Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,578 members, 7,861,750 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 06:33 PM

*new Major Mistakes We Make In English Language In Nigeria.. Contribute. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / *new Major Mistakes We Make In English Language In Nigeria.. Contribute. (562 Views)

Why You Should Be Really Worried If Your Are Not Making Mistakes / How To Identify And Learn From Your Mistakes / What Goals did u make In 2013 and how have u or still trying to achieve Them? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

*new Major Mistakes We Make In English Language In Nigeria.. Contribute. by Codedrock(m): 3:26pm On Jul 13, 2013
I tink lots of people will gain from this:- 1) my WAEC result*= i think "my WASCCE result" will be beta.
2) i do watch ENGLISH movies talking of naija movies o=* i do watch NOLLYWOOD movies. Cos english movies means movies done by people in england.
3)who is the ACTOR of the movie?*= who is the hero/main role of the movie.
4)I wanna buy a new JEAN*= it should be i wanna buy a new JEANS. Cos thats wat is all over naija now. JEANS IS JEANS no jean.
5)i want to (ASK HER OUT) and actually he is not asking her out on a date oh. Just trying to say i wanna express my feelings.. And i noticed this has become so rampant among we youths ASKING OUT is quiet different from approaching or expressing feelings.
6)they have TAKEN THE LIGHT or THE LIGHT IS GONE*= I think there is BLACKOUT will be better.

ADD YOURS BELOW AND LETS GAIN MORE.. And you may correct the ones up there with your own idea too
Admins pls frontpage..
Re: *new Major Mistakes We Make In English Language In Nigeria.. Contribute. by Damsman10(m): 3:40pm On Jul 13, 2013
1 of ma teachers afta evri class will say ''let it be on your brain''...smh.
Re: *new Major Mistakes We Make In English Language In Nigeria.. Contribute. by Nobody: 3:57pm On Jul 13, 2013
Language is dynamic, English is not an exception; it is also subject to variation due to geographical area, thus British and American English. The variety you are trying to modify above is 'Nigerian English'as it should be called, and i'm sure making corrections here won't make any difference.
Let's not forget that the most important thing is communication, and language is just a tool. Provided the next person understands what you want to say; it doesn't really matter how you say it. smiley
Re: *new Major Mistakes We Make In English Language In Nigeria.. Contribute. by mu2sa2: 4:00pm On Jul 13, 2013
Of recent (wrong) - of late, lately(right). Please expantiate(wrong) - i dont know why "expatiate" is mispelt and mispronounced:the correct pronunciation is " ix-pe-shi-et". Pure water (wrong) - satchet water(right); but you can say this satchet water contains pure water. Why do we say machine instead of motorcycle(motorbike for short)?

1 Like

Re: *new Major Mistakes We Make In English Language In Nigeria.. Contribute. by Nobody: 5:01pm On Jul 13, 2013
kiss cry kiss lipsrsealed
Re: *new Major Mistakes We Make In English Language In Nigeria.. Contribute. by Codedrock(m): 7:25pm On Jul 13, 2013
mitsaro: Language is dynamic, English is not an exception; it is also subject to variation due to geographical area, thus British and American English. The variety you are trying to modify above is 'Nigerian English'as it should be called, and i'm sure making corrections here won't make any difference.
Let's not forget that the most important thing is communication, and language is just a tool. Provided the next person understands what you want to say; it doesn't really matter how you say it. smiley
maam, english language is our official language.. And we 've gat pidgin too, so if you wanna express yourself anyhow as you said? I think pidgin would be beta, english is a universal language and if you wanna speak it? Speak it right.. We shouldnt let other people abuse us of ignorance.

(1) (Reply)

A Nairaland Wit P.nkwocha / Photos: Nigerians, Others Drown Attempting To Migrate To Italy! / To Seun & Other Mods- Help Needed With My Nairaland Account

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.