Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,723 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:55 PM

How To Choose A Programming Language - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How To Choose A Programming Language (3208 Views)

Astro Programming Language 0.2 (indefinite release) / I Need A Programming Pal To Learn Data Structure And Algorithm With / I Need A Programming Tutor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Choose A Programming Language by thewebcraft(m): 8:52pm On Aug 21, 2015
How you should choose a programming language: don’t. Wait . . . what about the high paying tech jobs and flexible work schedules out there? Isn’t this the best time to learn how to code? It is, and you should.

Many people are curious about learning to code, and, naturally, people want to know where to start. This leads to the which programming language should I choose hurdle. Choosing a programming language is an obstacle, because you probably don’t have the information necessary to make a good decision. As someone who has never written a line of code, you are throwing a dart at the board and hoping for the best.

I encourage you to think a little bit more about what you want to accomplish with code. Be specific. Getting a good job isn’t precise enough. After all, is a job good if it pays well but you hate it? Code is everywhere, and that means you have a lot of options.

Do you want to get a job building mobile apps? Did you read a bit about the Arduino and Raspberry Pi that sparked your interest? Are you a researcher who wants a little more command over your data? You can do a lot with code, and the opportunities continue to expand.

Once you take the time to think about what you want to do, build, study, etc. you can start thinking about which language to learn. Now, there are always options, and there will still be confusion—more on that later. However, languages have strengths or have been adopted more regularly in certain fields. This means that by picking a project or goal you have drastically reduced the number of targets on the dartboard.

I know I’m making it sound simple. It’s hard enough to decide what you want to do. Once you get a general idea, then it can become more confusing. Let’s say you want to work at building Web apps. Great, now you just Google the languages used to make Web apps, and then … you … you find a forum post that … OK … PHP seems popular … but Ruby also … well, this person with a TON of Twitter followers says … AHHHHH … FORGET IT!

People will tell you to learn JavaScript or PHP first, then someone will tell you that Python’s syntax is simpler and you should start with it. Then you’ll hear about Java and all the available jobs, plus Java is used for Android apps. It goes on and on. Picking a project to build or a career track helps narrow the search, but there’s a lot of confusion left.

So what to do? You could keep refining. Maybe there’s a company you want to work for. What are they using? You might get a general idea from stackshare, which is a site that shows the tech stack (the different pieces that come together to make the service you use) of many companies.

Some other beneficial resources include Stack Overflow and Reddit. Unfortunately, those forums can lead to some of the confusing answers mentioned earlier.

I suggest asking someone you trust. Go find someone in person. Attend a Meetup and ask the people working in the field what they recommend. You’ll find that people are much more willing to engage meaningfully in person. You can also ask the all-important follow-up questions much easier when face-to-face.

So, yes, research is your friend, but I don’t want you to go away feeling like you’ve been told to get help elsewhere. So here is a list of some general guidelines and information about some of the languages you will likely find in the wild.

My Oversimplified General Guidelines to save you some Googling

HTML/CSS:
People often begin by learning HTML and CSS. Why? These two languages are the essentials for creating static Web pages. HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) makes up all the text, links, and other content you see on a Web site. HTML is the language that structures a Web page. CSS is the language that makes what you see on a Web page look the way it does—color, layout, other visual niceties.

Why not just tell you to start with HTML and CSS? You may not be interested in creating content for the Web. As I said earlier, you can do a lot with coding, and the Web is just part of it. However, if you are interested in coding for the Web, definitely start with HTML and CSS.

JavaScript
JavaScript is a first programming language for many people. This is because it is the logical next step after learning HTML and CSS. JavaScript provides the behavior on a Web site. For example, when you see a form field turn red to indicate that you haven’t filled it out properly, that’s probably JavaScript at work.

JavaScript has become increasingly popular, and it now lives outside of the Web browser. You will be in a good place by learning JavaScript as it continues to become more popular and multi-purpose over time.

Java
Despite its name, Java is not really related to JavaScript in any meaningful way. JavaScript was named when Java was becoming popular. Some marketing minds of the time decided to confuse us all in an attempt to make the LiveScript language more popular by changing its name to JavaScript. Just remember that Java is not JavaScript.

