Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,286 members, 7,818,979 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:17 AM

Igbo Women: The Most Socially Empowered In Nigeria? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Women: The Most Socially Empowered In Nigeria? (8963 Views)

When Would Yoruba Men Start Marrying Igbo Women? / Beauty Of Igbo Women / Igbo Women And Social Status (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Women: The Most Socially Empowered In Nigeria? by bokohalal(m): 6:11pm On Aug 06, 2013
remark D: I wouldn't fault him on that because looking at the present day Nigeria.... which women have come to the fore from political, to socio-economic and religious or traditional spheres?

So when you look on the "surface" and what you see is one-sided... its not far-fetched to make the assumption he made... and he did leave it topen to learn/hear of others (ethnic women) as well....

Yes, its a bold statement to make, but its not, again, what they say is, far-fetched.

Has an Igbo woman been elected a senator yet?
Is there an Igbo woman church/ religious leader of note?
Can a married Igbo woman enter into a legal agreement without the consent or knowledge or participation of her husband? I remember Tonto Dike being called names on this site for condemning Igbo men and lack of independence for Igbo women.
Do not mention political appointees. Talk of women that have on their own led men,not just women,in history and modern times.
Talk about the modern woman that could on her own leave to live in Japan,Argentina,Australia or anywhere else without the parents or spouse sending her down there.
What percentage of Igbo women own landed property built from their sweat?
Let me stop.
Re: Igbo Women: The Most Socially Empowered In Nigeria? by remarkD(m): 7:15pm On Aug 06, 2013
I am glad you chose to stop....

I will ignore the fact that you were asking "back-handed" questions (obviously because you have certain women in your mind as the answers to your questions....) and present to you the sense or lack there-of in your questions:

1. Has an Igbo woman been elected a senator yet?

Yes. in 2011.
Senator Chris Anyanwu is a woman.
The first female senator is Franca Afegbua, by the way.
(If you are thinking it is Madam Tinubu. You really should venture out of the SW... )

2. Is there an Igbo woman church/ religious leader of note?

Well, depends what you mean "of note... "
There definitely wouldn't be one in the SW if that is what you mean by "of note" ...
But given the popularity of Catholicism in Igboland... naming names to you will not cut it for you since you don't know them... so my simple answer for you is ... "Yes, there are; lots."

3. Can a married Igbo woman enter into a legal agreement without the consent or knowledge or participation of her husband?

Again, the simple answer is "Yes, she can."
In the past, women were not "slaves" and trumped by their husbands in Igboland.... it was only in cultural rites that women were not allowed... for example, a woman "breaking kola" where men are... that was and I believe still is an abomination... even women in Igbo know and respect that.
So I really don't know where your impression comes from that a woman cant enter lega agreements on her own... Tonto Dike is now your source of Igbo traditions? and she told you women cant enter legal agreements on their own?

bokohalal:

Can a married Igbo woman enter into a legal agreement without the consent or knowledge or participation of her husband? I remember Tonto Dike being called names on this site for condemning Igbo men and lack of independence for Igbo women.
Do not mention political appointees. Talk of women that have on their own led men,not just women,in history and modern times.
Talk about the modern woman that could on her own leave to live in Japan,Argentina,Australia or anywhere else without the parents or spouse sending her down there.
Let me stop.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Women: The Most Socially Empowered In Nigeria? by remarkD(m): 7:55pm On Aug 06, 2013
Again, I am glad you stopped because your questions don't really help us analyze the topic at hand -how can you verify that whether Chioma went to Japan on her own accord and became a successful fashion & designer, medical doctor or importer/exporter is true or not?

At the same time, you can cook up your own stories that I may not be able to verify....

