Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:14 AM

Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports (7745 Views)

How Goodluck Jonathan Transformed Nigeria's Airports - Pics / 10 Largest Airports In The World As Seen From Above / World Most Dangerous Airports (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by MaryAnne: 9:13pm On May 24, 2008
wether, ur right or wrong, they just think they can take advantage of ur situation. and they just think u r at their mercy cus they wrk at the airport, sadly, most times they win. And to think the federal government said they have stopped the touts from operating there. Nothing works here men. We need Gods help.
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by oYaTo(m): 12:23am On May 25, 2008
Xiomarra:

Look here, if no be say them ban me, none of una qualify to shut me up even in ma grave.

As you can see, I am not hiding under any rock.

Try another trick please. As you can see the so called "[b]Oyato[/b]to" and the transgendered gang have run out of steam. Or is it "Teghese Murphy" or whatever the idiot calls itself? cheesy

Did somebody say my name

Girl u still dey here? shocked u don go change skin like chameleon. . .

u.r new name no bad o. . .has some sorth of "mischief" ring to it. . .although I know u aint no longer proud to see the "6322" or so posts next to u.r name don vamoose grin. . . but hey, glad to see you're already working to improve the situation. grin
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by oYaTo(m): 12:26am On May 25, 2008
@denony thanx 4 d tips bro
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by Coded200(m): 3:26am On May 25, 2008
@igbonla (m)  grin
Well spoken and the only one who had tangible words to give not that it would always work all the time.

@General Viewers  undecided
Truly its has turn into a pretty scary sisituation always get lucky  mainly because i guess i stare at them straight in the eyes (its like we all just feel guilty of been Nigerians these days!!) or God just says Son its not your turn today coz i know they would harharass on one of the trips soonest.I got disturbed for the food stuff though it was returned only to find out that my aunt who accompanied me bribed the guy (i quarrelled her later, only to get a so-u're-not-grateful cold stare).The question is :are we like gradually turning into Sodom and Gomorrah? coz it seems everybody everywhere in all sector is been oppressive mostly with bribes.Am even too ashamed to mention some pretty bad experiences which would only expose the cankerworm depth of rottenness.Our leaders are busy looting the treasury despite this and that panel.I have weeped for Nigeria and still not comforted.

Am now based in the States and it pains me to see that our people actually deserve more than they are getting  at the moment,i heard that sometimes during the 70's the naira was equal to the pound and some fraction higher than the dollar,we know the scores today.

Are we really one or what is the problem(its definitely not spiritual),as a kid growing up in the church for the past 20yrs  we have always had prayer points about God taking control of the country's situation,maybe the ibo's actually had the answer some 3 decade ago.Soccer,the only activity that bounds us together is been messed up no thanks to the Administration.UEFA Champions league better have their next year Finals in Abuja.

I remain a full blooded *confused* Nigerian Youth in the diaspora.
P.S-Many of my foreign friends complain alot about our country mainly on fraud,corruption and they often stereotype us to be bad folks even when these individuals are quite liberal & open-minded by nature ,i on my part have always  done a good job of countering them because aside from been a Nigerian (why am stand-by defensive),all countries have their issues to deal with(they just dont dramatise theirs like we do ours, i recall obasanjo going to ireland during his 1st term and telling the Govt. there  to return Nigerians back home that they were bad people, that coming from a President).I watched a movie at the cinema some days back, the moral from it was that one should have love his  country and  not aberrate because of  the leaders or the present condition!)
P.S.S-Please forgive any grievous remark that might  hurt anyone's feelings AS I SAY IT AS IT IS! cry.
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by Sonye(f): 10:49pm On May 25, 2008
the one that irritates me at the nigerian airports is that there will never be a sign saying NO PARKING. when u park your car at a place you feel will be safe, FAAN will comfortably tow your car insisting you should pay a fine of 10,000.00 before letting you go with your car.

this is terrible and to worsen it, its actually some people's occupation. In the UK, there is always a bold sign so you will not say you did not know. But NO, not Nigerian airports. and when u finally pay, you find out your bumper has been damaged.

