Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,327 members, 7,957,874 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 10:45 PM

Can Seun Sell Nairaland? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Can Seun Sell Nairaland? (837 Views)

Would You Sell Nairaland For $1million USD If You Own It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Seun Sell Nairaland? by Samchelsea(m): 7:19pm On Jun 30, 2013
I was just thinking to myself that can Seun and Nairaland be seperated and if possible by who?
Please don't get me wrong cos its just my personal thought, firstly i would like to say that Nairaland has come a long way and for someone like Seun to come up with such a nice idea means that he has carved a great niche for himself and it wont be easy to out-do him which is a great achievement for me so with all said and done i would like to ask that if a big organisation or firm from Nigeria or even outside Nigeria decides to buy up the domain Nairaland.com from Seun cos of the large number of visitors and registered users to the site will he sell it to them e.g if an organisation like google or yahoo proposes to give Seun like #100m or more to sell it to one of them so that they can use nairaland.com to have a big prescence in the Nigerian market will he sell them?
Re: Can Seun Sell Nairaland? by braine(m): 7:50pm On Jun 30, 2013
If you were to be Seun, would you sell Nairaland for N100m if you're going to sell at all? This site shouldn't be less than $2m if he decides to sell to the likes of Yahoo and co.
Re: Can Seun Sell Nairaland? by Samchelsea(m): 8:11pm On Jun 30, 2013
braine: If you were to be Seun, would you sell Nairaland for N100m if you're going to sell at all? This site shouldn't be less than $2m if he decides to sell to the likes of Yahoo and co.
thats why i said if he gets the right offer?
Re: Can Seun Sell Nairaland? by braine(m): 8:30pm On Jun 30, 2013
I wouldn't sell if I were him tho, even if I get the right offer. Nairaland is still growing, and the fruits of the operating the site is not yet very ripe.
Re: Can Seun Sell Nairaland? by Samchelsea(m): 8:34pm On Jun 30, 2013
braine: I wouldn't sell if I were him tho, even if I get the right offer. Nairaland is still growing, and the fruits of the operating the site is not yet very ripe.
what if he decides to sell it and then use the money to venture into another innovation as this and which in no time will grow just like NL
Re: Can Seun Sell Nairaland? by mascot87(m): 9:27pm On Jun 30, 2013
If he gets the right price, why not, but this site should go for nothing less than £10M.
Re: Can Seun Sell Nairaland? by Samchelsea(m): 8:41am On Jul 01, 2013
mascot87: If he gets the right price, why not, but this site should go for nothing less than £10M.
what is your criteria for coming with such figures?
Re: Can Seun Sell Nairaland? by Seun(m): 2:37pm On Jul 01, 2013
Samchelsea: what if he decides to sell it and then use the money to venture into another innovation as this and which in no time will grow just like NL
I can start new ventures without selling Nairaland. Selling Nairaland will make it much harder for such ventures to succeed!

braine: I wouldn't sell if I were him tho, even if I get the right offer. Nairaland is still growing, and the fruits of the operating the site is not yet very ripe.
Technically, the "right offer" will just have to be big enough to account for Nairaland's expected future growth. If I'm offered an amount that is significantly more than the maximum amount that I think Nairaland could ever be worth to me, I will seriously consider it. However, even in that case, I may reject the offer to spare myself from the stress and uncertainty involved in most acquisitions. There's no guarantee that the amount offered will actually be paid in the end. Prospective buyers may promise a huge figure to get you interested and then change the terms later.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Seun Sell Nairaland? by braine(m): 2:56pm On Jul 01, 2013
Technically, the "right offer" will just have to be big enough to account for Nairaland's expected future growth. If I'm offered an amount that is significantly more than the maximum amount that I think Nairaland could ever be worth to me, I will seriously consider it. However, even in that case, I may reject the offer to spare myself from the stress and uncertainty involved in most acquisitions. There's no guarantee that the amount offered will actually be paid in the end. Prospective buyers may promise a huge figure to get you interested and then change the terms later.

Trust me, Nairaland is growing, exponentially. And, with time, it would be worth more than you can imagine.

I really wonder what that maximum amount is though, that would make you wanna give away our precious forum. grin
Re: Can Seun Sell Nairaland? by GraphicsPlus(m): 3:34pm On Jul 01, 2013
There are cool features and opportunities Seun is yet to leverage to turn NL into a goldmine.
I mean, for the past 8 years, NL seems to be going very slow.
There are things Seun needs to put in place to expand this forum to yield great income for him.
Seun needs to think and implement these things.
Re: Can Seun Sell Nairaland? by curiouslad(m): 4:53pm On Jul 01, 2013
GraphicsPlus: There are cool features and opportunities Seun is yet to leverage to turn NL into a goldmine.
I mean, for the past 8 years, NL seems to be going very slow.
There are things Seun needs to put in place to expand this forum to yield great income for him.
Seun needs to think and implement these things.

