Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,790 members, 7,813,609 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:50 PM

Different Lengths of Day for Ramadan Fast Around the World - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Different Lengths of Day for Ramadan Fast Around the World (11150 Views)

Sultan Announces MOON Sighting For Ramadan / 6 Killed In Stampede For Ramadan Largesse In Gusau / American Pastor Joins Muslims In Ramadan Fast (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Different Lengths of Day for Ramadan Fast Around the World by Quelme: 4:03pm On Jul 15, 2013
balium:

i'm fasting, i'd rather not insult you
thats what your imported religion is known for. Go on with it. Of course you guys have done more harm than good to humanity.
Re: Different Lengths of Day for Ramadan Fast Around the World by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jul 15, 2013
A-town:

I know it is from dawn to dusk. The only think bothering me is that dawn to dusk is not the same for everyone. Will the people in Alaska get better rewards than those in Nigeria for fasting longer? Again, i'm trying to be educated. I do not want anyone bringing some sort of malice into this.

Same reward for fasting. But probably extra reward for perseverance (doing good deed under harder condition) for the longer ones.
Re: Different Lengths of Day for Ramadan Fast Around the World by lafuria1(m): 4:06pm On Jul 15, 2013
A-town:

I know it is from dawn to dusk. The only think bothering me is that dawn to dusk is not the same for everyone. Will the people in Alaska get better rewards than those in Nigeria for fasting longer? Again, i'm trying to be educated. I do not want anyone bringing some sort of malice into this.
Not better reward but of course more reward for the length of fasting, an extra reward. In islam we have general rules that applies to every regions with no confusion. Since its from dawn to dusk, regardless of how many hours it is, fasting has to be observed.
Re: Different Lengths of Day for Ramadan Fast Around the World by Nobody: 4:07pm On Jul 15, 2013
philip0906:
hehe another fail!poor comprehension. . .was making reference to this-"Humans that just sit down and fix a specific date (e.g December 25), when you and I know time changes (6:15 pm today, you may have sun still full, same 6:15 pm next month, it's dawn already)

or

Humans that follow the dictate of sun and moon (which are natural)?
"
sounds like a comment coming from a high school kid.Very immature

It is called logic. You bring simple scenario to drive home a logical argument. Tell me another story.

1 Like

Re: Different Lengths of Day for Ramadan Fast Around the World by xynerise: 4:11pm On Jul 15, 2013
Qtsnow:
you can actually tell someonme you are fasting, if you dont want to do or say something that will invalidate your fast
Telling someone you are fasting attracts more temptations. Dont you think so?
Re: Different Lengths of Day for Ramadan Fast Around the World by Nobody: 4:16pm On Jul 15, 2013
Dis Guy:

same reason people dont celebrate new years day at the same time, does it mean there are not equal?

New year is a holiday. Fasting is a different issue.

Jarus:

Same reward for fasting. But probably extra reward for perseverance (doing good deed under harder condition) for the longer ones.

Thank you. I think your answer best explains it.
Re: Different Lengths of Day for Ramadan Fast Around the World by Horlawoomey(m): 4:19pm On Jul 15, 2013
philip0906:
hehe another fail!poor comprehension. . .was making reference to this-"Humans that just sit down and fix a specific date (e.g December 25), when you and I know time changes (6:15 pm today, you may have sun still full, same 6:15 pm next month, it's dawn already)

or

"
sounds like a comment coming from a high school kid.Very immature

YOUR BRAIN IS PROBABLY UNDER YOUR FEET.

1 Like

Re: Different Lengths of Day for Ramadan Fast Around the World by DisGuy: 4:19pm On Jul 15, 2013
A-town:

New year is a holiday. Fasting is a different issue.

