Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,944 members, 7,952,808 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 03:05 AM

Mom's Favorite Phrases . . . New Moms Pick your Choice. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Mom's Favorite Phrases . . . New Moms Pick your Choice. (4702 Views)

New Moms Guide / My Mom Is Missing / I Am Falling Apart With My Mom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mom's Favorite Phrases . . . New Moms Pick your Choice. by 4Him1(m): 10:32pm On May 11, 2008
All your mother ever said to you condensed in a song.

[flash=425,355]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CWhf2QK3UI&hl=en[/flash]

There ya go! Recognize your mum when you were growing up? grin
Re: Mom's Favorite Phrases . . . New Moms Pick your Choice. by Cadet(f): 10:38pm On May 11, 2008
Most of my mom's favorite phrases are in yoruba, and I dnt know much yoruba songs that contains funny phrases grin
Re: Mom's Favorite Phrases . . . New Moms Pick your Choice. by Cadet(f): 10:38pm On May 11, 2008
David, am lost, what are we suppose to post on this thread?
Re: Mom's Favorite Phrases . . . New Moms Pick your Choice. by 4Him1(m): 10:40pm On May 11, 2008
Sorry its a video but i'm trying to get it posted, check back later. its really funny . . . i'll get the lyrics too. grin
Everything your mother ever said to you growing up is there.
Re: Mom's Favorite Phrases . . . New Moms Pick your Choice. by Cayon(f): 2:11am On May 13, 2008
My mom always say to me " You are not better than anyone and no one is better than you wink
Re: Mom's Favorite Phrases . . . New Moms Pick your Choice. by spoilt(f): 2:52am On May 13, 2008
My mother had so many phrases which i resented then but now i find myself using them on my daughter who is only a toddler. grin
" Dont eat what you don't grow in your backyard", "Its not what you wear but how you wear it", "the best thing you can do for yourself is give yourself a bath", "dont expect any special thank yous for motherhood" , etc etc

she was right. she was sooooooo right. grin
Re: Mom's Favorite Phrases . . . New Moms Pick your Choice. by yemivictor: 10:08am On May 13, 2008
Mapa mi mi o pa iya mi! undecided
Re: Mom's Favorite Phrases . . . New Moms Pick your Choice. by Aladunni(f): 5:02pm On May 13, 2008
"nkan too ni je, ma fi run imun e" what you will not eat dont bring it near your nose

"eyan ti o ni je ko jeun yo, ko fi tie pelu e" whoever will not give you rest must be taken care of beforehand
Re: Mom's Favorite Phrases . . . New Moms Pick your Choice. by sheniqua: 5:32pm On May 13, 2008
One of my mom's favorite (she had plenty) was
are we going to break your head and put intelligence inside it?
Re: Mom's Favorite Phrases . . . New Moms Pick your Choice. by sheniqua: 5:33pm On May 13, 2008
another one was

These kids you won't kill me
God won't allow it
Re: Mom's Favorite Phrases . . . New Moms Pick your Choice. by LASIEFAIRE(m): 5:35pm On May 13, 2008
wa mu garri wo, emi e a tutu,
translation: you will drink garri, your soul will cool down
My mums friends said this to her son while they were arguing. the way she said it was so funny.
Re: Mom's Favorite Phrases . . . New Moms Pick your Choice. by yemivictor: 8:54am On May 14, 2008
LASIEFAIRE:

wa mu garri wo, emi e a tutu,
translation: you will drink garri, your soul will cool down
My mums friends said this to her son while they were arguing. the way she said it was so funny.

LOL! grin

That's so funny!

sheniqua:

One of my mom's favorite (she had plenty) was
are we going to break your head and put intelligence inside it?

I guess you must have been . . . dull!? undecided
Re: Mom's Favorite Phrases . . . New Moms Pick your Choice. by spoilt(f): 2:14am On May 15, 2008
yemivictor:

I guess you must have been . . . dull!? undecided

Oh no he didnt?! shocked sheniqua dont take it standing! grin
Re: Mom's Favorite Phrases . . . New Moms Pick your Choice. by yemivictor: 1:36pm On May 15, 2008
spoilt:

Oh no he didnt?! shocked sheniqua don't take it standing! grin

Hmmm . . . drum of war beater! grin

Well done, you hear!? grin grin

Sheniqua, you know i was only joking right!?? undecided
Re: Mom's Favorite Phrases . . . New Moms Pick your Choice. by elizabetta(f): 3:42pm On May 15, 2008
Am your mother i know what is good for you.
Re: Mom's Favorite Phrases . . . New Moms Pick your Choice. by 4Him1(m): 3:53pm On May 15, 2008
If i get at you ehn.

