Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,748 members, 7,809,859 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:07 PM

The Meaning Of "Day" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Meaning Of "Day" (1892 Views)

What Is The Meaning Of Picking Ripe And Unripe Plantain In A Dream? / Dear Nigerian's, Do You Know The Meaning Of These Symbols / What Is The Meaning Of The Tree Of Life? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Meaning Of "Day" by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:28pm On Jun 23, 2013
The Meaning of "Day"
June 23, 2013

"And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day" (Genesis 1:5).

Many people today, professing to believe the Bible, have compromised with the evolutionary philosophy which dominates our society by accepting its framework of geological ages. This system interpretes the rocks and fossils in terms of a supposed 4.6 billion-year history of the earth and life culminating in the evolution of early humans perhaps a million years ago. In order to justify this compromise, they usually say that the "days" of creation really correspond to the geological ages, arguing that the Hebrew word for "day" (yom) does not have to mean a literal solar day.

Oh, yes, it does—at least in Genesis chapter one! God, knowing that the pagan philosophers of antiquity would soon try to distort His record of creation into long ages of pantheistic evolution (as in the Babylonian, Egyptian, Greek, and other such ancient cosmogonies), was careful to define His terms! "God called the light Day," and that was the first day with its evening and morning. All subsequent days have followed the same pattern—a period of darkness (night), then a period of light (day).

One may quibble about the exact length of the day if he insists (e.g., equatorial days versus polar days), but there is no way this definition can accommodate a geological age. This is the very first reference to "day" (or yom) in the Bible, and this is given as an actual statement of the meaning of the word.

This ought to settle the question for anyone who really believes the Bible. One may decide to believe the evolutionary geologists if he wishes, instead of God, but he should at least let God speak for Himself. God says the days of creation were literal days, not ages. "In six days the LORD made heaven and earth" (Exodus 31:17). HMM

For more . . . .

2 Likes

Re: The Meaning Of "Day" by Nobody: 5:58pm On Jun 23, 2013
The truth is, man is limited in his perception of God
Re: The Meaning Of "Day" by FromGuiriga(m): 12:31am On Jun 24, 2013
OLAADEGBU: The Meaning of "Day"
June 23, 2013

"And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day" (Genesis 1:5).

Many people today, professing to believe the Bible, have compromised with the evolutionary philosophy which dominates our society by accepting its framework of geological ages. This system interpretes the rocks and fossils in terms of a supposed 4.6 billion-year history of the earth and life culminating in the evolution of early humans perhaps a million years ago. In order to justify this compromise, they usually say that the "days" of creation really correspond to the geological ages, arguing that the Hebrew word for "day" (yom) does not have to mean a literal solar day.

Oh, yes, it does—at least in Genesis chapter one! God, knowing that the pagan philosophers of antiquity would soon try to distort His record of creation into long ages of pantheistic evolution (as in the Babylonian, Egyptian, Greek, and other such ancient cosmogonies), was careful to define His terms! "God called the light Day," and that was the first day with its evening and morning. All subsequent days have followed the same pattern—a period of darkness (night), then a period of light (day).

One may quibble about the exact length of the day if he insists (e.g., equatorial days versus polar days), but there is no way this definition can accommodate a geological age. This is the very first reference to "day" (or yom) in the Bible, and this is given as an actual statement of the meaning of the word.

This ought to settle the question for anyone who really believes the Bible. One may decide to believe the evolutionary geologists if he wishes, instead of God, but he should at least let God speak for Himself. God says the days of creation were literal days, not ages. "In six days the LORD made heaven and earth" (Exodus 31:17). HMM

For more . . . .

Brother, this is interesting....What do you think about the day never ending. In terms of what we call daytime in one country is night time in another country. According to scholars or scientist or at least what they teach in schools is that we experience night when the earth is on the other side of the sun or the moon something along those lines. But if you take a closer look, there is really no night as the sun never stops shining.
I have more questions but one thing at a time as I'm slow in learning.

What is you take on this reasoning?