Thank you. I think your answer best explains it.

still relative to time
Re: Different Lengths of Day for Ramadan Fast Around the World by gidiMonsta(m): 4:20pm On Jul 15, 2013
Ramadan days are usually very short if it falls during the winter in scandinavia.
Re: Different Lengths of Day for Ramadan Fast Around the World by Mavrick2012: 4:27pm On Jul 15, 2013
tank goodnes 4 science,religion is so naiv abt earth n cosmology.instead of being "flexible"(as stated above) d "omniscience God" should have known that there are places(durin certain seasons of d yr)dat wil xperienc 24hs sunshine/darkness n tel its folowers ahead of time.dis reminds one of d quranic verse dat tels muslims 2 pray durin comon-eclips of d moon,som fanatics even interprets it as d result of d sin of "infidels".d govt had 2 deploy soldiers on d streets durin d last lunar eclips in kaduna.religion,especially xtianity n islam,is such a huge contraptn.
Re: Different Lengths of Day for Ramadan Fast Around the World by Nobody: 4:36pm On Jul 15, 2013
Dis Guy:

still relative to time

You are not getting the point. New Year holiday observance is not compulsory. It is a holiday. Whether it is relative to time does not matter. Fasting is compulsory for muslims hence my question. Anyway, no need to argue, i believe i have a fairly good enough answer
Re: Different Lengths of Day for Ramadan Fast Around the World by Iykeponti(m): 4:41pm On Jul 15, 2013
Guys beware of stomach ulcer... sad
Re: Different Lengths of Day for Ramadan Fast Around the World by maclatunji: 4:53pm On Jul 15, 2013
A-town:

The reward for fasting is known to God only. What is required of us is to fast within the rules and that is all we do.

1 Like

Re: Different Lengths of Day for Ramadan Fast Around the World by Mavrick2012: 4:56pm On Jul 15, 2013
Jarus:

Tell me who's more likely to be right:

Humans that just sit down and fix a specific date (e.g December 25), when you and I know time changes (6:15 pm today, you may have sun still full, same 6:15 pm next month, it's dawn already)

or

Which one is more subject to human volition/desire?
Sincerely,i dnt know y u occatnaly sound like an ilitrate(sory,nt insult).d hijra calendar folows d revolutn of d moon round d earth while d gregorian/scientific(pls not xtian as som want us 2 blv)alighns wit d revolutn of d earth round d sun.so, which one is "natural" n which is man made?if u ask me i tink d gregorian is FAR beta because it can b used in predictin weather.today ramadan falls in rainy season/summer(norhern hemisphere),ten yrs time ramadan will fall in dry season/winter.to follow d hijra calendar is to folow confutn

1 Like

Re: Different Lengths of Day for Ramadan Fast Around the World by fapcrook(m): 5:13pm On Jul 15, 2013
Jarus: In Naija here it's 5am to 7pm = roughly 14 hours.

Was in UK last month and subhi (dusk) was around 4.00 am and moghrib (dawn)9.30 pm (that's whopping 17.5 hours!). Thank God I don run to Naija to do my 14 hours fasting jeje. Thsi is a time to holiday in Argentina grin
You are right, but they enjoy during summer. I once fasted for 9 hours in UK, Oxford to be precise in 2004, may Allah accept our Ramadan
Re: Different Lengths of Day for Ramadan Fast Around the World by blackmann(m): 5:15pm On Jul 15, 2013
Fasting here in the US is not easy, but SWT will make it easy on us. We must eat Sahur by 3:45am and ifthar is usually by 8:25pm. What makes it difficult is we are in the middle of summer where temperatures can reach as high as 103F(39C).

May Almighty Allah make it easy for us.
Re: Different Lengths of Day for Ramadan Fast Around the World by fapcrook(m): 5:15pm On Jul 15, 2013
xynerise:
Public Announcement. You dont tell someone u are fasting, thats hypocrisy
. Sorry it is allowed especially if someone wants to provoke u
Re: Different Lengths of Day for Ramadan Fast Around the World by xynerise: 5:19pm On Jul 15, 2013
fapcrook: . Sorry it is allowed especially if someone wants to provoke u
So if I wan provoke you and u tell me say u dey fast, you think say I go stop? undecided

ok, thats when dagger comes to play right?
Re: Different Lengths of Day for Ramadan Fast Around the World by Akiika: 5:21pm On Jul 15, 2013
A-town:

Thank you for providing an answer. My only worry is that since everyone is equal, shouldn't it be somehow made equal for everybody. Why should some fast for 17-19 while some fast for 12-14 hrs due to geographical locations? I am not trying to create any arguement, i'm just trying to understand it because i'm certain that back in ancient times, geographical location was not put into consideration. What do you think?
Islam is complete submission to the guidance of Allah. Allah said fast from dusk to dawn, so be it, no question!
Re: Different Lengths of Day for Ramadan Fast Around the World by talk2me006(m): 5:30pm On Jul 15, 2013
erul: sorry u cant all observed d fast at d same time cos u ppl in ur ignorance ar serving d element of d world (sun n moon) wc ar subjected 2 changes.u ar practising idolatry.so pls waistin ur time sayin dt u ar fastin,cos d end of all dis wil b hell fire,so repent n com 2 Jesus d only way to God

[Noble Quran 2:189]

"They ask you about the new moons. Say: These are signs to mark fixed periods of time for Mankind and for the pilgrimage”

Quran 41.037
Among His Signs are the Night and the Day, and the Sun and the Moon. Do not prostrate to the sun and the moon, but prostrate to Allah, Who created them, if it is Him ye wish to serve.

So the verse is very explicit that we Muslims should not worship the moon nor the sun, and that the moon is a creation of Allah. This verse completely crushes the lie that we Muslims worship a moon God, I mean does it make sense that we Muslims worship a moon God when we have such a verse? Off course not!

I hope you get that..

I wil not insult u because am fasting

9 Likes

Re: Different Lengths of Day for Ramadan Fast Around the World by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jul 15, 2013
Akiika:
Islam is complete submission to the guidance of Allah. Allah said fast from dusk to dawn, so be it, no question!

While i see your point of view, it is also noteworthy to mention that as humans, we are built to ask questions. I see nothing wrong in asking why some people should fast for 12hrs and others 7 hrs when we are all humans. The day we stop asking questions is when we stop being relevant. I am not a muslim but i like to learn. I am aware that even the 5 daily prayers used to be a lot more than that and was reduced (not sure of the exact reason). This kinda brought about the question. My thinking was that maybe there'd be some provisions for those living in extremeties where they have to fast for 17hrs or more. I am aware that there are some exceptions for people based on occupation. For example, you cannot be a roughneck working on rigs in Louisiana/Texas in the summer and fast. YOU WILL DIE. When i used to supervise rigs, we used to have mandatory hydration units that made sure everyone of them drank water at least once an hour during their tour.

This and many other reasons is why i ask my questions. I ask to be enlightened and not given the typical "This is what it is so you take it or leave it".

1 Like

Re: Different Lengths of Day for Ramadan Fast Around the World by aitanofi(m): 6:05pm On Jul 15, 2013
Why D̶̲̥̅̊Õ̳͡ people derive pleasure in commenting on ΨђåƮ does not seems T̶̲̥̅Ơ̴͡ concern them, ị̝̇ƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇̇ the topic not clear enough? Its high time we learnt how T̶̲̥̅Ơ̴͡ criticize constructivelly .

1 Like

Re: Different Lengths of Day for Ramadan Fast Around the World by aitanofi(m): 6:09pm On Jul 15, 2013
Quelme: thats what your imported religion is known for. Go on with it. Of course you guys have done more harm than good to humanity.
Why D̶̲̥̅̊Õ̳͡ people derive pleasure in commenting on ΨђåƮ does not seems T̶̲̥̅Ơ̴͡ concern them, ị̝̇ƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇̇ the topic not clear enough? Its high time we learnt how T̶̲̥̅Ơ̴͡ criticize constructivelly .
Re: Different Lengths of Day for Ramadan Fast Around the World by Akiika: 6:40pm On Jul 15, 2013
A-town:

While i see your point of view, it is also noteworthy to mention that as humans, we are built to ask questions. I see nothing wrong in asking why some people should fast for 12hrs and others 7 hrs when we are all humans. The day we stop asking questions is when we stop being relevant. I am not a muslim but i like to learn. I am aware that even the 5 daily prayers used to be a lot more than that and was reduced (not sure of the exact reason). This kinda brought about the question. My thinking was that maybe there'd be some provisions for those living in extremeties where they have to fast for 17hrs or more. I am aware that there are some exceptions for people based on occupation. For example, you cannot be a roughneck working on rigs in Louisiana/Texas in the summer and fast. YOU WILL DIE. When i used to supervise rigs, we used to have mandatory hydration units that made sure everyone of them drank water at least once an hour during their tour.

