Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,977 members, 7,817,878 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:55 PM

Hot Or Cold Water, Which Is Better To Bath With - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Hot Or Cold Water, Which Is Better To Bath With (46841 Views)

Dangers Of Drinking Cold Water / Tissue Paper Or Water: Which Is Better? / What The Advantages/disadvantages Of Bathing Hot Or Cold Water? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hot Or Cold Water, Which Is Better To Bath With by toluxa1(m): 5:29pm On Dec 17, 2010
I have been using very hot water to bath since I was small, up till now I still use it even in heat seasons. Some people say it is the reason why my skin is a little wrinkled (like an old person wink). Is this true? What are the advantages and disadvantages of using either of them? Which is better to bath with, Hot water or Cold water?
Re: Hot Or Cold Water, Which Is Better To Bath With by ritapearl(f): 5:36pm On Dec 17, 2010
I also heard hot water gives wrinkles. There should be an element of truth in it since you said your skin is a little wrinkled.

1 Like

Re: Hot Or Cold Water, Which Is Better To Bath With by Basildon1(m): 5:41pm On Dec 17, 2010
Ice cold water then, cheesy. Think you should be speaking to a dermatologist. I dont believe in old wives tales.
Re: Hot Or Cold Water, Which Is Better To Bath With by toluxa1(m): 6:45pm On Dec 17, 2010
I read an article online which sounded like hot water has more advantages over cold. The sudden change of body temperature when u pour cold water on your body has its effect on . . . . (some heart stuffs like that). Experts, please explain.
Re: Hot Or Cold Water, Which Is Better To Bath With by InkedNerd(f): 11:15pm On Dec 17, 2010
If you don't wanna use hot or cold water, then warm water should be fine. I personally use hot water whether its cold or not. And yes, I have heard that hot water wrinkles the skin. Hot water tends to open the pores of the skin, while cold water closed the pores. A way you can try to improve or increase the amount of moisture absorbing into your skin would be to apply a moisturizer [i.e. body lotion/cream, body oil, or body butter] while the skin is semi-wet. When I bathe for example, I never towel off. What I do is apply body oil or shea butter to my skin while my skin is completely wet. As you skin dries, it absorbs the moisture of the oil and shea butter as it is absorbing the water. I use a totally different method on my face though.
Re: Hot Or Cold Water, Which Is Better To Bath With by Cupidkc(m): 8:32am On Mar 16, 2012
Just passing...
Re: Hot Or Cold Water, Which Is Better To Bath With by r231(m): 8:38am On Mar 16, 2012
depends on where you stay

i use hot/warm water all yr round abroad and

cold water all yr round when i go naija

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hot Or Cold Water, Which Is Better To Bath With by Nobody: 6:50pm On Mar 16, 2012
hot water can cause dry skin which is responsible for many skin discomfort like itching
Re: Hot Or Cold Water, Which Is Better To Bath With by toluxa1(m): 8:50pm On Jul 20, 2012
For close to a year now, I started using cold water. Don't really see any difference sha.
Re: Hot Or Cold Water, Which Is Better To Bath With by doublekay: 4:41am On Jul 21, 2012
Both have there strings of advantages and disadvantages, ranging from there cardiovascular effects to there dermal effects and these effects are dependent on factors like the temperature of your present environment skin type etc

In as much as hot water possesses a microbial characteristic and can as well Induce relaxation by an interplay between the cardiovascular system and nervous system ( gist for another day ). I rather suggest that for the purpose of just batting (mostly people in Nigeria) that you go for a very Luke warm water (that's almost @ room temperature)
Re: Hot Or Cold Water, Which Is Better To Bath With by century106: 12:23am On Sep 10, 2012
Its an old believe that hot water ages the skin, but as much as our educated minds will make us disregard some of these believes, most are actually true...

Even if the temp is -32oF, I stick to cold water, not because of the afore-mentioned believe but that's what am used to...
Re: Hot Or Cold Water, Which Is Better To Bath With by AmaechiLinus(m): 3:29pm On Dec 30, 2014
U can neither bath with Cold water or Hot water. Warm water is d best(is neither Cold nor Hot)
Re: Hot Or Cold Water, Which Is Better To Bath With by Ewecris(m): 12:07pm On Jun 13, 2016
Benefits of a hot water bath:
1. Hot water baths are excellent to cleanse your body as the warmer temperatures tend to kill all the germs that you are exposed to throughout the day. It is also helpful in maintaining better personal hygiene.
2. They are extremely beneficial to relieve cold and cough as the hot water and steam tends to clear your airways and help in decongesting your nose and throats.
3. They are also known to beat insomnia and sleep disorders and are excellent to induce sleep.
4. Hot water baths are also known to relieve stress and fatigue and also help relax sore muscles. It has also been shown to improve the flexibility of muscles giving you a supple body.
5. Studies have also shown that hot water showers reduce sugar levels in the body making them ideal for diabetics . This study showed that sugar levels of diabetics who immersed themselves in hot water tubs for 20 – 30 minutes for three weeks, had reduced by 13 %.
Benefits of a cold water bath:
1. Cold water showers give you a push start in the morning. They tend to stimulate your nerve endings and help getting rid of the laziness and sleepiness.
2. They help you treat depression . Cold water baths have shown to increase the release of depression-beating chemicals like nor-adrenaline and beta-endorphins making you feel fresh.
3. Helps improve reproductive health in men. Studies have shown that cold water showers stimulate the release of testosterone which helps in increasing your libido.
4. Cold water baths have shown to stimulate the lymphatic and immune system, which helps in boosting the production of infection fighting cells thereby increasing your immunity.
5. Your lung function improves tremendously with cold water showers. That feeling of breathlessness you get when you pour cold water over your head is the reason behind this property of cold water. You tend to hold your breath with each mug of water and slowly release your breath ,thus improving your lung function.

1 Like

Re: Hot Or Cold Water, Which Is Better To Bath With by toluxa1(m): 10:45pm On Jun 13, 2016
thanks
Re: Hot Or Cold Water, Which Is Better To Bath With by dubbiskelly(m): 6:58am On Jun 14, 2016
I don dey use hot water since time immemorial, I even baff am this morning sef. That said, there is no evidence to prove that hot water wrinkles the skin.

(1) (Reply)

Very Old People Who Recovered From Coronavirus Disease Around The World / N32m Raised To Treat Deformed Baby Rejected By His Father (Pictures) / Man Serves His Amputated Foot To Friends For Dinner (Graphic Story & Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.