Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,113 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:23 PM

Benefits Of Cold Water Showers. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Benefits Of Cold Water Showers. (27516 Views)

Dangers Of Drinking Cold Water / What The Advantages/disadvantages Of Bathing Hot Or Cold Water? / Hot Or Cold Water, Which Is Better To Bath With (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Benefits Of Cold Water Showers. by rodeo0070(m): 11:40am On Jul 05, 2013
In ancient times, hot water was a luxury. People had to live near a hot springs in order to enjoy the comfort of a hot bath, so for most of human history people bathed in cold water. But even when the Ancient Greeks developed heating systems for their public baths, they continued bathing in cold water for the health benefits.

The Spartans, hard-asses that they were, felt hot water was for the weak and unmanly. When they did take baths (which was, like, once a year) they used only cold water because they thought it tempered the body and made it vigorous for ass kicking.

Benefits of Cold Water Showers.
While doctors may no longer instruct their patients to take a cold bath and call them in the morning, a shot of cold water can still impart real health benefits:

Improves circulation. Good blood circulation is vital for overall cardiovascular health. Healthy blood circulation also speeds up recovery time from strenuous exercises and work. Alternating between hot and cold water while you shower is an easy way to improve your circulation. Cold water causes your blood to move to your organs to keep them warm. Warm water reverses the effect by causing the blood to move towards the surface of the skin. Cold shower proponents argue that stimulating the circulatory system in this way keeps them healthier and younger looking than their hot water-loving counterparts.

Relieves depression. Lots of great men from history suffered bouts of depression. Henry David Thoreau is one such man. But perhaps Thoreau’s baths in chilly Walden Pond helped keep his black dog at bay. Research at the Department of Radiation Oncology at Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine indicates that short cold showers may stimulate the brain’s “blue spot”- the brain’s primary source of noradrenaline — a chemical that could help mitigate depression. I guess a bout of the blues isn’t so bad after all.

Keeps skin and hair healthy.
Hot water dries out skin and hair. If you want to avoid an irritating itch and ashy elbows, turn down the temperature of your showers. Also, cold water can make your manly mane look shinier and your skin look healthier by closing up your cuticles and pores.

Strengthens immunity. According to a study done in 1993 by the Thrombosis Research Institute in England, individuals who took daily cold showers saw an increase in the number of virus fighting white blood cells compared to individuals who took hot showers. Researchers believe that the increased metabolic rate, which results from the body’s attempt to warm itself up, activates the immune system and releases more white blood cells in response.

Increases testosterone. During the 19th century, many doctors and ministers recommended that young men take baths in cold water to reduce the sin of “self-pollution,” i.e. whacking off. Cold water was thought to extinguish a man’s flaming carnal desires. There was even a ghastly device invented on this principle.

How wrong they were! The same study by the Thrombosis Research Institute cited above showed that cold water showers actually increase testosterone production in men. Increased testosterone levels not only boost a man’s libido, but also his overall strength and energy level. If you’re looking to increase your testosterone, instead of juicing up like Mark McGwire, hop into a cold shower.

Increases fertility. Trying to become a dad? Cold showers are good for your little swimmers. Your testes aren’t meant to get too hot; that’s why they hang outside your body. Sperm counts decrease when the temperature of a man’s testes increases. Experiments done in the 1950s showed that hot baths were an effective contraceptive. Men who took a 30 minute hot bath every other day for 3 weeks were infertile for the next six months. More recently, the University of California at San Francisco did a study with men who were exposed to 30 minutes of “wet heat” (hot baths and such) a week. When the men cut this exposure out, their sperm count went up by 491%, and their sperm’s motility improved as well. While switching from a hot to cold shower may not have as dramatic an effect, if you’re trying to create some progeny, it surely won’t hurt.

Increases energy and well-being. Every time I end a shower with cold water, I leave feeling invigorated and energized. Your heart starts pumping, and the rush of blood through your body helps shake off the lethargy of the previous night’s sleep. For me, the spike in energy lasts several hours. It’s almost like drinking a can of Diet Mountain Dew, minus the aspartame. And while it hasn’t been studied, many people swear that cold showers are a surefire stress reducer. I’m a believer.

Getting Started with Cold Water Showers
If you’ve spent most of your life taking hot showers, suddenly turning the dial in the other direction can be a big shock to the system. When I decided to get started again with them, my heart almost jumped out of my chest, and I nearly passed out from hyperventilating when the cold water hit my body. Too much, too soon.

My suggestion (based on personal experience) is to gradually decrease the temp of the water so your body can adjust.

Which reminds me, some people with certain conditions should avoid cold showers because of the shock to the body’s system. If you have the following conditions, you’ll have to harness your inner 007 another way:
*Heart disease. If my normal, healthy heart felt like it was about to explode, imagine how a diseased heart will feel.
*High blood pressure. The contraction in your blood vessels caused by cold water could cause a stroke. Apparently.
*Overheated or feverish. Your blood vessels need to dilate in order to release heat. Cold water causes them to constrict.

CULLED FROM: http://www.artofmanliness.com

4 Likes

Re: Benefits Of Cold Water Showers. by tunjiup: 12:38pm On Jul 05, 2013
Good one
Re: Benefits Of Cold Water Showers. by dridowu: 1:45pm On Jul 05, 2013
Nce one but confused cos " cold water " @ what temp can will regard as cold ?
Re: Benefits Of Cold Water Showers. by 27naira(m): 4:04pm On Jul 05, 2013
Tell it to the Russians... undecided

8 Likes

Re: Benefits Of Cold Water Showers. by xynerise: 4:07pm On Jul 05, 2013
Depending on the climate condition.

