Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,364 members, 7,819,313 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:14 PM

Who Charges N10,000 For A Kids Concert? - Events - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Who Charges N10,000 For A Kids Concert? (12380 Views)

Glo Slide And Bounce Concert / Memorable Moments At BankyW’s Concert / Pictures From The Lagos Countdown Concert 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Charges N10,000 For A Kids Concert? by Mustay(m): 10:15am On Jun 28, 2013

Author(s): Viola Sonibare

Why should anyone organise a concert for children and price tickets at N10,000?

Again and again, people reinforce that divide between the rich and the poor by little actions like this. Fine, the class divide is one of life’s harsh realities that dawns on one as one grows up in life; but to hurl this fact so early and brazenly at children is despicable.

Who got me on this lane? Flytime.

The Cecil Hammond-led entertainment company are major show promoters and responsible for nearly every music show held at the Eko Convention Centre of the Eko Hotel and Suites, Lagos. They brought us Wizkid, Davido and Iyanya’s album launch parties apart from other comedy and music concerts.

And that’s the delusion. Right now, the show organisers, who are accustomed to charging between N 250,000 and N1,000,000 for round tables of 5 and 10 seats respectively (don’t ask me who pays that much for VIP treatment) depending on the show in question, have put together a ‘premium’ concert for primary and secondary school students.

The flyer reads:
Want to reward your child after a gruelling school year? (Whoever said school was gruelling).

‘School’s Out’ concert is a premium concert for Primary and Secondary school students only (Please note ‘premium’ and ‘only’).

Artists Performing: Banky W, Dr SID, Ajebutter, Seyi Shay, Burna Boy, bla bla bla… and Kate Henshaw (Aunty Kate will be performing live for the children).

The students will get a chance to win fabulous prizes from PEPSI and SAMSUNG, and also take pictures with their favourite artists (Yawn).

Knowing Flytime are permanent partners with Silverbird Television (Cecil Hammond is Ben Bruce’s in-law), the advert(s) for this concert is(are) likely to flood the airwaves for the next weeks till it holds. Who else announces a ‘premium’ concert campaign two weeks before D-day?

http://telegraphng.com/2013/06/who-charges-n10000-for-a-kids-concert/

Well, the writer has done a bit to promote the event wink lol but seriously, if we keep on to this "every man for himself" mentality, it's only a matter of time before it hunts us.

By the way, the organizers have their target market, a visit to Silverbird Cinemas is where you can get the hub of ASOBO (Association of Omo Baba Olowos) in Lasgidi. wink

We are already talking about the lack of contentment amongst University students who could do anything to get the Samsung Galaxy S4 just to 'feel among' and here you have some people bringing 'levels' at this stage of children's lives. :O

Yeah, I can anticipate them, "is't your money?", "mind your business", "shey because you can't afford the money for your children", "bad belle", "how does it affect you" etc but I know that for every STANDARD business, the ethical impact of your business decisions are factors to determine a "go ahead" or not.

This is ethically wrong IMO and I follow the writer's stance that at this stage, such discrimination should not be brought early in children's lives. I 'StumbledUpon' comments who chided Wizkid and his managers for not lowering his fees or giving free shows for students considering their 'condition'. If this could be considered for students, why not children?

Even serving corps members get prices lowered for them. Perhaps the organizers could have organized a STRICTLY BY INVITATION show so we know the cliché is not for every Tomiwa, Dickson & Haruna.

Then again, I can hear that, "na so e pain you reach?" tongue angry

Ayaf talk my own, talk ya own make Naigeriya beta

17 Likes

Re: Who Charges N10,000 For A Kids Concert? by momodub: 3:25pm On Jul 01, 2013
smileyits too expensive beside what are we even teaching our kid obout OBO
The flyer reads:
Want to reward your child after a gruelling school year? (Whoever said school was gruelling).
Re: Who Charges N10,000 For A Kids Concert? by gistin123: 3:26pm On Jul 01, 2013
By the way, the organizers have their target market

That is the point.

Re: Who Charges N10,000 For A Kids Concert? by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jul 01, 2013
But the likes of one direction, Beyoncé, ,Rihanna etc can still charge high but people don't complain about them.

