Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,700 members, 7,816,869 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:04 PM

How To Get A Really Good Night's Sleep 10 Sleep Tips - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To Get A Really Good Night's Sleep 10 Sleep Tips (529 Views)

Good Night / What Can I Do To Like Sex More Than The Night Sleep. / Husbands, Sometimes Your Wife Just Wants To Have A Good Night's Sleep. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Get A Really Good Night's Sleep 10 Sleep Tips by Nobody: 5:46pm On Jul 05, 2013
ve been studying different beds and our own sleep for the past six months. While we've still got six beds to go and haven't determined a favorite, I have learned that a really good night's sleep is only partially caused by the bed. This, then, is a primer of ten tips that I've collected up to help you sleep really well — in ANY bed.
I'm no scientist, but I'm a good sleep subject because I have a really hard time falling asleep and often have felt lousy in the morning. Because of this I do watch myself closely and get really excited when I awake feeling fresh, lovely and invigorated for the day ahead.
I've also been testing my theories to see if I can reproduce both good and bad nights' of sleep, and met with success. Therefore, I know that this stuff works — for me at least.
Remember, these tips are really old fashioned and accessible to all (they may not even surprise you), and have nothing to do with how much your bed costs, so enjoy and add any of your own to the comments.
The Night Has Three Parts - Ace Them All
I have found that our sense of a good night's sleep comes from our memory of three distinct parts, each of which has to have been restful and uninterrupted to gather up into a Really Good Night's Sleep:

Falling Asleep
Sleeping Through The Night
Waking up

A good night's sleep really means feeling good at every step of the way. For example, I can pass out pretty happily after a big weekend evening of drinking, but I'll toss in the middle of the night and awake with a headache that really ruins it all. Sometimes I go to bed early and sleep really well through the night, but awake feeling grumpy and tired for no discernable reason. Both of these are problems and these tips will solve them both.
Overall, my experience of a good night's sleep is 25% Falling Asleep, 25% Sleeping Throughout The Night and 50% Waking Up, which means that while each part is important, it's that last one that leaves the deepest impression. So here are the tips to address being successful each step of the way (keep in mind that we stick to these tips on most weeknights. Weekends we do not).
The Tips - In Order of Importance
1. Eat a Small Dinner - This is a huge deal and so easy. While a big meal before bed can keep your digestion working for hours, a small meal puts only a light demand on your body and allows it to rest much more fully. Sara and I actually have got it down to a large, fresh vegetable juice in the evening. That's all. You sleep better, AND you stay trim. :-)
2. Avoid Alcohol - While a great way to FALL asleep, all those fun drinks, like wine and beer, etc, will ruin a good nights' sleep by causing dehydration (among other things). They make me wake up in the middle of the night with a powerful, uncomfortable thirst, and I'm often very hot as well. And then there's that occasional hangover, which sucks. Want to sleep really well? Skip the fun drinks in the evening (we skip on weeknights).
3. Unwind Your Mind - Like your body, your mind can be over stimulated and make it hard to get a really good night's rest. When I have a stressful day at work I make an effort to not work or look at email after dinner. Computers and work stuff can really wind me up. Instead, I'll take a hot bath and read a book, both of which totally take my mind off the day.
4. Three Nights in a Row is the Magic Number - Sleep is cumulative, so don't expect a really good night's sleep on your first night. You need at least two nights and preferably three to get into a really good groove and bank some deep rest. We stick to these tips most Mondays through Thursdays and that's when it really gets good.
----------
5. Exercise Helps - Being physically tired really contributes to a good night's sleep and that doesn't happen to most of us who work in offices these days - remember when you were a kid, ran around all day and collapsed at night? Having daily exercise as a part of your routine contributes strongly to your body relaxing at night.
read the rest of the article at www.distributenaija..com for life tips,info,and timely news headlines.

(1) (Reply)

Tips For Happy Living For The Upward Mobile Lady. / Laspotech Part Time Form / The Best Ways To Get Your Late Father Gratiuty

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.