The father said " my friend, when he says those stuff, say it back to him", da man said, stay at your husband's house, I thought it was a serious issue, lol, perhaps, it wasnt a serious issue because verbal abuse 2 him aint an abuse because it might have been said out of annoyance, lol

Ezinwannem, I personally think that involving too many relatives in ones the name of keeping family tie is a litle dangerous that is why husband and wife should very matured and well equipped before marriage
Re: Why Don't Most Nigerian Men Especially The Igbos See Marriage As An Achievement? by princeonx: 6:24pm On May 09, 2008
Another Anti-Igbo onyeberebe
Re: Why Don't Most Nigerian Men Especially The Igbos See Marriage As An Achievement? by oziomatv(m): 6:52pm On May 09, 2008
Old boy , see all the Biafran war lords gathering and marking time, waiting for the D-line to slice 9cent. It should have been the battle of the day.

who no know na person dey show am,

Igbos valued marriage but we like to get financial security for our wives and children first, the high demand of our girls and the high bride price in igboland makes us hard working and prosperous in life. And it has been working for us.
Re: Why Don't Most Nigerian Men Especially The Igbos See Marriage As An Achievement? by dangermous: 6:54pm On May 09, 2008
oziomatv:

Old boy , see all the Biafran war lords gathering and marking time, waiting for the D-line to slice 9cent. It should have been the battle of the day.

who no know na person dey show am,

Igbos valued marriage but we like to get financial security for our wives and children first, the high demand of our girls and the high bride price in igboland makes us hard working and prosperous in life. And it has been working for us.

Skinny bobo like you. If you pound your chest any harder, e go burst o
Re: Why Don't Most Nigerian Men Especially The Igbos See Marriage As An Achievement? by oziomatv(m): 6:59pm On May 09, 2008
dangermous:

Skinny bobo like you. If you pound your chest any harder, e go burst o
It's in vogue now, not that your pot belley, can you see your D**K without mirror?
Re: Why Don't Most Nigerian Men Especially The Igbos See Marriage As An Achievement? by Nwaka77: 6:04am On May 11, 2008
Here we go again, tribe, tribe, tribe undecided

I'm out
Re: Why Don't Most Nigerian Men Especially The Igbos See Marriage As An Achievement? by echelon(m): 1:34pm On May 11, 2008
Ndi Igbo unu siri ike. Anu kporo nku na-eju onu. Akuko dimkpa na-ato n'onu. A na m ekele ooo

(1) (2) (Reply)

Alaafin Aole Curse On Afonja / Rich Black Africans Vs. Rich Black Americans / Why Are Somali People So Beautiful?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.