Give thanks.
Re: The Meaning Of "Day" by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:20pm On Jun 24, 2013
Bidam:

The truth is, man is limited in his perception of God

True. The more we study His Word the better we understand our world and the more we study our world the more we understand the nature of God.

"For the invisible things of Him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse" (Romans 1:20)
Re: The Meaning Of "Day" by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:51pm On Jun 24, 2013
From_Guiriga:

Brother, this is interesting....What do you think about the day never ending. In terms of what we call daytime in one country is night time in another country. According to scholars or scientist or at least what they teach in schools is that we experience night when the earth is on the other side of the sun or the moon something along those lines. But if you take a closer look, there is really no night as the sun never stops shining.

Give thanks.

That's a good observation. It is true that day and night happens simultaneously depending on the location. It is the evidence of a revolving earth. In Luke 17:34-36 we see that the 2nd Coming of our Lord Jesus Christ will happen while some are asleep at night and others are busy working during the day.

"I tell you, in that night there shall be two men in one bed; the one shall be taken, and the other shall be left. Two women shall be grinding together; the one shall be taken, and the other left. Two men shall be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left" (Luke 17:34-36).

The world revolves around the sun just as our world revolves around the Son. wink
Re: The Meaning Of "Day" by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jun 24, 2013
Hello peeps,

Surely we can't conclude that creation took place in just 6 consecutive days...it's possible that the 'day' used in Sacred scriptures is the literal 'day' as we know it but again this can be 6 days spaced over several thousand years i.e one day after each several thousand years but in all they amount to 6 days.

There is also the possibility that when God said 'day', he is actually defining it the way he sees it and not necessarily as man sees it. We know too well that a day for God is like a thousand years for man...so it is possible that when God said 'the first day', he actually meant the first 100,000 days or more as man would see it.

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of "Day" by Nobody: 4:22pm On Jun 24, 2013
From_Guiriga:

Give thanks.

Hello Gui,

Interesting thought and quite frankly, you are spot on...but considering that at the time of creation there was nothing like various continents at the time and the Earth was inhabited, I would say the ish of a constant day wouldn't arise then because even after the creation of the first man, what really mattered was the location of this man.

From the location of Adam, there was nothing like a constant day or night. It would be just night and day....Also, we have reasons to believe that there was just one supercontinent before the various continents slowly drifted away; and from that viewpoint, there might just be a unified night and day...just saying.
Re: The Meaning Of "Day" by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:45pm On Jun 25, 2013
striktlymi:

Hello peeps,

Surely we can't conclude that creation took place in just 6 consecutive days...it's possible that the 'day' used in Sacred scriptures is the literal 'day' as we know it but again this can be 6 days spaced over several thousand years i.e one day after each several thousand years but in all they amount to 6 days.

While you are still assuming, presuming and guessing, the Bible is certain on when the universe was created, how it was created, why it was created and how long it took to be created. God did not leave it for our deliberation.

striktlymi:

There is also the possibility that when God said 'day', he is actually defining it the way he sees it and not necessarily as man sees it. We know too well that a day for God is like a thousand years for man...so it is possible that when God said 'the first day', he actually meant the first 100,000 days or more as man would see it.

The bible is written for us to understand. If a day means 100,000 years how long would be the day of rest if I may ask?
Re: The Meaning Of "Day" by Nobody: 5:34am On Jun 26, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

While you are still assuming, presuming and guessing, the Bible is certain on when the universe was created, how it was created, why it was created and how long it took to be created. God did not leave it for our deliberation.

The bible is written for us to understand. If a day means 100,000 years how long would be the day of rest if I may ask?

Never mind!
Re: The Meaning Of "Day" by Emusan(m): 9:09am On Jun 26, 2013
@OLAADEGBU
Thanks for bringing this thread up! The idea of billion years by secular people is still rolling in the mind of some christians today that's why, they themselves can't speak authoritatively to support their stand in Genesis. Many christians support the billion years by looking at the natural world through the glass of evolution. Even some christians cannot say precisely that Life originated from God but you will see them saying something "well God might use evolution to make life happen". I pray we christians will continue to interpret this natural world with the power of the Holyspirit.

