Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,042 members, 7,818,090 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:29 AM

For Muslims: Contradictions In The Quran - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / For Muslims: Contradictions In The Quran (4242 Views)

Contradictions In The Bible / Godson Et All, Where Are The Contradictions In The Qur'aan? / The Numerical Contradictions In The Quran by Backslider (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

For Muslims: Contradictions In The Quran by honeychild(f): 9:39pm On Nov 14, 2012
For our muslim friends who are fond of Bible bashing, I would like to give them a dose of their own medicine grin. Please can you explain the Quran's contradictory answers to the following questions:
1. WHAT SHOULD BE DONE TO INFIDELS? SHOULD YOU PREACH TO THEM OR DECAPITATE THEM?

Answer 1: Preach to them.
Sura 3:20 - But if they dispute with thee say: I submit myself entirely to Allah and (so does) he who follows me. And say to those who have been given the book and the unlearned people: Do you submit, then indeed they follow the right way, and if they turn back, thy duty is only to deliver the message. And Allah is a seer of the servants.
Sura 10:99 - And if thy Lord had pleased all those who are in the earth would have believed. Will thou then force men till they are believers?
Sura 13:40 - Whether we let thee see part of that which we promised them or cause thee to die, t[b]hine is but the delivery of the message, and ours to call (them) to account.[/b]

Answer 2: Kill them all!
Sura 9:5 - When the sacred months have passed, slay the idolaters, wherever you find them, and take them captive and besiege them and lie in wait for them in every ambush. But if they repent and keep up prayer and pay the poor rate, leave their way free. Surely Allah is forgiving, Merciful.
Sura 9:123- Oh you who believe, fight those of the disbelievers who are near to you and let them find firmness with you. And know that Allah is with those who keep their duty.

WAS JESUS KILLED OR NOT?
Answer 1: YES
Sura 3:55 - When Allah said 'O Jesus, I will cause thee to die and exalt thee in my presence and clear thee of those who disbelieve and make those who follow thee above those who disbelieve to the day of Resurrection. Then to Me is your return, so I shall decide between you concerning that wherein you differ.

Answer 2: NO
Sura 4:156,157 - And for their disbelief and for their uttering against Mary a grievous calumny: And for their saying we have killed the Messiah, Jesus Son of Mary, the messenger of Allah, and they killed him not, nor did they cause his death on the cross but he was made to them as such. And certainly those who differ therein are in doubt about it. They have no knowledge about it, but they killed him not for certain.

WAS MUHAMMED THE FIRST MUSLIM OR NOT?

Answer 1: No
Sura 3:52 - But when Jesus perceived disbelief on their part, he said: Who will be my helpers in Allah's way? The disciples said: we are Allah's helpers. We believe in Allah and bear witness that we are submitting ones
Sura 3:62 - Abraham was not a jew nor a christian, but he was an upright (man) a Muslim, and he was not one of the polytheists.

Answer 2: Yes
Sura 6:14- Say: shall I take for a friend other than Allah, the Originator of the heavens and the earth and He feeds and is not fed? S[b]ay: I am commanded to be the first of those who submit
[/b]
Sura 6:162,163 - Say: My prayer and my sacrifice and my life and my death are surely for Allah - the Lord of the worlds, No associate has he. And thus I am commanded, and I am the first of those who submit.

So Muslim brethren, please turn out en-masse to defend your Holy Book. wink grin
Re: For Muslims: Contradictions In The Quran by Zodiac61(m): 9:48pm On Nov 14, 2012
To the christians who are quick to see the speck in another's eye but fail to see the log in their's, have your read the bible lately?
Did you fail to see the various contradictions therein?
Or are you just being a hypocrite?
There is an Outsiders Test for faith developed by John Loftus
When believers criticize the other faiths they reject, they use reason and science to do so. They assume these other religions have the burden of proof. They assume human not divine authors to their holy book(s). They assume a human not a divine origin to their faiths.

Believers do this when rejecting other faiths. So dispensing all of the red herrings about morality and a non-material universe, the OTF simply asks believers to do unto their own faith what they do unto other faiths. All it asks of them is to be consistent.

The OTF asks why believers operate on a double standard. If that's how they reject other faiths then they should apply that same standard to their own. Let reason and science rather than faith be their guide. Assume your own faith has the burden of proof. Assume human rather than divine authors to your holy book(s) and see what you get. If there is a divine author behind the texts it should be known even with that initial skeptical assumption.

