Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,635 members, 7,820,225 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:49 AM

Would/can You Still Go Ahead And Marry Your Spouse, If..........? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Would/can You Still Go Ahead And Marry Your Spouse, If..........? (4732 Views)

Help I Need Advise….should I Go Ahead And Marry Her Or Not? / Is It Wrong To Divorce Your Spouse If S/he Infects You With A STD? / My Husband Now Locks His Phone, Should I Go Ahead And Lock Mine? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would/can You Still Go Ahead And Marry Your Spouse, If..........? by greatgod2012(f): 9:13pm On Jul 08, 2013
TO THE MARRIED........ If, while dating, your partner confessed/opened up/disclosed to you to be infertile, due to one reason or the other, would you still go ahead and marry him/her?

TO THE YET-TO MARRY(THOSE THAT ARE ALREADY DATING)................... If your fiance/fiancee confesses or opens up to you that he/she is infertile, will you still go ahead and marry him/her?

Inasmuch as it is very essential to open up ALL OLD WOUNDS before tying the knot, i still want to believe that it takes a good conscience and strong faith in God with absolute trust in the other person before one can open up such a sensitive secret of one's life, but that does not mean its not necessary, because, if one doesnt, the consequential result might be more destructive than when it has already been dealt with before marriage.

As for me, i really dont know, no doubt i love my hubby, based on me personally, i might still go ahead and marry him, but, will i be able to withstand the pressures of having my own children from parents, the society and other ugly things like rigorous adoption process, the guilt that may probably follow using donor sper m, etc that may later surface in the future of the marriage. Its quite a difficult situation, but, i wish to know, can you?

Yes, we all know that, procreation is not the only reason for marriage, and of course, there are other ways of having one's children like donor sper m and adoption, but, can one really cope with the fact that one is medically and "fertilitically"(lol, if there is that english) alright, but still wont be able to be his/her biological child/ren, because of the other person's fertility problem?
Lets share and learn.
Thanks and God bless.
Re: Would/can You Still Go Ahead And Marry Your Spouse, If..........? by biolabee(m): 9:38pm On Jul 08, 2013
No

only have one shot biblically ie no second wive or allowed to have small wife
except its a second marriage where kids are not a priority

1 Like

Re: Would/can You Still Go Ahead And Marry Your Spouse, If..........? by kreamidiva(f): 9:49pm On Jul 08, 2013
Kai! This is a hard one o.i love my baby o.what will i do..... Ok,since he was bold enuff to tell me,i'll marry him n probably adopt children later.afterall i love him right?
Re: Would/can You Still Go Ahead And Marry Your Spouse, If..........? by Nobody: 12:02am On Jul 09, 2013
I ll marry him but he must let me have kids with donor sperms.Adoption is not for me when I know I can biologically have mine,am not ready to deal with the Unnecessary societal pressures when we can find a way around it.it ll only limit the number of kids I want.
Re: Would/can You Still Go Ahead And Marry Your Spouse, If..........? by Chinwem(f): 12:11am On Jul 09, 2013
Yes smiley
Re: Would/can You Still Go Ahead And Marry Your Spouse, If..........? by Beetle: 12:47am On Jul 09, 2013
@ Great, Yes it's very difficult looking at it from your point of view because you already have kids. I love kids like no man business but I believe in life decisions concerning us was made 50,000 years ago. ( from the muslim point of view). Will I still choose , my husband knowing we have male infertility. I don't know. It's a hard question but I guess I shouldn't post here cos we found out some months into the marriage.

1 Like

Re: Would/can You Still Go Ahead And Marry Your Spouse, If..........? by baby124: 12:54am On Jul 09, 2013
No. I think about the long term, and I know without my own biological kids I will be miserable. It may be good up to a point, but I want to share such a special gift with hubby. That child that will have his head, my eyes, his skin...etc. I also say a complete and absolute NO to donor sperm. I will rather get a divorce and get married to the donor. Than to bring another mans child under my husbands roof. Who are we kidding? I don't think we can truly be happy with donor spe*rm. This doesn't mean that the man is a write off. Am sure he will find someone who doesn't care and is open to adoption. I am open to adoption, but I also want my own kids.