1 Like

Re: Who Charges N10,000 For A Kids Concert? by mycon(m): 3:27pm On Jul 01, 2013
super story people dat wud go wud go

1 Like

Re: Who Charges N10,000 For A Kids Concert? by Skywalker5(m): 3:27pm On Jul 01, 2013
lol @ ASOBO (Association of Omo Baba Olowos) grin grin grin grin grin

That really cracks me up

4 Likes

Re: Who Charges N10,000 For A Kids Concert? by Warfibabe(f): 3:28pm On Jul 01, 2013
undecided
Re: Who Charges N10,000 For A Kids Concert? by Iceprincehkn(m): 3:28pm On Jul 01, 2013
Y are yhu jst rantn? because of 10k? S.M.H Poverty no be better tin o... Y nt think of what they are ready to offer!
Re: Who Charges N10,000 For A Kids Concert? by devour129: 3:29pm On Jul 01, 2013
y would i pay for little kids in primary class and even secondary to go watch whizkid(and d rest) grab him crotch ?

3 Likes

Re: Who Charges N10,000 For A Kids Concert? by Temismith(f): 3:30pm On Jul 01, 2013

1 Like

Re: Who Charges N10,000 For A Kids Concert? by Amoshie(m): 3:31pm On Jul 01, 2013
Mtseww dis is nonsense......anyway na naija things.
Re: Who Charges N10,000 For A Kids Concert? by qualified(f): 3:34pm On Jul 01, 2013
Mustay:
http://telegraphng.com/2013/06/who-charges-n10000-for-a-kids-concert/

Well, the writer has done a bit to promote the event wink lol but seriously, if we keep on to this "every man for himself" mentality, it's only a matter of time before it hunts us.

By the way, the organizers have their target market, a visit to Silverbird Cinemas is where you can get the hub of ASOBO (Association of Omo Baba Olowos) in Lasgidi. wink

We are already talking about the lack of contentment amongst University students who could do anything to get the Samsung Galaxy S4 just to 'feel among' and here you have some people bringing 'levels' at this stage of children's lives. :O

Yeah, I can anticipate them, "is't your money?", "mind your business", "shey because you can't afford the money for your children", "bad belle", "how does it affect you" etc but I know that for every STANDARD business, the ethical impact of your business decisions are factors to determine a "go ahead" or not.

This is ethically wrong IMO and I follow the writer's stance that at this stage, such discrimination should not be brought early in children's lives. I 'StumbledUpon' comments who chided Wizkid and his managers for not lowering his fees or giving free shows for students considering their 'condition'. If this could be considered for students, why not children?

Even serving corps members get prices lowered for them. Perhaps the organizers could have organized a STRICTLY BY INVITATION show so we know the cliché is not for every Tomiwa, Dickson & Haruna.

Then again, I can hear that, "na so e pain you reach?" tongue angry

Ayaf talk my own, talk ya own make Naigeriya beta
i cant pay for my child to go and watch any of those guys mentioned above. are they supposed to be role models?
anyway, not the type i need for my kids

8 Likes

Re: Who Charges N10,000 For A Kids Concert? by zuma4k(m): 3:35pm On Jul 01, 2013
Naxo!!!
Re: Who Charges N10,000 For A Kids Concert? by kkkp: 3:35pm On Jul 01, 2013
Mtssswwww naija and showup mentality
Re: Who Charges N10,000 For A Kids Concert? by biolabee(m): 3:36pm On Jul 01, 2013
adaobi123: But the likes of one direction, Beyoncé, ,Rihanna etc can still charge high but people don't complain about them.

i believe those prices are adjusted for kids...
Re: Who Charges N10,000 For A Kids Concert? by ITbomb(m): 3:36pm On Jul 01, 2013
It is not a question of what the parent or the children will benefit.
By the time Chief Emeka hears that Chief Adeyemi's children are attending the party, it will be a question of 'do they think they are richer than me?'

5 Likes

Re: Who Charges N10,000 For A Kids Concert? by Nobody: 3:38pm On Jul 01, 2013
I will pay. My son deserves it. Didn't know about it before. Thanks for notifying me.
Re: Who Charges N10,000 For A Kids Concert? by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jul 01, 2013
10k to see Wizkid is actually quite cheap.

When I was in secondary school, it was 20k for the annual excursion.

As a kid,I know I would have preferred to see Wizkid and save my parents 10 thousand Naira.

But they could never afford the excursions anyway undecided

3 Likes

Re: Who Charges N10,000 For A Kids Concert? by Adex097: 3:40pm On Jul 01, 2013
@op who pays a million plus for the school fee of a teenager in a tertiary institution?....ain't you aware that this world belongs to the rich and heaven belongs to the poor (HOLY)?

