Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,838 members, 7,810,223 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:38 AM

Nigeria's Coat Of Arms Used In A Hollywood Movie (pix) - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nigeria's Coat Of Arms Used In A Hollywood Movie (pix) (27792 Views)

Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! / Stephannie Okereke Plays Slave In Hollywood Movie! / 50 Cent Loses Weight In His Upcoming Movie Pix (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria's Coat Of Arms Used In A Hollywood Movie (pix) by Decryptor(m): 7:43am On Jun 29, 2013
Nigerians and their wahala! Una wey dey spray dollar for una music video nko? America don sue una? As if when govt sues them, you'll have a share ​I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ what ever compensation will be paid if any ​I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ the first place. Abeg make una go find beta work go do
Re: Nigeria's Coat Of Arms Used In A Hollywood Movie (pix) by snicksz(m): 7:51am On Jun 29, 2013
pappilo: Much ado about nothing! Nigerians can make noise sha. It is a damn movie, no one can sue and no one will be sued. It is a movie...make believe...got it? comprehende? Will Mercedes sue a movie for portraying one of their cars as experiencing a catastrophic brake failure and it then kills a group of school kids? Has the NYPD sued any movie producer for portraying its officers as corrupt in movies?

I cant believe this is even being discussed.

Yea, Mercedes will sue a movie for using its logo on a Honda product or any other product which is not Mercedes...Same tin as using the Nigeria Coat of Arm as a logo of a police force.
Re: Nigeria's Coat Of Arms Used In A Hollywood Movie (pix) by Ebol(f): 8:04am On Jun 29, 2013
Naija shld b proud that dir coat of arm s recognise and use in hwf. Atleast dos wo dont knw our coat of arm wil knw nw.
Re: Nigeria's Coat Of Arms Used In A Hollywood Movie (pix) by kolamilan(m): 8:06am On Jun 29, 2013
see as people were deliberating on this issue smh.
Re: Nigeria's Coat Of Arms Used In A Hollywood Movie (pix) by albacete(m): 8:11am On Jun 29, 2013
Decryptor: Nigerians and their wahala! Una wey dey spray dollar for una music video nko? America don sue una? As if when govt sues them, you'll have a share ​I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ what ever compensation will be paid if any ​I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ the first place. Abeg make una go find beta work go do
buhahahahaha. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria's Coat Of Arms Used In A Hollywood Movie (pix) by Melancholy(m): 8:35am On Jun 29, 2013
We hereby call on the appropiate authority to file a suit case against the producer of this movie titled 'Bass ass'.The committee responsible for defence of this country to make this detterent to others.Hope our voice will be heard!
Re: Nigeria's Coat Of Arms Used In A Hollywood Movie (pix) by Anvaller: 8:36am On Jun 29, 2013
I think i have seen this movie before, the letter with the coat of arm on it came across very briefly that u have to be attentive to notice it. @OP am I right? cos I can't remember any other thing else in the movie.
Re: Nigeria's Coat Of Arms Used In A Hollywood Movie (pix) by denitro(m): 8:37am On Jun 29, 2013
That is America's way of saying - Scam the scammers
Re: Nigeria's Coat Of Arms Used In A Hollywood Movie (pix) by AbuMikey(m): 8:38am On Jun 29, 2013
And it got to FP? *smh*
Re: Nigeria's Coat Of Arms Used In A Hollywood Movie (pix) by BashToks: 8:41am On Jun 29, 2013
VillageBoi:

No biggie. I get you don't know anything about films & copyrights. You cannot include a face or even voice without a release form & the copyright... most 'other types' of images are cool as long as 'slander, defamation of character +' is not involved.
Why do you think not one single Naija film that shows a TV screen with football or BBC or anything else playing does never go anywhere but illegal places?

As much as I feel your constructibe argumemt.. point is you stil have no point cos its blatant illegal to use an emblem or logo or mark associated with a body or in this case a nation in any franchise of any sort. Na because say na toothless dog Nigeria dat deyll go scot free with it. The only condition that can permit them to usr this is if they actually sought for permission which I highly doubt.
Re: Nigeria's Coat Of Arms Used In A Hollywood Movie (pix) by Meox: 9:13am On Jun 29, 2013
nenergy: So i was watching a Hollywood movie titled ‘BAD A S S’ and the movie was indeed BAD A S S. But the most BAD A S S thing about the movie is that the Nigerian coat of arm was used twice in the movie. What appeared to look like the Nigerian coat of arm was first shown at a scene where the main actor was filling out a police recruitment form. The second was when he received a letter about his application. Nairalanders, make una follow look am o. Is that the Nigerian coat of arm and is that legal?