So the OTF uses the exact same standard that believers use when rejecting other religions. If there is any inconsistency at all it is not with the OTF. It is how believers assess truth claims. For it should only take a moment’s thought to realize that if there is a God who wants people born into different religious cultures to believe, who are outsiders, then that religious faith SHOULD pass the OTF.

If Christians want to reject the OTF then either they must admit they have a double standard for examining religious faiths, one for their own faith and a different one for others, or their faith was not made to pass the OTF in the first place. In either case all of their arguments against the OTF are based on red herrings, special pleading, begging the question, the denigrating science, and an ignorance that I can only attribute to delusional blindness.
Re: For Muslims: Contradictions In The Quran by Nobody: 10:00pm On Nov 14, 2012
honeychild: For our muslim friends who are fond of Bible bashing, I would like to give them a dose of their own medicine grin. Please can you explain the Quran's contradictory answers to the following questions:
1. WHAT SHOULD BE DONE TO INFIDELS? SHOULD YOU PREACH TO THEM OR DECAPITATE THEM?

Sura 3:20 - But if they dispute with thee say: I submit myself entirely to Allah and (so does) he who follows me. And say to those who have been given the book and the unlearned people: Do you submit, then indeed they follow the right way, and if they turn back, thy duty is only to deliver the message. And Allah is a seer of the servants.
Sura 10:99 - And if thy Lord had pleased all those who are in the earth would have believed. Will thou then force men till they are believers?
Sura 13:40 - Whether we let thee see part of that which we promised them or cause thee to die, t[b]hine is but the delivery of the message, and ours to call (them) to account.[/b]

Sura 9:5 - When the sacred months have passed, slay the idolaters, wherever you find them, and take them captive and besiege them and lie in wait for them in every ambush. But if they repent and keep up prayer and pay the poor rate, leave their way free. Surely Allah is forgiving, Merciful.
Sura 9:123- Oh you who believe, fight those of the disbelievers who are near to you and let them find firmness with you. And know that Allah is with those who keep their duty.

WAS JESUS KILLED OR NOT?
Sura 3:55 - When Allah said 'O Jesus, I will cause thee to die and exalt thee in my presence and clear thee of those who disbelieve and make those who follow thee above those who disbelieve to the day of Resurrection. Then to Me is your return, so I shall decide between you concerning that wherein you differ.

Sura 4:156,157 - And for their disbelief and for their uttering against Mary a grievous calumny: And for their saying we have killed the Messiah, Jesus Son of Mary, the messenger of Allah, and they killed him not, nor did they cause his death on the cross but he was made to them as such. And certainly those who differ therein are in doubt about it. They have no knowledge about it, but they killed him not for certain.

Sura 3:52 - But when Jesus perceived disbelief on their part, he said: Who will be my helpers in Allah's way? The disciples said: we are Allah's helpers. We believe in Allah and bear witness that we are submitting ones
Sura 3:62 - Abraham was not a jew nor a christian, but he was an upright (man) a Muslim, and he was not one of the polytheists.

Sura 6:14- Say: shall I take for a friend other than Allah, the Originator of the heavens and the earth and He feeds and is not fed? S[b]ay: I am commanded to be the first of those who submit
[/b]
Sura 6:162,163 - Say: My prayer and my sacrifice and my life and my death are surely for Allah - the Lord of the worlds, No associate has he. And thus I am commanded, and I am the first of those who submit.

So Muslim brethren, please turn out en-masse to defend your Holy Book. wink grin
You are getting it all wrong so no bases for any debate,just contradicting yourself.go to google and check for the meaning of the verses.thumbs up for your research,
Just try and do that.salam
Re: For Muslims: Contradictions In The Quran by Walexz02(m): 10:48pm On Nov 14, 2012
@honeychild abi wetin b ur name sef?
I did nt borther reading all what u quoted.
My advice: If u wanna learn and knw the Holy book(Qur'an) whch has never been revised(nothing comes in and nothing goes out of it) for over thousand years, go and seek for knoledge abt it. All verses of qur'an are nt supplied once and they ar nt supplied at a particular place, each verse is supplied in a particular place and according to a particular situation.
So, u dnt just skip-read the qur'an and stat running ur mouth ok?
It seems the bibles of now adays dt u guy read is disturbing u,ask ur pastors for the original bible(Injil)[nt d ones they hv modified to suit there lifestyle and taste] and u will understand wt the Qur'an is really saying.
*bottom line* seek for knowledge on what u dnt knw dnt just criticize.
Re: For Muslims: Contradictions In The Quran by jcross19: 10:58pm On Nov 14, 2012
they can't answer you because you have just open their ass

