Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,113 members, 7,818,320 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:34 PM

Beauty Clouds - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Beauty Clouds (640 Views)

The Day The Clouds Turned Red (crime Story) / Behind The Clouds By Ifeoma Okoye / Excerpts From My Upcoming Novel 'crimson Clouds' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Beauty Clouds by Appswheel(m): 10:41pm On Jun 27, 2013
The account in this writing is 70% true; the other 30% is complementary. The names used in this writing are not real names. They are fictitious. I wrote this piece since 2008 I just found the manuscript and decided to share it with you.

Yesterday, I stayed late at work; I had formed the habit of staying back for an extra hour after the day’s work. This practise is not unconnected with the heavy traffic that characterized the Victoria Island-Lekki-Jakande-Ajah route at evenings. I had my phone alarm set to 6pm daily, once it 6pm, I made for the bus stop.

This fateful day, my phone alarm failed me. The office lightings left me with no clue that the day was far spent. I glanced at my watch, and found that it was 7pm. I hurriedly shut down my official desktop computer and made for the bus stop.

My office is located on Oyin Jolayemi Str. Victoria Island Lagos, the bus stop, is at Ajose Adeogun Street a walkable distance from my workplace. With quick steps, I dashed to the bus stop. As I approached the bus stop, I was greeted by a large crowd of commuters; an indication that the commercial vehicles plying the route were inadequate. Everyone was on the lookout for the green and white buses that plied the Lekki –Jakande - Ajah route.

I had my phone alarm to blame for my present predicament. What on earth happened to it, who tampered with it? I was lost in thought until my eyes lured me away. It caught sight of a young beautiful damsel, Chai! the babe fine die (translation: she was very beautiful.) I can’t believe a beauty queen of her class was left to walk the streets alone at night. Does she have a boyfriend? How about her parents? How can they leave her to walk the streets alone this late?

My head gained control over my eyes, my thoughts shifted to how to get a bus home. My phone rang, it was my elder brother. “Where are you?” he queried. It was unusual of me to stay out this late. I replied, “Bro, I will explain when I get home”. My phones clock displayed 7:45pm.

Chineke! I almost exclaimed but decency took the better part of me, my sight fell on a lady I describe as beauty spelt in human form. Her beauty put that of the former lady in a lower grade. She reminded me about the stories I have heard about mermaids, how they take up human form and seduce their victims with beauty extraordinaire.

The most recent of such account was one given by Mr. Agboola, my neighbor. He narrated how as a young man, he drove past a Street in Victoria Island Lagos and caught sight of a beautiful damsel. He thought about the excitement of passing the night with her; a way to crown the evening after hanging out with his friends at a popular bar in Victoria Island.

He pulled over one metre away from her, then walked down to her and asked if he could give her a ride. After much persuasion, she agreed to have a ride in his car. As the journey progressed, he introduced the idea of her passing the night at his place. Again, after much persuasion, she agreed. He had begun flirting with her in his mind. This led to some cheek pulling and lap caress.

As they approached Marina Bridge, she requested him to halt. He took her request for a joke. My dear, I don’t live under the bridge, he replied. Her insistence made him take a quick look at her. He noticed that her countenance had changed. Her eyes dilate and the colour of her eyes turned whitish-blue.

His heart began to pound; the merriment and excitement in his heart vanished at once. He slammed his leg on the brake pedal. She had barely alighted from the car when she disappeared into thin air before his eyes. Mr. Agboola said this experience help shaped his marriage positively as he vowed never to indulge in fornication or extra marital affair when he eventually marries.

Goddamn! I just missed a bus, musing over a lady who doesn’t know about my existence. As I rued my miss, I saw a familiar face. It was Mr. Okpanachi; he worked as a Civil Engineer in the same establishment with me. We exchange pleasantries. He narrated how his vehicle developed some mechanical faults as a result he was unable to drive to work.

Mr Okpanachi hails from the Igala speaking part of Kogi state. His looks gave him away as a middle age man in his mid-forties. He was lucky not to have his face ‘mutilated” with the six (6) facial tribal marks – 3 on both sides of the cheeks, which characterized individuals of Igala descent.

