Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,228 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:26 AM

When To Choose Btw Rdbms And Non-rdbms? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / When To Choose Btw Rdbms And Non-rdbms? (717 Views)

How To Choose A Programming Language / Sir What Is Different Between Programmer And Non-programmer? / Architectural Differences Between Virtual And Non-Virtual Machines (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When To Choose Btw Rdbms And Non-rdbms? by dansmog(m): 7:06pm On Jul 16, 2013
Hi everyone, hope you had a great day?

There is this craze about non-rdbms. So i want to ask,

NB: that am not a back-end developer (but plan to learn that soon after mastering the front-end)

1.when do you choose to use either of this two?

2. How do you know that your web app is to be developed using either of the two?

3. Are nigerian developers embracing the use of non-RDBMS?

thank you, and waiting for you answers.
Re: When To Choose Btw Rdbms And Non-rdbms? by dellnet: 3:19am On Jul 18, 2013
I have not see non-rdms in a long time.
Re: When To Choose Btw Rdbms And Non-rdbms? by sarutobi: 8:20pm On Jul 18, 2013
when do you choose to use either of this two?

You choose a non rdbms if your data is non relational eg analysis of apache web server logs.
You choose it also when u dont need joins and transactions which typical rdbms provide
they are used in facebook for the messaging and chat.
In none rdbms parlance, each data is only unique with primary key. Eg mongoDB, couchDB, HBase, Casandra keep thier data as JSON. U are more like just fetching JSON. Nothing complex.

How do you know that your web app is to be developed using either of the two?

Honestly, you can develop any software with both. but of course stuffs like foreign keys, joins will have to be normalized for a non rdbms set up. Building some kind of applications might be difficult with non-rdbms eg. a social network. Most pple use them because of scale. These dbs were built to scale horizontaly, something Mysql is still struggling to do. Simple answer is if u are not Facebook, twitter, google etc, just stick with rdbms.

Are nigerian developers embracing the use of non-RDBMS?

I dont know, but the bigggest app here in nigeria is Nairaland But Nairaland itself is not big enuff to max out mysql.

My conclusion is non-rdbms was not meant to (and can neva) replace rdbms proper. The projects are still pretty young and need time to grow.

1 Like

Re: When To Choose Btw Rdbms And Non-rdbms? by dansmog(m): 11:29pm On Jul 18, 2013
thank you sarutobi..

Building some kind of
applications might be difficult with non-
rdbms eg. a social network.
that means social networks are easily developed when rdbms like Mysql is used.
Simple answer is if u are
not Facebook, twitter, google etc, just stick
with rdbms.
but this is saying otherwise.. Thank you once again.
Re: When To Choose Btw Rdbms And Non-rdbms? by Seun(m): 7:43am On Jul 19, 2013
You choose a non rdbms if your data is non relational eg analysis of apache web server logs.
There's nothing inherently non-relational about apache web server logs. It would make a lot of sense to parse apache server logs and load them into properly indexed database tables for analysis of the data using powerful & elegant SQL queries.

You choose it also when u dont need joins and transactions which typical rdbms provide
Decisions should not be made based on negative requirements. You may think you don't need transactions and joins, but what if it turns out that you need them after choosing a non-relational database? (from experience, this always happens)

I dont know, but the biggest app here in Nigeria is Nairaland But Nairaland itself is not big enuff to max out mysql.
Simple answer is if u are not Facebook, twitter, google etc, just stick with rdbms.
You've got that right, bro!
Re: When To Choose Btw Rdbms And Non-rdbms? by harryobas: 8:02am On Jul 22, 2013
If for example u are developing an application using object-oriented paradigm and u have pesistent objects u wish to save to a persistent storage mechanisim, u could opt for an object-oriented database rather than conventional RDBMS to avoid the problem of O/R mapping that is inherent with using a RDBMS.

(1) (Reply)

I Am A Learner, Please What Are Primary Keys And How Do I Create Then? / Help Needed ASAP / 50 Tutorials On How To Create An API & Why An API Is Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.