The only sensible thing you said is asking for women that have led men....
but before that, you want to shy away from political appointees... (while you earlier mentioned a senator as an "accomplishment"... isn't a senator a political position where the persons previous accomplishments doesn't matter? Orji Kalu won a political contest.. does that mean he has something upstairs? by contract, isn't a political appointment based on a person's resume?.... )

If you want women that have led men...

where do I start? .... is it with the lady that was the head of Nigerian Stock exchange...

or the former boss of NAFDAC that transformed that organization to the point that her life was being threatened left right and center...

If you don't want to talk of political appointments... how about we talk of women achievers....

each time Nigeria has been in the limelight of glory because of a woman's action....

shall we start from Chioma Ajunwa?

do we end with Ngozi Adichie?

or in between is it the name you dread to hear our able Minister whom before getting the "polical appointment" you don't want to be mentioined... was with World Bank and making waves...

If you don't mind, I will appreciate a few names from you that you feel are women achievers on a national or international level...

I know of the one that drove a car... great accomplishment... anyone else?

bokohalal:

Let me stop.

Re: Igbo Women: The Most Socially Empowered In Nigeria? by Abagworo(m): 10:50pm On Aug 06, 2013
bokohalal:

Let me stop.

1) As for religious leader of note, have you heard about Port Harcourt's "Mummy B". She preaches in Igbo most times with an English interpreter.

2) Senator Chris Anyanwu is a present Senator from Imo State

3) We've only had one female Governor in Nigeria and she's Igbo.

You don't need to beat about the bush to notice that majority of Nigerian beauty pageants are from the Igbo area. Probably 80% of contestants.

Like I wrote earlier, Igbos seem to accept cultural change very rapidly. Maybe in the past the women never wielded much power but in my area there existed the most powerful woman known as Ezemmiri which translates to "Queen of the water" and there are parts of Igboland where your hometown is your maternal as against the normal African paternal society.
Re: Igbo Women: The Most Socially Empowered In Nigeria? by remarkD(m): 3:33am On Aug 07, 2013
Did he run away? he typed all that stuff (fluff) and still didn't give us any name(s) besides insinuating Madam Tinubu as if rigging one's way into a political position can be considered a great thing in Nigeria.

I wish he gave more names though.... and that other dude on page 0 that mentioned Mrs. Kuti etc... is it only 3 names he could think of?

Should we conclude then by agreeing with the OP? that in Nigeria, Igbo women seem to be the most active and successful in all spheres of life? or lemme say in most/major worthy/admirable lol aspects of life....

Abagworo:

1) As for religious leader of note, have you heard about Port Harcourt's "Mummy B". She preaches in Igbo most times with an English interpreter.

You don't need to beat about the bush to notice that majority of Nigerian beauty pageants are from the Igbo area. Probably 80% of contestants.

Like I wrote earlier, Igbos seem to accept cultural change very rapidly. Maybe in the past the women never wielded much power but in my area there existed the most powerful woman known as Ezemmiri which translates to "Queen of the water" and there are parts of Igboland where your hometown is your maternal as against the normal African paternal society.
Re: Igbo Women: The Most Socially Empowered In Nigeria? by igbobuigbo: 4:46am On Aug 09, 2013
Igbo women are superior to Yoruba women-Femi Fani Kayode

I do not mean any offence to Nigerian women by asking the question that I am about to ask or by making the assertions that I am about to make in this note. However this is an important question that I have not been able to answer myself for a number of years even though I have tried my best to do so. And the question is as follows. What precisely is it about igbo women that has made them excel in public office, business, politics, the arts, the sciences, religion, leadership and social activism in just the last 12 years when compared to their counterparts from other parts of our country?

There are, of course, some equally notable and brilliant non-igbo women in our country as well who are doing, and have done, a great job in both our private and public sectors and who have also done great things in their local communities and in our nation. However when I ponder on this issue and I consider the names that are on my list of distinguished Nigerian women that have been outstanding in their various fields of endeavour over the last few years, the overwhelming majority of them are igbos. A few names will serve as an illustration of what I am trying to say and let me assure you that I have had the distinct honour and privilage of either knowing most of them quite well or working closely with at least a few, so I am speaking from an informed position. They are all well-educated, forceful, strong-willed, focused, creative, disciplined, passionate and decisive characters who are almost ''German-like'' in their work ethic and in their pursuit of excellence and perfection.