Cool stuffs like
If he makes drastic changes to the website he might lose users. Think kevin rose!

I think he probably needs to drive more user engagement, people visit nairaland either to source for information or to interact with users. There are enough ways to interact with the information, the users need to be able to interact with each other, say

notifications when i'm quoted or replied to e.g. you have to rummage through all your followed posts before you can read this particular post and so do i if you reply me. Reduces the user interaction level

say up-voting and down-voting (to make the forum saner).
Re: Can Seun Sell Nairaland? by braine(m): 5:17pm On Jul 01, 2013
^I totally agree with you bro. Sometimes I post stuff that people reply but I don't check it coz it would be stressful reading every post. And the issues of 'likes': it'll be nice to know those who like particular posts. Theres alot that I think needs to be worked on to enhance user activities.
Re: Can Seun Sell Nairaland? by mitey(m): 6:08pm On Jul 01, 2013
curiouslad:

notifications when i'm quoted or replied to e.g. you have to rummage through all your followed posts before you can read this particular post and so do i if you reply me. Reduces the user interaction level

say up-voting and down-voting (to make the forum saner).

braine: ^I totally agree with you bro. Sometimes I post stuff that people reply but I don't check it coz it would be stressful reading every post. And the issues of 'likes': it'll be nice to know those who like particular posts. Theres alot that I think needs to be worked on to enhance user activities.

This is the only reason why I can support a NL app, (AJAX) notifications. Having to refresh a page every few munutes and read through all the posts to see if you were quoted can be stressful.

Right now, I don't think many people especially VCs will approach NL/Seun, because despite the traffic and users, it is not as profitable as it should be. Nairaland has a lot of potential that is begging to be used.

And while we are still on this, all online communities have an expiry date. All that is needed is a young kid barely out of School to come up with the next great idea for Nigeria and Africa, and Nairaland will be an old story and start struggling to stay relevant like MySpace and co.

My take on the matter? Whether or not Seun is approached to sell his website, he should make the best of it while it lasts, because it won't last forever.
Re: Can Seun Sell Nairaland? by Ajibel(m): 9:46pm On Jul 01, 2013
I agree. I've always wondered why Seun has prefered seeing Nairaland grow at a snail speed. If Seun would only take a bolder step to see Nairaland grow not just in membership but in popularity and coverage, he wouldnt even think of selling it by then cuz it'd be priceless.
Sometimes i just wish i own NL grin even Naija President for don get an account on nl
Re: Can Seun Sell Nairaland? by Samchelsea(m): 9:58pm On Jul 01, 2013
Nice input by all including Mr Seun 'the great' in particular cos from his reply i can sense someone who has a passion for what he is doing and not just doing it for money so i'm really impressed.
Again concerning the issue of making nairaland more attractive so as to attract more people and organisation to join nairaland will be a welcomed idea cos sometimes i when i hear some adverts on radio/tv at the end of it you will hear supported by so so and so e.g lindaikejiblog, jumia and so on which means to say those sites have grown so big and attractive to organisations and that should also be the case of Nairaland cos its needs publicity like that to attract this big organisations to partner it when organising events and some other things like that
Re: Can Seun Sell Nairaland? by Ajibel(m): 10:17pm On Jul 01, 2013
Yea for example lets say Nigerian Idol. Seun can meet d organisers and discus partnership by creating a medium for people to post their comments while it appears on tv realtime. A once popular website in d US bolt.com did sth like that for a tv show. Oga Seun needs idealist and promoters around him not just python programmers grin grin grin
Re: Can Seun Sell Nairaland? by Samchelsea(m): 10:40pm On Jul 01, 2013
Ajibel: Yea for example lets say Nigerian Idol. Seun can meet d organisers and discus partnership by creating a medium for people to post their comments while it appears on tv realtime. A once popular website in d US bolt.com did sth like that for a tv show. Oga Seun needs idealist and promoters around him not just python programmers grin grin grin
nice suggestion there and i don't think partnering those people will cost him 'an arm and a leg' cos it will be a win win situation for both
Re: Can Seun Sell Nairaland? by Nobody: 12:28am On Jul 02, 2013
Ajibel: Yea for example lets say Nigerian Idol. Seun can meet d organisers and discus partnership by creating a medium for people to post their comments while it appears on tv realtime. A once popular website in d US bolt.com did sth like that for a tv show. Oga Seun needs idealist and promoters around him not just python programmers grin grin grin

You nailed it there..

Like someone said, Nairaland has alot of Potential begging to be used.. If i owned Nairaland ehh shocked angry

(1) (Reply)

Anyone Making It With Addynamo?? / Have U Ever Upload A Joomla Site Without A Cpanel? / Nigerian Answer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.