Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,269 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:01 AM

Why Cant I Put On A Necklace - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Why Cant I Put On A Necklace (4225 Views)

Lessons Learnt from the Hadith Of The Lost Necklace (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Cant I Put On A Necklace by spenca: 4:37am On Jul 13, 2013
Salam salam my muslim brothers ,i put on a gold necklace and each time my sister (not my blood sister) sees it around my neck, she complains, saying i ought not to wear a necklace as a Muslim brother and i wonder what am missing here can someone please tell me what is wrong in me wearing a gold necklace although i have altered putting the necklace around my neck till further notice
Re: Why Cant I Put On A Necklace by Qtsnow(m): 5:27am On Jul 13, 2013
salam alaekum

1. gold jewelries are not appopriate for men in islam but only for women
2. if you have to put on a jewelry, it cant be a necklace or any kind, but a silver wrist watch is acceptable
3. hand bands or bangles are not also appropriate for men islam
4. women are the ones allowed to use them and when they use it, they most be covered
these are justification were drawn from different hadiths
Re: Why Cant I Put On A Necklace by spenca: 10:28am On Jul 13, 2013
Qtsnow: salam alaekum

1. gold jewelries are not appopriate for men in islam but only for women
2. if you have to put on a jewelry, it cant be a necklace or any kind, but a silver wrist watch is acceptable
3. hand bands or bangles are not also appropriate for men islam
4. women are the ones allowed to use them and when they use it, they most be covered
these are justification were drawn from different hadiths
you have said well but all you just made mention of, am not oblivious of the point is which of the hadith were they said, all i need is to see the justification. if you can also write out the hadith it would really be kind of you. people tend to bring out some meaning from the hadith that aint there , just like a brother once said that there is blessing when the mouth stinks during the month of ramadan or when someone is fasting which is very wrong because Islam promotes clean and healthy things, my only point of citing this is just to make you understand why i want to know which of the hadiths it is written in and we can both rub minds about it, if not its just like me believing everything am told about Islam
Re: Why Cant I Put On A Necklace by Nobody: 11:14am On Jul 13, 2013
@spenca; The person who said there is blessing in the smelly mouth because of fast is correct with qualifying it, because while you must brush and permitted to use miswak, you can overdue it with effort to keep the mouth free from the natural smell. some people resort into over gargling of the mouth. Allah make a 30 day fast of prophet Musa [as] become 40 by adding 10 days because he tried to mask the smell of the fast. You can brush your mouth because it is what is correct to do. you just cannot be careless to let anything go into your throat, as it may go down when not fasting.

www.theonlyquran.com/hadith/Sahih-Muslim/?volume=24&chapter.

Sahih Muslim

by Imam Muslim, translation by Abdul Hamid Siddiqui , Volume: The Book Pertaining to Clothes and Decoration (Kitab Al-Libas wa'l-Zinah)
Chapter: THE USE OF GOLD AND SILVER VESSELS IS FORBIDDEN TO MEN AND WOMEN AND IT IS ALSO PROHIBITED TO DRINK IN THEM

Abd al-Rahman reported on the authority of his mother's sister Umm Salama who said that Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: He who drank in vessels of gold or silver he in fact drank down in his belly the fire of Hell.

Mu'awiya b. Suwaid b. Muqarrin reporxed: I visited al-Bara' b. 'Azib and heard him say: Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) commanded us to do seven things and forbade us to do seven (things). He commanded us to visit the sick, to follow the funeral procession, to answer the sneezer, to fulfil the vow, to help the poor, to accept the invitation and to greet everybody, and he forbade us to wear rings or gold rings, to drink in silver (vessels), and to use the saddle cloth made of red silk, and to wear garments made of Qassi material, or garments made of silk or brocade and velvet.

This hadith has been reported on the authority of Ash'ath b. Sulaim with the same chain of transmitters but with a slight change of wording that he made no mention of:" to fulfil the vows" but substituted these words:" finding of the lost articles".
Re: Why Cant I Put On A Necklace by spenca: 11:36am On Jul 13, 2013
ok i see the ring but yet the necklace and also about the stinking mouth,that was my point if one can control ones washing of the mouth that is avoid the mouthwash to go down the throat, one is good to do so . but letz also have in mind the time this was revealed , unlike these days where in person communication is the peak of every income and success, if one is to stick to the no wash command or assumption this world lead to or may lead to a adverse in the trade of this individual. i understand quite well .thank you brother, i read somewhere also that yellow gold is forbidden to a muslim brother but he is allowed to put on white gold(silver).

