Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,155 members, 7,953,588 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 07:56 PM

Meet The First Black Paliamentarian In Poland - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Meet The First Black Paliamentarian In Poland (1950 Views)

John Godson Polish First Black MP (Nigerian) / Meet The Woman Likely To Be Brazil's First Black President / Marieme Sall, Senegal's First Black First Lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet The First Black Paliamentarian In Poland by ChrisOD: 5:57pm On Jul 04, 2013
John Abraham Godson originally from Abia State
Photos show him meeting with his constituents

John Abraham Godson (né Godson Chikama Onyekwere; born 25 November 1970, Umuahia, Nigeria) is a Polish politician, a university teacher and a former Pentecostal minister. He is a Polish Member of Parliament and a member of the Civic Platform party.
Contents

1 Biography
2 Religious views
3 Views on racism in Poland
4 References

Biography

Godson Chikama Onyekwere was born in Nigeria to an Igbo family. He moved to Poland in 1993, and in 2001 became a Polish citizen. In 2008, he became a member of the Łódź City Council. In 2007, he unsuccessfully ran in the Polish parliamentary election. In 2010, he was re-elected for the City Council with 4736 votes, the second best result out of almost 800 candidates. As former MP Hanna Zdanowska was elected Mayor of Łódź in the same election, Godson replaced her as a member of the Sejm. He was sworn in on 14 December 2010. The "Obama bump" is considered by many the reason for the many votes he received during the Sejm campaign.[1] His supporters were known to cheer "Vivat! Vivat Polski Obama!" ("Long live the Polish Obama!). John Godson was re-elected as a member of the Polish parliament on the 9th of October 2011 with 29,832 votes [2]

Godson often emphasizes the importance of education and he is the holder of numerous academic degrees. He has a bachelor of science degree in agronomy from Abia State University in Nigeria (1987–92). He also holds Masters degrees in Human Resource Management and Development from Trinity College and Seminary in Newburgh, Indiana (2000-03)[3] and International relations from the Łódź Academy of International Studies (2006–08).[4] He finished two doctorate studies at the University of Warsaw (political Science- 2011) and University of Łódź (Management- 2012). He also holds a joint MBA/MSPC (Master of Business Administration/Master of Science in Professional Communication) run by Clark University and the Łódź Academy of Management.[5]

He was a senior lecturer at the Technical University of Szczecin (1993–97) and at Adam Mickiewicz University, Poznań. He is a guest lecturer in various institutions of higher learning in Poland and abroad. He is also the president of the African Institute in Poland.[6]

2 Likes

Re: Meet The First Black Paliamentarian In Poland by ChrisOD: 5:58pm On Jul 04, 2013
See Umuahia guy repping in Poland.

Re: Meet The First Black Paliamentarian In Poland by ChrisOD: 6:01pm On Jul 04, 2013
The guy has become something of a ''superstar'' in Poland

Re: Meet The First Black Paliamentarian In Poland by IGBOSON1: 6:08pm On Jul 04, 2013
I'm impressed by the mans achievement! Heard him speak on TV and i can understand why they elected him.

1 Like

Re: Meet The First Black Paliamentarian In Poland by ChrisOD: 6:08pm On Jul 04, 2013
He was among the high-level Polish governmental entourage that visited Nigeria recently. He is being introduced to GEJ by the Polish prime minister (or is it president?)

Re: Meet The First Black Paliamentarian In Poland by ChrisOD: 6:24pm On Jul 04, 2013
IGBO-SON:
I'm impressed by the mans achievement! Heard him speak on TV and i can understand why they elected him.

Yeah! Especially considering that this is happening in the middle of Europe, where sentiments against foreigners run quite deep. These guys are better (more tolerant) than us, Nigerians.
Re: Meet The First Black Paliamentarian In Poland by ChrisOD: 6:28pm On Jul 04, 2013
Campaign time in Poland. In saner climes, people work and convince people to elect them, not bribe or intimidate people to select them.