THIS IS TERRIBLE angry sad
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by tipsy289(m): 11:13pm On May 25, 2008
Hehe i cant wait to go to Nigeria and see these fools stop me and ask me for money, They'll experience my wrath or pennies i carry home with me. grin
Funny enough its only once that they've asked me for bribe(2004) because of foodstuff, anyway i didnt answer the guy is my mum that was busy begging him and ended up giving him 500 naira(the dude asked for 5000,imagine)
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by Spermdrops(m): 11:40pm On May 25, 2008
Siena:

Welcome back, Militia! wink

Hellos Siena!  Thanks a bunch.  What's up or down? wink Trying to go back home after a beautiful weekend. So long darling. kiss Will be in touch.

oYaTo:

Did somebody say my name

Girl u still dey here? shocked u don go change skin like chameleon. . .

u.r new name no bad o. . .has some sorth of "mischief" ring to it. . .although I know u aint no longer proud to see the "6322" or so posts next to u.r name don vamoose grin. . . but hey, glad to see you're already working to improve the situation. grin

Please go and recalculate with your aba made GPS! My collective posts on Naiaraland are more than 20,000! But who cares anyway? Well, good to see you are behaving yourself in the travel section after a few 24 hour-ban yourself. cheesy

Hey! It's all for the fun of it.

@Topic!

Nairaland is dead and so are you!
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by deols(f): 11:46pm On May 25, 2008
Of all the international airports have been to,the Nigerian is the worst. Talk of crowd management,the check-ins,customs operations(the most annoying),you'd wish there was a wayout.
And now talk of the airport structure.
DEPARTURES.here,you'll see passengers & their families waiting for someone to get off his/her seat for a chance to sit.The crowd is just too much that you sometimes can't tell a passenger from a well wisher nor an official from a 419ner.
SOLUTION? the check-ins should b limited to passengers and a waiting hall provided for well wishers.
ARRIVALS.here,the only problem is getting your luggage.there is no good policy to ensure that luggage get to their rightful owners.There is no dutyfree post you can be proud of  to showcase Nigerian products to any foreigner.
Finally,the airport needs to be expandedand beautified to meet international standards.
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by Coded200(m): 12:41am On May 26, 2008
@Spermdrops   sad
your anger is admirable but annoying,you cud put some of it to some good humanitarian cause like not making any online green house effect with your offensive altitude, spermdrops-its all guys that is got sperm drops so wats behind the excessive egostic username, cudnt u be more subtle & creative & its obvious u'r 1 of nairaland's killers, this is a guy's concept for crying out loud .why just curse,abuse & argue all the time do us all a favour and contribute maturedly and of because yab at least sarcastically not like some wild "agbero" on the internet.  lipsrsealed

A favour please,don't drag me into any cursing spree duet, been a Nigerian is headache enough to deal with.Thanks Buddy  grin
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by Shinatu: 11:21am On May 26, 2008
Someone should please let us know what food stuff we are actually allowed to carry
I normally do not carry any just to avoid these guys' wahala but surely there must
be some quantity one is allowed to travel with?

Like someone rightly said, this kind of a list will not be published by the authorities because they
want to 'catch' many people.
Please if you have come across anything like that, let us know.
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by bunmii(f): 11:26am On May 26, 2008
Shinatu:

[b]Someone should please let us know what food stuff we are actually allowed to carry[/b]I normally do not carry any just to avoid these guys' wahala but surely there must
be some quantity one is allowed to travel with?

Like someone rightly said, this kind of a list will not be published by the authorities because they
want to 'catch' many people.
Please if you have come across anything like that, let us know.

actually  there is a list but for heathrow airport it might be the same for nigeria but i am not really sure
http://www.heathrowairport.com/assets/B2CPortal/Wrapped%20Static%20Files/Security_guidelines_sept07.pdf
hope that helps
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by onmyown(m): 11:50am On May 26, 2008
I had bought an aerocontractor ticket to lagos from abuja. got to the airport late and was not boarded. my request for a refund was rebuffed cos they said i was not checked in 30 mins before take off according to their rules. I coughed out 2,500k to have the ticket revalidated so I could use it on another flight. on my return which I decided same day (couldnt stand lagos) I had to go through another series of - wait to confirm revalidation, system is down blah blah. At the end of the day the flight was delayed by 15 - 20 minuites. So I started by asking that I be compensated for a delay in the take off of the aircraft since I was asked to pay a fee for revalidation cos I arrived late for the flight. At the end of the day I had an option of quietly heading back to abuja or end up paying another fee for not boarding the flight.
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by oYaTo(m): 12:10pm On May 26, 2008
Spermdrops:

Please go and recalculate with your aba made GPS! My collective posts on Naiaraland are more than 20,000! But who cares anyway? Well, good to see you are behaving yourself in the travel section after a few 24 hour-ban yourself. cheesy

Chineke! Abi i dey see double? na u again? how many usernames u come get so? 20,000? shocked Please accept my sincere apologies 4 undermining u and not giving u u.r due honor. I no even no say u jobless reach dat one grin. . .abi how else person go explain dat one?

