Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,758 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:55 AM

Atheism - Not A Religion - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism - Not A Religion (1233 Views)

Atheism Is Frustrating. / My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! / Atheism Is A Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheism - Not A Religion by huxley(m): 4:59pm On May 16, 2008
The word atheism has many definitions, most subtly set around the nature of deities. The definition I prefer is the one that relates to the root of the word theism, the belief in deities. If theism means the belief in gods (deities), a-theism means the lack of a belief in deities (gods). The religionists usually describe atheism as a religion. To those who have this view, I have one question;

To describe atheism as a religion, is this meant as a compliment or as a criticism?
Re: Atheism - Not A Religion by Nobody: 5:03pm On May 16, 2008
huxley:

The word atheism has many definitions, most subtly set around the nature of deities. The definition I prefer is the one that relates to the root of the word theism, the belief in deities. If theism means the belief in gods (deities), a-theism means the lack of a belief in deities (gods). The religionists usually describe atheism as a religion. To those who have this view, I have one question;
Atheism is a religion that believes in the non-existence of God.

Because atheists cannot disprove the existence of God, they have to rely on faith to believe His non-existence.

Faith, afterall, is the substance if things NOT SEEN.

huxley:

To describe atheism as a religion, is this meant as a compliment or as a criticism?
A most apt description of atheism => beilief in the non-existence of God.
Re: Atheism - Not A Religion by PastorAIO: 5:11pm On May 16, 2008
imhotep:

This is a new definition of Faith for me.
Re: Atheism - Not A Religion by Nobody: 5:57pm On May 16, 2008
Heb 11:1 => est autem fides sperandorum substantia rerum argumentum non parentum
Re: Atheism - Not A Religion by JayFK(m): 6:16pm On May 16, 2008
imhotep:

Because atheists cannot disprove the existence of God, they have to rely on faith to believe His non-existence.

Therefore according to this I can say I believe in the non existence of santa claus rather than "I don't believe in Santa Claus", I can safely say it requires faith not to believe in santa claus and it applies to you, right Imhotep?
You cannot prove a claim of something "spiritual" or "non existence"
Re: Atheism - Not A Religion by Nobody: 6:22pm On May 16, 2008
JayFK:

Therefore according to this I can say I believe in the non existence of santa claus rather than "I don't believe in Santa Claus", I can safely say it requires faith not to believe in santa claus
With the right resources, you can prove that Santa Claus does not leave in the North/South pole, among other mis-yarns like that.

JayFK:

and it applies to you, right Imhotep? You cannot prove a NEGATIVE

But you can have faith in the same NEGATIVE. Not so?
Re: Atheism - Not A Religion by JayFK(m): 6:31pm On May 16, 2008
imhotep:

With the right resources, you can prove that Santa Claus does not leave in the North/South pole, among other mis-yarns like that.

But you can have faith in the same NEGATIVE. Not so?

simply put, if you agree that it requires faith not to believe in Santa Claus, Ill agree that it requires faith not to believe in god.

Make sure you define faith first before you reply, so we know what we are agreeing on.
Re: Atheism - Not A Religion by PastorAIO: 6:47pm On May 16, 2008
imhotep:

Heb 11:1 => est autem fides sperandorum substantia rerum argumentum non parentum

Now my latin is not so hot but I would interprete that line as: Faith is however Hoping in the essence/substance of things PROVEN yet not seen.  

That faith is the substance of things Not seen does not make sense to me.  Faith is not a substance.  The word sperandorum means hope. Am I correct?  I don't  claim to be a scholar and I am open to correction.  The word hope does not occur in your translation.  Argumentum is the Latin word for Proof , is it not?  The word proof does not occur in your translation.  

Also I would rather use the word essence rather than substance because today the word substance means something different from what it once did.  Something has substance today when it has mass and bulk and is weighty.  Originally substance meant that which 'stands underneath'.  Sub - Stance.  Ultimately the idea is that beyond the world that appears to our eyes there is another world that exists behind it and that supports it.  In fact that other world is the essence of the apparent world, from which the apparent world is derived.  This world of substance is not accessible to the physical sense but is accessible through faith.  

