Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,679 members, 7,823,919 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:23 PM

What/How Do You Eat in Ramadan? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / What/How Do You Eat in Ramadan? (8680 Views)

In Ramadan, My Wife Doesn't Want To Sleep With Me / How To Overcome Sexual Temptation In Ramadan / What Time Do We Start And End Fasting In Ramadan? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What/How Do You Eat in Ramadan? by deols(f): 5:56pm On Jul 07, 2013
What do you eat for Sahur and what do you break with?

What are the health choices you make in Ramadan?

Is cooking or eating Sahur or fatur easy for you and how have you faced the challenges or what have you been doing about it...

These and more...On This Thread.

This is about making the most of Ramadan with focus on the food we eat.

There's a lot of blessings in the holy month and we can get so much from eating right.

Qur'an/Hadith quotations +medical research etc on eating are welcome.
[size=5pt]
This isnt to be a very serious affair[/size]

1 Like

Re: What/How Do You Eat in Ramadan? by deols(f): 6:06pm On Jul 07, 2013
Let me start by asking-

Do you find sahur(saari) easy to eat? What do you like to eat and why?

1 Like

Re: What/How Do You Eat in Ramadan? by mukina2: 6:42pm On Jul 07, 2013
deols: What do you eat for Sahur and what do you break with?
i break with fruits and water i tend to drink a lot, then afterwards normal food
for sahur most times its porridge or bread and juice/water, i don't do tea . .dislike it

What are the health choices you make in Ramadan?
lipsrsealed

Is cooking or eating Sahur or fatur easy for you and how have you faced the challenges or what have you been doing about it...
no challenges really, most times its something everyone can eat easily, its not everyone that can eat heavy during the early hours, only my younger brother and he adjusts.

2 Likes

Re: What/How Do You Eat in Ramadan? by maclatunji: 7:52pm On Jul 07, 2013
I have been making the transition into Ramadan in the last 3 years or more easily. I am not so sure about this year. Not feeling like 100% probably because of stress. As for food, swallow at sahur and rice or something like that at breaking is common for me.

That's about it, nothing fancy.

3 Likes

Re: What/How Do You Eat in Ramadan? by deols(f): 9:29pm On Jul 07, 2013
Thanks for the replies. Here is mine..

I most of the time eat rice for sahur. spaghetti and the likes can take its place. But I cut down on the vegges(cos they are roughages and aid digestion sad)

I dont like swallows because they are actually more made of water than the carbohydrate part. They aint filling enough grin plus I have to eat them with vegges that help food break down undecided

When I lose appetite, sometimes in the middle of the month/ when I wake up late, I eat garri in cold water cool

Then plenty of water joins.

For Fatur,

Anything goes actually. At home,it is tradition for people to take pap first. I dont like it much.

Fruits and plenty water at this time as well. I believe taking much water throughout the time that I am awake helps the next day.

2 Likes

Re: What/How Do You Eat in Ramadan? by zayhal(f): 10:23pm On Jul 07, 2013
For sahur, mostly swallows. Iftar, plenty of fruits and water, then regular meals like rice, beans, yam and eggs/stew etc. Pap and akara goes in-between. Most times, by the time I'm done taking pap and akara and loads of fruits, I don't get to eat the main meals again.

Don't know if this only happens with people around me or in my environment, there's usually this mad rush for food, to stock up the house in prep for Ramadhan. I then wonder, it's fasting period. Isn't this the time we should be less bothered about stocking up? I discussed this with someone today and his response was that he likes to stock up in prep for Ramadhan because he wants to remove the stress of going to the markets in Ramadhan, that more time is needed for Ibaadah. Well, I'd like to hear/read other opinions.

Hope I'm not derailing @deols

2 Likes

Re: What/How Do You Eat in Ramadan? by readonenaire(m): 6:22am On Jul 08, 2013
i think we should bothered mostly with ibadah not necessarily food like zayhal has pointed out smiley but nonetheless a very good fufu or eba during sahur will make my Day smiley while porridge or rice during fatur .... i tend to take a lot of milk during ramadan, i dont know why, but it happens ..... marhaban bro nd sis
Re: What/How Do You Eat in Ramadan? by golpen(m): 8:44am On Jul 08, 2013
Hmmm...grin

I think fasting is easier with this type of cool weather, unlike in the hot ones when you'll get dehydrated. Anyway, I'm not mostly into food things during ramadan (but don't try me on normal days grin), so I prefer the light meals for sahur mostly, and fatur may require little heavy meals. Fruits and milk is highly preferred by me for iftar, followed by the real meal. May Allah accept it as an act of ibadah.

3 Likes

Re: What/How Do You Eat in Ramadan? by deols(f): 11:31am On Jul 08, 2013
^amin
Re: What/How Do You Eat in Ramadan? by deols(f): 11:36am On Jul 08, 2013
zayhal: For sahur, mostly swallows. Iftar, plenty of fruits and water, then regular meals like rice, beans, yam and eggs/stew etc. Pap and akara goes in-between. Most times, by the time I'm done taking pap and akara and loads of fruits, I don't get to eat the main meals again.