@strik
Please let's hold on to God's word. God cannot lie! We should know if account of creations in Genesis is wrong then the whole Bible is wrong-Note that

In the Bible the word 'Hour' occurs more than 50times but anywhere is being used it simply means 'instantly'. If Hour means 'instantly' then 'Day' I believe is just like few hours then.

Again by saying literal Day can be 100,000years it means we limited God's omnipotent, what make Him God if He cannot command and action takes place? I have seen on a thread when one atheist said in the creation of Plants there was a day, night and photosynthesis before sun appeard that means Bible is wrong. To my surprise no christian give accurate answer because we're still looking at the works of God through evolutionary perspective.

Photosynthesis is just a method by which plants make their food to enable them to grow and produce seed. Which is a process that God has placed upon all plants to survive.

If Jesus can command a fig tree to dry up instantly, can God also not command a mature trees to come out instantly?

Remember the first statement in creations account is 'Let there be........ Not let the light begins to appear, let plants begin to grow......but Let there be' which is a command statement from omnipotent God and any statement that follow must obey the command.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of "Day" by Nobody: 9:45am On Jun 26, 2013
Morning Emusan,

Emusan:
@strik
Please let's hold on to God's word. God cannot lie! We should know if account of creations in Genesis is wrong then the whole Bible is wrong-Note that

Noted!!!

Now can you show us where I said or implied the following:

1) God lied!
2) The creation account in Genesis is wrong.

Emusan:
In the Bible the word 'Hour' occurs more than 50times but anywhere is being used it simply means 'instantly'. If Hour means 'instantly' then 'Day' I believe is just like few hours then.

Now, if you can believe that the day talked about in Genesis is just a few hours, what then is wrong with me saying that it might just be 100,000 years? Note that I didn't even state what I believe like you did!

Emusan:
Again by saying literal Day can be 100,000years it means we limited God's omnipotent, what make Him God if He cannot command and action takes place?

Well Emusan, the bold are your words not mine....when one says that the 'day' talked about in Genesis could mean a thousand years, this is not the same as the individual saying that God cannot create the Universe in an istant.

You agree that God finished the work of creation in 6 consecutive days...does this mean that God cannot finish the same task in just one day or one second?...do we now say that because God decided to do it this way then he is not omnipotent?

The point you are missing here is this: Saying that God decided to do something in a particular way is different from saying that God cannot do it.

If God choose to create the world in 6 days, evenly spread over 5 million years, then that's his choice... Sacred scriptures made us understand that the way God looks at a day is very different from the way humans look at it...

2 Peter 3:8
King James Version (KJV)

8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

Psalm 90:4
King James Version (KJV)

4 For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.

This is one major reason why people get confused when Jesus said he will come soon...we expect the soon to be as man defines it but God's ways are not the ways of man.

So Emusan, I do not see any conflict between my OP and sacred scriptures...if there is any, do point it out.

Emusan:
I have seen on this thread when one atheist said in the creation of Plants there was a day, night and photosythesis that means Bible is wrong. To my surprise no christian give accurate answer because we're still looking at the works of God through evolutionary perspective. Photosythesis is just a method by which plants make their food to enable them to grow and produce seed. Which is a process that God has placed up all plants to survive.

If Jesus can command a fig tree to dry instantly can God also not command a mature trees to come out instantly?

Remember the first statement in creations account is 'Let there be........ Not let the light begins to appear, let plants begin to grow......but Let there be' which is a command statement from omnipotent God and any statement that follow must obey the command.

Thanks.

I don't think you are referring to this thread because no Atheist posted before you and no one has talked about photosynthesis.

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of "Day" by Emusan(m): 11:48am On Jun 26, 2013
striktlymi: Morning Emusan,
Same!!!

Now can you show us where I said or implied the following:
1) God lied!
2) The creation account in Genesis is wrong.

No! I didn't say so pls.