I will almost kill you today.

Shebi you know i will tell your father.
Re: Mom's Favorite Phrases . . . New Moms Pick your Choice. by blush(f): 3:58pm On May 15, 2008
"Stop crying or I'll give you something real to cry about"

LOL

yep, thats my mum, Rest her Soul sad
Re: Mom's Favorite Phrases . . . New Moms Pick your Choice. by Boondoggle(m): 10:38pm On May 16, 2008
Wow! Just when I thought all nice topics have been exhausted on NL, bang! comes this lovely one that takes me down memory lane. Mothers are really precious and they leave indelible  " marks"  on their children in all respect as we can see in the foregoing postings . My mumsy has a bunch of "sayings" that still rings a bell in my head every now and then and I have incorporated some of these into my vocab as well. Here are but a  few that comes to mind at this moment:

When I  went out without permission and got caught -  Aakin ile ti yin o ki nta yin nidi  -   literally, termite of your own house does not sting your bums . . just to say your own stuff does not interest you.

When I vandalised  anything (mostly toys) in the house - she says this with a heavy knock at the center of my head - Baseje obi ti nso leerun:  don't know how to interprete this

When caught doing something wrong and got pardoned -  Ijo ti o ba tun dan wo, ma se tekia mewa fun e: don't know how to interprete this in either

Here is another warning but more serious than above - maa  na  e, ma so moona mo  e  niidi  - Can't interprete this as well

When any thing got broken carelessly - ijo ti o ba tun fo anything ninu ile yi, ma fi ko ila si e loju ni: next time you break anything in this house, I will use the broken pieces to give you tribal marks. She never did!

This one is from her collection of encouraging words -  olorun to da enu ni ibunbu o ti mo ohun ti yio fi bo: God that created the mouth with a slanting shape knew before hand what will go inside it.

This is always her last advise to an unyielding soul - O je lo bosi ibikan, ki o sun orun meje ti eda nsun, ko ro inu e daaaada - You'd better go somewhere and sleep the seven sleeps human beings sleep and think deep down.

Now, my all time favorite and once she issues this warning, then, be rest assured that the next slight misbehaviour will attract thorough spanking which no "jupiter" (that 's the way she puts it) can stop - ti  o ban tun danwo, ti nba mu e, wa gba wipe olorun o kola ! Next time you try this, if i get hold of you, you will agree that God does not have tribal marks! lol! 

Shalom  cool
Re: Mom's Favorite Phrases . . . New Moms Pick your Choice. by Nobody: 2:48am On May 17, 2008
"Stop crying or I'll give you something real to cry about"

Typical phrase from my mother!!!!!
Re: Mom's Favorite Phrases . . . New Moms Pick your Choice. by savanaha: 2:58am On May 17, 2008
If I come over there you will forget your name.

Keep doing that and I will give you azu.

Did I tell you to talk? Answer  me.

Not a mom but love these.
Re: Mom's Favorite Phrases . . . New Moms Pick your Choice. by bunmii(f): 3:16am On May 17, 2008
my mom's favourite were
as you lay your bed you will lie on it
you this girl you are growing wings am i your mate?
mark this day on the wall as the day -----------

slightly off topic
my dad's was " do you have a brain in your head followed by a knock on the head
Re: Mom's Favorite Phrases . . . New Moms Pick your Choice. by tpia: 3:58am On May 17, 2008
maybe you have another mother somewhere?

next favorite phrase of hers when she's really pissed off at being questioned over some rule or advice she gave:

God will give you understanding oohhhh.

said in a very nasty tone. She doesnt like arguing with younger folks.
Re: Mom's Favorite Phrases . . . New Moms Pick your Choice. by iice(f): 4:13am On May 17, 2008
Momsi's favorite phrase even up to now is
"Use your common sense!" - am very grateful she used those words cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Mom's Favorite Phrases . . . New Moms Pick your Choice. by amsky(m): 8:48pm On May 17, 2008
This is such an interesting thread. cheesy
My mom used to say, If i catch you there your eyes will see your ears.