They really don't take any prisoners when it comes to their work or calling and they all do their jobs, or whatever it is that they are doing, with an almost ''messianic'' zeal. I am talking about people like Ngozie Okonjo-Iweala (the former Minister of Finance and former Minister of Foreign Affairs of Nigeria who is now the Managing Director of the World Bank), Obi Ezekwezile (the former Minister of Solid Minerals and former Minister of Education of Nigeria who is now the National Vice Charman of the World Bank), Dora Akinluyi (the former Director- General of NAFDAC and the former Minister of Information for Nigeria), Ndidi Okereke-Onyiuke (the former Director- General of the Nigerian Stock Exchange and the person that was credited with buliding it up literally from scratch), Roz Ben-Okagbue (a leading pro-democracy activist in Nigeria and one of the conveners and leaders of the Save Nigeria Group), Violet Yough (a successful, wealthy and well-respected industrialist and business woman of many years standing),

Stella Chinyelu Okoli (the Chief Executive and founder of Emzor Pharmaceutical, the most successful and largest indigenous pharmaceutical company in Nigeria), Irene Iroche (the Chief Executive of Finbank), the late Genevieve Onyuike (one of the most versatile and brilliant lawyers in Nigeria and the former President of the Oxford and Cambridge Club of Nigeria), Joy Ogwu (the former Minister of Foreign Affairs for Nigeria and presently the Nigerian Ambassador to the United Nations), Evelyn Oputu (the Chief Executive Officer of the Industrial Bank), Chimamanda Ngozie Adichie (a well respected and notable writer of international standing and repute and the author of the international best-seller titled ''Half A Yellow Sun''), the late Flora Nwapa (the poet, writer and essayist who was the author of the Nigerian bestseller titled ''Efuru''), Akachi Ezeigbo (a highly respected Professor of African Literature of international standing and repute) , Stella Oduah Ogiemwonyi (the founder and Chief Executive Officer of Sea Petroleum and Gas Group of Companies and who is one of the biggest players in the Nigerian oil and gas industry), Genevieve Nnaji (a leading Nigerian actress), Amaka Igwe (the respected film producer and director and a key figure in the Nigerian movie industry which is known as ''Nollywood'), Bishop Peace Okonkwo (the wife of Bishop Mike Okonkwo and the co-founder of The Redeemed Evangelical Mission TREM, one of the largest and most respected Pentecostal Churches in Nigeria), Arunma Oteh (the Director General of the Securities Exchange Commision) and so many others.

https://www.nairaland.com/965707/between-igboyoruba-other-women-femi
Re: Igbo Women: The Most Socially Empowered In Nigeria? by bokohalal(m): 1:13pm On Aug 09, 2013
There is a book by a non Bini woman extolling the social and economic independence of the traditional Edo woman and wishing all women in other societies could take a cue.
A BOOK. Not interview or newspaper columnist writeup. Said book was serialised sometime ago in The Vanguard Newspaper.
Will try to remember book's title.
At work. Have to go.
Re: Igbo Women: The Most Socially Empowered In Nigeria? by Abagworo(m): 8:57pm On Aug 09, 2013
bokohalal: There is a book by a non Bini woman extolling the social and economic independence of the traditional Edo woman and wishing all women in other societies could take a cue.
A BOOK. Not interview or newspaper columnist writeup. Said book was serialised sometime ago in The Vanguard Newspaper.
At work. Have to go.

The issue is that most things about Benin seem to be based on the past and not present. This discussion is about present. As Fani-Kayode took time out to mention those Igbo ladies in the past 12 years, could you mention Benin or any other non-Igbo part of Nigeria with such record? Maybe in 1500, 1950s, 1970s or when we were not born and not in this 21st century.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Women: The Most Socially Empowered In Nigeria? by bigfrancis21: 11:08pm On Aug 09, 2013
bokohalal: There is a book by a non Bini woman extolling the social and economic independence of the traditional Edo woman and wishing all women in other societies could take a cue.
At work. Have to go.