Abeg if i may ask. . .how long did it take u to rack up u.r 20,000 posts? I beg even Seun sef wey start dis forum no get reach half ur majestic tally. I bow 4 u o! grin

If i'm accurate, with ur former username u racked up an amazing 6000 posts within a period of five months!. . .i'm willin 2 bet my left nut that u'l beat that record hands down this time. . .more grease to your elbow. grin grin cheesy wink smiley grin
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by Shinatu: 2:02pm On May 26, 2008
@Bunmii

Thanks, I am actualy aware of the Heathrow rules, but what of Nigeria's?
Does the fact that we can take these things into the U.K mean we can
legally take them out of Nigeria?
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by oge4real(f): 12:24pm On May 27, 2008
I pledge to Nigeria my country, to be faithful, loyal and honest! shocked shocked
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by Akolawole(m): 11:53pm On May 27, 2008
@Novice

As per NDLEA, i dont really understand!

NDLEA like every other officers at the airport have right to ask for one's passport so whats wahala with that?

UK custom officer once ask for my passport and ask me questions about my visa so why cant Nigeria ones ask?

Let this be cleared, the inpending missing of flight shouldnt be a barrier for them to do their job as most Drug pushers chose to go inside the plane at such hour.

They never ask me for money, they were very very polite and the whole place is full of cameras i just dont understand the poster.

I was taken to their lab downstairs for check and that was it.
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by oyinsbank: 9:01am On May 28, 2008
i had a similar experience with ARIK on THE 5TH of may 2008, i bought a ticket of =N=23,000, to Naf Base(port harcout)
.When the flight was called, we are only 4 passengers, the ARIK officials took us in the bus to the plane , and they later said the plane is faulty and we are told to go in the other flight to Port harcourt international airport(a flight of =N=17,000) No apologies, No Refund of money, they cannot even compensate by putting the 4 of us in Business Class.
its a total Rip off.
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by Jerri(f): 8:49pm On May 28, 2008
Deleted.
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by katherinae(f): 4:12pm On May 30, 2008
it seems they give men a harder time than women.
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by katherinae(f): 4:19pm On May 30, 2008
@coded200

na u biko
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by katherinae(f): 4:29pm On May 30, 2008
@onmyown

ur story is hilarious, abeg no vex.

well i have been traveling from naija to the US and back for over 13 years, and i noticed that as i got older they started harassing me about bribery, im a quiet person so i just keep staring at them like i dont speak english, it worked the two times i was disturbed aggressively, and if all else fails i tell them im a student and show them my id, ironically they just wave me off like i was the one asking them for forex. chai. anyway i still feel that it is a little bit easier for women than men. regardless its a really sad situation in naija, and i honestly feel that it will never change, or at least not in my lifetime.
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by smoothop1: 4:43pm On May 30, 2008
last year on my back to london flying with bellview airlines, i was the forst on the queue and presented my passport to some guys who calls themselves "profilers". he said to me where r u going and i replied saying im going to the UK, he said wot for i told him i live there and y all these questions he then said ave u got any proff of id and i said the UK do not have ID card, he then said step aside while i see to others o then said y he told me to go back to the british High Commision to get proof which i asked proof of what he said "i go issue u with a notice make u carry go embassy and u can go on wednesday instead of today saturday. i asked him do u not have protocol officers who verifies (ILR) he then ignored me then shouted at him to stop fucking about. however, there was another profiler upstairs who saw the whole show, i then went upstirs to ask for their boss and was told he was not on duty and this guy told me "oga i know say ur residence permit na real but if u fit give me $1000.00 i go do something". i said ok no problem, he then went downstairs to ther 2 profilers who cleared me and then i got my boarding pass. i had told the guy i would only give him 70,000.00 Naira. as i was about to board the plane they came to block me again saying wey the money the other profiler said in yoruba are u sure u want to take the risk by not letting this man get on his flight and he said yes. meanwhile i had told the profilers that my cousin would give them the moneyand that one of them should go to the carpark with him knowing they were not going to get a dine from me. so the bellview cabin crew asked them saying r u driopping this passanger and they replied no and i said thank u guys and as i was about to get on the plane one of the profilers came running saying that man fooled us and he said were will i get 70,000.00 now and that the money was for all of them including the bellview check in staff. i did geyt on the plane and lmao and my cousin called me on the phone before take off saying the guy was crying for some money he did not work for. on my arrival to the UK i called Bellview to tell them about the issue and that i would publish the issue as i had evidence of this on my phone's video camera but till today no apology from them and they dont give a shit. i will keep his evidence unitil i go back to nigeria next month and give a copy to AIT and then Al jazeera and obviously BBC Panaorama.