By the time i'm done with you,you'll ask if i'm your mother.

did you not suck breast? Why do you behave as if i never breast fed you?

bunmii:

my mom's favourite were
as you lay your bed you will lie on it
you this girl you are growing wings am i your mate?
mark this day on the wall as the day -----------

slightly off topic
my dad's was " do you have a brain in your head followed by a knock on the head

THis one from bunmi made me laugh till i cried. I can imagine her dad knocking her head to confirm if there's a brain in it. grin grin grin

Another one my mom used to say
THose people that came first second and third do they have two heads? or are they from jupiter?
Re: Mom's Favorite Phrases . . . New Moms Pick your Choice. by tpia: 9:35pm On May 18, 2008
amsky:

did you not suck breast? Why do you behave as if i never breast fed you?

your mom sounds like my own mother oh.
Re: Mom's Favorite Phrases . . . New Moms Pick your Choice. by RampantT(f): 1:04am On May 19, 2008
Wa gba egba e -> come and take your beating o grin grin grin
Re: Mom's Favorite Phrases . . . New Moms Pick your Choice. by cashoggy(f): 12:47pm On May 19, 2008
When I returned from primary school in those days, my mum would  back me and sing for me then ask me if teacher beat me, if I said Yes she would say 'to ba tun na e, emi ati tisha a ti ese bo sokoto kanna (me and your teacher will wear one trouser leg if he beats you again grin)

After eating my food and I wanted to eat with her again, she would say 'lo pe abimo-ma-jeun wa' (meaning, go and call a mother that shouldn't eat because she has a child cheesy)

If I broke a plate = eru ile oko e din eyo kan leni (plates you will take to your husband's house have reduced by 1 number )

If I spoilt anything = nkan ti o baje yen ju e lo o (the spoilt thing is older than you,  it was bought before you were born o)'

If she wanted to send me on errand I didn't want to do = Oko mi, tele lo, ti o ba de  ma fun e ni nkan rodorodo (a promise for something precious).

If scolded and I cried she would give me bucket and say 'ti o ba kun ma tun na e si' =  if your tears did not fill the bucket I would beat you the more

If she saw me walk corner-corner with a  boy = mo ti ka A B D temi debi GBI, omo ti o ba ko ti ko kawe, to ba loyun esin, a se eru omo egbe e (child who gets pregnancy while her mates are studying will become slave to her mates who studiesf)   shocked

oh, the list is endless, my momma had  them plenty-plenty. But such phrases really helped in shaping a spoilt brat I was then (last born, not my fault) cheesy

,  and this one: If I was being a nuisance around the house, she would ask me to go and collect 'arodan' from one neighbour (arodan liretally means 'stand/stay endlessly'. A child on arodan errand was  meant to be detained by the neighbour while the kid's mother enjoyed some peace at home. Somehow, all the adults knew the meaning except the children and they wouldn't tell us (wicked adults tongue )! We on our part were so gullible we wouldn't ever ask what the arodan actually looked like, Meen, I ran too many arodan errands in those days before I wisened up cry cry embarassed
Re: Mom's Favorite Phrases . . . New Moms Pick your Choice. by unit(f): 11:52am On May 20, 2008
My mum's phrases always started with 'Ay ay ay' followed by pharses like
'I will kill you today'.
'Am tired of all of you(children)I will leave you and your father and go to my father's house then you will know how it feels to have a stepmother.
'Eat before I kill you'-when we refuse to eat which was often
'If i hit this your gorimapka head u will just die'

Funny we didn't die just made us better people.
The best mum in the world.
Re: Mom's Favorite Phrases . . . New Moms Pick your Choice. by SeanT21(f): 11:49pm On May 20, 2008
mine was, dont take candy from strangers.
Re: Mom's Favorite Phrases . . . New Moms Pick your Choice. by OsunAmazon: 3:12am On May 21, 2008
funny
Re: Mom's Favorite Phrases . . . New Moms Pick your Choice. by bigfather(m): 4:12am On May 21, 2008
Mine was in yoruba:
Ila o kin ga ju oni re lo;meaning : the okro tree does not grow taller that the person harvesting it,i.e a child still reamins a child to his parents.Even though you are a parent yourself.
She even says that uptill now that i don marry get pickins o ! Mothers can be funny atimes . grin
Re: Mom's Favorite Phrases . . . New Moms Pick your Choice. by spora1: 3:06pm On Jun 13, 2008
If mama was doing something and I was disturbing, she would say "Lo gba arodan wa lodoo ____". Literally means, go and collect ARODAN from ____". Now when you get to that person, (s)he will ask you to sit down, while (s)he was looking for it. You could be there for three hours without being responded to.

She used to say when offended "Ori e o so ohun ti o gba fun e". Your head does not know what it wanted. i.e. You are not serious.

Ori e sore fun e. Positive way of saying you are unfortunate.

Long time!

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Toothpaste Broke Marriage! / I Beat Up My Husband Because He Is Irresponsible / Caption This Photo Of A Man As He Watch His Wife Giving Birth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.