Don't know if this only happens with people around me or in my environment, there's usually this mad rush for food, to stock up the house in prep for Ramadhan. I then wonder, it's fasting period. Isn't this the time we should be less bothered about stocking up? I discussed this with someone today and his response was that he likes to stock up in prep for Ramadhan because he wants to remove the stress of going to the markets in Ramadhan, that more time is needed for Ibaadah. Well, I'd like to hear/read other opinions.

Hope I'm not derailing @deols

No. You are not derailing at all. Your post makes a part of the 'more' that we can discuss.

I agree with that person about stocking the house with food. It makes cooking easier and gives you more time for ibadah.

I make stews and refrigerate and just warm even on normal days.

We should discourage doing too much of cooking during the Ramadan period if it would distract from other forms of ibadah.
Re: What/How Do You Eat in Ramadan? by deols(f): 11:41am On Jul 08, 2013
golpen: Hmmm...grin

I think fasting is easier with this type of cool weather, unlike in the hot ones when you'll get dehydrated. Anyway, I'm not mostly into food things during ramadan (but don't try me on normal days grin), so I prefer the light meals for sahur mostly, and fatur may require little heavy meals. Fruits and milk is highly preferred by me for iftar, followed by the real meal. May Allah accept it as an act of ibadah.

The 'cool' weather depends on where you are. But a cool weather anywhere is a good thing.

I also notice that oranges(which is the main fruit eaten in Ramadan in the south west) come out during Ramadan.

Is this some form of miracle to make Ramadan easier for us? I want to believe it is. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: What/How Do You Eat in Ramadan? by tbaba1234: 11:54am On Jul 08, 2013
Ramadan moves so the fruit changes as season changes. Any fruit is a miracle

Sahur is hard for me but I use the hadith of the messenger SAW to motivate myself.

Iftar is much more fun. grin

1 Like

Re: What/How Do You Eat in Ramadan? by deols(f): 11:59am On Jul 08, 2013
tbaba1234: Ramadan moves so the fruit changes as season changes. Any fruit is a miracle

Sahur is hard for me but I use the hadith of the messenger SAW to motivate myself.

Iftar is much more fun. grin

That ramadan moves is why it seems like a miracle. Since I was a kid, orange has always made ramadan.

We even say in my house, when we see orange trees bearing fruits that oops! Ramadan is on the way.

1 Like

Re: What/How Do You Eat in Ramadan? by Sissie(f): 12:57pm On Jul 08, 2013
For sahur, tea or cereals or something light. I still cook thou for the family
For iftar it's so much fun, I get my chefmode mood, LOL.
I really like cooking and I cook different meals and try new recipes and it's so much fun, fruits, akamu/ogi, chips, egg and plaintain is constant, then I make the main meal, and it doesn't distract me from doing ibadah, it's all about timetable.
I just believe part of fasting is the iftar, as a woman cooking gives you reward too. So in a way it's ibadah.
Some people do pre Ramadan shopping, cause where I live there's a price hike on foodstuffs.

2 Likes

Re: What/How Do You Eat in Ramadan? by Mustay(m): 1:31pm On Jul 08, 2013
Breaking the fast - I always have a date with DATES. Just love dates which is ironic as I never liked them prior to one Hajj returnee who brought some (chocolaty type) from SA. Since then, it's been sweet especially with the hadith of the Prophet a lá breaking fasts with dates wink

After that, it's fruits or/and pap (with lime on top of it) to serve as the fuel to last till after tarawih. Don't like eating to avoid being filled up as this consequently disturbs me during salat.

Since tahajjud is a duty, I tend to eat less at night cos I'd have to wake up. I think it's Sahur I eat well as I tend to have headaches if I don't eat well.

Outside Ramadan, foods like Eba, Amala etc are odd but during Ramadan, they pop in occasionally. Anyway, I have relations who find it difficult to eat Sahur; garri, tea or cereals is enough for them undecided

1 Like

Re: What/How Do You Eat in Ramadan? by ponana(m): 4:19pm On Jul 08, 2013
For a bachelor like moi, noodles and bread do the trick for sahur and ogi with moin-moin or fried meat for iftar

1 Like

Re: What/How Do You Eat in Ramadan? by deols(f): 4:38pm On Jul 08, 2013
wow. Interesting responses.

There is No excuse to not eat sahur. In fact the sahur is one of the pillars of fasting and people should try their best to eat it.

I have realised that most of the people who find sahur hard to take, end up with cereals;corn flakes, coco pops, etc.

I'd like to find the hadith on the best time for sahur to be eaten. Anyone who knows it should post please.

It says the time between the eating of sahur and the adhan al fajr is the time it takes for 50 ayats(verses of the qur'an) to be recited.
Re: What/How Do You Eat in Ramadan? by deols(f): 4:38pm On Jul 08, 2013
ponana: For a bachelor like moi, noodles and bread do the trick for sahur and ogi with moin-moin or fried meat for iftar

do you find the cooking of moin moin easy as a bachelor?
Re: What/How Do You Eat in Ramadan? by Nobody: 6:02pm On Jul 08, 2013
For as long as I have known my dad, he takes a bottle of coke with one egg everyday for Sahur.
I can't try that one sha but I don't eat much eida. Bread or moin moin. Never swallows.
Re: What/How Do You Eat in Ramadan? by deols(f): 6:31pm On Jul 08, 2013
annoymous: For as long as I have known my dad, he takes a bottle of coke with one egg everyday for Sahur.
I can't try that one sha but I don't eat much eida. Bread or moin moin. Never swallows.