Please, name just 10 women shakers and movers of the Nigerian economy and nation of Edo origin? Don't run off mentioning Stella Oduah-Ogiemwonyi, because she definitely ain't Bini. grin

And yea...I don't mean 'married into Edo state' women. I mean Edo women by origin. tongue

I'm waiting...cheesy
Re: Igbo Women: The Most Socially Empowered In Nigeria? by bokohalal(m): 12:04am On Aug 10, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Please, name just 10 women shakers and movers of the Nigerian economy and nation of Edo origin? Don't run off mentioning Stella Oduah-Ogiemwonyi, because she definitely ain't Bini. grin

And yea...I don't mean 'married into Edo state' women. I mean Edo women by origin. tongue

I'm waiting...cheesy

We did that before and forumites agreed that Edo women trumped Igbo women and Edo men trumped Igbo men considering the population of Edos in comparison with Igbos which is like four million versus fifty million.

The truth remains that Edo women are more socially and economically mobile than their Igbo counterparts and many Igbos have alluded to that here when they had mistakenly thought Edowomen killed their husbands in order to inherit their property.
I can name contemporary Hausa women that are highfliers. It does not derogate from the fact that the traditional Hausa woman is expected to be a housewife.
Politics and tribalism is also a factor. Recently,Igbo political appointees have been disportionately filling vacancies with Igbos and many of you did not see anything wrong with it. In the future,some of this nepotistically appointed officials would be considered achievers!
In the traditional setting,the Edo woman has more freedom than any of its other Nigerian counterpart .
Some are even big gang leaders. Ask Igbo traders of Lagos Street,Benin City!
Most sponsor(ers!) are women. Igbos in Edo understand what I wrote.
The majority of small and medium scale contractors are Edo women.
Re: Igbo Women: The Most Socially Empowered In Nigeria? by bokohalal(m): 12:14am On Aug 10, 2013
Abagworo:

Sorry, I forgot Chris Anyanwu. One of my favourite Igbos.
Re: Igbo Women: The Most Socially Empowered In Nigeria? by OdenigboAroli(m): 2:11am On Aug 10, 2013
bokohalal:
Sorry, I forgot Chris Anyanwu. One of my favourite Igbos.

And Mrs Okadigbo and Mrs Joy Emordi; Emordi being a former senator from Anambra central. Okadigbo,the wife of the late former senate president is the current senator representing Anambra north. Igbo women are virtuous and that's why their men rarely marry from outside...Onyeoma nbu na obi na ife gi di m' mma ka ayi bilibe ndu ebisie ndu amalife aga eme chi....chei grin
Re: Igbo Women: The Most Socially Empowered In Nigeria? by bokohalal(m): 3:14am On Aug 10, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli:

And Mrs Okadigbo and Mrs Joy Emordi; Emordi being a former senator from Anambra central. Okadigbo,the wife of the late former senate president is the current senator representing Anambra north. Igbo women are virtuous and that's why their men rarely marry from outside...Onyeoma nbu na obi na ife gi di m' mma ka ayi bilibe ndu ebisie ndu amalife aga eme chi....chei grin

I think I understand ife gi di mma but translate everything. I do not want to think what I think it is.
Re: Igbo Women: The Most Socially Empowered In Nigeria? by bigfrancis21: 9:29am On Aug 10, 2013
bokohalal:

We did that before and forumites agreed that Edo women trumped Igbo women and Edo men trumped Igbo men considering the population of Edos in comparison with Igbos which is like four million versus fifty million.