As a senior Engineer, he stays late at work occasionally whenever there is need for extra MAN hours to meet clients deadline. He told me his wife must be worried, as all effort to reach her on phone proved abortive.He kept talking about how worried his wife would be. His phone rang; I noticed a mild grin on his face before answering the call. It must be his wife I thought. I picked these words from their conversation, “Sweet heart, I have been trying to reach you, ………………………………… see you soon dear, I love you”.

A private jeep pulled over beside us, the driver shouted Ajah, Mr Okpanachi hurriedly secured a seat in the Jeep. By now, it was 8:30pm. I would have secured a space in the Jeep as well but I am never comfortable with commuting in private cars used for commercial purposes. As a young child, I heard accounts of how unsuspecting adults are kidnapped for ritual purposes via private-commercial vehicles. I understand some private drivers are in the habit of commercializing their bosses’ vehicle whenever the opportunity arises. I was not willing to take any risk.

With great expectation, I waited the next bus. By 9:00pm, i was on my way home. I sat at the far right on the last seat of the bus. The traffic was dense; as such a distance that should be covered in 10minutes will span for an hour.

My mind probed its encounter with the two damsels and the chat with Mr. Okpanachi. Does anything relate them? Mr. Okpanachi is not a newlywed, how come he is so attached to his wife in a manner that lives nothing to the imagination –no love is lost between them. Is it her beauty that endeared her to him? But there are other beautiful young women everywhere, I am sure his wife is not the most beautiful woman he has set his eyes on.

As a bachelor, I set my eyes on ladies that qualify for beauty queens on daily basis. Their class of beauty sometimes unique and not comparable; therefore, the question of choosing between them does not arise. If beauty is my criteria for marriage, then I should be set to live a polygamous life.

But Mr. Okpanachi, Mr Father and other men of virtue and substance (who are faithful to their marital vows) must have found something more than beauty in their spouses.

On the average, bachelors admire ladies with straight legs, well rounded hips, equipped frontage and formidable backside. Spinsters talk about tall, handsome, charming men for partners. With so much premium placed on looks and purse, you find ladies who qualify to be mothers in the singles “mall” searching for Mr. right. - Mr. right had longed passed by. Also, you find potential fathers in the singles “mall” searching for Mrs right – Mrs right had longed passed by but she had no heavy backside……..

The premium placed on looks, fame, money may also explain why some young couples go their separate ways shortly after exchanging marital vows.

My fellow bachelors, making appearance the number one criteria for choosing a life partner is great danger. Marriage is far beyond looks. Physical beauty fades; it vanishes as does a flower plucked from a stem. Moreover, beauty is “bought” in our present age, the Brazilian hair, artificial eye lashes, the different shades of crayons and paints (eye pencils, eye shadow, lips sticks, pancake, etc). Look for value; hold onto value and virtue. These two don’t fade.

The above thoughts flashed through my mind. As the bus approached Maruwa bus stop, the bus conductor shouted Maruwa! Maruwa bus stop dey, I replied. I am home at last.

Two weeks after this experience, I was going for lunch break when a pretty woman who appeared to be in her late 30s approached me. She asked if I knew XYZ company at Oyin Jolayemi Street. I gave her the directions. Her manner of approach and choice of words bared politeness and humility.

As I returned to work, Mr. Okpanachi was walking the woman down the road. He called at me, Babatunde, come and meet my wife. Virtue is Key!!!!
Thanks for reading.
Re: Beauty Clouds by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jun 30, 2013
Is that all? D story doesn't add up.

And I took a quote from one of the paragraphs:

"I had my phone alarm to blame for my present predicament.
What on earth happened to it, who tampered with it? I was
lost in thought until my eyes lured me away. It caught sight of
a young beautiful damsel, Chai! the babe fine die (translation:
she was very beautiful.) I can’t believe a beauty queen of her
class was left to walk the streets alone at night. Does she have
a boyfriend? How about her parents? How can they leave her
to walk the streets alone this late?"

Was she supposed to be locked in a cage at home coz she's beautiful

(1) (Reply)

I Had A Dream And I Was In Love / New Literary Magazine Accepting Short Stories And Poems / What The Devil Want In A Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.