Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,830 members, 7,820,911 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:15 AM

My Simple Portfolio Website Review - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / My Simple Portfolio Website Review (717 Views)

Website Review / www.9jatech.com - Website Review, Your Comments Will Be Appreciated / Requesting a Website Review: PresentDangerOnline.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Simple Portfolio Website Review by nollyj: 5:01pm On Jul 05, 2013
I have just decided to make a simple portfolio website since many people are asking me about my website. Please kindly help me and review it. I am currently working on the responsive aspect now.

http://toscanyacademy.com/myportfolio/

Thanks
Re: My Simple Portfolio Website Review by yawatide(f): 5:55pm On Jul 05, 2013
Overall, it looks very good, IMHO. Consider the following though:

1) The lady in the background is, IMHO, obscuring the content on top

2) Get rid of "I breathe, I smell,..." Doesn't look or sound professional, IMHO

3) Have you checked out the site on mobile? On the contact form for instance, I can't see beyond the "name" field, courtesy of your faux scroll bars

4) Wow! I can get a pro website implemented for $0.00? Sign me up for a site similar to facebook.com sharp sharp, biko tongue
Re: My Simple Portfolio Website Review by curiouslad(m): 6:06pm On Jul 05, 2013
if its going to be responsive then your sidebar has to somehow vanish angry angry
when i'm on mobile and have to scroll over 250-300px averytime i navigate on your page

You could find cleaner cliparts for your icons on the homepage (mobile-app dev,et.c)

looks great other than that
cheers
Re: My Simple Portfolio Website Review by GraphicsPlus(m): 6:28pm On Jul 05, 2013
The three background images are a no no to me. The first picture of a reflected lady trying to k!ss herself will fit a fashion designer's or photographer's website, not a web developer. Why not try getting pictures that perfectly illustrate what you are saying. You can just subscribe for one month at depositPhotos or 123rf and get high quality pictures that are corporate, professional and engaging.

The three icons representing mobile apps, web design and free template are not sharp enough.

Not really so important, but I think your work process should be five:
1. Plan
2. Design
3. Develop
4. Test
5. Launch

I do not think 'Pricing' page is necessary. It's usually suitable for web hosting companies and companies that offer digital products and software.

The box-shadow in your input fields is somehow too much.

Well done.
Re: My Simple Portfolio Website Review by nollyj: 6:58pm On Jul 05, 2013
Thanks, just like I said I am currently working on the responsive aspect so that it will fit well in mobile

yawa-ti-de:

3) Have you checked out the site on mobile? On the contact form for instance, I can't see beyond the "name" field, courtesy of your faux scroll bars
Re: My Simple Portfolio Website Review by nollyj: 7:02pm On Jul 05, 2013
Thanks for your review. As I said on my post that I am currently working on the responsive aspect so that it will fit well on mobile phones. I agree with you about the image (mobile-app dev,et.c) not being so sharp. I have change it with icon font in my dev version.
curiouslad: if its going to be responsive then your sidebar has to somehow vanish angry angry
when i'm on mobile and have to scroll over 250-300px averytime i navigate on your page

You could find cleaner cliparts for your icons on the homepage (mobile-app dev,et.c)

looks great other than that
cheers
Re: My Simple Portfolio Website Review by nollyj: 7:09pm On Jul 05, 2013
Thanks
GraphicsPlus: The three background images are a no no to me. The first picture of a reflected lady trying to k!ss herself will fit a fashion designer's or photographer's website, not a web developer.
. You are right but sometimes I don't always like to follow conventions in design.

I do not think 'Pricing' page is necessary. It's usually suitable for web hosting companies and companies that offer digital products and software.

I have a reason while I added a price page.

Well done.[/quote]
Re: My Simple Portfolio Website Review by marceli: 7:55pm On Jul 05, 2013
This is a very simple example of a web designers portfolio:
[url]cellenesswebsites.com/portfolio[/url]
There are many like this on the internet
Re: My Simple Portfolio Website Review by yawatide(f): 8:32pm On Jul 05, 2013
^^^ I prefer OP's
Re: My Simple Portfolio Website Review by yawatide(f): 9:24pm On Jul 05, 2013
OP:

Sorry for missing your response to mine. I didn't mean or say anything about responsiveness. That na GraphicsPlus domain tongue

On a serious note though, your site doesn't necessarily have to be responsive (being responsive is a plus though, given the current trends) but it does need to at least be consistent across all devices. In other words, if I see 10 fields on a contact form on a desktop, I should see the same 10 fields on my mobile...and it doesn't matter if I have to zoom in, zoom out or scroll to see it...I must to see 10 fields.

You grab?
Re: My Simple Portfolio Website Review by nollyj: 9:46am On Jul 06, 2013
@yawa
Yeah, that is the true picture. I usually develop from bigger screen down to small screen though many do the inverse. Once I finish with the desktop I always like to get some input. I will incorporate it along porting the site to smaller screen. Yeah I think someone in a different thread declared Graphicsplus as a Responsive Evangelist - which is good because he has made many webmasters here to think also about low end devices during website development
Re: My Simple Portfolio Website Review by yawatide(f): 4:05pm On Jul 06, 2013
^^^ Here is my suggestion, assuming you aren't doing it already. It has worked for me for the past 10+ years tongue

Code incrementally:
Determine what devices/browsers you want to support. When you code your header, you test across the board. Then you code your navigation...test across the board. Then you code your main content area...test,etc etc. The advantage here is that if you have a problem, it is easier to isolate and fix. If you code everything first then test, you won't know what caused the problem and may end up spending unnecessary hours attending to the wrong issue.
Re: My Simple Portfolio Website Review by nollyj: 4:21pm On Jul 06, 2013
^^^
Your workflow will work in many situations. But when you have a different media query that targets individual device, the only thing you can test across devices are things that they all share in common.
Re: My Simple Portfolio Website Review by yawatide(f): 4:35pm On Jul 06, 2013
Again, incremental coding:
Build header, test. Build body, test, etc etc. It hasn't failed me yet...and I doubt it will fail me ever cool
Re: My Simple Portfolio Website Review by curiouslad(m): 9:32pm On Jul 06, 2013
marceli: This is a very simple example of a web designers portfolio:
[url]cellenesswebsites.com/portfolio[/url]
There are many like this on the internet
shocked shocked

(1) (Reply)

My First Wordpress Powered Website / How To Get A Copyright Certificate For A Website / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.