Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,860 members, 7,810,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:40 AM

When Nigeria Played Football In 1994 (Memories) - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / When Nigeria Played Football In 1994 (Memories) (10979 Views)

See Messi's Registration Form At His 1st Club In 1994 / Pictures Of The Nigerian Team From 1994 World Cup / When Nigeria Beat Brazil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Nigeria Played Football In 1994 (Memories) by SuyaEater(m): 5:20am On Jun 24, 2013
Nigeria vs England 1994 @ wembley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXlgKmijLoE
Re: When Nigeria Played Football In 1994 (Memories) by SuyaEater(m): 5:22am On Jun 24, 2013
Re: When Nigeria Played Football In 1994 (Memories) by SuyaEater(m): 5:24am On Jun 24, 2013
Re: When Nigeria Played Football In 1994 (Memories) by SuyaEater(m): 5:27am On Jun 24, 2013
Omo see football.... grin grin grin

Those were the days even brazil were afraid to face us.......look at those and the state of our football today... sad sad sad sad sad
Re: When Nigeria Played Football In 1994 (Memories) by intentional(f): 1:28pm On Jun 24, 2013
Back in d days wen football was alive in Nigeria
Re: When Nigeria Played Football In 1994 (Memories) by collynzo2(m): 1:29pm On Jun 24, 2013
Please I am doing a project, I need a video of Ghana black stars lifting a trophy, I can't seem to find one on YouTube. Can you help me out?
Re: When Nigeria Played Football In 1994 (Memories) by ZN2: 1:30pm On Jun 24, 2013
The Good Old Times.

Now, Look at the National Team Today. sad
Re: When Nigeria Played Football In 1994 (Memories) by momodub: 1:31pm On Jun 24, 2013
nice one
Re: When Nigeria Played Football In 1994 (Memories) by UyiIredia(m): 1:32pm On Jun 24, 2013
Too bad I can't watch it.
Re: When Nigeria Played Football In 1994 (Memories) by dare2think: 1:36pm On Jun 24, 2013
Our recent football is not all doom and gloom. We are still the African Champions and a few months ago, we played well enough to win a major competition.
Re: When Nigeria Played Football In 1994 (Memories) by omanifrank(m): 1:39pm On Jun 24, 2013
remembering when the time was going well..he sweet sha

1 Like

Re: When Nigeria Played Football In 1994 (Memories) by 50calibre(m): 1:40pm On Jun 24, 2013
OMG see jay jay, see soccer! I just feel like crying watching these vids, WTH happened to Nigeria's football.

Those were the days Nigeria played football like chess.
Re: When Nigeria Played Football In 1994 (Memories) by yuzedo: 1:41pm On Jun 24, 2013
Abeg who has the song "Super Eagles of Nigeriaaaaa, we don come, we done come to show you people say we deyyyyyyyy! Okocha, e dey, Amokachi, e dey, Oliseh e dey, Finidi, Finidi George e dey.. Okparaku e dey, Sunday Oliseh e dey, Kanu Nwankwo e deyyyyy! tan tan taran taran taran tan tan tan tan ta ta!" grin grin grin grin

Or Nigeria '99 theme song, "Welcome to Africa, welcome to Nigeria 99, welcome to the land where milk and hoooooneeeeyyyyy flowwwwwsssssss! Ibatago n'obodo oma, ebe mmanu anwu ne loooo, ibatago n'obodo oma ebe ihunanya di".. grin

LOL! I miss dem days when we were proud of our athletes tho! cry
Re: When Nigeria Played Football In 1994 (Memories) by HARDEYLEKE(m): 1:46pm On Jun 24, 2013
Back in d days football...diz days..our super eagles done chop belle full..
Re: When Nigeria Played Football In 1994 (Memories) by yuzedo: 1:48pm On Jun 24, 2013
but did u see those nigerians in the first videos dancing?? my gawd! people's fathers!! grin grin grin grin grin I know their children are on NL, that man shaking nyash looks like Coogar or Rooneyboy's dad, and that woman that was twisting is definitely Texas.cowgirl (she's like 96yrs now).. Idowuogbo was somewhere in that restaurant washing plates in the backyard, and Adaobi123's parents had not gotten visa to london by then. grin

MODs plis be nice, this info is from wikileaks. tongue

4 Likes

Re: When Nigeria Played Football In 1994 (Memories) by Hadone(m): 1:49pm On Jun 24, 2013
Re: When Nigeria Played Football In 1994 (Memories) by khalids: 1:52pm On Jun 24, 2013
O boy see wetin Okocha do to those English players...that bros has always been a bad guy
Re: When Nigeria Played Football In 1994 (Memories) by MrChris1(m): 1:53pm On Jun 24, 2013
Sincerely, this team brought tears of Joy to the eyes of numerous Nigerians & we were proud of the then "Super Eagles". The team had the best players in the World during that era........ Probably, they would have reached the Finals (Maybe made history by being the first debutant and underdog to have won a World Cup) in 1994 if not for lack of experience & carelessness on their part against Italy after throwing away a lead with 2 minutes remaining to end the match...............
Rashidi Yekini, truly a legend! You will always remain in our hearts...............................
Re: When Nigeria Played Football In 1994 (Memories) by pampy: 1:55pm On Jun 24, 2013
The year was 1994. Ahmadu Shuaibu had just been appointed as Nigeria's coach after Westrhof's exit. It was Nigeria's best period in football. Though we lost this match but the quality was there for all to see. Nigeria had won the nations cup earlier that year, reached the second round of the world cup after losing narrowly to Italy and we went on to the confed cup in 1995 and came 3rd. We were ranked 5th in the FIFA ranking. I loved Nigerian football to pieces then.
Re: When Nigeria Played Football In 1994 (Memories) by sylve11: 2:07pm On Jun 24, 2013
Then u see players who played for pride and for love of the game, na u see players playing for money and those who play just to impress european club owners. I love dem back in the days, I love Nigeria! cool
Re: When Nigeria Played Football In 1994 (Memories) by autumnflower(f): 2:08pm On Jun 24, 2013
[size=14pt] grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