1 Like

Re: For Muslims: Contradictions In The Quran by ATMC(f): 11:18pm On Nov 14, 2012
Love makes you want to answer and teach one who you think is a minor in certain things and is asking some questions...but i doubt muslims have this agape love, clear my doubts by answering d op.
Re: For Muslims: Contradictions In The Quran by Nobody: 3:02am On Nov 15, 2012
jcross19: they can't answer you because you have just open their ass

lol

The break down of Judaism is to be blamed for the establishment of it's confused offspring: Christianity and Islam.
Re: For Muslims: Contradictions In The Quran by Nobody: 7:11am On Nov 15, 2012
Walexz02: @honeychild abi wetin b ur name sef?
I did nt borther reading all what u quoted.
My advice: If u wanna learn and knw the Holy book(Qur'an) whch has never been revised(nothing comes in and nothing goes out of it) for over thousand years, go and seek for knoledge abt it. All verses of qur'an are nt supplied once and they ar nt supplied at a particular place, each verse is supplied in a particular place and according to a particular situation.
So, u dnt just skip-read the qur'an and stat running ur mouth ok?
It seems the bibles of now adays dt u guy read is disturbing u,ask ur pastors for the original bible(Injil)[nt d ones they hv modified to suit there lifestyle and taste] and u will understand wt the Qur'an is really saying.
*bottom line* seek for knowledge on what u dnt knw dnt just criticize.
the quran has never being reverse yet you need the hadith and commentary to understand it.
Re: For Muslims: Contradictions In The Quran by honeychild(f): 7:22am On Nov 15, 2012
grin@zodiac61

Yu say believers should apply the same standard of proof to their faith that they apply to other faiths. Well that is just what I am asking Muslims to do.
All my life I have heard Muslims attack the Bible for its 'contradictions' and' errors.k' Because the #Quran was not widely availablke in a language we could understand, it was immune from scrutiny.

Thank God for Google! Now I can scrutinize the Quran with the same microscope Muslims have been using on theBible without any fear of starting a 'holy war'

So jama'a man up and doi what christians have been doinf for decades! Defend your faith without resorting to violencem.

2 Likes

Re: For Muslims: Contradictions In The Quran by LagosShia: 12:04pm On Nov 15, 2012
honeychild: For our muslim friends who are fond of Bible bashing, I would like to give them a dose of their own medicine grin. Please can you explain the Quran's contradictory answers to the following questions:

WAS JESUS KILLED OR NOT?

[/b]

Sweetheart, grin
There is no contradiction in the above instances you brought out.don't turn yourself into a clown.and secondly I can assure you that I've tried my best to spot a contradiction in the Quran myself and unlike the bible which is full of all sorts of errors and contradictions,the Quran has none!

And please don't ask me to waste my time to explain the instances you brought.christians have previously tried harder than the above and failed even on nairaland here.it surely would make you feel good about yourself by having a wet dream that there is contradiction in the Quran.

So I leave it up to you to think,rationalize and for yourself to explain and tell us why the instances you brought are not contradictory.tell us and prove you're not dumb!
Re: For Muslims: Contradictions In The Quran by honeychild(f): 9:06pm On Nov 15, 2012
honeychild:

WAS JESUS KILLED OR NOT?

Sura 4:156,157 - And for their disbelief and for their uttering against Mary a grievous calumny: And for their saying we have killed the Messiah, Jesus Son of Mary, the messenger of Allah, and they killed him not, nor did they cause his death on the cross but he was made to them as such. And certainly those who differ therein are in doubt about it. They have no knowledge about it, [b]but they killed him not for certain

@lagoshia
I have tried to the best of my ability and knowledge but I cannot for the life of me figure out how the above can be anything but a contradiction. It is either Allah caused Jesus to die and then resurrected him, or he substituted another for him.
Re: For Muslims: Contradictions In The Quran by LagosShia: 12:26am On Nov 16, 2012
honeychild:

@lagoshia
I have tried to the best of my ability and knowledge but I cannot for the life of me figure out how the above can be anything but a contradiction. It is either Allah caused Jesus to die and then resurrected him, or he substituted another for him.

