Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,550 members, 7,823,417 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:54 AM

ASUU Has Not Called-off The Strike - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Has Not Called-off The Strike (17657 Views)

ASUU Has Been Unfair To The Nigerian Students- Obasi / Has ASUU Strike Been Called Off? / When Is ASUU Calling Off The Strike? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Has Not Called-off The Strike by emmatony: 9:22pm On Jul 07, 2013
BY DAYO ADESULU & IKENNA ASOMBA
Following the indefinite strike embarked by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), last Monday, the union, Sunday, disclosed that it will not suspend the industrial action, unless the Federal Government accedes to the agreement it reached with it in 2009. This is even as the union debunked reports on some social and online media that it has suspended its one-week old strike.

Speaking with Vanguard, ASUU Chairman, University of Lagos (UNILAG), Chapter, Dr. Karo Ogbinaka said: “The strike is still ongoing. We have not suspended or called-off the strike. Perhaps, before we do that, a National Executive Council (NEC) meeting must be held, then, the resolutions of the meeting will be made known to all chapters of the union,” adding, “The indefinite and total strike will continue, except government meets our demands.”
Meanwhile, FG through its Ministry of Education led by Prof. Ruqayyatu Rufain will Monday, meet with stakeholders in the industry, which included Vice Chancellors of Federal universities and their Governing Councils, together with interested Vice Chancellors of State and Private universities.
However, at the time of filing this report, full details of agenda for the meeting was not made known. It would recalled that the union had last Monday, called out its members on an indefinite industrial action over what it termed government’s failure to honour the Academic Earned Allowance (AEA) which formed a component of the 2009 agreement the government signed with the union.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/07/we-have-not-called-off-strike-ASUU/
Re: ASUU Has Not Called-off The Strike by ULSHERLAN(m): 9:39pm On Jul 07, 2013
Imagine this statement 'the fg will meet with the vc of federal universities together with INTERESTED state and private uni vc's' meaning state and private uni shudnt be a part of this action. Smh for state uni's cos I wanna believe their state govt should be responsible for whatever happens in their uni.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Has Not Called-off The Strike by readonenaire(m): 9:00am On Jul 08, 2013
na dem sabi
Re: ASUU Has Not Called-off The Strike by kayultimate(m): 9:01am On Jul 08, 2013
FG and dere tricks
Re: ASUU Has Not Called-off The Strike by AGgal(f): 9:01am On Jul 08, 2013
Okay.
Re: ASUU Has Not Called-off The Strike by delpharm(m): 9:01am On Jul 08, 2013
Baba God intervain
Re: ASUU Has Not Called-off The Strike by Nobody: 9:02am On Jul 08, 2013
Stup▓d People
Re: ASUU Has Not Called-off The Strike by Nobody: 9:03am On Jul 08, 2013
Stup▓d People..
Re: ASUU Has Not Called-off The Strike by gabinogem(m): 9:03am On Jul 08, 2013
We shall survive, no matter how deplorable our situation is.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Has Not Called-off The Strike by siraj1402(m): 9:05am On Jul 08, 2013
Thank God its Monday.Hope I bi 2nd to comment sha. grin
Re: ASUU Has Not Called-off The Strike by Onwe101(m): 9:06am On Jul 08, 2013
ASUU na wa oooo
Re: ASUU Has Not Called-off The Strike by PIPPROF(m): 9:08am On Jul 08, 2013
siraj1402: Thank God its Monday.Hope I bi 2nd to comment sha. grin

stop using reltel undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: ASUU Has Not Called-off The Strike by highlandre(m): 9:09am On Jul 08, 2013
ULSHERLAN: Imagine this statement 'the fg will meet with the vc of federal universities together with INTERESTED state and private uni vc's' meaning state and private uni shudnt be a part of this action. Smh for state uni's cos I wanna believe their state govt should be responsible for whatever happens in their uni.

Why should state unis be involved in this ASUU strike? ASUU chapters at state universitites should not unduly subject students to this selfish strike as the breach of agreement between FG and federal varsities has no direct impact on state universities' lecturers
Re: ASUU Has Not Called-off The Strike by Aedesmuskeeto: 9:11am On Jul 08, 2013
delpharm: Baba God intervain
na INTERVENE. Ahn ahn, Haba!!!

1 Like

Re: ASUU Has Not Called-off The Strike by brosun(m): 9:12am On Jul 08, 2013
But what still baffles me is why a government would freely enter into an agreement and at the end fail to honour it. Doesn't smack of responsibility at all! That this is not the first time it is happening simply annoys me! For how long shall we continue to toy with the future of our youths in such recklessly irresponsible manner?

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Has Not Called-off The Strike by dedarkman(m): 9:19am On Jul 08, 2013
We all just have to sit and wait for the outcome of today's meeting
Re: ASUU Has Not Called-off The Strike by Nobody: 9:22am On Jul 08, 2013
ASUU has finally beaten messi and c.ronaldo as the body that STRIKES thr most...they strike with reckless abandon leaving jobless youths in their wake..smh

every year, new strike.. Ike kontiri a agwula mu
Re: ASUU Has Not Called-off The Strike by DEGREE2466(m): 9:22am On Jul 08, 2013
my own is if ASUU want to call off the strike let them be fast about it or wait for three months so that i can enjoy my holiday wella well because i dont want cut and join hoildays

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Has Not Called-off The Strike by Sike(m): 9:23am On Jul 08, 2013
Very Good.
Re: ASUU Has Not Called-off The Strike by Tinoxky: 9:23am On Jul 08, 2013
ASUU strike or no ASUU strike, I Can't be boardered, am The Boss!
Re: ASUU Has Not Called-off The Strike by ayusco85(m): 9:26am On Jul 08, 2013
Let's just pray and hope for a good outcome in today's meeting.