What I mean is the view of the OP 'Day is Day' which is just 24hrs and the Genesis made it clear that it happened instantly. If event happened in a day it doesn't mean it spand from 12:00am-11:59pm but we still term it a day.

Now, if you can believe that the day talked about in Genesis is just a few hours, what then is wrong with me saying that it might just be 100,000 years? Note that I didn't even state what I believe like you did!

Well Emusan, the bold are your words not mine....when one says that the 'day' talked about in Genesis could mean a thousand years, this is not the same as the individual saying that God cannot create the Universe in an istant.

You agree that God finished the work of creation in 6 consecutive days...does this mean that God cannot finish the same task in just one day or one second?...do we now say that because God decided to do it this way then he is not omnipotent?

The point you are missing here is this: Saying that God decided to do something in a particular way is different from saying that God cannot do it.

If God choose to create the world in 6 days, evenly spread over 5 million years, then that's his choice... Sacred scriptures made us understand that the way God looks at a day is very different from the way humans look at it...

2 Peter 3:8
King James Version (KJV)

8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

Psalm 90:4
King James Version (KJV)

4 For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.

This is one major reason why people get confused when Jesus said he will come soon...we expect the soon to be as man defines it but God's ways are not the ways of man.

So Emusan, I do not see any conflict between my OP and sacred scriptures...if there is any, do point it out.
Ok!

I don't think you are referring to this thread because no Atheist posted before you and no one has talked about photosynthesis.

I have change it I meant a thread.
Re: The Meaning Of "Day" by Nobody: 1:38pm On Jun 26, 2013
Emusan:
Same!!!

No! I didn't say so pls.

What I mean is the view of the OP 'Day is Day' which is just 24hrs and the Genesis made it clear that it happened instantly. If event happened in a day it doesn't mean it spand from 12:00am-11:59pm but we still term it a day.

Ok!

I have change it I meant a thread.

Okay, at least I get your meaning!
Re: The Meaning Of "Day" by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:44pm On Jun 26, 2013
striktlymi:

Never mind!

Read and meditate on this verse and you might come to put your trust in the Word of God instead of the fallible words of sinful men.

"For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: therefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it" (Exodus 20:11).
Re: The Meaning Of "Day" by FromGuiriga(m): 2:03pm On Jun 26, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

That's a good observation. It is true that day and night happens simultaneously depending on the location. It is the evidence of a revolving earth. In Luke 17:34-36 we see that the 2nd Coming of our Lord Jesus Christ will happen while some are asleep at night and others are busy working during the day.

"I tell you, in that night there shall be two men in one bed; the one shall be taken, and the other shall be left. Two women shall be grinding together; the one shall be taken, and the other left. Two men shall be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left" (Luke 17:34-36).

The world revolves around the sun just as our world revolves around the Son. wink

Help me out here, "God called the light day" What is this light?
The darkness he called night. Where or what is it?

As what we call night is simply the blocking of the sun by the moon. At least that is what I was taught in school.

I ask because it sound, at least to me as if God is creating these this things but they are simply an effect of his creation. Did God not know this?

Thanks in advance.
Re: The Meaning Of "Day" by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:43pm On Jun 26, 2013
From_Guiriga:

Help me out here, "God called the light day" What is this light?
The darkness he called night. Where or what is it?

As what we call night is simply the blocking of the sun by the moon. At least that is what I was taught in school.

I ask because it sound, at least to me as if God is creating these this things but they are simply an effect of his creation. Did God not know this?

Thanks in advance.

What was the first thing God created and when was the sun created?
Re: The Meaning Of "Day" by Freksy(m): 8:06am On Jun 27, 2013
June 23, 2013

Genesis 1:3-31 is not discussing the original creation of matter or of the heavenly bodies. It describes the preparation of the already existing earth for human habitation.

The first part of Genesis indicates that the earth could have existed for years before the first Genesis "day," though it does not say for how long. However, it does describe what earth's condition was just before that first "day" began:

"And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters" —Gen 1:2

Nobody knows for how long the earth had being in that condition before the first creative day.