1 Like

Re: Would/can You Still Go Ahead And Marry Your Spouse, If..........? by Nobody: 1:17am On Jul 09, 2013
Yes, I CAN! cool
I don't easily fall in love but when i do, it's always unconditional.
I don't mind adopting.

1 Like

Re: Would/can You Still Go Ahead And Marry Your Spouse, If..........? by Nobody: 5:39am On Jul 09, 2013

4 Likes

Re: Would/can You Still Go Ahead And Marry Your Spouse, If..........? by RoyalRoy(m): 6:21am On Jul 09, 2013
Real tricky one!!!!

But in reality, I would marry her with the agreement that I can have kids from a "surrogate" mother through an appropriate means!!!

You can't get into marriage & be happy knowing fully well ahead u won't be able to have any kids.........its bound to affect one psychologically.
We are humans afterall.!!!

1 Like

Re: Would/can You Still Go Ahead And Marry Your Spouse, If..........? by ameenahz(f): 7:33am On Jul 09, 2013
I don't think i can.

1)I'm not sure i'll be able to withstand the societal pressure that comes with not having kids. Here in Nigeria, it's a big deal if a couple does not have kids and unfortunately, most families end up blaming women first before considering the fact that the man might be infertile. It has to be a secret between us, if his family don't already know. How do i defend myself without betraying him??

2)Having MY OWN kids is so much of a big deal to me and using donor sperms every time i want another child will be like having different kids for different fathers. I'm not really into adoption except if i have my own and i just feel like adopting. And of course, i cant cheat on him. That will be just so odd. It's easier for a man to bring in kids from another woman than vice versa. If he accepts them, will his family accept them wholeheartedly?

If i have the same problem, i'll let/advice him to get a second wife, i may even get one for him if he doesnt mind.

Just my stand o.

1 Like

Re: Would/can You Still Go Ahead And Marry Your Spouse, If..........? by bellong: 8:51am On Jul 09, 2013
I may want to answer this from my religious conviction. I do pray and get confirmation from God about marital commitment. If she gets to tell me during courtship, it will only strengthen my bond with her.

Telling me already gives me an idea of the battle to fight and the long road to walk. If I never knew about it before asking her out, I will go back to God and ask if He wants me to continue with the relationship. If the King of Kings can tell me to go ahead, I am so sure that children are coming in abundance on the way. It may be long but they will definitely come.

5 Likes

Re: Would/can You Still Go Ahead And Marry Your Spouse, If..........? by Princesszoe: 9:14am On Jul 09, 2013
bellong: I may want to answer this from my religious conviction. I do pray and get confirmation from God about marital commitment. If she gets to tell me during courtship, it will only strengthen my bond with her.

Telling me already gives me an idea of the battle to fight and the long road to walk. If I never knew about it before asking her out, I will go back to God and ask if He wants me to continue with the relationship. If the King of Kings can tell me to go ahead, I am so sure that children are coming in abundance on the way. It may be long but they will definitely come.
YOU ARE SIMPLY THE BEST. I CONCUR
Re: Would/can You Still Go Ahead And Marry Your Spouse, If..........? by vivianc(f): 9:42am On Jul 09, 2013
No
Re: Would/can You Still Go Ahead And Marry Your Spouse, If..........? by Nobody: 10:03am On Jul 09, 2013
I personally will not go ahead and get married, if my bride-to-be confessed to being infertile, for whatever reason. And if I was already married, and it turned out my wife had hidden her infertility status from me, I would divorce her.

I've been there before, and I have no desire to go through the same emotional trauma twice.