Test of sincerity:

Copy the two respective verses verbatim and paste them,let us examine them.
Re: For Muslims: Contradictions In The Quran by Sweetnecta: 1:50am On Nov 16, 2012
@honeychild: 3 verse 55 says mutawafiika wa raafiuka wa muthahiiruka to mean take you and raise you to Myself and purify you.
so where did you you see or find your "cause you to die"? do you know the word for death or die or death in arabic? its mawt as in malaika mawt.

if you research the word for yourself before you take the ignorant path like your coreligionists that you are copying their work and opinion. i am not gonna bother myself with the issues on the other verses. the outcome will be just like the misrepresentation as you did on 3 verse 55.
Re: For Muslims: Contradictions In The Quran by honeychild(f): 5:34pm On Nov 16, 2012
[b][/b]@sweetnecta:
No, I do not speak Arabic. I do not know the Arabic word for death. But I do have English translations of the Quran, which I presume must have been made by Muslims who understand Arabic. Here are a few. I was quite amazed that there were so many different translations of the Quran!! Because as I recall n the past, that was another favouritre allegation the Muslims leveled against the Bible! Like I said earlier, thank b€god for /Googler:
Re: For Muslims: Contradictions In The Quran by honeychild(f): 6:20pm On Nov 16, 2012
So here are a few [/b]versions [b] shocked grin grin
3:55 - God said: O Jesus I am terminating your life and raising you to Me, and clearing you of those who disbelieve . And I will make those who follow you superior to those who disbelieve, until the day of Resurrection. Then to Me is your return, then I will judge between you regarding what you were disputing. - www.clearquran.com

3:55 -When Allah said [/b]O Jesus I will cause thee to die[b] and exalt thee in my presence and clear thee of those who disbelieve and make those who follow thee above those who disbelieve to the day of Recurrection. Then to Me is your return, so I shall decide between you concerning that wherein you differ. - English Translation of the Holy Quran by Maulana Muhammad Ali (www.aiil.org).
Re: For Muslims: Contradictions In The Quran by LagosShia: 8:12pm On Nov 16, 2012
^
This is very simple.

One verse is saying Jesus (as) was not killed through the alleged "crucifixion" but God saved him from that punishment.

In the other verse,God is telling Jesus (as) He is going to raise him up and cause him to die.that doesn't mean Jesus (as) was killed.now the word "muttawaffika" is translated as "to die" but also used in the Quran to describe us when at sleep.so whether it was physical death or a temporary state of unawareness like sleep,God knows best.

There is no contradiction because one verse speaks of Jesus (as) not been killed at the hands of men while the other describes how Jesus (as) was preserved and the state he was taken up to God.I hope this is helpful.
Re: For Muslims: Contradictions In The Quran by Walexz02(m): 9:57pm On Nov 16, 2012
^
Me dont tink she is ready to comprehend clearly wt u ar tryin to make her understand. The ignorance in her skull will nt let her.

2 Likes

Re: For Muslims: Contradictions In The Quran by LagosShia: 10:44pm On Nov 16, 2012
Walexz02: ^
Me dont tink she is ready to comprehend clearly wt u ar tryin to make her understand. The ignorance in her skull will nt let her.

grin
Re: For Muslims: Contradictions In The Quran by Sweetnecta: 1:46am On Nov 17, 2012
@honeychild:
by honeychild(f): 5:34pm On Nov 16
@sweetnecta:
No, I do not speak Arabic. I do not know the Arabic word for death. But I do have English translations of the Quran, which I presume must have been made by Muslims who understand Arabic. Here are a few. I was quite amazed that there were so many different translations of the Quran!! Because as I recall n the past, that was another favouritre allegation the Muslims leveled against the Bible! Like I said earlier, thank b€god for /Googler:
If you ask any muslim, he will tell you that Quran is in Arabic. Okay. if you ask a muslim, he will tell you that the Quran in Arabic is the Quran or at least the original Quran.

Do you have the same when it comes to the Bibles? Have you seen any original Bible? What Language is it in? Who was the original Bible revealed to? In the case of the Quran, we use the original to pray, even learning how to read it. You do not have any of these about the Bible. While every muslim must have seen an Original Quran and even able to recite something from it, you do not have this luxury when it comes to the Bible.

Finally, not all "Translation" is by Muslims which is the reason you may see the word "infidel" in stead of disbeliever.
Re: For Muslims: Contradictions In The Quran by LagosShia: 1:57am On Nov 17, 2012
There are many bible versions,with each version translated into many languages.

There are many translations of the Quran but no versions,as the original arabic Quran is the same everywhere.

Check this out to understand the difference between "version" and "translation":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZpLUw-5h0w
Re: For Muslims: Contradictions In The Quran by BetaThings: 3:31pm On Nov 17, 2012
The story of how the Bible was compiled is detailed in this book

Any serious christian who is concerned about the hereafter should be worried about the rejection and adoption of chapters in the Bible
Is is really a product of inspiration?