This and many other reasons is why i ask my questions. I ask to be enlightened and not given the typical "This is what it is so you take it or leave it".
Well, in Islam, we do not not challenge the will of Allah, because he is all knowing. He wills that we fast from dusk to dawn irrespective of our location and we obey, it's part of our faith. When you believe in something, you don't question it. It's just like 2 + 2 = 4 that men invented from the the knowledge Allah bestowed, will you answer it as 5 and challenge your teacher for marking it wrong? Unfortunately, it is a case of "you take it or leave it" partner, as a muslim faithful i have to take it, and for you as a non-muslim, you have the liberty to leave it.
Those who are exempted from fasting are the weak, old, sick, journeying and children. The sick and the journeying persons still have to do the fast whenever they are relieved from their discomfort. So, the roughnecks or other labor intensive job does not qualify, it's either they schedule their vacation during ramadhan or look for another job. There is no excuse for any muslim that has attained puberty, sane and healthy for not fasting outside the earlier stated ones. As per the 5 daily prayers, only 5 was decreed for muslims. What you are referring to is the "Isral wal miraj", the ascension of the holy prophet(pbuh) to heaven, Allah originally prescribed 50 prayers, but on Muhammed's way back, he met Moses (in spirit on the 6th heaven) that advised him to plead for a lesser number because he knew his followers would be too lazy to do the prayers, these went back and forth until Allah allowed it reduced to only 5. This is the number that was commanded every muslims to do, it's not as if they'd started the 50 then reduced it. I hope i have been able to make some clarifications.

3 Likes

Re: Different Lengths of Day for Ramadan Fast Around the World by deols(f): 7:17pm On Jul 15, 2013
A-town:

That it does not favour the people in Alaska now doesnt mean it never did or may not in the future.

That the period of ramadan shifts when you compare it with the gregorian calendar makes it possible for each people of all nations to fast at every season..I hope u got it.

I have friends attending an Islamic university. They used to have their break during ramadan while we have ours during the summer period.

This year, because the ramadan is earlier, they are writing exams in it and only the last part of the ramadan period would they have as their break.

Meaning, it will go round. There is wisdom behind that for those with the 7th sense.
Re: Different Lengths of Day for Ramadan Fast Around the World by deols(f): 7:20pm On Jul 15, 2013
Quelme: thats what your imported religion is known for. Go on with it. Of course you guys have done more harm than good to humanity.

See who is talking.

Someone,, because he is fasting decides not to insult you and here is what you have to say.

The one with the higher moral ground is obvious.
Re: Different Lengths of Day for Ramadan Fast Around the World by deols(f): 7:22pm On Jul 15, 2013
xynerise:
Telling someone you are fasting attracts more temptations. Dont you think so?

So how much of drilling would you need fo4 this to sink.

In Islam, it is allowed. A matter of Islam can and should only be seen from an Islamic perspective .
Re: Different Lengths of Day for Ramadan Fast Around the World by Nobody: 7:31pm On Jul 15, 2013
But seriously,what's hard to comprehend about "Dawn to Dusk" and "Sunrise to Sunset" ?

I think some people just want to be funny or are just plain ignorant about time zones/GMT.
Re: Different Lengths of Day for Ramadan Fast Around the World by Nobody: 7:37pm On Jul 15, 2013
~Bluetooth:

But seriously,what's hard to comprehend about "Dawn to Dusk" and "Sunrise to Sunset" ?

I think some people just want to be funny or are just plain ignorant about time zones/GMT.

If you take the time to read through the posts, you will realize the questions don't circle around the dawn to dusk issue but the fact that some people have to fast longer than others. My question has been answered anyway. Just wanted to point that out.
Re: Different Lengths of Day for Ramadan Fast Around the World by heykims(m): 7:50pm On Jul 15, 2013
A-town:

Re: Different Lengths of Day for Ramadan Fast Around the World by heykims(m): 7:51pm On Jul 15, 2013
A-town:

yes it is dawn to sunset in all parts of d world irrespective of d time interval between nd it shows a sign of unity when u see all humans in different colours nd regions perform d same religious rite unlike one other religion in which followers dont even know when to start or break their fast and u see different people wt his or her pattern of fasting...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Can the Imam Stand Higher Than Those Behind Him for Prayer? / Call Sheik Dahiru Bauchi To Order / Ramadan Kareem: Fast Commences In Nigeria!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.