Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,187 members, 7,818,610 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:42 PM

Why Aren't Nigerian Women Respected? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Aren't Nigerian Women Respected? (987 Views)

Why Aren't Somali Woman In Hollywood???? / THROWBACK PICTURE: Nigerian Women Being Taught How To Wash Clothes In 1915 / Why Aren't There Any Successful Black Nations In The World? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Aren't Nigerian Women Respected? by yorubaamerican(m): 6:55pm On Jul 13, 2013
What's really going on? Why is it OK for only men to do certain things (cheat, drink, smoke, hold particular positions in society, and so on and so forth) in Nigeria?

When will Nigerian women stand up for themselves? Will they ever? Even the YOUNG ladies I meet seem to believe that "this is a man's world". They are taught from a very young age to stay in a woman's place, and many times they cite their religion as the cause of their submissive nature.

For lack of a better phrase, this "ish" makes me sick!
Re: Why Aren't Nigerian Women Respected? by Enegod(m): 8:08pm On Jul 13, 2013
ok..wish you quick recovery...
Re: Why Aren't Nigerian Women Respected? by Soliloqyofchaos: 8:16pm On Jul 13, 2013
First of all you are probably a female, second it disturbs me to see women always complaining about lack of respect when it comes to misbehaving. Dont complain about not being able to have sex with as many partners as possible or not being able to act outlandish in public. Complain about issues that are important like sexism in the workforce, education, and how women are objectified. All you accomplish by wishing you could commit the same atrocious acts that some men perform is attracting lowlifes and losing respect from good people.

2 Likes

Re: Why Aren't Nigerian Women Respected? by 419forlife: 10:11pm On Jul 13, 2013
get a new religious then. is that whats go on? reason crazy men who believe in islam and the 'lord' always seek a muffle dey women why? because religious tell them God is 'He' so then natural they go drink, cheat, smoke suppress women for society.

if u won do dem things do them but don do it cause a men do it. do dem cause u truly like to do dem. be bad cause u a natural bad one. don go be bad cause u see dem be bad no u go be a bad cause u are BAD.

dey try run some decent public service dem wouldnt got time for drink and cheat.
Re: Why Aren't Nigerian Women Respected? by Nobody: 10:56pm On Jul 14, 2013
Op, based on your handle, all I can say is that you're one deluded inferiority complex ridden-soul. What exactly is "Yoruba America"? I will promise you that those Nigerian ladies will think you need enlightenment.

Ain't nobody preventing you from having multiple sex partners, smoking, or even disgracing yourself. I'm sure you're now the most enlightened Nigeria woman just because you set foot in USA.

1 Like

Re: Why Aren't Nigerian Women Respected? by Horus(m): 12:21am On Jul 15, 2013
Why do you respect someone?. Because of their good qualities, isn't it? For example, positive qualities like honesty, wisdom, virtue, talents, good behavior and showing high moral standards. Have respect for yourself first before begging for respect.
Re: Why Aren't Nigerian Women Respected? by Nobody: 9:55am On Jul 15, 2013
YorubaAmerican
The height of Inferiority complex!
A Zimmerman will still shoot yo arzz up regardless...

On the topic, It's better you wait till you are old enough to understand what "respect" is before you ask questions of this nature.
Re: Why Aren't Nigerian Women Respected? by yorubaamerican(m): 10:00am On Jul 15, 2013
kwangi: YorubaAmerican
The height of Inferiority complex!
A Zimmerman will shoot yo arzz up regardless.

On the topic, It's better you wait till you are old enough to understand what "respect" is before you ask questions of this nature.

Thanks for your comment.

First of all, I'm a man, and I actually am Yoruba (my father is a Yoruba man) and American (my mother is African American, I could change it to YorubaPanAfrican!!)... so the joke is on you! Can you please explain what respect is?
Re: Why Aren't Nigerian Women Respected? by yorubaamerican(m): 10:05am On Jul 15, 2013
donedy: Op, based on your handle, all I can say is that you're one deluded inferiority complex ridden-soul. What exactly is "Yoruba America"? I will promise you that those Nigerian ladies will think you need enlightenment.

Ain't nobody preventing you from having multiple sex partners, smoking, or even disgracing yourself. I'm sure you're now the most enlightened Nigeria woman just because you set foot in USA.

This post isn't solely about multiple sex partners, smoking or "unlady like" behavior, you're missing the point. This is about men who think they're somehow above women. Furthermore, it's about all the things women are frowned at for doing, while men are celebrated.