[s]The truth remains that Edo women are more socially and economically mobile than their Igbo counterparts and many Igbos have alluded to that here when they had mistakenly thought Edowomen killed their husbands in order to inherit their property.
I can name contemporary Hausa women that are highfliers. It does not derogate from the fact that the traditional Hausa woman is expected to be a housewife.
Politics and tribalism is also a factor. Recently,Igbo political appointees have been disportionately filling vacancies with Igbos and many of you did not see anything wrong with it. In the future,some of this nepotistically appointed officials would be considered achievers!
In the traditional setting,the Edo woman has more freedom than any of its other Nigerian counterpart .
Some are even big gang leaders. Ask Igbo traders of Lagos Street,Benin City!
Most sponsor(ers!) are women. Igbos in Edo understand what I wrote.
The majority of small and medium scale contractors are Edo women.[/s]

@Bolded...that is so hilarious. Man, you must be living out of this world. grin grin

@Striking...pointless. Edo ke? grin grin When you make utter baseless statements like that, drop names. grin

By the way, I'm still waiting for just 10 names. Just 10. Is that so difficult for you to give? undecided My kid brother in secondary school could easily reel off the names of 15 prosperous Igbo women in the Nigerian society if you ask him now and now. Here's a full grown man who can't name just 10 from his Edo roots. How laughable.
Re: Igbo Women: The Most Socially Empowered In Nigeria? by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:57am On Aug 11, 2013
bokohalal:

I think I understand ife gi di mma but translate everything. I do not want to think what I think it is.

Anyway,that line was from Oliver de Coque's song...means..The one in my heart,everything about you pleases me. Let's live and enjoy life,today. And when tomorow comes, we will deal with it,separately. grin

I know its not related to the topic but it was an impulsive reaction grin
Re: Igbo Women: The Most Socially Empowered In Nigeria? by Kc3000: 4:16am On Aug 12, 2013
-In addition to aforementioned Chris Anyanwu, Mrs. Okadigbo, and Joy Emordi as recent Igbo female Senators, I'd also like to mention Nkechi Nwaogu who is currently serving and has been a senator since 2003, representing Abia central.

- I don't think this post is an affront to other ethnic groups, hence the OP had the decency to present the title as a question and invite others for debate.
Re: Igbo Women: The Most Socially Empowered In Nigeria? by bokohalal(m): 9:00am On Aug 15, 2013
Any one Nigerian market woman contributes more to the Nigerian economy than Okonjo-Iweila,Deziani and co.
Re: Igbo Women: The Most Socially Empowered In Nigeria? by pazienza(m): 6:19pm On Aug 16, 2013
bokohalal: Any one Nigerian market woman contributes more to the Nigerian economy than Okonjo-Iweila,Deziani and co.

Deziani is not igbo, she is an Ijaw woman,married to an Igbo man.
Re: Igbo Women: The Most Socially Empowered In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:33am On Oct 23, 2013
pazienza:

Deziani is not igbo, she is an Ijaw woman,married to an Igbo man.
And she speaks fluent Igbo. You didn't know some segments of south south speak fluent igbo? Go and study history.
Re: Igbo Women: The Most Socially Empowered In Nigeria? by Eburutu: 11:00am On May 09, 2016
Please can I correct who ever wrote the above article that Cross River State is NOT in Igbo land.
Re: Igbo Women: The Most Socially Empowered In Nigeria? by AjaanaOka(m): 12:31pm On May 09, 2016
Eburutu:
Please can I correct who ever wrote the above article that Cross River State is NOT in Igbo land.

Was it written anywhere in that article that Cross River State is in Igboland?
Re: Igbo Women: The Most Socially Empowered In Nigeria? by tpiah01: 3:02pm On May 09, 2016
I think I have to agree with the thread title.

They are very liberated and socially empowered.
Re: Igbo Women: The Most Socially Empowered In Nigeria? by tpiah01: 3:03pm On May 09, 2016
AjaanaOka:

Was is written anywhere in that article that Cross River State is in Igboland?

odumchi:

In certain societies, women were allowed to take titles or even enter secret societies, just like men. In the Cross River region of Igboland,

Re: Igbo Women: The Most Socially Empowered In Nigeria? by AjaanaOka(m): 4:17pm On May 09, 2016
tpiah01:

Clearly he misunderstood. 'Cross River region' does not mean 'Cross River State'.