Is not Faith a Faculty of Perception?  People talk about blind faith but is that not oxymoronic?  What people call faith today is nothing like what faith actually is.
Re: Atheism - Not A Religion by Nobody: 7:15pm On May 16, 2008
JayFK:

simply put, if you agree that it requires faith not to believe in Santa Claus, Ill agree that it requires faith not to believe in god.
Make sure you define faith first before you reply, so we know what we are agreeing on.

It requires faith to believe that God does not exist ----> especially when you cannot prove the He does not exist.
Re: Atheism - Not A Religion by Nobody: 7:27pm On May 16, 2008
Pastor AIO:

Now my latin is not so hot but I would interprete that line as: Faith is however Hoping in the essence/substance of things PROVEN yet not seen.

That faith is the substance of things Not seen does not make sense to me. Faith is not a substance. The word sperandorum means hope. Am I correct? I don't claim to be a scholar and I am open to correction. The word hope does not occur in your translation. Argumentum is the Latin word for Proof , is it not? The word proof does not occur in your translation.

Also I would rather use the word essence rather than substance because today the word substance means something different from what it once did. Something has substance today when it has mass and bulk and is weighty. Originally substance meant that which 'stands underneath'. Sub - Stance. Ultimately the idea is that beyond the world that appears to our eyes there is another world that exists behind it and that supports it. In fact that other world is the essence of the apparent world, from which the apparent world is derived. This world of substance is not accessible to the physical sense but is accessible through faith.

Is not Faith a Faculty of Perception? People talk about blind faith but is that not oxymoronic? What people call faith today is nothing like what faith actually is.
@Pastor
I suggest you look for authentic Greek/Latin sources before making arbitrary translations.

Substance is used in its philosophical sense here.
Re: Atheism - Not A Religion by KAG: 7:44pm On May 16, 2008
imhotep:

Only if theism is a religion that does not believe in the non-existence of gods. oh wait, that's not how it works.

Atheism and theism are merely descriptors, not religions. Religious subsets may stem from and reside within both descriptors.

Or not.

I have faith that there is no purple three-headed monster bowling behind your chair.
Re: Atheism - Not A Religion by Nobody: 7:55pm On May 16, 2008
KAG:

Only if theism is a religion that does not believe in the non-existence of gods. oh wait, that's not how it works.

Atheism and theism are merely descriptors, not religions. Religious subsets may stem from and reside within both descriptors.
Ok. Let me re-phrase.

An atheistic religion is one that believes in the non-existence of God ---> even though it cannot prove this non-existence.

Happier? cheesy
Re: Atheism - Not A Religion by KAG: 8:11pm On May 16, 2008
imhotep:

Ok. Let me re-phrase.

An atheistic religion is one that believes in the non-existence of God ---> even though it cannot prove this non-existence.

Happier? cheesy

Mostly. Just a few minor corrections: An atheistic religion is one based on non-belief in the existence of Gods (plural, not singular) even though it cannot prove gods don't exist.
Re: Atheism - Not A Religion by Nobody: 8:15pm On May 16, 2008
KAG:

Mostly. Just a few minor corrections: An atheistic religion is one based on non-belief in the existence of Gods (plural, not singular) even though it cannot prove gods don't exist.
I concur.
Re: Atheism - Not A Religion by PastorAIO: 8:28pm On May 16, 2008
imhotep:

@Pastor
I suggest you look for authentic Greek/Latin sources before making arbitrary translations.

Right! I've been here before. YOu and your nonsensical arguments. 'authentic greek and latin sources'? You provided the source, you nincompoop!!! I merely translated what you provided. And I have since checked and my interpretations are correct. you missed out the words hope and proof in your translation.

And reading your subsequent posts what also becomes blatantly clear is that you don't even know what Faith is.

I'm done with you.
Re: Atheism - Not A Religion by Nobody: 8:32pm On May 16, 2008
Pastor AIO:

Right! I've been here before. YOu and your nonsensical arguments. 'authentic greek and latin sources'? You provided the source, you nincompoop!!! I merely translated what you provided. And I have since checked and my interpretations are correct. you missed out the words hope and proof in your translation.
You are free to create your own translation of the bible. After all, you are a Pastor. grin

Pastor AIO:

And reading your subsequent posts what also becomes blatantly clear is that you don't even know what Faith is.
It is far better to experience faith than to define it.