and the hadith used to justify the wrongness of a muslim brother wearing necklace is the invocation of the holy Prophet (p.b.u.h) that cursed be any man that chooses to dress or be a woman, this is not the exact quote of the hadith but a summary of the saying .
Re: Why Cant I Put On A Necklace by Nobody: 1:43pm On Jul 13, 2013
gold is gold. silver is silver.

interesting, man wear platinum which is more expensive. platinum is not as eye catching and people have theorize that gold is poisonous which woman excretes with the monthly period whereas man cant excrete the poison, to me obedience is part of worship. it is the ingredient of worship. fasting done properly will leave a sign in your voice, your mouth and it may even on your face.

people know a fasting person by the glow and may Allah give us the reward of fasting. Amin
Re: Why Cant I Put On A Necklace by jelel6: 5:29pm On Jul 13, 2013
my dear op. The contributors here have given u convincing answers from salih hadith. Do not try to justify ur act by bending the message. Remember Allah says in the Quran. Obey Allah and obey the messengers

1 Like

Re: Why Cant I Put On A Necklace by deols(f): 6:38pm On Jul 13, 2013
@Op,
The responses are good enough, I think.

But I want to speak on the mouth odour from a fasting person. Nothing stops you from brushing as even the siwak(pako. Sorry, cant remember english meaning embarassed) was encouraged by him.

Whatever smell is in the mouth even then, is beloved to Allah more than the musk is.

Wa Allahu a'lam.
Re: Why Cant I Put On A Necklace by spenca: 8:57am On Jul 14, 2013
We have all spoken well and i really appreciate your efforts to help a brother understand but You all seem not to be getting ma question , the hadith cited by roypcain , do not talk about necklaces rather it talks about containers made out of gold n silver , the candid question is WHY CANT I WEAR A NECKLACE AS A MUSLIM BROTHER??
i only cited the mouth odour as an example which seems to have covered the face of the main issues. Please help me understand and may the favours of this holy month flux our lives for best

@qtsnow am still expecting to hear from you .., salam
Re: Why Cant I Put On A Necklace by deols(f): 11:45am On Jul 14, 2013
You said something about the necklace. A form of adornment for women.
Re: Why Cant I Put On A Necklace by Nobody: 11:51am On Jul 14, 2013
@spenca:
Mu'awiya b. Suwaid b. Muqarrin reporxed: I visited al-Bara' b. 'Azib and heard him say: Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) commanded us to do seven things and forbade us to do seven (things). He commanded us to visit the sick, to follow the funeral procession, to answer the sneezer, to fulfil the vow, to help the poor, to accept the invitation and to greet everybody, and he forbade us to wear rings or gold rings, to drink in silver (vessels), and to use the saddle cloth made of red silk, and to wear garments made of Qassi material, or garments made of silk or brocade and velvet.

answers.yahoo.com › ... › Society & Culture › Holidays › Ramadan

Sunan Abu Dawud, Book 27, Hadith 4046 - Narrated by Ali ibn Abu Talib: The Prophet of Allah (SAW) took silk and held it in his right hand, and took gold and held it in his left hand and said: "both of these are prohibited to the males of my community"

Sahih Al-Bukhari HadithHadith 7.731 Narrated byAli bin Abi Talib
The Prophet gave me a silk suit. I went out wearing it, but seeing the signs of anger on his face, I tore it and distributed it among my wives.

Sunan of Abu-DawoodHadith 4224 Narrated byAbuHurayrah
The Prophet (pbuh) said: If anyone wants to put a ring of fire on one he loves, let him put a gold ring on him: if anyone wants to put a necklace of fire on one he loves, let him put a gold necklace on him, and if anyone wants to put a bracelet of fire on one he loves let him put a gold bracelet on him. Keep to silver and amuse yourselves with it.

Islam has, prohibited two kinds of adornment for men, while permitting them to women. These are, first, gold ornaments and, second, clothing made of pure silk. `Ali reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) took some silk in his right hand and some gold in his left, declaring, "These two are haram for the males among my followers." (Reported by Ahmad, Abu Dawud, an-Nasa'i, Ibn Hayyan, and Ibn Majah, who reports the additional phrase, "but halal for the females."wink `Umar reported that he heard the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) say, "Do not wear silk, for those who wear it in this life shall not wear it in the Hereafter." (Reported by al-Bukhari and Muslim) On another occasion, referring to a silken garment, he said, "This is the dress of a man who has no character.'' (Reported by al-Bukhari and Muslim)
Re: Why Cant I Put On A Necklace by deols(f): 11:56am On Jul 14, 2013
@Roypcain,

The hadith says gold necklace.