The Igbo who live in the basin of the Cross River have been called 'Cross River Igbo' even before the creation of Cross River State. The Igbos so called include the Igbos of Arochukwu, Abiriba, Ohafia, Abam, Edda, etc in Abia and adjoining parts of Ebonyi States.

Similarly the Igbo who live in the Niger River Valley (in Anambra, Imo and Delta) are sometimes termed 'Niger Igbos'. So far no one has been misled into thinking that this is a suggestion that Niger State is in Igboland.
Re: Igbo Women: The Most Socially Empowered In Nigeria? by tpiah01: 4:20pm On May 09, 2016
Cross river could be anywhere (there's one in New York for example).

But generally, in Nigeria, anything mentioning Cross River is understood to mean Cross River state and is not used in reference to an Igbo presence.

Maybe it was in ancient times (you can post proof), but not aware of such, now.

Same way you are referring to a "Niger River Valley" which is unknown parlance in the Nigerian setting.

Here is the precise and correct definition of Niger River Valley:

Located in West Africa, this valley covers 7.5 percent of the continent and extends through ten countries: Guinea, Côte d'Ivoire (Ivory Coast), Mali, Burkina Faso, Algeria, Benin, Niger, Chad, Cameroon, and Nigeria. One of Africa's eight major river basins, the Niger River Valley follows the course of the Niger River, the largest and longest river in West Africa and the third-longest river on the African continent.

In 1859, abolitionist and emigration advocate Martin R. Delany traveled to Liberia and the Niger Valley in an effort to establish a free colony for American blacks; his written account of the expedition, the Official Report of the Niger Valley Exploring Party, was published in 1861.

http://www.inmotionaame.org/glossary/glossary_term.cfm;jsessionid=f8302823071462771093221?id=154&bhcp=1
Re: Igbo Women: The Most Socially Empowered In Nigeria? by AjaanaOka(m): 4:59pm On May 09, 2016
I didn't know this was in contest. Anybody who knows Igbo anthropology knows 'Cross River Igbo' is a term used to describe the section of the Igbo whose territory border the Cross River.

As early as the 1950s and '60s, anthropologists had categorised the Igbo into five:

Northern or Onitsha Igbo
Southern or Owerri Igbo
Western Igbo
Eastern or Cross River Igbo
Northeastern Igbo

http://www.opensourceguinea.org/2013/02/cyril-daryll-forde-and-g-i-jones-ibo.html?m=1

Some other classifications carve out a 6th category - Riverain or Niger Igbo - from the Western Igbo. https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=OEkFKm9lNioC&pg=PA3&lpg=PA3&dq=Riverain+Niger+Igbo&source=bl&ots=vJNq3b1Vre&sig=72vK8aoU4Hqc8GGKaZr1asdoqhQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwilrJTDrc3MAhXJDMAKHcY0D3YQ6AEICzAA#v=onepage&q=Riverain Niger Igbo&f=false

The OP is from the Cross River Igbo zone himself, and this isn't the only time he had used 'Cross River region' for his part of Igboland.

I really thought everyone knew about all this.
Re: Igbo Women: The Most Socially Empowered In Nigeria? by tpiah01: 5:37pm On May 09, 2016
Since the op made a point of emphasizing Cross River in reference to Igbo, it's obvious he wants a connection known or made between Cross River and Igbo even though Cross River is not considered an Igbo area in general.

He could have said Eastern Igbo and mentioned the groups he is referring to?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ijebu People - The Most Industrious Beings On Earth. Please Let's Get Together / University Of Nigeria Professor Of Arts Work Sells 11.4M at Ikoyi Auction! / Countries That Speak Igbo Languge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.