did you guys see the azonto of 1994??
grin grin grin

up nigeria.. this guys were passionate about football and their country not about the money
[/size]
Re: When Nigeria Played Football In 1994 (Memories) by nerodenero: 2:09pm On Jun 24, 2013
collynzo2: Please I am doing a project, I need a video of Ghana black stars lifting a trophy, I can't seem to find one on YouTube. Can you help me out?
Looking for that here is totally unacceptable.The same Ghana that likes hating Nigeria for no just cause.I pray they change pretty soon.
Re: When Nigeria Played Football In 1994 (Memories) by Nobody: 2:12pm On Jun 24, 2013
Memories, I tell ya.

The first time I ever watched Nigeria play football was at the world cup in 1994 hosted by the yanks(that was my first world cup). I remember vividly that I was in pry sch. and I can still remember my pops waking my older brother and I up after naija scored the first goal against Bulgaria(it was prob 2a.m or 3a.m London time). My pops was so happy!! grin I skipped school next day because of the game. tongue

Oi, Yekini is a legend and I'll never forget how he celebrated that tap-in - epic goal. Amokachi and Amuneke scored the two other goals.

I cried when we lost to the Italians - we had the game on the choke-hold for 90mins, only for inexperience by Sunday Oliseh and crass defending from the Augustine defender to deny us victory. We lost both Amuneke and Amokachi to injuries as well.

Best naija team ever and the last great world cup. Memories of Hagi, Maradona and Caniggia, Samson Sia Sia's epic goal against Greece, Romario and Bebeto, Hristo Stoichkov etc. cry

1 Like

Re: When Nigeria Played Football In 1994 (Memories) by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jun 24, 2013
See as dis video dey swallow my fone Data.. Na only two I don watch ohhh..
Re: When Nigeria Played Football In 1994 (Memories) by yuzedo: 2:19pm On Jun 24, 2013
Okocha has always been a BOSS! OMG! That team was soooooo COMPLETE! Did you see how precise and direct the footballing style was/is?!?! We BULLIED England on their revered Wembley ground! Our boys were so confident and sharp! From Yekini to Okafor, Amunike to Finidi... God, where did we go wrong?!

Football is dead these days.. That was one hell of an exciting match! Very positive and entertaining soccer on display! Our fans were 10/10 too! "All we are saaaaaaaaayinggggggg, give us a goallllllll".. You don't hear that from the supporters no more.. Sigh! I'm depressed.

Thanks, op! My archives were limited to Tunisia 94 and Atlanta 96. We need to start revisiting these old super eagles matches to see where we're coming, understand where we stand and how far off the mark we are, and thus plot our journey forward.

-Sweetus Oyoyo, reporting from Lagos.

1 Like

Re: When Nigeria Played Football In 1994 (Memories) by Wale112(m): 2:24pm On Jun 24, 2013
come to GBC and u will have the tapes
nerodenero: Looking for that here is totally unacceptable.The same Ghana that likes hating Nigeria for no just cause.I pray they change pretty soon.
Re: When Nigeria Played Football In 1994 (Memories) by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jun 24, 2013
I recently bought and watched the clip of Nigeria vs Italy USA 94 second round.

The level of skills displayed by Eagles was amazing. I can't believe it was Nigeria playing. I can't believe we can retrogress this much (well, until these current boys).

It was like an European Champion league final.

It was a pleasure watching Nigeria play at such level.

They lost that game purely by bad luck, the Italians were not better.
Re: When Nigeria Played Football In 1994 (Memories) by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jun 24, 2013
Another thing I noticed: far back 1994, to 1998, Nigerians played in top European clubs.

The champions league that is now a big deal, Ajax paraded two Nigerians in UCL final of 1995 (Finidi and Kanu).

Kanu and Finidi were in Ajax, Okocha (Fenerbache), Amokachi (Everton - after being best black player in Belgium twice), Oliseh (Ajax, Juventus), Taribo (Inter, AC Milan), Adepoju (Real Sociedad), etc.

How can things go bad that we don't have players in these top clubs again? And players from Ukraine, MLS, Russia are our key players today, despite the exposure and globalization of today?
Re: When Nigeria Played Football In 1994 (Memories) by Rooneyboy(m): 2:57pm On Jun 24, 2013
yuzedo: but did u see those nigerians in the first videos dancing?? my gawd! people's fathers!! grin grin grin grin grin I know their children are on NL, that man shaking nyash looks like Coogar or Rooneyboy's dad, and that woman that was twisting is definitely Texas.cowgirl (she's like 96yrs now).. Idowuogbo was somewhere in that restaurant washing plates in the backyard, and Adaobi123's parents had not gotten visa to london by then. grin

MODs plis be nice, this info is from wikileaks. tongue

Coming from a sick man

I take no offense grin
Re: When Nigeria Played Football In 1994 (Memories) by sobaemma(m): 3:09pm On Jun 24, 2013
When nigeria played for pride not for bonus

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Man Utd Don't Sign African Players / Mayweather-Manny: The Biggest Fight In Boxing History Is Set For May 2 / Avoid Watching Sunday AFCON Final If You Have Cardiovascular Conditions – Expert

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.