A Muslim who has any doubt in his mind should study the Qur'an more. There are deep answers to issues of this world and the hereafter. He needs to contemplate. He/she really has no alternative

http://invitetogod.com/dawah/components/com_booklibrary/ebooks/IzharulHaqMaulanaRahmathullahKairanvi-%5BInviteToGod.com%5D.pdf
Re: For Muslims: Contradictions In The Quran by honeychild(f): 5:08pm On Nov 18, 2012
Not all 'translations ' of the Quran say the same thing. For instance sura 3:55 that we are discussing reads as follows in a translation by Hillali and Khan: ......"I will take you and raise you to Myself...." (www.dar-us-salam.com) thus omitting any mention of Jesus dying, while most other translations make specific mention of Jesus death.: ....'I will cause you to die'...."I am terminating your life...

These are the kind of variations you find in the different Bible translations and you Muslims make a lot of hype about.
Re: For Muslims: Contradictions In The Quran by honeychild(f): 5:16pm On Nov 18, 2012
Then what about the beliefs expressed in some of your hadiths that the Quran you have now is not the complete Quran? That fully two thirds of your Holy Book is missing?
Re: For Muslims: Contradictions In The Quran by honeychild(f): 5:25pm On Nov 18, 2012
Sweetnecta: @honeychild: If you ask a muslim, he will tell you that the Quran in Arabic is the Quran or at least the original Quran.

Do you have the same when it comes to the Bibles? Have you seen any original Bible? What Language is it in? Who was the original bible revealed to?

I am sure you will agree with me that Quran in Arabic is not the very one that was put down in writing by the first Muslims after Muhammad died. No, they must be [/b]copies[b], even though they are written in the same language.

Similarly, we have [/b]copies[b] of the Bible, ancient manuscripts, some dating even back to the 2nd and 3rd centuries. Comparisons can (and have) been made, to the Bible translations we have today.
Re: For Muslims: Contradictions In The Quran by honeychild(f): 5:34pm On Nov 18, 2012
Sweetnecta: @honeychild:

Do you have the same when it comes to the Bibles? Have you seen any original Bible? What Language is it in? Who was the original Bible revealed to?

The original Bible was written in Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek. The books that make up the Bible were revealed at different times to different prophets including Moses, David, Solomon etc. The different prophets and other servants of God used in writing the Bible total 40 in number.

If I may ask you, in your opinion as a Muslim, at what point in time did this 'distortion' of the Bible take place?
Re: For Muslims: Contradictions In The Quran by Sweetnecta: 9:35pm On Nov 18, 2012
@Honeychild: what you have said about the Bibles is that there is no single language and prophet it was revealed, originally. but have you seen a single original bible in your entire life or have you known a person who have seen one or heard that anyone have seen one? if not, then know that what you have, ever, always is not the original because the earlier generations, probably as early as the generation of Paul lost the Bible be entering fallacious materials into the original; changing words and ideas and adding their own concepts and deleting the truth and of course the truth is no no more truelad

and as to when did you lose the original and it became corrupted or distorted, you can look at the bibles as see many dimensions that one can argue from; if you simple rely on the text, you will see Jeremiah telling us that the OT was corrupted by the scribes when they use their pen. if you look at NT, the mere disagreements of the 4 gospels and the lack of the gospel of Jesus is enough. but then we see what Paul added in materials which included his own "opinion" that no one told him.

in all, the Bibles being so many versions disagree with one another and since the disagreement continues just as version and revision till the end of time, you may need to ask yourself, when was there an original Bible? i am glad that this is the case with the Bibles because of many angles to it; the first is that proves Muhammad [sa] as a truth teller if you take the position that it was already corrupted before his arrival to the prophetic office. if you take that the corruption entered after the Quran, you also have to agree that he was a man of vision. but in both cases, Muhammad [sa] never said he was using hi own initiative, but that it was Revelation from God, so the corrupted Bibles proved that Muhammad [sa] was a prophet, prophesying correctly what the condition of Bible shall be. We have to agree that this was the sign of who is a prophet, the that prophet, the another comforter that must come after Jesus.

in less important but quite noteworthy is the fact that muslims can boldly dialogue with you by letting you know that as a christian, you will not agree with every bibles in print. this clearly shows that your position will be different from the position of every bibles. some you will definitely disagree with by ideas and or by even the books and textual contents.
Re: For Muslims: Contradictions In The Quran by honeychild(f): 10:58pm On Nov 18, 2012
@sweetnectar
The Bible is not one book. It is a collection of books. It was not all written at once. It was revealed to several prophets at different times. Later it was compiled into one.
As per being certain about when the distortion appended. If the Bible had already been distorted before Mohammed's time, why would he ask people who doubted his to confirm from the Books that were revealed before him.