what make it worse is that my grand mother even went on her knees to beg them to be sensible but she was told to go away and i was asked for $1000.00. if this guys keep sending people back to the embassy the british consulate will be put under pressure on there services in terms of people they have to attend to and possibly delaying time for people who needed urgent appointment for a visa. which can in some way affect some of our relatives in the future
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by katherinae(f): 4:50pm On May 30, 2008
trust me that useless behavior they have in nigeria a lot of them b ring it to the US as well oh.
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by smoothop1: 5:09pm On May 30, 2008
katherinae:

trust me that useless behavior they have in nigeria a lot of them b ring it to the US as well oh.

its just bad and it needs to be changed i think it needs to be shown to the world maybe the Nigerian Govt. will be ashamed into putting its house in order i think. i et worked up whenever i think of it.
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by oYaTo(m): 8:58pm On May 31, 2008
smooth op I too gbadun u cool
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by Rlst84sale(m): 9:09pm On Jun 01, 2008
By the way what is it with our law enforcement people's uniform at home sef?. You go see them decorate am with some huge made in China shinning bottons like that of Sir Lord Luggard of colonial regime. I don tire for am. I think we need to get a thread on that with different pictures.
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by smoothop1: 10:12am On Jun 02, 2008
Rlst84sale:

By the way what is it with our law enforcement people's uniform at home sef?. You go see them decorate am with some huge made in China shinning bottons like that of Sir Lord Luggard of colonial regime. I don tire for am. I think we need to get a thread on that with different pictures.

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lmao
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by smoothop1: 1:23pm On Jun 02, 2008
guys wot r those two forms one has to fill when when leaving nigeria as i cannot remember wot they are for.i remember filling one of them out last year and also rememba one of the custom officer telling me to bring an authourisation form because i had some elubo for my mum in my luggage but i think i told him i did not know i needed one. so please guy shed more light on these forms for me please

thanks for ur time
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by humantoy(m): 1:26pm On Jun 03, 2008
on Friday the 30th of May 2008,I was at the local airport to buy an Arik airline ticket to Enugu.I was told I could only get a ticket at the international airport.I got there and was on the queue for over 2 hrs.The staff were so nasty and unprofessional.They were reserving seats for touts who will now resell to geniune travellers at a premium.I was informed to be at the international airport the following morning.I got there by 6.30am as that day was environmental day only to be told to go back to the local airport as they would be taking off from there.I rushed back to local airport and a staff of Arik air told me I couldnt get a boarding pass as the gate had been closed.He told me to 'see' a particular guy,a tout to be able to get a boarding pass.Its so terrible what these local airlines do.I wonder what it costs them to sell their tickets online.
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by Rlst84sale(m): 2:19pm On Jun 03, 2008
Can't you guys inform the minister of aviation and get them to do an undercover investigation? or get them on a small recorder with ur cell phone or something?. Or can someone send this thread to the appropriate agency in Nigeria or IATA (International Air Travel Association)?, I hope I got that right.
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by LAKANYE(m): 3:52pm On Jun 04, 2008
Its unfortunate to read about your plights in "your own country", my brother.
All these bullshit about this great country is the main reason why most of us abroad decide coming to Nairaland.com to mingle with fellow Nigerian citizens is the closest we would be to Nigeria. There are more bizzare, scarry, and unprintable life and death experiences encountered in such an unsafe haven. If you've never been to hell and back, just visit some third world countries.
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by DisGuy: 5:51pm On Jun 04, 2008
humantoy:

on Friday the 30th of May 2008,I was at the local airport to buy an Arik airline ticket to Enugu.I was told I could only get a ticket at the international airport.I got there and was on the queue for over 2 hrs.The staff were so nasty and unprofessional.They were reserving seats for touts who will now resell to geniune travellers at a premium.I was informed to be at the international airport the following morning.I got there by 6.30am as that day was environmental day only to be told to go back to the local airport as they would be taking off from there.I rushed back to local airport and a staff of Arik air told me I couldnt get a boarding pass as the gate had been closed.He told me to 'see' a particular guy,a tout to be able to get a boarding pass.Its so terrible what these local airlines do.I wonder what it costs them to sell their tickets online.

are there no managers at the airports

Rlst84sale:

[s]Can't you guys inform the minister of aviation[/s] and get them to do an undercover investigation? or get them on a small recorder with your cell phone or something?. Or can someone send this thread to the appropriate agency in Nigeria or IATA (International Air Travel Association)?, I hope I got that right.
you want to see a minister in nigeria? lmao
you'll never see one of those, seeing a manager/supervisor is hard already
you'll kind of expect local TV and newspapers journalist to do this undercover sting
when a foreign journalist splash this over the internet then they'll start moaning

and these are not even govt organisations,these are private companies recruiting crooks!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

China Southern Airline , Your Cheapest Tickets To China And Dubai! / Between Denmark,poland,ireland And Sweden...where??? / 800k A Month: Should I Travel To Canada?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.