Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,843 members, 7,851,858 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 09:24 AM

How Much Fuel Consuption Is Considered Economical? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Much Fuel Consuption Is Considered Economical? (1377 Views)

Help! My Audi A4 Takes Too Much Fuel!! / HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. / 1999 Toyota Camry Consumes Too Much Fuel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Fuel Consuption Is Considered Economical? by NumberOne2(m): 3:37pm On Jul 04, 2013
I hear folks say, a certain car has good fuel economy. Funny thing is that the same folks do not know the actual consuption on the car in Km/l or Km/g or mile/g. The gallon thing is confusing because there is the US GALLON (3.785L) and BRITISH GALLON (4.5L).
Someone may say, I go to and fro work a week on full tank. Such data doesn't help.
I use a Honda 2000 vtech (Honda Adidas). She does 8km/litre or 240km/30liters (30liters = half tank) with the AC on. Is this good?

1 Like

Re: How Much Fuel Consuption Is Considered Economical? by NumberOne2(m): 10:12pm On Jul 04, 2013
-How to check consumption-

1) Reset Odometer to 0.0 (to do this, hold down the button for about 5 seconds)
2) Fill you tank. You should know how big your tank is.
3) Check the odometer reading at half tank.
4) Check odometer when fuel light comes on.
5) Divide odometer reading by fuel consumption.
Example odometer reset to 0.0 is now 300 at half tank. Assuming half tank is 30 liters.
300/30 is 10km/liter

This may not be so accurate because some fuel gauges aren't accurate, however, if you do this 2 or 3 times, you will have a fair idea of what your consumption is.
Re: How Much Fuel Consuption Is Considered Economical? by ashafson: 12:31pm On Jul 16, 2021
NumberOne2:
I hear folks say, a certain car has good fuel economy. Funny thing is that the same folks do not know the actual consuption on the car in Km/l or Km/g or mile/g. The gallon thing is confusing because there is the US GALLON (3.785L) and BRITISH GALLON (4.5L).
Someone may say, I go to and fro work a week on full tank. Such data doesn't help.
I use a Honda 2000 vtech (Honda Adidas). She does 8km/litre or 240km/30liters (30liters = half tank) with the AC on. Is this good?

Very interesting, i have the same car but mine deos 6.4km/ltr without ac on. just baught it last month,pls any help on how to improve the fuel economy. me thinks that it shld do more than that.
tnx
Re: How Much Fuel Consuption Is Considered Economical? by Nobody: 1:08pm On Jul 16, 2021
ashafson:

Very interesting, i have the same car but mine deos 6.4km/ltr without ac on. just baught it last month,pls any help on how to improve the fuel economy. me thinks that it shld do more than that.
tnx

This what I keep saying about threads like this. Any discussion on mpg without average mph is meaningless.

I was able to move around during the last lockdown and did 16mpg with a particular vehicle. When the lockdown was eased and traffic returned, I'll have to be lucky to do 12mpg with same vehicle.

While it's actually possible that yours consumes more fuel than his it's also possible that you just drive in more traffic than he does.
Re: How Much Fuel Consuption Is Considered Economical? by ashafson: 2:45pm On Jul 16, 2021
rationalmind:

This what I keep saying about threads like this. Any discussion on mpg without average mph is meaningless.

I was able to move around during the last lockdown and did 16mpg with a particular vehicle. When the lockdown was eased and traffic returned, I'll have to be lucky to do 12mpg with same vehicle.

While it's actually possible that yours consumes more fuel than his it's also possible that you just drive in more traffic than he does.

You should confirm that before
Well i think you may be right because i drive within the town, may be on highway it may b less. i think i will try to check its mpg on highway b4 attemting anything.
tnx
Re: How Much Fuel Consuption Is Considered Economical? by seanfer(m): 4:30pm On Jul 16, 2021
ashafson:

Well i think you may be right because i drive within the town, may be on highway it may b less. i think i will try to check its mpg on highway b4 attemting anything.
tnx

You will discover that nothing is wrong with your Car fuel consumption when you drive on the highway.. Though you can't up to what the manufacturers mpg... But the difference won't be much.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

My Unforgettable Experience With Innoson Motors In Abuja. / Mercedes E-class All-terrain 4x4 Wagon Takes You To The Village In Style(photos) / One Useless Panel Beater

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.