In Gen 1:4&5 God is said to divide day into a smaller period of time, calling just the light portion "day".
"And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness. And God called the light Day , and the darkness he called Night . And the evening and the morning were the first day" Gen 1:4,5

In Gen.2:4 all the creative periods are refered to as one "day":
"These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day (all the creative periods) that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens," - Gen 2:4
Does the word "day" as used in Gen 1:4; Gen 1:5 and Gen 2:4 convey the same meaning and length of time?

For more . . . .

Here you are the one speaking for God. He never said the bolded. The Hebrew word yohm, translated "day," can mean different lengths of time.

A part (just the light portion) of the first creative day was also refered to as "day". Gen 1:5

All the creative days were also refered to as one "day". Gen 2:4

"Day" as used in the Bible can also include summer and winter, the passing of seasons..... (involves many days) Zechariah 14:8

"The day of harvest" involves many days. Compare Prov 25:13 YLT and Gen 30:14.

A thousand years are likened to a day. Psalm 90:4; 2 Peter 3:8, 10

"Judgment Day" covers many years. Matt 10:15; Rev 20:4,11 -13

Therefore, it would seem reasonable that the "days" of Genesis could likewise have embraced long periods of time — millenniums.

2 Likes

Re: The Meaning Of "Day" by Nobody: 8:29am On Jun 27, 2013
Freksy:

Genesis 1:3-31 is not discussing the original creation of matter or of the heavenly bodies. It describes the preparation of the already existing earth for human habitation.

The first part of Genesis indicates that the earth could have existed for years before the first Genesis "day," though it does not say for how long. However, it does describe what earth's condition was just before that first "day" began:

"And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters" —Gen 1:2

Nobody knows for how long the earth had being in that condition before the first creative day.

In Gen 1:4&5 God is said to divide day into a smaller period of time, calling just the light portion "day".
"And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness. And God called the light Day , and the darkness he called Night . And the evening and the morning were the first day" Gen 1:4,5

"These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day (all the creative periods) that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens," - Gen 2:4
Does the word "day" as used in Gen 1:4; Gen 1:5 and Gen 2:4 convey the same meaning and length of time?

Here you are the one speaking for God. He never said the bolded. The Hebrew word yohm, translated "day," can mean different lengths of time.

A part (just the light portion) of the first creative day was also refered to as "day". Gen 1:5

"Day" as used in the Bible can also include summer and winter, the passing of seasons..... (involves many days) Zechariah 14:8

Therefore, it would seem reasonable that the "days" of Genesis could likewise have embraced long periods of time — millenniums.

Very reasonable, even from the perspective of Sacred scriptures!!!

2 Likes

Re: The Meaning Of "Day" by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:27am On Jun 27, 2013
striktlymi:

Very reasonable, even from the perspective of Sacred scriptures!!!

Very reasonable from the perspective of Gap and ruin construction theories.

Re: The Meaning Of "Day" by FromGuiriga(m): 1:18pm On Jun 27, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

What was the first thing God created and when was the sun created?

According to Genesis it was the heavens and the earth.
According to somewhere in the new testament it was Jesus.

Can you please address my questions as well.

Thanks.
Re: The Meaning Of "Day" by FromGuiriga(m): 2:00pm On Jun 27, 2013
striktlymi:

Hello Gui,

Interesting thought and quite frankly, you are spot on...but considering that at the time of creation there was nothing like various continents at the time and the Earth was inhabited, I would say the ish of a constant day wouldn't arise then because even after the creation of the first man, what really mattered was the location of this man.

From the location of Adam, there was nothing like a constant day or night. It would be just night and day....Also, we have reasons to believe that there was just one supercontinent before the various continents slowly drifted away; and from that viewpoint, there might just be a unified night and day...just saying.

I'm just trying to understand you know....
According to the writer of Genesis God call the light day and the darkness he called night.
Alright, then:

14 Then God said, “Let there be lights in the firmament of the heavens to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs and seasons, and for days and years; 15 and let them be for lights in the firmament of the heavens to give light on the earth”; and it was so.