2 Likes

Re: Who Charges N10,000 For A Kids Concert? by yungboss001: 3:40pm On Jul 01, 2013
Next topic please... undecided
Re: Who Charges N10,000 For A Kids Concert? by chumakk: 3:40pm On Jul 01, 2013
They want to sing "all i want is your waist" to kids...hmm. The damages they are doing on TV by producing immoral videos are not enough for them?

3 Likes

Re: Who Charges N10,000 For A Kids Concert? by Denn(m): 3:40pm On Jul 01, 2013
dear OP,
wont you prefer to have a concert for your kids with assurances that they would be safe and in good company over a long night?

assume the concert price was pegged at N100. Can you imagine the kind of crowd and 'thugs' that will show up?

price discrimination is not always bad news

1 Like

Re: Who Charges N10,000 For A Kids Concert? by crackhaus: 3:43pm On Jul 01, 2013
Funny topic...really I've learnt not to be opinionated about how Nigerians spend their money, it is like fighting a lost war by going against the tide. I understand the poster's perspective as well as the original author of the article, but like someone said above me, who will go will still go. Nigerian society will tag an argument for this claim as, "If you nor get the money to pay, no be by force to attend".

1 Like

Re: Who Charges N10,000 For A Kids Concert? by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jul 01, 2013
biolabee:

i believe those prices are adjusted for kids...

I dont think so. A standard tickets costs about £50-60. Thats over 10k.
Re: Who Charges N10,000 For A Kids Concert? by crackhaus: 3:49pm On Jul 01, 2013
ITbomb: It is not a question of what the parent or the children will benefit.
By the time Chief Emeka hears that Chief Adeyemi's children are attending the party, it will be a question of 'do they think they are richer than me?'
Ooh beautiful, you just said it. It's the Nigerian society & its thinking patterns and this is the only reason why that venue will be filled up totally

1 Like

Re: Who Charges N10,000 For A Kids Concert? by AbuMikey(m): 3:51pm On Jul 01, 2013
You can call it Poverty Greediness or whatever you like!! The Price is just too exorbitant!
Re: Who Charges N10,000 For A Kids Concert? by freebreezeyz(m): 3:57pm On Jul 01, 2013
the points the OP and others in disdain of such am amount been leveled on such an age category is summarized in one sentence: "THE EARLIER SUCH A TREND IS NIPPED IN THE BUD, THE BETTER FOR US, OUR CHILDREN AND THE SOCIETY AT LARGE!"

You see, there is a lot to parenting many folks here dont seem to grasp or understand. There are so many issues involved in explaining to your kids WHY THEY WOULD BE PAYING SO MUCH TO GO WATCH A SHOW,need I say here that of all the names mentioned, only Henshaw gives some ray of hope that the kids wld learn a thing or 2!

Are you paying that much and taking them there to see ADVANCED SAGGING TECHNIQUES (AST) of whizkid and co or are you taking them there to groom them in becoming music stars?

Those kids that are told it aint much to pay 10k for a show, wld grow up seeing paying 1M for a round table as no big deal!(Need we do the Maths here that NOT ALL THE KIDS DAT ARE PRIVILEGED to go now may grow up having that much to spend)

Let us get our acts right in this country for once. Little drops they say, fills an ocean. It aint a good way at all to nurture these future leaders.

13 Likes

Re: Who Charges N10,000 For A Kids Concert? by Nobody: 4:06pm On Jul 01, 2013
GOD don talk say 'i must to make am'

na wa o, even among children?
Re: Who Charges N10,000 For A Kids Concert? by delors(m): 4:06pm On Jul 01, 2013
That half caste mugu called cecil hammond is all about money. Obviously he only wants kids from VI and Ikoyi on board...Ajegunle and Mushin students are called 'pikins' and they are not welcome. Na so he go dey talk like say he really means well for Naija...
Re: Who Charges N10,000 For A Kids Concert? by Nobody: 4:07pm On Jul 01, 2013
delors: That half caste mugu called cecil hammond is all about money. Obviously he only wants kids from VI and Ikoyi on board...Ajegunle and Mushin students are called 'pikins' and they are not welcome. Na so he go dey talk like say he really means well for Naija...

grin grin grin grin
Re: Who Charges N10,000 For A Kids Concert? by Nobody: 4:13pm On Jul 01, 2013
Instead I go put am for em account

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nollywood Stars At The Red Ball Event / ⏯️⚙️FOR YOUR EVENTS: GRADED STOCK “Quality Rugs”.❗️❗️❗️✔️ / Why Are Weddings Always held On Saturdays?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.