Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,712 members, 7,809,701 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:30 PM

Is It Godly To Pay Brideprice And Dowry? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Godly To Pay Brideprice And Dowry? (4528 Views)

7 Values To Teach Our Children To Make Them Grow Into Godly Men And Women / Is It Godly To Use Fighting-Rams For Sallah? / Is It Godly For Two Hiv Positive Person To Get Married? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Godly To Pay Brideprice And Dowry? by DukeNija(m): 1:14pm On Jun 23, 2013
I got into a discussion with my brother and he said i should give him a reference in the bible where God asked for bride price or dowry payment before marriage and amazingly, I couldnt. All I saw was that it was customary to pay dowry, but not mandatory, as long as the parents of the woman give their consent. I still believe there's a place in the bible where the issue of dowry was mentioned. Besides payment of dowry seems very wrong to me because there's bargaining involved, and this seems like buying and selling. Are our women sold like cattles and yams? grin undecided i need opinions with bible references.
Re: Is It Godly To Pay Brideprice And Dowry? by okenwa(m): 1:16pm On Jun 23, 2013
Yes, it is godly
Re: Is It Godly To Pay Brideprice And Dowry? by Nobody: 1:23pm On Jun 23, 2013
It is not a Christian act but customary, even where it was mentioned in the new testament, it was customary not a Christian act. Even the church wedding we have today is an english custom and not in the bible.
Re: Is It Godly To Pay Brideprice And Dowry? by DukeNija(m): 2:24pm On Jun 23, 2013
blink182: It is not a Christian act but customary, even where it was mentioned in the new testament, it was customary not a Christian act. Even the church wedding we have today is an english custom and not in the bible.

Nice one. Can you give the bible reference?

(1) (Reply)

Are Catholics Stupid? / No, The Muslim Jesus Is Not Even Close To The Jesus Of The Bible / The Tricks Of Pastor Oyakhilome

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.