What happens if op wears an aluminium one? Or one made from nickel or something else.

He agrees that gold is haram but doesnt see why he should not wear necklace at all.
Re: Why Cant I Put On A Necklace by tbaba1234: 12:20pm On Jul 14, 2013
Actually, one can brush with a tooth brush and paste. You have to be careful about swallowing that's all. It is what passes through the throat that breaks your fast (except your own saliva). (This is based on a talk from Dr Bilal Philips)

Gold is not allowed, if you must wear a necklace, use something else.

And Allah knows best.
Re: Why Cant I Put On A Necklace by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jul 14, 2013
@deols; the reason i bothered posting hadith the second time is this statement of spenca below in bold;

We have all spoken well and i really appreciate your efforts to help a brother understand but You all seem not to be getting ma question , the hadith cited by roypcain , do not talk about necklaces rather it talks about containers made out of gold n silver , the candid question is WHY CANT I WEAR A NECKLACE AS A MUSLIM BROTHER??

as we all know whatever is made haraam is clearly haraam. necklace ring or bracelet, if they are not made of any amount of [AU] gold [white or other color [silver is not gold though the questioner called it white gold]] is not haraam. i stated that platinum which is more expensive than gold is not haraam because it is not mentioned of things haraam. i even gave a scientific opinion that i heard about the poisoning property of gold on men, which women are saved from because of the monthly guests.

its a good thing that tbaba1234 has spoken along the same line as i and all muslims should be on the same line because it is the statement of the prophet [sa].
Re: Why Cant I Put On A Necklace by Qtsnow(m): 12:19pm On Jul 15, 2013
i believe your question has been justified and cleared from the various hadiths which has been sighted by different contributors to buttress the points have made. may Allah guides us all through the right path. amin. salam alaekum
Re: Why Cant I Put On A Necklace by deols(f): 2:01pm On Jul 15, 2013
I think the necklace, just like ear rings shouldn't be worn at all by a male since it puts the man in a position where he is dressing like women.

I can be wrong though. Havent seen any scholarly opinion about it.
Re: Why Cant I Put On A Necklace by Nobody: 12:35pm On Aug 08, 2013
Salam, jazaka'Allahu khairan 4 d clarifications. May Allah preserve and increase our imaan.
My question now is '' if one already possess any of these prohibited items(gold watches, chains etc), wot is d best way to dispose of these items?
Can one give it out to anoda person, sell, keep without usin it or wot?
Ramadan mubarak
Re: Why Cant I Put On A Necklace by tbaba1234: 6:06pm On Aug 09, 2013
^

1. If the jewelry can be used by a female, then you can give or sell it to a woman.

2. You can not give or sell it to a man who is going to wear it, The below is from Islamqa:

Praise be to Allaah.

Selling gold rings to men, if the seller knows that the buyer is going to wear it or he thinks it most likely that he will wear it, it is haraam to sell it to him, because gold is forbidden to the males of this ummah. So if he knows or thinks it most likely that he will wear it, then he is helping in sin, and Allaah has forbidden us to help one another in sin and transgression, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

[i]“Help you one another in Al‑Birr and At‑Taqwa (virtue, righteousness and piety); but do not help one another in sin and transgression”

[al-Maa’idah 5:2]

It is not permissible for a goldsmith to make gold rings to be worn by men.

Shaykh Muhammad ibn ‘Uthaymeen[/i]

1 Like

Re: Why Cant I Put On A Necklace by Nobody: 7:23pm On Aug 09, 2013
^^^ Jazaka'Allahu Khairan. If its a watch dat can't b worn by women, can one then keep it without wearin.
Re: Why Cant I Put On A Necklace by tbaba1234: 7:39pm On Aug 09, 2013
^ Wa iyyakum,

The crime is wearing gold for a man. If you can keep yourself and other men from wearing it then i think it is fine, otherwise you probably sell it to a person who makes female jewelry so he can make something else from it.

(Note: This is a personal opinion not a fatwa so take it with a pinch of salt)
Re: Why Cant I Put On A Necklace by Nobody: 8:10pm On Aug 09, 2013
May Allah increase u in knowledge

(1) (Reply)

Fasting Six Days Of Shawwal After Ramadan / For Muslims: Contradictions In The Quran / Islam And The Protection Of The Environment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.