Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,669 members, 7,809,523 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:52 AM

A MIRROR For SOFTWARE Downloads Here In NIGERIA - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / A MIRROR For SOFTWARE Downloads Here In NIGERIA (1052 Views)

Incubating Centre For software Developers / Request For Software Solution For Oil And Gas And Banks / Structured Programming As A Panacea For Software Crisis. Discuss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A MIRROR For SOFTWARE Downloads Here In NIGERIA by dansmog(m): 10:34am On Jul 02, 2013
A group of frnds on FB, complained about seeing only SA as the choice of MIRROR when downloading softwares.

Then they descided to see how this can be done in nigeria. Having a naija base mirror for software downloading.

Whats is your take on this one?
Re: A MIRROR For SOFTWARE Downloads Here In NIGERIA by dansmog(m): 10:35am On Jul 02, 2013
Can this be done?
Why do you think it will work or wont work?

Lets hear your opinion.
Re: A MIRROR For SOFTWARE Downloads Here In NIGERIA by spikesC(m): 11:55am On Jul 02, 2013
We need reliable servers, power supply and good internet connection. For now, the only people who, i think, that can do that are the ISP's
Re: A MIRROR For SOFTWARE Downloads Here In NIGERIA by dansmog(m): 9:55pm On Jul 02, 2013
spikes C: We need reliable servers, power supply and good internet connection. For now, the only people who, i think, that can do that are the ISP's
will the ISP's do this without considering ''what is in it for us'' at least they should know about it right?
Re: A MIRROR For SOFTWARE Downloads Here In NIGERIA by Ajibel(m): 6:42pm On Jul 05, 2013
Lol i've actually forgotten about this. I did a little research on dis and i dont think we can pull this off. Some of The challenges i discovered is what Spikes c echoed.
Re: A MIRROR For SOFTWARE Downloads Here In NIGERIA by spikesC(m): 11:54pm On Jul 05, 2013
dansmog++:
will the ISP's do this without considering ''what is in it for us'' at least they should know about it right?

that is the point, most ISP's, if not all, are not internet based, they just provide access to internet.

The only people who can understand the need of it are those that use those open source softwares
Re: A MIRROR For SOFTWARE Downloads Here In NIGERIA by farud(f): 11:03pm On Jul 09, 2013
Hmm, such an infrastructure would b a good idea, though it wouldnt come cheap, cuz for a top notch downloadn experience we re talking dedicated servers, with a really good back bone link lyk firbre optics stuff etc, so we'll be looking at a typical server farm setup with really gud power, backup and cooling technologies, in a nutshell no company wuld just setup a data centre just for the sake of serving as a mirror, most mirrors are servers donated by institutions and research centres that have gud server farm setups which they use for their day to day activities and usually just donate out part of their facicilty as most of them dont use 100% of their facility resources
Re: A MIRROR For SOFTWARE Downloads Here In NIGERIA by kodewrita(m): 2:11pm On Jul 12, 2013
I feel there's more to gain in setting up a locally hosted site for Nigerian torrents. That way the traffic stays local.
Re: A MIRROR For SOFTWARE Downloads Here In NIGERIA by Seun(m): 8:01pm On Jul 12, 2013
If you're directed to a South African mirror, it makes sense to use Google to find a mirror based in the UK.

I think most of our ISPs connect to the internet via the UK (or Europe, at least).

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (Reply)

Do You Think Learning Assembly Makes You A Better Programmer? / How Do I Use Javascript To Get The Domain Name From A Link / Crazy Fly Bird New Game - DOWNLOAD NOW - Review And Win

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.