Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,844 members, 7,810,255 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:54 AM

Facebook Begins Charging To Delete Photos - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Facebook Begins Charging To Delete Photos (833 Views)

How To Delete Duplicate Contacts On Android / How To Delete Tweets ? / How To Use Your Laptop Up To 8 Hours Without Charging (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Facebook Begins Charging To Delete Photos by piero2u(m): 12:03pm On Jul 08, 2013
Faced with continued investor skepticism over its long-term business model, Facebook has quietly started testing a new way of generating additional revenue - charging money to delete old photos.

The new settings, which are currently in beta, ask users to pay $5.00 to delete any photo more than 1 year old from their own Facebook profiles, and up to $20.00 to delete photos of themselves on other people's profiles.

Analysts say that Facebook could generate huge revenues from the new photo settings because many users are desperate to hide embarrassing pictures of themselves from family and potential employers.

Topher Anderson, an technology equities analyst at Citigroup says the new charges could single-handedly help Facebook's sagging stock price recover to its IPO level of $40 a share.

"This new photo fee is a stroke of genius," claims Anderson, "We estimate that over 50 million users will use the feature, spending on average $35 a year to delete the most embarrassing pics. The annual boost to Facebook's top line will be well over $1 billion."
A new dialog box will ask users for their credit card information.

A new dialog box will ask users for their credit card information.

Be Undiscovered

UBS investment banker Stephen Todd agrees that the photo fee will add revenue, and also notes that it won't add significantly to Facebook's cost structure.

"They don't have to hire new engineers," Todd explains, "They don't have to develop new features. All they have to do is change one small setting and watch the money roll in. Its pure profit."

Online privacy groups have predictably expressed outrage over the plans, but their objections are expected to be ignored. There is also some concern that the changes could prompt a user backlash, but Todd dismisses that idea outright.

"The brilliance of this charge is that it leverages Facebook's high switching costs and lack of competition," he says, "I mean come on. What are people gonna do about it? Move to Myspace?"

Facebook defends the new charge as a vital component of its new revenue model. One top executive explains that since the IPO and subsequent stock slide, the company now has a new set of priorities:

"We have to monetize where the value is. And there's a lot of value in hiding the mistakes of your past. It would be a violation of our shareholders' trust if we didn't try to squeeze revenue from our users any way we can."

"And if you don't want your grandfather thinking you're a sloppy, drunken slut, then maybe you shouldn't post pictures of yourself deep-Drinking a beer tap or passed out in a football player's crotch in the first place."

The new photo settings are expected to be introduced to all Facebook users sometime in March.

http://dailycurrant.com/2013/01/28/facebook-begins-charging-delete-photos-3/

Re: Facebook Begins Charging To Delete Photos by piero2u(m): 12:09pm On Jul 08, 2013
Better delete those picture you don't need on your profile now it is still free. wink wink
Re: Facebook Begins Charging To Delete Photos by israel007: 12:11pm On Jul 08, 2013
Personally won't pay.
Re: Facebook Begins Charging To Delete Photos by piero2u(m): 12:27pm On Jul 08, 2013
israel007: Personally won't pay.
Pray you don't have any picture in your profile you have to delete. Or your friends don't upload a silly picture of you. grin
Re: Facebook Begins Charging To Delete Photos by Nobody: 1:49pm On Jul 08, 2013
Simply close your FB account....are they paying me to use it in the first place...or do i have to pay to deactivate my own account..?
Re: Facebook Begins Charging To Delete Photos by piero2u(m): 2:06pm On Jul 08, 2013
eddiebruk: Simply close your FB account....are they paying me to use it in the first place...or do i have to pay to deactivate my own account..?

Haba!! closing the account would be overkill na.Don't you know some people are mini-celebrities on facebook with over 4000 friends. How would they close the account over one or two naughty pictures which they can be made to pay to delete.

(1) (Reply)

Possessing The Processor Of Confusion / Apple Is Building World Mighthiest Office First Of Its Kind... Photos / ---- BITX ----

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.