AND I ASKED ABOUT HADITHS THAT EXPRESS THE OPINION THAT A MAJOR PART OF THE QURAN WAS LOST BECAUSE MOST OF THE PEOPLE WHO LEARNT IT BY HEART HAD DIED BEFORE IT WAS COMPILED INTO WRITING. YOU HAVE NOT ANSWERED THIS.
Re: For Muslims: Contradictions In The Quran by Sweetnecta: 11:57pm On Nov 18, 2012
@honeychild; if you are arguing that your bible is pure, then tell us the name, version and revision and or edition you are taking as pure? while you are making your choice, purse for a moment and reflect upon the other bibles you have rendered impure. tell us your reason of choice and your reason of rejection of the others. afterall, somebody will say what you rejected, one of them is his own pure bible while rejecting your pure as corrupted. if you are a catholic, the protestant bibles are incomplete. if you are a coptic, other bibles are not what you consider as bible in its purity. if you are an ethiopian christian, your bible is completely different. should i also mention the mormons, the 7th day adventists, the jehovah's witnesses among others, including the eastern orthodox groups; russians, greeks, etc? you see the kind of problem you are facing from your own book and groups that claim to have 100% authority of ownership?

as for those who you said doubted Muhammad [sa] to confirm with the books revealed before him, such a statement was not from Muhammad [sa]. if you know where it is in the hadith, then let me know. something that you might meant is what is from Allah in the Quran, mentioning a particular story that if Muhammad [sa] were to be in doubt of it, he should ask the people who had received revelations before the Quran in Madina about the story, not about the revelations and or stories in the Quran in general. What you failed to pay attention to in that very verse of the Quran is what did Muhammad [sa] do after the verse was revealed?

Muhammad [sa] didn't have any doubt and it was not reported that he went to ask the jews and or the christians in Madina. His case was even clearer in faith than Ibrahim's asking so that his heart is assured about how Allah makes living from death. Muhammad [sa] was told to have consciousness of Allah. Allah knows that he had the most consciousness about Him. This type of statements by Allah to His beloved Messenger [sa] helps the muslims to be humble and not be so puffed up, but express humility because God has guided us.

if you pay attention to hadith, there are fabricated, weak, to authentic hadith. such a hadith that expresses that any part of Quran is lost is absolutely fabricated, because Allah says in the Quran that He Personally shall safeguard the Purity and completeness of The Quran. if we go out of the Quran to examine the possibility of what you said the hadith have said about a portion of the Quran being lost because of death of most of those who have memorized it, it does not change the purity of what was finally compiled. if the Quran was not compiled, the community as a whole had it in them what is complete Quran. Quran is an oral document, a recitation.

however, since your concern is about what happened after the death of so many reciters, what remained of reciters and the rest of the community is that the community was forward thinking to safeguard the purity of the Quran, by the Mercy and Wisdom of Allah over them, so much so that they organized the "Book", The Quran as a single bonded document. the throughout the two compilation, the first as a single Book, the second as Books from the first Book, many with complete memorization were alive, you will then understand that the hadith is false, fabricated and weak. such a person who memorized the whole Quran was Ali bin Abitalib [ra], the 4th kalifah, while the last compilation was under the authority of the 3rd Kalifah, and the first compilation was under the 1st kalifah, just years after the death of the holy prophet [sa].

The first compilation was done using 5 manuscripts dictated by the prophet to the scribes along with reciters and the whole community acting as a double assurance or witness on each verse. it was after the 2nd compilation which used the first, the 5 manuscripts and reciters and the whole community in the way they were used in the 1st that you had the manuscripts burnt since what is available now is the standard and original of the original.
Re: For Muslims: Contradictions In The Quran by Zodiac61(m): 12:01am On Nov 19, 2012
honeychild: grin@zodiac61

Yu say believers should apply the same standard of proof to their faith that they apply to other faiths. Well that is just what I am asking Muslims to do.
All my life I have heard Muslims attack the Bible for its 'contradictions' and' errors.k' Because the #Quran was not widely availablke in a language we could understand, it was immune from scrutiny.