3 Likes

Re: Would/can You Still Go Ahead And Marry Your Spouse, If..........? by greatgod2012(f): 10:05am On Jul 09, 2013
baby_123: No. I think about the long term, and I know without my own biological kids I will be miserable. It may be good up to a point, but I want to share such a special gift with hubby. That child that will have his head, my eyes, his skin...etc. I also say a complete and absolute NO to donor sperm. I will rather get a divorce and get married to the donor. Than to bring another mans child under my husbands roof. Who are we kidding? I don't think we can truly be happy with donor spe*rm. This doesn't mean that the man is a write off. Am sure he will find someone who doesn't care and is open to adoption. I am open to adoption, but I also want my own kids.

thanks for your honesty, sometimes, when i think deeply on issues like this, i realise its a very sensitive issue, that one may not really know or predict the future result of such decision.
Yes, at the beginning, one may not see anything wrong with the decision, but what of the likely future outcomes......hhhmmmmm, e no easy o, we are all humans.
May God help us all.
Re: Would/can You Still Go Ahead And Marry Your Spouse, If..........? by Nobody: 10:42am On Jul 09, 2013
Royal Roy: Real tricky one!!!!

But in reality, I would marry her with the agreement that I can have kids from a "surrogate" mother through an appropriate means!!!

You're a brave man. I was in such a situation some years back. I knew about my ex-wife's infertility issues prior to getting married, because she told me. We talked about adoption and surrogacy before we got married, and agreed those were the routes we'd take. Sadly, after we'd said "I do", she changed her mind.

We began taking Adoption classes through Barnardos. It can take up to a year for applicants to become approved to adopt. Part of the process is having your background checked, including any ex-partners. We were aware of this, and knew it would be intrusive to a degree, but we were okay with it - at least I was.

7 months into the process, we had a session one afternoon. I left work early, got home and found my wife wasn't home. I called our case workers to enquire why they were 25 minutes late. I was told my wife had cancelled, and wasn't I aware? I said no, I wasn't, so when was the rescheduled session? I was told there wasn't one, that my wife hadn't cancelled just this session, she'd pulled out altogether.

My wife got home, and I queried her on her decision to pull out, without discussing things with me? Her response? "I find the process too intrusive, I don't like the way they question us." I was shocked. I tried to reason with her, that children have to be protected, and the checks the authorities make are pretty valid, and expected. But she was adamant, so that ended the adoption route to children.

So we had just one route left - surrogacy, which we had agreed upon before getting married. Again, I was the only one carrying out research, calling hospitals in the UK and Europe, getting ideas on cost etc. While my wife did nothing, and showed very little interest.

Each time I tried to pin her down so we could discuss things, there was always an excuse -

It's very expensive.
It's a long process.
It might not work.
The surrogate mother might pull out.
Yada yada yada.

We had two houses at the time - one in France, and the one we lived in in the UK. I said if money was the issue, we could always remortgage the UK house, children are priceless, and if it meant even selling the house outright, that's what we should be doing!

This dragged on for 4 years - I would suggest we talked, she would say she had a lot on at work, we'd discuss things later. Things came to a head one day, she returned from work, and I told her outright we were going to thrash things out here and now, no more procrastinating. It was only then she told me bluntly she didn't want surrogacy either, she didn't want me to have a child with another woman's eggs womb, that the child would be mine, but not hers. So basically, she'd deceived me in the cruellest way possible, and was prepared to condemn me to a life of childlessness, through her own selfish desires?!

I took it hard. At first, I tried to put children out of my mind, and simply make the marriage work, but it was impossible. With each passing day, I resented my wife more. I began a series of blatant affairs, and didn't give a rat's árse if my wife found out or not, part of me did want her to catch me out, and she did, on several occasions, with different women. But I couldn't care less. And for those who may wish to attack me with scriptures, go shake your tambourine elsewhere, because I'm not interested. Until you're thrust into a certain situation, you can't tell for sure how you'd react, at least not with any degree of accuracy.

For those who can cope with childlessness or deception, good luck, I sincerely wish you all the best.