Here we have God creating lights again to divide day and night. On the fourth Day! But did not take care of this in the first day that was evening and morning?

Can anyone reconcile this for me.

Thanks in advance.
Re: The Meaning Of "Day" by FromGuiriga(m): 2:09pm On Jun 27, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Brother, is this literal? That some are sleep at night and some will be working during the day?
Re: The Meaning Of "Day" by Nobody: 2:15pm On Jun 27, 2013
From_Guiriga:

According to the writer of Genesis God call the light day and the darkness he called night.
Alright, then:

14 Then God said, “Let there be lights in the firmament of the heavens to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs and seasons, and for days and years; 15 and let them be for lights in the firmament of the heavens to give light on the earth”; and it was so.

Here we have God creating lights again to divide day and night. On the fourth Day! But did not take care of this in the first day that was evening and morning?

Thanks in advance.

Hello Gui,

I will address this when I get back to my lappy...

Thanks!
Re: The Meaning Of "Day" by Nobody: 5:39pm On Jun 27, 2013
Hello again Gui,

From_Guiriga:

Cool!

From_Guiriga:
Alright, then:

Your thoughts above are in order and I agree that it does seem like God created light twice. Well I am of the opinion that the 'source' of light for the first day of creation is quite different from that of the fourth day.

The first day, God caused the Earth to be illuminated and thus created a distinction between the darkness which he called night and the light which he called day...this light he created and the darkness that was already there had nothing to do with the sun and the moon...

We see a 'recreation' of the Genesis story as far as the light and darkness are concerned in Egypt during the time of Moses...

Exodus 10:21-23
New International Version (NIV)

21 Then the Lord said to Moses, “Stretch out your hand toward the sky so that darkness spreads over Egypt—darkness that can be felt.” 22 So Moses stretched out his hand toward the sky, and total darkness covered all Egypt for three days. 23 No one could see anyone else or move about for three days. Yet all the Israelites had light in the places where they lived.

The darkness as seen above is similar to what we had in the beginning where there was no light to illuminate the night (or darkness) and the light that was with the children of Israel had nothing to do with the sun, just like the first light of creation.

Now, on the fourth day, the sun and the moon were created to govern the day and night. Note that before the creation of the sun and moon, what we had was just light and pitch darkness...the night had no light but this changed when the moon was created.

We see a situation whereby the moon illuminates the darkness (or night) with the aid of the light provided by the sun. This really is understandable given the need to have some degree of light at night.

From_Guiriga:

Thanks in advance.

Thank you too!
Re: The Meaning Of "Day" by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:18pm On Jun 28, 2013
From_Guiriga:

According to Genesis it was the heavens and the earth.
According to somewhere in the new testament it was Jesus

The NT reveals who was concealed in the OT who created the heavens and the earth:

"Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him"(Col.1:15,16).

The Word of God was the One who created all things and brought life into being, He became flesh in the Person of Jesus of Nazareth. Read (John 1:3,4,14)

From_Guiriga:

Can you please address my questions as well.

Thanks.

Read this article as it might touch on your question of the source of light in the first instance.

Sunlight Before the Sun

According to Scripture, God "created the heaven and the earth" on Day One of Creation Week (Genesis 1:1).  Initially all was dark, until God said, "Let there be light" (v. 3).  Days Two and Three saw the oceans, firmament (or atmosphere), continents, and plants formed, as the earth was being progressively prepared for man's habitation.  It was on Day Four that God created the sun, moon, and stars, proclaiming, "Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven" (v. 14), one purpose of which was "to give light upon the earth" (v. 15).

This light was directional, coming from a particular source.  The earth was evidently rotating underneath it, causing alternating periods of light and dark.  "And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night" (v. 5).

Skeptics have long ridiculed the science of biblical creation over this point.  How could there be light bathing the earth before the sun was created?  Obviously the Bible must be in error.  But as always, this apparent error drives us to look more closely at the relevant data, both scientific and biblical.