Thank God for Google! Now I can scrutinize the Quran with the same microscope Muslims have been using on theBible without any fear of starting a 'holy war'

So jama'a man up and doi what christians have been doinf for decades! Defend your faith without resorting to violencem.

I am not sure that I understand what you are asking me to do.
You see, I think that you are both deluded (christian and muslim).
Both your holy books are full of contradictions and nonsense.
You are as blind as each other.
Re: For Muslims: Contradictions In The Quran by LagosShia: 9:38am On Nov 19, 2012
honeychild:

The original Bible was written in Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek. The books that make up the Bible were revealed at different times to different prophets including Moses, David, Solomon etc. The different prophets and other servants of God used in writing the Bible total 40 in number.

Food for thought:

"Of the 24000 manuscripts of the bible available no two are identical"

-bible scholars.

If I may ask you, in your opinion as a Muslim, at what point in time did this 'distortion' of the Bible take place?

This is an irrelevant question because we definitely didn't living those times to take record.the important thing is we can identify the distortions,contradictions and errors presently.and those are not built on mistaken assumption as you claim or as you tried to confuse two separate verses of two separate incidents about Jesus (as) in the Quran.
Re: For Muslims: Contradictions In The Quran by LagosShia: 9:53am On Nov 19, 2012
honeychild: @sweetnectar
The Bible is not one book. It is a collection of books. It was not all written at once. It was revealed to several prophets at different times. Later it was compiled into one.
As per being certain about when the distortion appended. If the Bible had already been distorted before Mohammed's time, why would he ask people who doubted his to confirm from the Books that were revealed before him.

Does the Quran Require Christians to engage in Redaction Criticism?

James finds it incredible that the Quran would tell Christians to judge by the Gospel if indeed the Gospel is corrupted. The verse he refers to is as follows in the Yusuf Ali translation:

Let the people of the Gospel Judge by what Allah hath revealed therein. If any do fail to judge by (the light of) what Allah hath revealed they are (no better than) those who rebel. (Quran 5:47)

From this verse James argues as follows:
1. This verse approves of the Gospels as they are;
2. Muhammad who authored the Quran did not know the contents of the Gospels to realize that his own teachings contradict the Gospels; and
3. Muslims now seeing the contradiction between the Quran and the Gospels defend their faith by inventing the doctrine of biblical corruption.

In the first place, however, this verse does not approve of the Gospels as they are. It calls on Christians to judge not ‘by the Gospels’ but ‘by what God has revealed in the Gospel’. There is a difference between Gospel and Gospels. One is singular; the other plural. God taught the Gospel to Jesus, and we may presume that this is the Gospel that Jesus preached. Now in the Bible there are four Gospels which contradict each other on essential points. Obviously God did not reveal such contradictory statements in the Gospels.

Second, it is no secret now, nor was it a secret in the time of the Prophet, that the Gospels teach that Jesus is the Son of God. Yet the Quran says that this is an invented claim matching that of those who disbelieved of old:

The Jews call Uzair a son of Allah and the Christians call Christ the son of Allah. That is a saying from their mouths; (in this) they but imitate what the unbelievers of old used to say. Allah's curse be on them: how they are deluded away from the truth! (Quran 9:30)

Hence it is incorrect to say that Muhammad did not realize that the Quran contradicts the Gospels on this point.

Third, Muslims did not need to invent a doctrine of biblical corruption, because the errors in the Bible were already plain for everyone to see. Some early Church Fathers did acknowledge that the Bible contained errors. But later, the doctrine of the infallibility of the Bible became generally accepted after the Quranic revelation was already established. Therefore at the time of the Quranic revelation it was not necessary to go to great lengths to debunk the doctrine. The Quran mostly took a passive stance of merely correcting the narratives that are known from the Bible. On occasion, however, the Quran does make statements about the invention of scripture such as in the verse already cited, and in 2:79:
Then woe to those who write the Book with their own hands and then say: "This is from Allah" to traffic with it for a miserable price! Woe to them for what their hands do write and for the gain they make thereby. (Quran 2:79)

Redaction criticism is of course a highly developed aspect of modern Biblical studies. It would seem ridiculous to assert that the Quran was asking Christians in the seventh century to engage in an activity which will not become known until the twentieth century. But this does not mean that people at the time were naïve. Even at the time people could differentiate between what God revealed in the Scripture and what people invented without sanction from God.

At the time people could see that what Jesus preached was in many respects different from the later claims made about him. It was already obvious that the Gospel of John presented a highly developed Christology, for example, that could not be credited to the historical Jesus. People at the time could ask themselves, even if they did not do so before: Is not everything in the Scripture inspired by God? Why would anyone say, “Judge by what God has revealed therein”?

