Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,722 members, 7,820,507 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:11 PM

Fattening Rooms Of Calabar - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Fattening Rooms Of Calabar (8565 Views)

The Fattening Rooms Of The Efik / The Magic Of Calabar And Their Women / Pictures Of Calabar Carnival (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fattening Rooms Of Calabar by DisGuy: 10:11pm On Jul 19, 2007
In Nigeria, the rich can pay for special "fattening rooms" to put on extra weight.
BBC World Service's Outlook programme spoke to a couple who opted for such a service before their wedding.

"In the morning you eat fine," says Happiness Edem, recalling her time in the fattening room in the Nigerian city of Calabar.
"After eating you can take a bath. From there you can sleep, you sleep fine, you wake up, you eat, you sleep."

Happiness attended the fattening centre for a total of six months, at the request of her husband, Morris Eyo Edem, leading up to their wedding.
By the time she had come out, her body shape had changed completely - to the delight of her husband.

Fattening culture

The average weight of a Nigerian woman is 60kg - but Happiness is well over twice that.

As a prince, Mr Edem requires a particularly large wife, and adds that a slim wife would have no appeal for him.

Happiness maintains her weight through garri
"I don't think I will ever even do that," he says.
"People will think I am not rich, If a woman is not fat and has not gone through that process she does not qualify for marriage."

After she had been fattened up, he continued to maintain her weight through feeding her up on garri, a sort of porridge made from cassava tubers, and native salads, known as Ekpan Koko and Oto.

"I add rice and beans and more meat and fish to make her more huge and big to maintain the stature you want your woman to be," he adds.

And the Prince and his wife, who belong to the Efik tribe, certainly see no reason to change.

"When you are fat, it makes you look healthy," says Happiness.
"People respect you. People honour you. Wherever you go, they say, 'your husband feed you fine.
"If you go to a village, people can come out to look at you, because you are healthy."

Despite the risks of heart disease, diabetes and other health problems associated with being overweight, Happiness says she has had no problems as a result of her stature.

"It is all about cultures," says her husband.
"The culture here in our area permits women to go into fattening room. But the culture in Europe and other Asian or American does not."

1 Like

Re: Fattening Rooms Of Calabar by DisGuy: 10:12pm On Jul 19, 2007
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/6904640.stm

abeg when them start this kin thing? sad

1 Like

Re: Fattening Rooms Of Calabar by ikamefa(f): 10:13pm On Jul 19, 2007
e don tey ! " grin "

in fact its part of their culture cheesy

1 Like

Re: Fattening Rooms Of Calabar by finemocha(f): 11:16pm On Jul 19, 2007
bull shit

when she is 50 and has diabetes adn heart disease, then she will know what is up

1 Like

Re: Fattening Rooms Of Calabar by laudate: 7:00pm On Jul 20, 2007
Going to the Fattening room is optional. It is NOT compulsory. It is a practice that is fast dying out. Am sure in the next five years, most people would have forgotten that such a thing existed.

1 Like

Re: Fattening Rooms Of Calabar by DisGuy: 8:15pm On Jul 20, 2007
No one said it was compulsory. and did you say it was dying out?
Re: Fattening Rooms Of Calabar by laudate: 12:09pm On Jul 23, 2007
Dis Guy:

No one said it was compulsory. and did you say it was dying out?

Yup!
Re: Fattening Rooms Of Calabar by redsun(m): 8:22am On Jul 25, 2007
One man's meat is another's poison.Come to think of it,fat is horrible for health reasons,it affects the workings of the organs in the body and you are prone to diseases like diabetes,high blood pressure etc but like i said earlier on,it is a choice thing based on mind sets,evolution,we will get there.
Re: Fattening Rooms Of Calabar by Nobody: 9:05am On Jul 25, 2007
Mikel X:

1998 Mitsibushi Lancer GLX. Excellent condition, Factory fitted air conditioning, Sony am/fm stereo, 6 CD changer, Sony explode speeakers, light tints on windows and rear windshield, electric windows, lighted rear wing, ample boot space + light, meticulously manitained and serviced regularly. Pictures attached. price: N450K, negotiable. available for inspection. If interested please contact 08023384183 or 08067609885, only serious buyers.