9 Likes

Re: Would/can You Still Go Ahead And Marry Your Spouse, If..........? by Nobody: 11:41am On Jul 09, 2013
@siena

ooooch
i dunno what to say
u talked about it before so i guess its odd to see why she backpedalled on adoption
i guess her infertility issues where serious enough to only have adoption or surrogacy as an option.
hmmm

@topic
with what i know about infertility then a full medical disclosure would be necessary and looking at viable options before i can make that decision.
Re: Would/can You Still Go Ahead And Marry Your Spouse, If..........? by Nobody: 11:43am On Jul 09, 2013
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm................
That's a real life situation up there. ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
I wouldn't agree with the deception part either, that is just MEAN!
Re: Would/can You Still Go Ahead And Marry Your Spouse, If..........? by greatgod2012(f): 11:45am On Jul 09, 2013
Siena:

You're a brave man. I was in such a situation some years back. I knew about my wife's infertility issues prior to getting married, because she told me. We talked about adoption and surrogacy before we got married, and agreed those were the routes we'd take. Sadly, after we'd said "I do", she changed her mind.

We began taking Adoption classes through Barnardos. It can take up to a year for applicants to become approved to adopt. Part of the process is having your background checked, including any ex-partners. We were aware of this, and knew it would be intrusive to a degree, but we were okay with it - at least I was.

7 months into the process, we had a session one afternoon. I left work early, got home and found my wife wasn't home. I called our case workers to enquire why they were 25 minutes late. I was told my wife had cancelled, and wasn't I aware? I said no, I wasn't, so when was the rescheduled session? I was told there wasn't one, that my wife hadn't cancelled just this session, she'd pulled out altogether.

My wife got home, and I queried her on her decision to pull out, without discussing things with me? Her response? "I find the process too intrusive, I don't like the way they question us." I was shocked. I tried to reason with her, that children have to be protected, and the checks the authorities make are pretty valid, and expected. But she was adamant, so that ended the adoption route to children.

So we had just one route left - surrogacy, which we had agreed upon before getting married. Again, I was the only one carrying out research, calling hospitals in the UK and Europe, getting ideas on cost etc. While my wife did nothing, and showed very little interest.

Each time I tried to pin her down so we could discuss things, there was always an excuse -

It's very expensive.
It's a long process.
It might not work.
Yada yada yada.

We had two houses at the time - one in France, and the one we lived in in the UK. I said if money was the issue, we could always remortgage the UK house, children are priceless, and if it meant even selling the house outright, that's what we should be doing!

This dragged on for 4 years - I would suggest we talked, she would say she had a lot on at work, we'd discuss things later. Things came to a head one day, she returned from work, and I told her outright we were going to thrash things out here and now, no more procrastinating. It was only then she told me bluntly she didn't want surrogacy either, she didn't want me to have a child with another woman's eggs womb, that the child would be mine, but not hers. So basically, she'd deceived me in the cruellest way possible, and was prepared to condemn me to a life of childlessness, through her own selfish desires?!

I took it hard. At first, I tried to put children out of my mind, and simply make the marriage work, but it was impossible. With each passing day, I resented my wife more. I began a series of blatant affairs, and didn't give a rat's árse if my wife found out or not, part of me did want her to catch me out, and she did, on several occasions, with different women. But I couldn't care less. And for those who may wish to attack me with scriptures, go shake your tambourine elsewhere, because I'm not interested. Until your thrust into a certain situation, you can't tell for sure how you'd react, at least not with any degree of accuracy.

For those who can cope with childlessness or deception, good luck, I sincerely wish you all the best.

you are the REAL man! your ex was simply SELFISH!!! She knew she wont have children of hers, and she didnt want you to have either, that is gross wickedness and pure selfishness. Kudos to you for your decisison to quit and thank God it worked out well for you.
In all sincerity, if you've not been there, you cant know how exactly it pinches.
God bless your home and reward your sincerity.