We should recall that at the time the Canon of the Eastern Syriac Christians was still being worked out. For a long time they had accepted only twenty-two of the now twenty-seven books that now make up the New Testament. Hence it would still be fresh in the minds of Christians that the inspiration of Bible is not self-evident, and needs some human judgment to accept or reject certain books.

At the time the Quran did charge believers with the responsibility of verifying news that came to them. Based on this principle Muslims soon developed elaborate measures to sift conflicting claims about what our prophet said, and did. This was their version of Redaction Criticism, even though they did not use this term. There is no reason to suppose that Christians were not capable of doing something similar which would eventually develop into full-blown redaction criticism.

But the fact that the Quran did not require seventh-century Christians to engage in Redaction Criticism with all its modern apparatuses does not mean that the Quran would excuse present-day folks from exercising their mental faculties. The Quran requires us to use our faculty of reason, and God will hold us responsible for that which we are capable. If the tools and thinking were not developed at the time people would not be responsible for applying it, but now that they are available we would be held responsible if we reject their use.

James’ Mention of Bart Ehrman

It is already evident to me from the Biola debate that mention of Bart Ehrman will not help to advance my point with James. In the Seattle Debate, therefore, I did not appeal to Bart Ehrman, proving my case instead either by (a) presenting the actual proof that leads to my conclusions, by ( citing scholars other than Bart Ehrman, or by doing both (a) and ( .

But the fact of Bart Ehrman’s importance in modern discourse on the Bible is also evident from the fact that James himself cannot seem to avoid mentioning him.

Aside from the recognition that this scholar must receive, however, James’ mention of him creates the very distraction I wished to avoid. If I had cited him James would have attacked him. I did not mention him and James is still attacking him while attempting to refute me. Why?

James needs to deal with the scholars whom I did cite in specific reference to Redaction Criticism, such as Scott McKnight, James Dunn, and Raymond Brown. But it seems that he is unable to attack these scholars, and he picks on Ehrman instead. Even if we do not like the man, is it fair to keep criticizing him like this? Moreover, even if this scholar is the worst devil around, how does James’ attack on him disprove my points which I supported with reference to McKnight, Dunn, and Brown whom James evidently does not dare attack in a similar fashion?

James’ Understanding of Redaction Criticism
James expresses the view that Bart Ehrman starts with the assumption that the synoptic Gospels are giving different views of Jesus. He asks why it should be necessary to assume that, whereas a more reasonable hypothesis would be that the various writers were addressing different audiences.

I am sorry to say that this manner of putting the matter does not demonstrate adequate knowledge of Redaction Criticism. The ‘assumption’ that the Gospels give different views of Jesus is not an assumption with which scholars such as Ehrman, McKnight and Dunn begin. Rather, it is the conclusion that comes from a careful examination of the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, and Luke. Of course this is now an inherited conclusion from previous generations of scholars who, having conducted such investigations found this conclusion unavoidable.

But even if one starts with the assumption that the writers were addressing different readers, a fair mind will be compelled, on examining the evidence, to conclude, all over again, that Matthew and Luke in using Mark have each in their own way modified the information about Jesus to make him conform to the writer’s own view of Jesus. In our debates I have shown clear evidence of an author modifying the facts of the story about Jesus, such as in the story of Jairus’ daughter. In this particular case James admitted that Matthew has telescoped the story; and I as I have pointed out, this gave Matthew the license to take what one man said and put in into the mouth of another man at a different point in the story.

http://shabirally.co, ne_of_oct23.php

AND I ASKED ABOUT HADITHS THAT EXPRESS THE OPINION THAT A MAJOR PART OF THE QURAN WAS LOST BECAUSE MOST OF THE PEOPLE WHO LEARNT IT BY HEART HAD DIED BEFORE IT WAS COMPILED INTO WRITING. YOU HAVE NOT ANSWERED THIS.

https://www.nairaland.com/99773/mohammed-plagiarism-other-stories/6#10077326

You will also find a link in the above thread,dispelling such allegations.
Re: For Muslims: Contradictions In The Quran by tbaba1234: 1:37pm On Nov 19, 2012
grin grin grin grin grin grin

what a joke...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Islamic Ruling On Castrating Animals / Can We Celebrate The Birthday Of Prophet Muhammad (maulud Nabiyy)? / Is Use Of Synthetic Weavons And Attachment Permissible In Islam?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.