Actually there are many sources of light, not just the sun.  There are also many types of light, not just visible light.  Short-wave light includes ultraviolet light, X-rays, and others.  Long-wave light includes infrared light, radio waves, etc.  Light is produced by friction, by fire, by numerous chemical reactions, as well as the nuclear reactions of atomic fission and fusion, which is what we think is occurring in the sun.  God had at His fingertips many options to accomplish His purposes.  Light does not automatically require the sun.

Furthermore, we have important data given by the Hebrew words used in the creation account.  When God created "light" in verse 3, the word used connotes the presence of light only, while the word used for "lights" on Day Four is best translated "light bearers," or permanent light sources.  Their purpose was not only to give light, but to serve as timekeepers for man once he was created.  According to the best stellar creation theory now available, light from stars created anywhere in the universe on Day Four would reach earth in two earth days, and would be useful to Adam on Day Six.  (For more information, see Dr. Russell Humphrey's cosmology articles on www.icr.org.)

Keep in mind that the Creation Week was a uniquely miraculous time, and we are justified in speculating that miraculous events may have been taking place outside of today's natural laws.  Especially when we realize that "God is light" (1 John 1:5) Himself, thus no outside natural source is necessarily mandated.

For semi-creationists who claim that the "days" of Genesis 1 must have been long periods of time, a more serious problem arises.  Genesis plainly teaches that plants appeared on Day Three, and the sun on Day Four.  But plants need sunlight for photosynthesis and cannot wait in darkness for millions of years.  If the days were long epochs, as demanded by critics of a literal Creation Week, plants could not survive.

How much better and more satisfying it is to accept Scripture as it stands.  It doesn't need to be fully understood and explained by modern scientific thought; it just needs to be believed and obeyed.

For more . . . .

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of "Day" by Emusan(m): 9:51pm On Jun 28, 2013
OLAADEGBU:
For semi-creationists who claim that the "days" of Genesis 1 must have been long periods of time, a more serious problem arises.  Genesis plainly teaches that plants appeared on Day Three, and the sun on Day Four.  But plants need sunlight for photosynthesis and cannot wait in darkness for millions of years.  If the days were long epochs, as demanded by critics of a literal Creation Week, plants could not survive.

@bold - That's is the major problem of any one putting on the glass of million years of evolutionary to alter the day of Genesis. I pray they will listen and learn.

Good job!!!

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of "Day" by Nobody: 9:55pm On Jun 28, 2013
^^^

Now who is assuming that God is not omnipotent? lipsrsealed
Re: The Meaning Of "Day" by Nobody: 10:12pm On Jun 28, 2013
Now in the event that you guys are unaware, there are plants that can grow without the aid of sunlight and it is known that plants can grow even with the aid of artificial light let alone the light God provided on the first day...
Re: The Meaning Of "Day" by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:31am On Jun 29, 2013
Freksy:

Let us use the Bible to consider the "Days" of Genesis 1. What does the Bible tell us about the meaning of "day" in Genesis 1? A word can have more than one meaning, depending on the context. For instance, the English word "day" can have perhaps 14 different meanings.

In Genesis 1, the first occurrence of "day" means "time" in a general sense. The second "day," where a number is used, refers to an ordinary day, and the third refers to the daylight portion of the 24-hour period. The point is that words can have more than one meaning, depending on the context.

To understand the meaning of "day" in Genesis 1, we need to determine how the Hebrew word for "day", yom, is used in the context of Scripture. Consider the following:

1. A typical concordance will illustrate that yom can have a range of meanings: a period of light as contrasted to night, a 24-hour period, time, a specific point of time, or a year.

2. A classic, well-respected Hebrew-English lexicon (a dictionary) has seven headings and many subheadings for the meaning of yom—but it defines the creation days of Genesis 1 as ordinary days under the heading "day as defined by evening and morning."

A number and the phrase "evening and morning" are used with each of the six days of creation (Gen. 1:5, 8, 13, 19, 23, 31).