2 Likes

Re: Would/can You Still Go Ahead And Marry Your Spouse, If..........? by Nobody: 11:52am On Jul 09, 2013
I'll go ahead and marry her! As long as I love her, nothing wey God no fit do. "There's miracle in love"
Re: Would/can You Still Go Ahead And Marry Your Spouse, If..........? by Mynd44: 11:55am On Jul 09, 2013
Considering I consider marriage as somethings that should be done because I want to be with someone and share my life with her, children comes as an addition.

I will go ahead as long as she will have me
Re: Would/can You Still Go Ahead And Marry Your Spouse, If..........? by dubem3(m): 12:18pm On Jul 09, 2013
Sienna's story just took the words outta my mouth.
so many times we are oblivious of who we really are and the kind of actions we are capable of taking in real life situations.
questions like this are very easily answered albeit without proper evaluation of actual consequences.
As a matter of fact I would prefer to answer in the negative then find out I can actually put up with it in real life.

Let's not even talk about the fact that we are Nigerians and like it or not our culture has a way of reaching us no matter how hard we try to eschew it from our lives.
It's when you are married that you will begin to notice babies. How musical their cries can sound, how cute they look, how funny they can be...There is no end to that list and like that Nigerian musician will say 'my own na my own'(That's with reference to adoption). If you're a woman, you will want to feel the pains of child birth. If you're a man, you would want to care for a pregnant wife and have her insult you at child birth.
Abeg make una leave that thing.

3 Likes

Re: Would/can You Still Go Ahead And Marry Your Spouse, If..........? by greatgod2012(f): 12:18pm On Jul 09, 2013
kunletiwoo: I'll go ahead and marry her! As long as I love her, nothing wey God no fit do. "There's miracle in love"

how you dey? Long time!
I love your faith, your faith made thee whole.........but.............
Re: Would/can You Still Go Ahead And Marry Your Spouse, If..........? by greatgod2012(f): 12:26pm On Jul 09, 2013
alutacontinua: Yes, I CAN! cool
I don't easily fall in love but when i do, it's always unconditional.
I don't mind adopting.

@aluta, you are one of the peeps i love and admire so much, but, its not about now, its about the future, like chaircover put it...."regretting one's decision later in life", infact, it might be when its already late. May God help us o, its easier said o, my sister, but may God help us to make an accurate and sound decision we wont have to be resentful about in the future.
Re: Would/can You Still Go Ahead And Marry Your Spouse, If..........? by Nobody: 12:39pm On Jul 09, 2013
greatgod2012:

how you dey? Long time!
I love your faith, your faith made thee whole.........but.............

I dey fine and you? smiley..... And what could be the 'but' in taking such decision?
Re: Would/can You Still Go Ahead And Marry Your Spouse, If..........? by greatgod2012(f): 12:52pm On Jul 09, 2013
Maybe, i should share this..............

I have once or more times discussed about the guy i was hanging out before my hubby, i said why we broke was that hes a pathological and an unrepentant liar.
There was a time, though jokingly that he said i dont deserve him, that we were complete opposite of each other, i didnt take his words serious, i was madly in love, you know, as a fresh graduate, who just decided to start having a bf, you know how intoxicating the love would be.....ok, i never knew the guy really meant what he said and he really wanted to discharge me, one day, he called me that there was a very important thing to discuss with me, he said, he wanted to confide in me that he could not father a child, immediately, i cut him off while saying it, i said, "those things were said by a human doctor, and we are created by an immortal God who can bring something out of nothing, so, that isnt a problem to me". He thanked me and said my love in him just grew up the more, and that is how the matter was laid to rest, and in all sincerity, i didnt for once think about the matter, except that i committed it into the Lord's hand, after we have both prayed about it when he told me.
After a week, the guy called me again that there is a serious thing to discuss again, and again, i went there to hear what he had to say again, he said, "you see what i told you last week was a lie, i only wanted to test you if you really love me, the truth of the matter is that, i already have 2 children from 2 different women, and one of the kids is with my mum, while the other kid is with his mum", immediately too, i said that isnt a problem, that his children are my children, but later, i went to see his mum, and asked about the kids he talked about, and his mother shouted that,.......its all lie o,it was after then i also asked about his infertility case which he said he was just joking about, again, his mother said, its all lie, it was after that i confronted him on why hes telling all those lies and he confessed that......."im too spiritual for him, and that hes looking for ways to discharge me.............lol.