3 Likes

Re: Benefits Of Cold Water Showers. by Chrisbenogor(m): 4:10pm On Jul 05, 2013
Experiments done in the 1950s showed that hot baths were an effective contraceptive.Men who took a 30 minute hot bath every other day for 3 weeks were infertile for the next six months.More recently, the University of California at San Francisco did a study with men who were exposed to 30 minutes of “wet heat” (hot baths and such) a week. When the men cut this exposure out, their sperm count went up by 491%, and their sperm’s motility improved as well. While switching from a hot to cold shower may not have as dramatic an effect, if you’re trying to create some progeny, it surely won’t hurt.
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: Benefits Of Cold Water Showers. by bloglover(m): 4:11pm On Jul 05, 2013
I remember dose days when I lived at d northpole,na cold water wey dem put inside fridge i dy use baff.by d way, santa claus bin dy live 4 my backyard.

5 Likes

Re: Benefits Of Cold Water Showers. by anishe(m): 4:12pm On Jul 05, 2013
I be confirm Badagry boy and so na cold water we must bath grin grin grin

I hope that will reduce the price of Garri for me in the market sha.

3 Likes

Re: Benefits Of Cold Water Showers. by igbsam(m): 4:13pm On Jul 05, 2013
I live in poland. So u expect me to bath cold water inside this freezing country. No be me and u.

1 Like

Re: Benefits Of Cold Water Showers. by lyly911(f): 4:14pm On Jul 05, 2013
plz dont try it in d north during harmattan or else u will become an icewater

1 Like

Re: Benefits Of Cold Water Showers. by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jul 05, 2013
I'm so glad to know this. Hot water has always been my choice. I've always been told, but I never believed.
Re: Benefits Of Cold Water Showers. by naUgotire: 4:16pm On Jul 05, 2013
All na wash. I no gree. Water na water, whether cold or hot! Una wan turn cold water now to ogwonnuoria, ehh?
Re: Benefits Of Cold Water Showers. by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jul 05, 2013
it makes you feel relaxed, and if you took it before going to bed, you can be assured of a sweet night rest.
Disadvantage is it could cause you cold or catarrh.

1 Like

Re: Benefits Of Cold Water Showers. by ceej24: 4:21pm On Jul 05, 2013
Not in Jos.
Re: Benefits Of Cold Water Showers. by slap1(m): 4:22pm On Jul 05, 2013
I don't bath cold water for anything. Thanks.
Re: Benefits Of Cold Water Showers. by OkikiOluwa1(m): 4:23pm On Jul 05, 2013
I v alwez loved cold water.
Re: Benefits Of Cold Water Showers. by momodub: 4:24pm On Jul 05, 2013
not in canada cold go finish you after many years of hot water i dey fear cold water grin grin

1 Like

Re: Benefits Of Cold Water Showers. by fitzmayowa: 4:24pm On Jul 05, 2013
following

1 Like

Re: Benefits Of Cold Water Showers. by ogunjimiwalefat(m): 4:27pm On Jul 05, 2013
wasting of idea! cold water ko ice water ni abeg i won sleep jare!
Re: Benefits Of Cold Water Showers. by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jul 05, 2013
it also makes a joystick to shrink in size..

1 Like

Re: Benefits Of Cold Water Showers. by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jul 05, 2013
Turns me on doubly undecided
Re: Benefits Of Cold Water Showers. by ignis: 4:35pm On Jul 05, 2013
Nice article.
Thanks for the enlightenment.
Re: Benefits Of Cold Water Showers. by solacec4t(f): 4:38pm On Jul 05, 2013
ceej24: Not in Jos.

for sure,except u are ready to go to a far far away land
Re: Benefits Of Cold Water Showers. by yuzedo: 4:39pm On Jul 05, 2013
mollytinrox: Turns me on doubly undecided
Hi. I tink we neeeeeed to talk. sad
Re: Benefits Of Cold Water Showers. by siraj1402(m): 4:44pm On Jul 05, 2013
I don't know if hot water was used on me when I was small,no matter the cold,I will rather not bath than using hot water and every it said about the benefit is perfect.
Re: Benefits Of Cold Water Showers. by FoxyRebirth(m): 4:46pm On Jul 05, 2013
yuzedo:
Hi. I tink we neeeeeed to talk. sad

Mentor grin grin
Re: Benefits Of Cold Water Showers. by dabrake(m): 4:46pm On Jul 05, 2013
Yomieluv: it also makes a joystick to shrink in size..
10/10

1 Like

Re: Benefits Of Cold Water Showers. by rodeo0070(m): 4:49pm On Jul 05, 2013
dridowu: Nce one but confused cos " cold water " @ what temp can will regard as cold ?
Maybe my friends here can tell you more...LOL

2 Likes

Re: Benefits Of Cold Water Showers. by born2boink(m): 4:51pm On Jul 05, 2013
Do they me Cold water from refrigerator or Ordinary water/normal water.

If it is cold water, it means we have to add blokes to it to make it very cold then bath.
Re: Benefits Of Cold Water Showers. by idriis: 5:05pm On Jul 05, 2013
I don't know about iceland or canada o, but for naija na cold water and garri sure pass. Unless u wan mek eba be dat.

1 Like

Re: Benefits Of Cold Water Showers. by idriis: 5:11pm On Jul 05, 2013
born2fuck: Do they mean Cold water from refrigerator or Ordinary water/normal water.

If it is cold water, it means we have to add blokes to it to make it very cold then bath.
na cold ice-block pure water tutu mai sanyi.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Autojosh Reported About The Dirty State Of Ojuelegba, Then See What Happened / Many Covenant University Students ‘hospitalised’ Over Suspected Food Poisoning / Woman Delivered Of 25 Months Pregnancy - Miracle Working God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.