Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,141 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:03 AM

Kingmakers To Select New Obong Of Calabar - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Kingmakers To Select New Obong Of Calabar (4317 Views)

The Magic Of Calabar And Their Women / Pictures Of Calabar Carnival / Fattening Rooms Of Calabar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kingmakers To Select New Obong Of Calabar by Wisdytech(m): 8:19am On Jul 08, 2013
From JUDEX OKORO, Calabar

Barely one week after the Appeal Court nullified the selection processes of the Obong of Calabar, the Etubom Traditional Council of Obong of Calabar is set to elect another Efik king.

Penultimate week, the Court of Appeal sitting in Calabar and presided over by Justice Mohammed Lawal Garba, nullified the selection process of the former Obong of Calabar, Edidem Ekpo Okon Abasi Otu V and disqualified Etubom Anthony Ani, the former minister of Finance in the late Abacha military regime, from contesting for the throne.

Investigations by Daily Sun revealed that at the weekend, the kingmakers (mostly the Etuboms) and some prominent Efik personalities were at the palace of the Obong located along Effanga Ansa Street, Henshaw town, Calabar, holding series of meetings and consultations on how to elect a new monarch without rancour.

The kingmakers, it was gathered, though not happy at the way and manner their revered traditional stool was dragged before the court, have resolved to work in harmony to choose a new “Treaty King and Grand Patriarch of the Efik Nation.”

Sources close to the palace revealed that the kingmakers were in serious deliberations and are expected to make a pronouncement on the proclamation of the Obong of Calabar shortly in line with the ruling of the Court of Appeal.

Members of one of the oldest traditional institutions in the country were said to have reached out to all families in the kingdom sensitising them on the need to speak with one voice this time as well as contribute positively towards re-building the stool and enthroning a credible person that would protect the institution.

Article 5(a) (ii) (iv) of the constitution, bestows on the Etuboms’ conclave of the Palace of the Obong of Calabar, the power and the right to carry out selection processes that would culminate in the emergence of a new Obong.

One of the Etuboms, who pleaded anonymity told Daily Sun that they would not waste time in the selection process as the court had already spelt out who is qualified to contest for the coveted throne.

The Etubom, who is a diehard supporter of the immediate-past Obong, Ekpo Okon Abasi Otu V said, “within the week, a new Obong will be announced,” and that it would be final because efforts were being made to reach out to all aggrieved persons and families. With this ruling, the position of the incumbent Obong of Calabar appears to have been further consolidated as he is the only challenger.

“For us, the Appeal Court ruling has simplified the matter with regard to those Etuboms who are qualified to contest and the selection processes involved. All we are doing right now is to hold some meetings and clink glasses to the landmark judgment that brought honour and respect back to our kingdom.

“We will not be deterred in electing our monarch, no matter the litigations we have been subjected to. We still believe that this is the time for all Efik sons and daughters to be united to restore the past glory of the Efiks,” he stated. SOURCE: http://www.sunnewsonline.com/new/cover/kingmakers-set-to-select-new-obong-of-calabar/

Re: Kingmakers To Select New Obong Of Calabar by Kzinne: 9:53am On Jul 09, 2013
op. an obong has already been chosen. are u ok?
Re: Kingmakers To Select New Obong Of Calabar by Nobody: 9:53am On Jul 09, 2013
2nd to comment
Re: Kingmakers To Select New Obong Of Calabar by 9jawikileaks(m): 9:53am On Jul 09, 2013
Dey should come and select me na.... I will be a Good Obong

3rd 2 comment
With gratitude in ma heart I will want 2 thnk a family and all dat av been der 4 me in one way or d oda fueling dz wondaful thing dat I av accomplishd. Most of all to ASUU who gave us d chance 2 sit at home and b idle, + God bless d 1st n 2nd peeps dat commented, God shall make us bigger...

3 Likes

Re: Kingmakers To Select New Obong Of Calabar by kingarizona(m): 9:53am On Jul 09, 2013
I just dey laugh... Abeg mak una tell me wetin I be?
Re: Kingmakers To Select New Obong Of Calabar by ibkgab001: 9:53am On Jul 09, 2013
3rd
Re: Kingmakers To Select New Obong Of Calabar by Nobody: 9:54am On Jul 09, 2013
Kzinne: op. a obong has already been chosen. are u ok?

An Obong not a obong
Re: Kingmakers To Select New Obong Of Calabar by skyluv2000(m): 9:55am On Jul 09, 2013
This kind of obong selection, wil not end up like NGF elections.
Re: Kingmakers To Select New Obong Of Calabar by Burntcoal(f): 9:55am On Jul 09, 2013
Wisdytech: From JUDEX OKORO, Calabar

Barely one week after the Appeal Court nullified the selection processes of the Obong of Calabar, the Etubom Traditional Council of Obong of Calabar is set to elect another Efik king.

Penultimate week, the Court of Appeal sitting in Calabar and presided over by Justice Mohammed Lawal Garba, nullified the selection process of the former Obong of Calabar, Edidem Ekpo Okon Abasi Otu V and disqualified Etubom Anthony Ani, the former minister of Finance in the late Abacha military regime, from contesting for the throne.

Investigations by Daily Sun revealed that at the weekend, the kingmakers (mostly the Etuboms) and some prominent Efik personalities were at the palace of the Obong located along Effanga Ansa Street, Henshaw town, Calabar, holding series of meetings and consultations on how to elect a new monarch without rancour.

The kingmakers, it was gathered, though not happy at the way and manner their revered traditional stool was dragged before the court, have resolved to work in harmony to choose a new “Treaty King and Grand Patriarch of the Efik Nation.”

Sources close to the palace revealed that the kingmakers were in serious deliberations and are expected to make a pronouncement on the proclamation of the Obong of Calabar shortly in line with the ruling of the Court of Appeal.