After i got married and i have kids, i started thinking about "if what the other guy told me about his infertility was true and we ended up marrying each other, is this what i will be missing

My deduction : when we are making the commitment, we might not realise what we are going into until we get there. Its only those who have been in that shoe that can know exactly how and where it pinches.
May God help us all.

1 Like

Re: Would/can You Still Go Ahead And Marry Your Spouse, If..........? by biolabee(m): 1:03pm On Jul 09, 2013
hahaha

that guy na tester of the brethren true true...
maybe God touched his heart that he will not mess up such a delicate flower
smiley
Re: Would/can You Still Go Ahead And Marry Your Spouse, If..........? by Nobody: 1:18pm On Jul 09, 2013
Madam Oluwatobiloba: That was really interesting smiley. Also, I want you to know that whoever is taking this kind of decision in life must have pondered on it, and fully know its implications.

Life itself is a risk, but when mixed with faith in your God, why then think of the impossible? Except you don't have the full knowledge of the God you serve sha ooo.
Re: Would/can You Still Go Ahead And Marry Your Spouse, If..........? by ayans4u: 1:19pm On Jul 09, 2013
Siena:

You're a brave man. I was in such a situation some years back. I knew about my ex-wife's infertility issues prior to getting married, because she told me. We talked about adoption and surrogacy before we got married, and agreed those were the routes we'd take. Sadly, after we'd said "I do", she changed her mind.

It's very expensive.
It's a long process.
It might not work.
Yada yada yada.

I took it hard. At first, I tried to put children out of my mind, and simply make the marriage work, but it was impossible. With each passing day, I resented my wife more. I began a series of blatant affairs, and didn't give a rat's árse if my wife found out or not, part of me did want her to catch me out, and she did, on several occasions, with different women. But I couldn't care less. And for those who may wish to attack me with scriptures, go shake your tambourine elsewhere, because I'm not interested. Until you're thrust into a certain situation, you can't tell for sure how you'd react, at least not with any degree of accuracy.

Siena...I so love your posts on issues like this........I can really relate with them....
thanks for sharing.....
Re: Would/can You Still Go Ahead And Marry Your Spouse, If..........? by ayans4u: 1:29pm On Jul 09, 2013
To be sincere with you, I would not.
....in as much as I love him, I also know that my love should not be "selfish" as my children also deserve to be loved....so I can't in the name of love,....stop some children who also deserve to be loved from coming, through me to see this beautiful world....and enjoying the love therein....all in the name of love.....
Re: Would/can You Still Go Ahead And Marry Your Spouse, If..........? by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jul 09, 2013
C nigerians lying to their teeth.who r we deceiving here? How many pple marry for lv in this country especially ladies? Look at family section of nl,couple with kids(very strong bond)always havin one marital squabble or d other,not to talk of family without children and one is infertile. I tell u,dat lv will clear one day and u will tell d person to his or her face when annoyed o. Even after sayin sorry,u hv sown a seed.
What about family interest. No matter how u try to cover it up,one day u will say,its not my fault but his.so what happens then.
Assumin its a woman and d man is ok,I tell u,family members will bring in another woman for their son even if a mad woman as long as she can give birth.let us be realistic. And practical pls.
Even if d son is adamant,they must drive u away! U be winch.they send u.
Also let's not forget that we r nigerians and we don't play with children.oyibo woman can decide to adopt,we don't bc of culture( little(%)
Abeg,let's be realistic.
,to ur ?,capital no. I cannot and will not advise any to do so.
I can never promise what I will not do cause tomoro they say is pregnant. Also I don't want to fall into temptation. Its too risky abeg.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A Thread For "Last Born" / My Baby Is Not Pooping / What to Do When Your Child Insults You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.