Pastor AIO:

I'm done with you.
Thanks for contributing. I appreciate.
Re: Atheism - Not A Religion by huxley(m): 9:05pm On May 16, 2008
Funny how, the faith-heads on this thread have decidedly avoided responding to the question I asked. I shall re-state it in case they missed it:

Is calling atheism a religion meant as a compliment or a criticism?
Re: Atheism - Not A Religion by Nobody: 9:07pm On May 16, 2008
huxley:

Neither a compliment nor a criticism - but a fitting description.
Re: Atheism - Not A Religion by huxley(m): 9:17pm On May 16, 2008
imhotep:

Neither a compliment nor a criticism - but a fitting description.

You exhibit the qualities a committed religious apologist, all evasion and sophistry. (Eusebius comes to mind).
Re: Atheism - Not A Religion by Nobody: 9:20pm On May 16, 2008
huxley:

You exhibit the qualities a committed religious apologist, all evasion and sophistry. (Eusebius comes to mind).
Because I don't subscribe to unjustifiable atheism?
Re: Atheism - Not A Religion by PastorAIO: 11:06pm On May 17, 2008
huxley:

It seemed to me that it was meant as an insult but it is a bit of a shot in the foot for the religionists. What I felt is that the religionist got the impression that the atheists were looking down on them for being 'gullible and childish' in their religious beliefs. In return they accuse atheism of being a religion too, in other words saying it's the pot calling the kettle black. But of course to thus berate a 'faith' is to shoot themselves in the foot because they are supposed to be upholding faith. And that is what makes your question so difficult to answer.
Re: Atheism - Not A Religion by huxley(m): 11:17am On May 18, 2008
Pastor AIO:

It seemed to me that it was meant as an insult but it is a bit of a shot in the foot for the religionists. What I felt is that the religionist got the impression that the atheists were looking down on them for being 'gullible and childish' in their religious beliefs. In return they accuse atheism of being a religion too, in other words saying it's the pot calling the kettle black. But of course to thus berate a 'faith' is to shoot themselves in the foot because they are supposed to be upholding faith. And that is what makes your question so difficult to answer.

Brilliant analysis!
Re: Atheism - Not A Religion by Nobody: 12:56pm On May 18, 2008
Theism is not even a religion, so how can you ignorantly consider its opposite one?

@ poster
It's indeed an insult. Atheists refuse and despise religion so much but yet these believers want to claim they are just as religious as they are.

And please, don't confide deists with atheists.

Remember atheists don't subscribe to any form of predestined order and have no adoration for nature!
Re: Atheism - Not A Religion by Nobody: 8:21am On May 20, 2008
An atheisitic religion is [STILL] a religion that believes that God does not exist. Even though it cannot prove that God does not exist. cheesy
Re: Atheism - Not A Religion by Nobody: 4:36pm On May 20, 2008
Atheistic religion That makes no sense at all. Are you believers so bored? Or maybe you are so lonely that now you want to force us to your irrational attitude? cheesy Sorry we don't want to be part of it.

The more you insist, the less sense you make. Atheistic religion!!!! This is really good! grin
Re: Atheism - Not A Religion by Nobody: 1:16pm On May 22, 2008
michelin89:
Atheistic religion

As long as atheistic beleif systems CANNOT provide a convincing proof for the non-existence of God/gods; they have a lot in common with other world religions.

It takes [an aberretion of] faith to believe in something [the non-existence of God/gods] you cannot prove.
Re: Atheism - Not A Religion by Nobody: 3:22pm On May 22, 2008
You are so illogical that it would be irrational for me to engage in a debate with you! undecided
Re: Atheism - Not A Religion by Nobody: 8:46pm On May 22, 2008
michelin89:

You are so illogical that it would be irrational for me to engage in a debate with you! undecided

There is nothing to debate when the truth is so glaring.  wink
Re: Atheism - Not A Religion by PastorAIO: 2:59pm On May 23, 2008
michelin89:

I see you've met . ,

(1) (Reply)

Pastor Wanted For Theft / May 21st; Judgement Day! / Imams Not As Corrupt As Pastors. How True?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.