Bad A s s (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Ass_(film)
i was shocked when i saw it in the movie and i was like is this not nigeria's coat of arm? My doubts hav been cleard.
Re: Nigeria's Coat Of Arms Used In A Hollywood Movie (pix) by splashbaby(m): 9:17am On Jun 29, 2013
Film na acting na...if na the coat of arm nothing do us abi rules dey for the use countries emblems for film?...
Re: Nigeria's Coat Of Arms Used In A Hollywood Movie (pix) by Decryptor(m): 9:17am On Jun 29, 2013
dominique:

I wikipediad the film btw, not one cast or crew member looked familiar. More like a z-grade movie. Even Razzies go reject them grin
Chineke meiiii! WTF!! shocked
Re: Nigeria's Coat Of Arms Used In A Hollywood Movie (pix) by Meox: 9:19am On Jun 29, 2013
nenergy:
The movie was set in the USA. The main character returned from war and decided to join the police force in the US. So why should a sovereign nation's coat of arm be used on a form for a movie set in the US?
I don't know what exactly to call it, so its 'forgery'.lol
the funny thing there was that it so obvious, camera focused on it. My question is what are they trying to achieve. (meanwhile the bad ass guy did nt get the job he was looking for)
Re: Nigeria's Coat Of Arms Used In A Hollywood Movie (pix) by VillageBoi(m): 9:22am On Jun 29, 2013
BashToks:

As much as I feel your constructibe argumemt.. point is you stil have no point cos its blatant illegal to use an emblem or logo or mark associated with a body or in this case a nation in any franchise of any sort. Na because say na toothless dog Nigeria dat deyll go scot free with it. The only condition that can permit them to usr this is if they actually sought for permission which I highly doubt.

Sorry to say but obviously you're not a filmmaker or producer and also you don't know copyright law or fair use. If we follow your argument - actors will be na.ked and not allowed to wear clothes, houses will have no furniture, TVs, computers and so on. You na never show ANY car in a film so there goes your Idumota Hummer project out of the window.

A bulk of things in film are overlooked. Ask yourself were they passing the 'letter' in the film as an 'official' Nigerian letter? I doubt it. Did it have substantial screen time? I doubt it. Was the letter a center piece of the film? I doubt it. Sure you can show any trademarks that are not an important part of the film or shown in a bad light. It is highly interpretive though.

Were they wrong to use it 'without' permission? Yep. (remember not a single person on this site knows if they got permission or not) Can you sue them? Yep. What will happen if you do? You'll be wasting a ton of money on something that is likely to be ignored in court, if it gets in they will dance rings around you for years. Or you'll still be wasting money and all they'll do is one click of a mouse and the letter, if they even want to show it, has something else on it. Are they ever going to pay you a penny or get into trouble? NO.

All any corporate lawyer has to say is "It isn't the Nigerian Coat of Arms but a fictional logo created for the Metro police', it may have some similarites but not exact"... case don tie for the next 10 years.

Anyway Bash - good luck suing them... plenti people get ya back!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Coat Of Arms Used In A Hollywood Movie (pix) by ifihear(m): 9:42am On Jun 29, 2013
Okija_juju: [b]If it truly is a the Nigerian Coat of arms, then I believe that they can be sued..

The coat of arms is an internationally copyright protected symbol and any misuse of it especially a gross misrepresentation like they have done in this movie is an offence..

[/b]

Did you just type that shocked shocked shocked
Re: Nigeria's Coat Of Arms Used In A Hollywood Movie (pix) by Policewoman(f): 9:42am On Jun 29, 2013
LOOKS LIKE ALL THESE LOW BUDGET CRAYFISH FILMS. The only barely recognisable name there na Danny Trejo.
Re: Nigeria's Coat Of Arms Used In A Hollywood Movie (pix) by Okijajuju1(m): 9:47am On Jun 29, 2013
if_i_hear:

Did you just type that shocked shocked shocked

the 'a' was obviously a typo.. Delete that and read it again..
Re: Nigeria's Coat Of Arms Used In A Hollywood Movie (pix) by LOVEGINO(m): 10:00am On Jun 29, 2013
no b only sue. we suppose dey happy say dem recognize us. we don finish solve our country problem finish?
Re: Nigeria's Coat Of Arms Used In A Hollywood Movie (pix) by teoo: 10:26am On Jun 29, 2013
nenergy:
You must be a Togolese.lol
He is from Taiti
Re: Nigeria's Coat Of Arms Used In A Hollywood Movie (pix) by Datshyguy(m): 10:45am On Jun 29, 2013
nenergy:
The movie was set in the USA. The main character returned from war and decided to join the police force in the US. So why should a sovereign nation's coat of arm be used on a form for a movie set in the US?
I don't know what exactly to call it, so its 'forgery'.lol
or they should have used the US cote of arm or the logo of their police force.
Re: Nigeria's Coat Of Arms Used In A Hollywood Movie (pix) by chops33(m): 11:01am On Jun 29, 2013
VillageBoi:

Nope! I'm just not daft.

Didn't same Nigerians rush to the cinema to give 'South Africa' money for their 'District 9' that blatantly said our 'ex' presido na dumb cannibal or was it persin wey dey use alien do suya? - wetin happen then? I beg we dey make mouth anyhow. So pls explain what exactly is wrong with this 'Easter Egg'?
He probably doesn't even know what an "Easter Egg" means...
Re: Nigeria's Coat Of Arms Used In A Hollywood Movie (pix) by amacastel: 11:08am On Jun 29, 2013
Na wa oooo
Re: Nigeria's Coat Of Arms Used In A Hollywood Movie (pix) by Petbuk123(m): 11:09am On Jun 29, 2013
pekelepekele: You guys should be happy that our coat of arm was used in an Hollywood movie .
pekelepekele: [b]You guys should be happy that our coat of arm was used in an Hollywood movie .
[/b]
pekelepekele: You guys should be happy that our coat of arm was used in an Hollywood movie .
dnt get u right,can u say dt again,bad ass?
Re: Nigeria's Coat Of Arms Used In A Hollywood Movie (pix) by donpope1(m): 12:26pm On Jun 29, 2013
nenergy:
No wahala! But i'd love to see the look on your face when your facebook photo is included in a missing person's catalogue by a Indian film producer.lol.

hahahahahahahaha...funny dude.
Re: Nigeria's Coat Of Arms Used In A Hollywood Movie (pix) by rhapzidy(m): 12:46pm On Jun 29, 2013
Our coat of arm is our property, the hollywood movie producer (BAD A S S) must have gotten or received the license or right to make use of it. I think....
Re: Nigeria's Coat Of Arms Used In A Hollywood Movie (pix) by nolio(m): 1:38pm On Jun 29, 2013
Instead make una happy say dem use una coat of arm, una wan sue. Na dis 1 u go take no say pesn wey dey sue, dey go prison
Re: Nigeria's Coat Of Arms Used In A Hollywood Movie (pix) by ifihear(m): 2:24pm On Jun 29, 2013
Okija_juju:

the 'a' was obviously a typo.. Delete that and read it again..

Bro I wasn't talking about the "a"...I was showing surprise at you saying 'if it really is a Nigerian Coat of Arms"...does it look like the logo of Chelsea FC? grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria's Coat Of Arms Used In A Hollywood Movie (pix) by chibyboy(m): 6:01pm On Jun 29, 2013
pls whats the name of that muvie cos i will like to watch it>>>>>>>>>
Re: Nigeria's Coat Of Arms Used In A Hollywood Movie (pix) by nex(m): 6:54pm On Jun 29, 2013
Well, if the coat of arms is used to portray Nigeria in a good way, the government may overlook it, however, if it is used in a derogatory manner, what the government should do for now is advise them to remove it, and then possibly sue. However, I do not know if they'll win.

A painter once painted a British Pound note on a wall where he caricatured the queen of England, he was charged with forgery, and henceforth, the British Pound denominations were copyrighted.
Re: Nigeria's Coat Of Arms Used In A Hollywood Movie (pix) by walemcraheem: 5:38am On Jun 30, 2013
first, we need to to know if d movie producer hav used d coat of arm to potray dis nation in a bad light, I do not think Its much of a thing to worry about.
Re: Nigeria's Coat Of Arms Used In A Hollywood Movie (pix) by tonygee1(m): 11:04am On Jun 30, 2013
Wat of davido wey burn doller note for him video

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Images Everyone Obsessed With Super Story Growing Up Will Get / Stars Of 'The Wedding Party' In Dubai For Shoot (Read Plot) / Movie Director Blasts Genevieve Nnaji

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.