Members of one of the oldest traditional institutions in the country were said to have reached out to all families in the kingdom sensitising them on the need to speak with one voice this time as well as contribute positively towards re-building the stool and enthroning a credible person that would protect the institution.

Article 5(a) (ii) (iv) of the constitution, bestows on the Etuboms’ conclave of the Palace of the Obong of Calabar, the power and the right to carry out selection processes that would culminate in the emergence of a new Obong.

One of the Etuboms, who pleaded anonymity told Daily Sun that they would not waste time in the selection process as the court had already spelt out who is qualified to contest for the coveted throne.

The Etubom, who is a diehard supporter of the immediate-past Obong, Ekpo Okon Abasi Otu V said, “within the week, a new Obong will be announced,” and that it would be final because efforts were being made to reach out to all aggrieved persons and families. With this ruling, the position of the incumbent Obong of Calabar appears to have been further consolidated as he is the only challenger.

“For us, the Appeal Court ruling has simplified the matter with regard to those Etuboms who are qualified to contest and the selection processes involved. All we are doing right now is to hold some meetings and clink glasses to the landmark judgment that brought honour and respect back to our kingdom.

“We will not be deterred in electing our monarch, no matter the litigations we have been subjected to. We still believe that this is the time for all Efik sons and daughters to be united to restore the past glory of the Efiks,” he stated. SOURCE: http://www.sunnewsonline.com/new/cover/kingmakers-set-to-select-new-obong-of-calabar/
naxo
Re: Kingmakers To Select New Obong Of Calabar by christ4mi(f): 9:56am On Jul 09, 2013
It only in the south, that a court can dethrone a King. While in the North, even the Chief Justice kneel before a king. SMFH

2 Likes

Re: Kingmakers To Select New Obong Of Calabar by Kzinne: 10:01am On Jul 09, 2013
sanniemoe:

An Obong not a obong
Re: Kingmakers To Select New Obong Of Calabar by Nobody: 10:05am On Jul 09, 2013
Kzinne: mister are u trying to correct me? u must b joking.

Lol.
YES
As a matter of fact,I corrected U
Re: Kingmakers To Select New Obong Of Calabar by Temismith(f): 10:06am On Jul 09, 2013
Ok!
Re: Kingmakers To Select New Obong Of Calabar by NoContract(m): 10:07am On Jul 09, 2013
Re: Kingmakers To Select New Obong Of Calabar by ITbomb(m): 10:15am On Jul 09, 2013
I think the selection has already been done yesterday.
Let me wait till when I get a good source before I drop the name.
Nairalanders too like source
Re: Kingmakers To Select New Obong Of Calabar by Nobody: 10:16am On Jul 09, 2013
Imoke, Ami ke tie tie mbed fi. Ami ndi Obong oro
Re: Kingmakers To Select New Obong Of Calabar by Nobody: 10:16am On Jul 09, 2013
When the court intervenes in a traditional matter as kingship sad sad angry angry angry angry
Re: Kingmakers To Select New Obong Of Calabar by demelza: 10:20am On Jul 09, 2013
Rubbish! This is reminiscent of the colonial era when the then Masters could dethrone a traditional ruler at will.
Thank God for stools like the Oba of Benin.
Re: Kingmakers To Select New Obong Of Calabar by Wisdytech(m): 10:33am On Jul 09, 2013
NoContract:
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: Kingmakers To Select New Obong Of Calabar by ITbomb(m): 10:41am On Jul 09, 2013
gboss4sure: When the court intervenes in a traditional matter as kingship sad sad angry angry angry angry
The kingship has a constitution, the court was called in to interpret the the procedure.
In other words, the court used the Obong article to judge the matter not civil law.

1 Like

Re: Kingmakers To Select New Obong Of Calabar by Wisdytech(m): 10:44am On Jul 09, 2013
christ4mi: It only in the south, that a court can dethrone a King. While in the North, even the Chief Justice kneel before a king. SMFH
abi?
Re: Kingmakers To Select New Obong Of Calabar by Mayor21(m): 11:00am On Jul 09, 2013
king arizona: I just dey laugh... Abeg mak una tell me wetin I be?
u b king of monkiez
Re: Kingmakers To Select New Obong Of Calabar by Sitex(m): 11:15am On Jul 09, 2013
politics and chivalrous rivalry has nw permeated our traditional institutions...what happened to the agelong tradition for selecting the obong
SHAME
Re: Kingmakers To Select New Obong Of Calabar by Knight2(m): 11:15am On Jul 09, 2013
For Bini OmO n Oba nor dey go transfer.......ororo nor dey fade...
Re: Kingmakers To Select New Obong Of Calabar by Nobody: 11:39am On Jul 09, 2013
Burntcoal: naxo
i can't believe you quoted the whole post just to say rubbish.

The court ruling makes no sense in as much as the incumbent Obong is stil eligible to contest.

Whats the essence of a court to disqualify a gubernatorial election an ask 4 a rerun only for the same Governor that was kick out of office to participate in the rerun and stil win.

2 Likes

Re: Kingmakers To Select New Obong Of Calabar by Nobody: 12:00pm On Jul 09, 2013
The dethroned Obong was the one re-elected. Stale news though.
Re: Kingmakers To Select New Obong Of Calabar by OmerianConsult: 12:34pm On Jul 09, 2013
Power brokerage going on!
Re: Kingmakers To Select New Obong Of Calabar by zeben(m): 7:09pm On Jul 09, 2013
ibkgab001: 3rd
hmm

(1) (Reply)

Snake Na Oyibo Culture / Why U Must Visit OGBA ZOO @benin City (photos) / Igbo Folklore And Mythology (A Moonlight Story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.