Re: ASUU Has Not Called-off The Strike by Lordave: 9:30am On Jul 08, 2013
ASSU better call off this strike before ALUU gets angry.
Re: ASUU Has Not Called-off The Strike by ojubi(m): 9:30am On Jul 08, 2013
But what still baffles me is why a government would freely enter into an agreement and at the end fail to honour it. Doesn't smack of responsibility at all! That this is not the first time it is happening simply annoys me! For how long shall we continue to toy with the future of our youths in such recklessly irresponsible manner?

ASSU made the said agreement and forced government to sign it through strike during YARADUA'S tenure. It is crazy asking for a whooping 93Billion yearly allowance. The moment the FG approve it the states uni will ask for same and Students will be the once to pay for ASSU greed.
Re: ASUU Has Not Called-off The Strike by Nobody: 9:39am On Jul 08, 2013
brosun: But what still baffles me is why a government would freely enter into an agreement and at the end fail to honour it. Doesn't smack of responsibility at all! That this is not the first time it is happening simply annoys me! For how long shall we continue to toy with the future of our youths in such recklessly irresponsible manner?
Dats d problem wit Nigerian leaders,dey ain't truthful.
Re: ASUU Has Not Called-off The Strike by brosun(m): 9:40am On Jul 08, 2013
highlandre:

Why should state unis be involved in this ASUU strike? ASUU chapters at state universitites should not unduly subject students to this selfish strike as the breach of agreement between FG and federal varsities has no direct impact on state universities' lecturers
You're the one who is trying to be selfish and ignorant here! State universities are part of the Nigerian university system. They are regulated by the same National Universities Commission, and they are part of ASUU. The strike is also their strike, just as a degree earned from a state university is equivalent to a degree earned in a federal university. You're therefore wrong in assuming that this is a battle between "FG" and "federal varsities", and that the breach of agreement will not impact on state owned universities. In Nigeria, we have ONLY ONE university system, whether the university is owned by the state or by the federal government. In electing to renege on an agreement it freely entered into with ASUU, it is the FG that should be held accountable, not the expectations of university lecturers, whether you consider them to be selfish or not!
Re: ASUU Has Not Called-off The Strike by AbuMikey(m): 9:55am On Jul 08, 2013
The Height of it all!!
Re: ASUU Has Not Called-off The Strike by LEXYCOM: 9:56am On Jul 08, 2013
I beg make the strike continue.....I need break.
Re: ASUU Has Not Called-off The Strike by Nobody: 9:59am On Jul 08, 2013
brosun: You're the one who is trying to be selfish and ignorant here! State universities are part of the Nigerian university system. They are regulated by the same National Universities Commission, and they are part of ASUU. The strike is also their strike, just as a degree earned from a state university is equivalent to a degree earned in a federal university. You're therefore wrong in assuming that this is a battle between "FG" and "federal varsities", and that the breach of agreement will not impact on state owned universities. In Nigeria, we have ONLY ONE university system, whether the university is owned by the state or by the federal government. In electing to renege on an agreement it freely entered into with ASUU, it is the FG that should be held accountable, not the expectations of university lecturers, whether you consider them to be selfish or not!

then who regulate the private uni? Another commission abi? There cert isn't B.Sc abi
Re: ASUU Has Not Called-off The Strike by brosun(m): 9:59am On Jul 08, 2013
ASSU made the said agreement and forced government to sign it through strike during YARADUA'S tenure. It is crazy asking for a whooping 93Billion yearly allowance. The moment the FG approve it the states uni will ask for same and Students will be the once to pay for ASSU greed.[/quote] I'm glad you said 'ASSU' and not 'ASUU', because the ASUU I know did not make any agreement and "forced" a whole federal government to sign it! But you've introduced an innovation though: that it is possible to make an agreement and "force" the federal govt to sign it. Quite soon I should form a union and force the federal government to sign all the oil fields of Bayelsa to me! You clearly don't know the issues at stake.I recommend you go and do a catch up. Thank God it is 'ASSU' that is asking for "a whooping 93 billion yearly allowance" and not ASUU!

1 Like

Re: ASUU Has Not Called-off The Strike by modela07: 10:00am On Jul 08, 2013
ASUU wan turn Nations cup...Evry 2,2 yrs.Wch level.
Re: ASUU Has Not Called-off The Strike by brosun(m): 10:03am On Jul 08, 2013
Today's meeting is already doomed to fail. Read my lips.it will be all jaw jaw and nothing will come out. FG just wants to tell the Nigerian public that it is "on top of the situation" of the ASUU strike.
Re: ASUU Has Not Called-off The Strike by Agrika: 10:13am On Jul 08, 2013
..sincerely, it doesnt bother me any longer, at level 500 plus 1 year remedial sciences, i have seen it all, whatever steps they decide upon they should follow..i no fit kill myself

(1) (2) (Reply)

JAMB Lists 16 Prohibited Items For Candidates As UTME Kicks Off On Friday (full / Chinasa Ufodu, Overall Best Graduating Student University Of Nigeria Nsukka / As A Student - 7 Factors To Consider If You Want To Stay Off Campus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.