3. Outside Genesis 1, yom is used with a number 359 times, and each time it means an ordinary day. Why would Genesis 1 be the exception?

4. Outside Genesis 1, yom is used with the word "evening" or "morning" 23 times. "Evening" and "morning" appear in association, but without yom, 38 times. All 61 times the text refers to an ordinary day. Why would Genesis 1 be the exception?

5. In Genesis 1:5, yom occurs in context with the word "night." Outside of Genesis 1, "night" is used with yom 53 times, and each time it means an ordinary day. Why would Genesis 1 be the exception? Even the usage of the word "light" with yom in this passage determines the meaning as ordinary day.

6. The plural of yom, which does not appear in Genesis 1, can be used to communicate a longer time period, such as "in those days." Adding a number here would be nonsensical. Clearly, in Exodus 20:11, where a number is used with "days," it unambiguously refers to six earth-rotation days.

7. There are words in biblical Hebrew (such as olam or qedem) that are very suitable for communicating long periods of time, or indefinite time, but none of these words are used in Genesis 1. Alternatively, the days or years could have been compared with grains of sand if long periods were meant.

The 19th century liberal Professor Marcus Dods, New College, Edinburgh, said:

"If, for example, the word "day" in these chapters does not mean a period of twenty-four hours, the interpretation of Scripture is hopeless."

If we are prepared to let the words of the language speak to us in accord with the context and normal definitions, without being influenced by outside ideas, then the word for "day" found in Genesis 1, which is qualified by a number, the phrase "evening and morning" and for Day 1 the words "light and darkness" obviously means an ordinary day (about 24 hours).

This is the position of John Calvin on the age of the earth:

"Albeit the duration of the world, now declining to its ultimate end, has not yet attained six thousand years. , God’s work was completed not in a moment but in six days."

Luther also had similar convictions and both were the backbone of the Protestant Reformation that called the church back to Scripture; Sola Scriptura (Scripture alone). Both of these men were adamant that Genesis 1 taught six ordinary days of creation, only thousands of years ago.

And finally, The Almighty God when He commanded Moses to say to the children of Israel in Exodus 31:12:

"Six days may work be done, but on the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work in the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. Therefore the sons of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations, for an everlasting covenant. It is a sign between me and the sons of Israel forever. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day He rested, and was refreshed" (Exodus 31:15–17).

Because God is infinite in power and wisdom, there’s no doubt He could have created the universe and its contents in no time at all, or six seconds, or six minutes, or six hours, after all, "with God nothing shall be impossible" (Luke 1:37).

However, the question to ask is, "Why did God take so long? Why as long as six days?" The answer is also given in Exodus 20:11, and that answer is the basis of the Fourth Commandment:

"For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it."

The seven-day week has no basis outside of Scripture.  In this Old Testament passage, God commands His people, Israel, to work for six days and rest for one, thus giving us a reason why He deliberately took as long as six days to create everything.  He set the example for man.  Our week is patterned after this principle.  Now if He created everything in six thousand (or six million) years, followed by a rest of one thousand or one million years, then we would have a very interesting week indeed.

These are some of the reasons why Christians should build their thinking on the Bible instead on the assumptions of fallible sinners's ideologies. - AiG
Re: The Meaning Of "Day" by Nobody: 4:20pm On Jun 29, 2013
June 23, 2013

For more . . . .
I don't understand.
Re: The Meaning Of "Day" by aletheia(m): 10:38pm On Jun 29, 2013
striktlymi:
^
And the evening and the morning were the first day...not several thousands evenings and mornings.
Re: The Meaning Of "Day" by Nobody: 4:57am On Jun 30, 2013
aletheia:
^
And the evening and the morning were the first day...not several thousands evenings and mornings.

A thousand years for man is but a night's watch for God...

A thousand years has more than 900 hundred evenings for man but still not upto a day in the eyes of God...

(1) (2) (Reply)

"Adam Didn't Die The Day God Said He Would!" / Happy New Year 2014 / Redeemed Now Has Over 32,000 Parishes In Nigeria: Adeboye

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 187
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.