Actually, I'm a man. And I didn't "set foot" in the USA the way your painting it out. Learn someone's history before you assume you know who they are, buddy.
Re: Why Aren't Nigerian Women Respected? by yorubaamerican(m): 10:08am On Jul 15, 2013
Horus: Why do you respect someone?. Because of their good qualities, isn't it? For example, positive qualities like honesty, wisdom, virtue, talents, good behavior and showing high moral standards. Have respect for yourself first before begging for respect.

"Begging"? Are you serious? I'm simply trying to understand more about Nigeria's male-dominated society, and why women seem to play along.
Re: Why Aren't Nigerian Women Respected? by yorubaamerican(m): 10:09am On Jul 15, 2013
Soliloqyofchaos: First of all you are probably a female, second it disturbs me to see women always complaining about lack of respect when it comes to misbehaving. Dont complain about not being able to have sex with as many partners as possible or not being able to act outlandish in public. Complain about issues that are important like sexism in the workforce, education, and how women are objectified. All you accomplish by wishing you could commit the same atrocious acts that some men perform is attracting lowlifes and losing respect from good people.

First of all, you're wrong about my gender.
Re: Why Aren't Nigerian Women Respected? by Nobody: 10:16am On Jul 15, 2013
yorubaamerican:

Thanks for your comment.

First of all, I'm a man, and I actually am Yoruba (my father is a Yoruba man) and American (my mother is African American, I could change it to YorubaPanAfrican!!)... so the joke is on you! Can you please explain what respect is, enlightened one?
Inferiority Complex na bad thing o!
Of course you can change YorubaAmerican to YorubaPanAfrican. Guilty conscience dey worry you.
The joke is truly on me.
Re: Why Aren't Nigerian Women Respected? by yorubaamerican(m): 10:17am On Jul 15, 2013
yorubaamerican:

Thanks for your comment.

First of all, I'm a man, and I actually am Yoruba (my father is a Yoruba man) and American (my mother is African American, I could change it to YorubaPanAfrican!!)... so the joke is on you! Can you please explain what respect is?
Re: Why Aren't Nigerian Women Respected? by yorubaamerican(m): 10:23am On Jul 15, 2013
kwangi: Inferiority Complex na bad thing o!
Of course you can change YorubaAmerican to YorubaPanAfrican. Guilty conscience dey worry you.
The joke is truly on me.

"Guilty conscience"? How so? You must explain. YOU have a problem with my identity, which you're trying to project on me. You're a sad case... I meet tons of posters like you through this medium. All of you are the same.
Re: Why Aren't Nigerian Women Respected? by angelbaby22(f): 10:25am On Jul 15, 2013
You respect those who respect themselves, simple.

1 Like

Re: Why Aren't Nigerian Women Respected? by angelbaby22(f): 10:29am On Jul 15, 2013
yorubaamerican:

"Guilty conscience"? How so? You must explain. YOU have a problem with my identity, which you're trying to project on me. You're a sad case... I meet tons of posters like you through this medium. All of you are the same.

I must agree there are a Ton of nigerian posters on here that get so envious and green eyed when a Brit or an American posts anything even if its nothing to do with identity if they get a whiff of foreign blood the jealousy creeps out. I've had it a few times on here but I don't care I'm proud not to be nigerian I'm British and that can't change. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Aren't Nigerian Women Respected? by yorubaamerican(m): 10:31am On Jul 15, 2013
angelbaby22:

I must agree there are a Ton of nigerian posters on here that get so envious and green eyed when a Brit or an American posts anything even if its nothing to do with identity if they get a whiff of foreign blood the jealousy creeps out. I've had it a few times on here but I don't care I'm proud not to be nigerian I'm British and that can't change. cheesy

Do you have at least one Nigerian parent?
Re: Why Aren't Nigerian Women Respected? by yorubaamerican(m): 10:33am On Jul 15, 2013
angelbaby22: You respect those who respect themselves, simple.

I can appreciate that but the Nigerian landscape is a bit different. When it all boils down, women get absolutely no respect.
Re: Why Aren't Nigerian Women Respected? by Nobody: 10:43am On Jul 15, 2013
See these children o.
Foreign Blood?
Wetin person no go hear?
TALES OF THE DISEASED MIND OF THE BLACKMAN.

1 Like

Re: Why Aren't Nigerian Women Respected? by MrsChima(f): 4:43am On Jul 16, 2013
Hmm.

(1) (Reply)

Nairalander With Gov Fayose During Presentation Of Staff Of Office To Hrh Alasa / As Seen In Onitsha (photos) / Ooni Of Ife And The New Olori Visit The Sultan Of Sokoto (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.