Wrong location though.
Re: Fattening Rooms Of Calabar by Nobody: 12:48pm On Jul 25, 2007
Fattening rooms? I gotta get me one of those, with the candidates included of course!!!! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Fattening Rooms Of Calabar by MikelX(m): 1:18pm On Jul 25, 2007
Oops!!! How did that get in there shocked, Really sorry y'all
Re: Fattening Rooms Of Calabar by desgiezd(m): 1:42pm On Jul 25, 2007
wavemasta:

Fattening rooms? I gotta get me one of those, with the candidates included of course!!!! grin grin grin grin grin

I bet, u'll come out of there slimmer. LOL
Re: Fattening Rooms Of Calabar by Ndipe(m): 9:50pm On Jul 25, 2007
It is a dying culture, but nevertheless still thriving in certain parts of the Cross River/Akwa Ibom area.
Re: Fattening Rooms Of Calabar by fesse(f): 3:22pm On Jul 28, 2007
culture my ass. it is olding days thing.
Re: Fattening Rooms Of Calabar by osereka(m): 9:44pm On Jul 28, 2007
real men love big ladies
Re: Fattening Rooms Of Calabar by Nobody: 2:36pm On Jul 29, 2007
@osereka, Yes yes you know the koko!!!!
Re: Fattening Rooms Of Calabar by simmy(m): 3:45pm On Aug 01, 2007
osereka:

real men love big ladies

omo head on,  unlike those freakingly disgustinstickthin models u see on catwalks on tv. Nigeria chics suddenly have a desire to  be thin too,  tongue tongue tongue tongue##@$#^#^%$%^$!!!!

corpulence is sexy!
Re: Fattening Rooms Of Calabar by ThoniaSlim(f): 6:06pm On Aug 01, 2007
@topic

its a culture diminishing. and its never been compulsory to enter the fattening room.
Re: Fattening Rooms Of Calabar by Mystique(f): 1:50pm On Aug 02, 2007
Well, i never thot the 'fattening room' thing still existed in this modern day of heart diseases and obesity. . . . sad
Re: Fattening Rooms Of Calabar by Dijoka(m): 6:59pm On Aug 02, 2007
hey hey this tin dey happen 4 Naija here? Little wonder Calabar women r so fat grin
Re: Fattening Rooms Of Calabar by touche(m): 3:47pm On Aug 03, 2007
1 man's meat is anoda man's poison. sum lyk their women orobo', while sum like em lepa'. wink
Re: Fattening Rooms Of Calabar by grafikdon: 6:21pm On Aug 03, 2007
This is not something new. A vast MAJORITY of Naija men prefer women with some meat, and before you jump on me, I didn't say 'fat', I simply said 'meat'. You can argue all you want but it is a fact. cheesy
Re: Fattening Rooms Of Calabar by grafikdon: 7:09pm On Aug 03, 2007
I put meat on quote. . . it simply means (My own definition) somebody with some flesh, not Muscle bound woman. Yes, I like women like Serena Williams.
Re: Fattening Rooms Of Calabar by nossycheek(f): 5:00pm On Aug 14, 2007
I wish they have a defattening room. I needdddddddddddddddd one
Re: Fattening Rooms Of Calabar by Kobojunkie: 3:59pm On Oct 06, 2007
The defattening room has that Taibo dude on the screen telling you to get up and dance the weight off.
Re: Fattening Rooms Of Calabar by fstranger6: 1:15pm On Jan 04, 2011
omg!
Re: Fattening Rooms Of Calabar by PhysicsHD: 12:02pm On Jan 05, 2011
Old news.

Interesting perspective on fatness from this culture. A bridge into the past of all humanity, when plumpness was preferred by all.

Not that I agree with it though.
Re: Fattening Rooms Of Calabar by Odunnu: 2:58pm On Jan 09, 2011
I love the practice
Re: Fattening Rooms Of Calabar by fstranger6: 3:14pm On Jan 09, 2011
^^^

No wonder you are fat too

I like you though.

keep getting fat

I like fat girls!
Re: Fattening Rooms Of Calabar by y3mz1(f): 7:26pm On Dec 29, 2011
reading 'Tiny Sunbirds Far Away' made me come across this tradition shocked
Re: Fattening Rooms Of Calabar by Nobody: 4:00am On Dec 30, 2011
Kobojunkie:

The defattening room has that Taibo dude on the screen telling you to get up and dance the weight off.

Lol.
Re: Fattening Rooms Of Calabar by anonymous6(f): 9:16pm On Dec 30, 2011

(1) (2) (Reply)

African Babes Repping Their Black Skin. / "Mangu Arna" - An Insult To The Cultural Heritage Of Plateau Heritage / Say Ur Native Names And Translate Them

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.