Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,956 members, 7,825,000 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 11:03 PM

Do Fruits Affect Drugs....? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Do Fruits Affect Drugs....? (2155 Views)

Some Local Fruits And Their Proper Names(pictures) / Fruits You Hate! / List Of The Most Expensive Fruits In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Fruits Affect Drugs....? by Switup: 7:06am On Jun 27, 2013
Am on the verge of recovery right now but some weeks back i was so ill i couldn't eat. At this period, i resorted to medication, and i also increased my intake of fruits(am a fruit freak).

But then i realised the drugs weren't just as effective; i still caught cold+headaches and for the first time i felt that the fruits were effects on the drugs. Could this be true? If yes, has any experienced it before.........?
Re: Do Fruits Affect Drugs....? by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jun 29, 2013
Which fruits are you eating?

Medication Interactions: Food, Supplements and Other Drugs

Some foods — even healthy ones — can make your medications less effective.

Healthy eating is critical for patients battling cardiovascular disease, also called heart disease. In fact, it can help reverse a condition or reduce the need for medication. But even healthy foods, including fruits and vegetables, can cause unintended and possibly dangerous interactions with certain medications.

Perhaps the best-known example is grapefruit, which, along with pomegranate, can alter the way certain cholesterol medications work.

Other examples include some leafy green veggies, such as spinach or kale. Their high vitamin K levels pose risks for patients being treated with blood thinners to prevent strokes. Eating high levels of these vegetables can counteract the medication’s effectiveness.

Balancing Food and Medication
Winston H. Gandy Jr., a cardiologist with Piedmont Heart Institute in Atlanta and an American Heart Association volunteer, said these potential dangers don’t mean patients get a free pass when it comes to eating their veggies.

It comes down to maintaining a careful balance when using anti-coagulants such as Coumadin (also known generically as warfarin and marketed under the brand names Marevan, Lawarin, Waran and Warfant).

“Coumadin is adjusted to your diet,” Dr. Gandy said. “If you’re eating salad three times a week, then you need to continue that to maintain consistency and balance.”

Interactions from Supplements and Other Medications

Dr. Gandy said food isn’t the only thing to be cautious of when taking blood thinners, also called anticoagulants. Vitamin supplements can also disrupt a carefully balanced dosage of medication. Antibiotics and common pain relievers also can cause the blood to thicken.

On the flip side, some over-the-counter medications used to treat cold and allergy symptoms can cause the blood thinners to have more potent effects.

Other Risks

In the case of statin-based cholesterol medications, including those marketed under brands such as Lipitor, Mevacor and Zocor, grapefruit and pomegranate can be a dangerous mix. Fortunately, Dr. Gandy said, patients who want to keep eating these fruits can be treated with alternative medications.

Other consumables, such as alcohol, can also have an impact on medications due to the way it can change the liver’s ability to filter medication from the body. And even simple things like salt, which is widespread in the food supply can take a toll because it increases the amount of fluid retained in the body, rendering the medication dose inadequate.

“It’s just the way the body processes nutrients and elements,” Dr. Gandy said. “Foods and drugs are just different elements with different purposes, but it’s all handled by the same process. If you overwhelm the system in one way, then it can be affected it in other ways.”

Keep Your Doctors and Pharmacists in the Loop
The key for cardiovascular disease patients is to be aware of the risks and maintain regular communication with healthcare providers, Dr. Gandy said.

“Let your doctor know about any diet formulations you’re on, including any medications or supplements,” he said. When picking up prescriptions or over-the-counter medication, check with the pharmacist to make sure there aren’t any negative interactions. Maintaining a healthy eating pattern and eating the right amounts for your activity level is also important, Dr. Gandy said. He encourages patients to be extra cautious around the holidays or during other celebrations when eating habits tend to change.

Common Medication Interactions

Drugs with Food and Beverages

Food and drinks don’t mix with certain drugs. They can cause delayed, decreased or enhanced absorption of a medication.

MAO inhibitors and blood pressure: Eating chocolate and peanut butter can be a tasty combination, but eating chocolate and taking certain drugs could carry risks. In fact, eating chocolate and taking MAO inhibitors such as Nardil (phenelzine) or Parnate (tranylcypromine) for depression could be dangerous.

Other blood-pressure raising foods to avoid: aged cheese, sausage, bologna, pepperoni and salami.

Grapefruit: Grapefruit and grapefruit juice can interfere with some prescription drugs, and even a few non-prescription drugs. Don’t drink grapefruit juice with certain blood pressure-lowering drugs because it can cause higher levels of those medicines in your body, making side effects more likely.

Licorice: It probably seems like a harmless snack, but if you’re taking Lanoxin (digoxin) for congestive heart failure and abnormal heart rhythms, some forms of licorice could increase your risk of Lanoxin toxicity. Licorice may also reduce the effects of blood pressure drugs or diuretic (urine-producing) drugs, including Hydrodiuril (hydrochlorothiazide) and Aldactone (spironolactone).

Alcohol
: If you’re taking any sort of medication, avoid alcohol, which can increase or decrease its effect.
Re: Do Fruits Affect Drugs....? by Queenxstar(f): 10:06am On Jul 05, 2013
I don't think fruits could be the cause. In fact it aids recovery. I think u should see the doctor once more.
Re: Do Fruits Affect Drugs....? by Nobody: 1:07pm On Jul 06, 2013
Queen xstar: I don't think fruits could be the cause. In fact it aids recovery. I think u should see the doctor once more.

There're fruits that affect medications ooo.
Re: Do Fruits Affect Drugs....? by Switup: 1:10am On Jul 21, 2013
Oh my God.., i feel like riddin tears. I posted this topic a long time ago when i really needed answers. I think that day part without any comments so i totally 4got about this... Am so grateful 2 all who commented later on... Thanx frm d hrt

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Brewries Williams Stout And Turbo King Could Be Harmful / Nigerian Rice And Beans Recipe / Which Do U Prefer"eba OR FUFU"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.