Did you ask him why?

coke has a large sugar(carbohydrate) content- about six cubes. But that doesnt seem like providing as much callories as would, say, a plate of rice.

The egg is alright to go with it as a source.of protein, save the cholesterol.

He may as well be one of those who'v successfully found alternatives to eating heavy at sahur period.
Re: What/How Do You Eat in Ramadan? by golpen(m): 7:47pm On Jul 08, 2013
deols:

The 'cool' weather depends on where you are. But a cool weather anywhere is a good thing.

I also notice that oranges(which is the main fruit eaten in Ramadan in the south west) comes out during Ramadan.

Is this some form of miracle to make Ramadan easier for us? I want to believe it is. cheesy

I'm not so sure we have the hot weather at many places around the world this time.

Oranges is no doubt a favourite around here and I've also pondered on the annual miraculous coincidence. But I've not been seeing the balls lately anyway. grin
Re: What/How Do You Eat in Ramadan? by deols(f): 7:54pm On Jul 08, 2013
golpen:

I'm not so sure we have the hot weather at many places around the world this time.

Oranges is no doubt a favourite around here and I've also pondered on the annual miraculous coincidence. But I've not been seeing the balls lately anyway. grin

I saw plenty o. You need to go out tomorrow and especially if tomorrow is the first of Ramadan to confirm.

Talking hot whether, you need to ask people in the middle east and North/East Africa.
Re: What/How Do You Eat in Ramadan? by golpen(m): 9:22pm On Jul 08, 2013
deols:

I saw plenty o. You need to go out tomorrow and especially if tomorrow is the first of Ramadan to confirm.

Talking hot whether, you need to ask people in the middle east and North/East Africa.

A brother who just arrived from egypt some days ago marvelled at the heat over der o!!! May Allah help them and make it easy for us all.
Re: What/How Do You Eat in Ramadan? by deols(f): 4:59pm On Jul 10, 2013
The prayer to be said While breaking the fast.

*please add the other etiquettes of breaking the fast that you know of.

1 Like

Re: What/How Do You Eat in Ramadan? by siddiq202(m): 6:59pm On Jul 10, 2013
Allahumma! Laka sumtu wa `alâ rizqiqa aftartu. “O Allah! For you I have fasted, and with what You give me I break my fast.”

Allahumma! Laka sumnâ wa `alâ rizqiqa aftarnâ, fa-taqabbal minnâ. Innaka antal-samî` al-`alîm.
“O Allah! For you we have fasted, and with what You give us, we break my fast, so accept it from us. Indeed, You are the one who hears, who knows.”

2 Likes

Re: What/How Do You Eat in Ramadan? by siddiq202(m): 10:59pm On Jul 10, 2013
Let me respond to the original post.

I like eating food that will make my stomach to be filled up for sahur. So when you see me with enough swallow e.g semo/eba/amala during sahur there is no cause for alarm, everything is under control. It amazes me that most people don't like to eat anything for sahur.

As for Iftar, if there are no dates, I drink water, eat fruits that are available before bombarding (most times) rice. Gone are the days when man drink ogi + akara/moi moi before eating the real food #NoTime
Re: What/How Do You Eat in Ramadan? by Nobody: 6:41pm On Jul 28, 2013
Prayer b4 breakin

Zahaba zama'u wa bi thalati uruqu wathabatal hajru insha Allah
The thirsts are gone and d veins are quenched,May it be accepted 4rm us if Allah wills.

D prophet Muhammad (S.A.W) encourages prayin while breakin fast as it is one of d times du'a s answered. May Allah make it easy 4 us

1 Like

Re: What/How Do You Eat in Ramadan? by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jul 28, 2013
As for wetin man pikin dey chop

Ramadan s not an eatin contest buh rather it shuld be made healthy and spiritual. By not over eating,one will be able to stand up n pray Isha'i n taraweeh then if possible nafil n d night.

As for me,I do eat swallow during sahur not bcz i like it buh bcz d@s what my dad luvs eatin so we all will join n d eatin...

During Iftar,i prefer breakin with dates cos d prophet Muhammad(S.A.W) says it's d bst 4 breakin followed by water and then fruits(if I no c dates,will take any1 d@ is availablewink),go pray maghrib den come 4 d main dish either rice,spag,moi-moi and d likes of it,after that Subhanaka till sahur againsmileycheesysmiley
Re: What/How Do You Eat in Ramadan? by sexkillzisacunt: 11:27pm On Jul 28, 2013
I eat as much as I can during Ramadan.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Does Islam Say About Given Alms Or Sadaqa To The Pagans? / Fasting on the day of Arafah and ruling when it falls on Saturday / Contacting TV Shows Of Practitioners Of Witchcraft And Sorcery To Ask For Ruqya

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.