Re: Meet The First Black Paliamentarian In Poland by Nobody: 7:13pm On Jul 04, 2013
. [quote][/quote]

This is good news and impressive. We need to read hear more about people like this.
Re: Meet The First Black Paliamentarian In Poland by ayox2003: 10:28pm On Jul 04, 2013
Chris-OD:
See Umuahia guy repping in Poland.

Interesting to see an "Umuahia" black guy being voted for by white folks in a white mans land. While in Umuahia, a black town in a black country, hardly would you see a someone who would vote for a Mohammed or an Adamu (Northerner). Can you see why its so difficult for our nation to move forward?

Seeing a nation like America, where blacks were once called slaves, even brutally abused and killed, elect a Black president should send messages to nigerians. I say, if a white man, the so called slave-master could look beyond skin colour and differences to elect a black president ( so called slave), what in this world is wrong with Nigeria - the capital of black people in the world? If the world wants behave like nigerians - holding on to historical tribal differences- America should not be a friend of Japan today, Britain and Germany should be sworn enemies, Tecumesh's descendants should not be Americans. Now imagine what Japan and US will be losing in commerce and industry, imagine what the UK and Germany would have lost in technology and services, and Tecumesh descent wont be living in the greatest country in the world now.

I once heard someone say that poor, wretched nigerians still hold on to tribal differences while the rich, famous and successful ones dont care. But the rich only use tribal differences to stir-up the poor for his personal ambition. And ofcourse the poor assumes the rich really loves his tribe above his ambition. Then the poor dies in tribal wars but the rich lives and leaves wealth for his children's children. His children also use their father's 'tribal gimmick' for personal ambitions and it goes on from generation to generation - the poor keep dying for the rich with the belief that he died for his tribe/country.

Frawzey

2 Likes

Re: Meet The First Black Paliamentarian In Poland by Dibiachukwu: 11:27pm On Jul 04, 2013
Men these men have balls of steel. I can never go to poland. Let alone stand on the street and campaign for mayor grin I duff cap for the man.
Re: Meet The First Black Paliamentarian In Poland by omongbatic: 12:36am On Jul 05, 2013
Dibiachukwu: I can never go to poland. Let alone stand on the street and campaign for mayor grin

Why is that so? As long as you are not an illegal immigrant you are fine. There are racists everywhere including Nigeria
Re: Meet The First Black Paliamentarian In Poland by ejiyke2007(m): 12:56am On Jul 05, 2013
nice
Re: Meet The First Black Paliamentarian In Poland by Dibiachukwu: 1:17am On Jul 05, 2013
omongbatic:

Why is that so? As long as you are not an illegal immigrant you are fine. There are racists everywhere including Nigeria
Racism is not wrong. Bigotry is. Bigots in eastern europe, give a whole new meaning to bigotry. Out of this world. Try russia too. The story I hear about those places, make me respect people brave enough to be there. Another place full of bigots is Asia. Most people who go there would run back immediately, if they had a choice. I know people who traveled to these places, only to realize that they made a very big mistake to use their savings for that.
Re: Meet The First Black Paliamentarian In Poland by omongbatim: 1:28pm On Jul 05, 2013
Dibiachukwu:
Racism is not wrong. Bigotry is. Bigots in eastern europe, give a whole new meaning to bigotry. Out of this world. Try russia too. The story I hear about those places, make me respect people brave enough to be there. Another place full of bigots is Asia. Most people who go there would run back immediately, if they had a choice. I know people who traveled to these places, only to realize that they made a very big mistake to use their savings for that.

Poland may be in Eastern Europe but it is not a typical Eastern European country. It is quite advanced and western in nature.
Re: Meet The First Black Paliamentarian In Poland by Francis5: 6:55pm On May 11, 2015
Cool. Igbo kwenu
Re: Meet The First Black Paliamentarian In Poland by SonOfEl(m): 8:54pm On Jul 15, 2015
nwannem jishike...

(1) (Reply)

Photos Of Obama's Distressed And Angry Staff On Trump's First Visit / More Than 200,000 Children Married In US Over The Last 15 Years / Russia Vs Ukraine: Military Head To Head (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.