Java is a widely used language that can be used for anything from Web applications to desktop and mobile applications. Java is the language of choice for developing Android applications, so it might be the right choice if you want to start making mobile apps.

Objective-C
Like Java, Objective-C can be used to write desktop applications and mobile apps. However, Objective-C is essentially Apple territory. Until the recent release of the Swift programming language, Objective-C was the language for developing native iPhone and iPad apps. Many major apps are still written in Objective-C (and will continue to be for quite a while), and programmers for these apps are in high-demand. If you want to work on iPhone and iPad apps for a larger company, it’s a good idea to learn Objective-C.

Swift
Swift was released in June of 2014 by Apple as a modern language for developing Mac Desktop applications and iPad, iPhone, and Apple Watch applications. If you want to get into the world of iOS, Swift is the the language with which Apple intends to move forward. Yes, many apps are already written in Objective-C, but Swift is here to stay.

PHP
PHP is one of the most popular Web languages. It runs massive sites and is used by heavy hitters such as Facebook and Etsy. PHP is also the language used to write WordPress and Drupal. Because of its popularity, learning PHP will serve you well if you intend to code for the Web.

Python
Python is a general-purpose language used for everything from server automation to data science. Python is a great language for beginners, because it is easy to read and understand. You can also do so many things with Python that it’s easy to stick with the language for quite a while before needing something else. Python finds itself at home both creating Web apps like Instagram and assisting researchers in making sense of their data.

Ruby
Ruby is often associated with the Rails framework that helped popularize it. Used widely among Web startups and big companies alike, Ruby and Rails jobs are pretty easy to come by. Ruby and Rails makes it easy to get an idea into a working application, and it has been used to bring us Twitter, GitHub, e.t.c.

Don’t Worry
Fear not, choosing a programming language may still seem overwhelming. It shouldn’t be, because you can’t go wrong. As long as you choose a language that is regularly used in tech today, you’ll be in a good place. When you are starting out, the goal is to become solid in the basics, and the basics are pretty similar across almost all modern programming languages.

Part of learning to code is learning a language’s syntax. A much bigger part of learning to code, the part that takes longer and gives you more headaches, is learning to problem solve like a programmer. You can learn the grammatical structure of the English language pretty quickly; however, it is not until you put that grammatical structure to use in a conversation that you truly understand the language. The same is true in programming. You want to learn the core concepts in order to solve problems. Doing this in one language is similar to doing it in another.

Because the core concepts are so similar from language to language, I recommend that whatever language you pick, you stick with it for a while.

There are still sticking points

No matter what you choose, it will be challenging at first. Stick with it. However, recognize when a sticking point is caused by the simple fact that you’re learning something new rather than the feeling that you aren’t interested in what you are creating. The benefits to picking a language and sticking with it for a bit have been true for me. But don’t forget the first point–do your best to pick a project or two that interests you.

The Takeaway

It’s a wonderful time to learn how to code. I have never been served poorly by trying to learn something. Don’t worry if you don’t like the language you picked. You haven’t wasted any time. Pick up, dust off, and on to the next one.

So good luck in your coding journey.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Choose A Programming Language by OldGist(m): 11:19am On Aug 24, 2015
Following since 1914
Re: How To Choose A Programming Language by phrezzz: 2:07pm On Sep 20, 2015
Wow this is Everything. Fam my brother cant thank you enough u deserve a medal. pls quick question my junior brother just gained admission into UNN to study comp sci. he wants to become a system analyst is he on the right part although he has interest in Website and App developement too what advice would u give him? his just 19years. Thank u
Re: How To Choose A Programming Language by thewebcraft(m): 12:05pm On Sep 21, 2015
phrezzz:
Wow this is Everything. Fam my brother cant thank you enough u deserve a medal. pls quick question my junior brother just gained admission into UNN to study comp sci. he wants to become a system analyst is he on the right part although he has interest in Website and App developement too what advice would u give him? his just 19years. Thank u
Yes he is, I also think he is on the right path but he should still find out time to learn some basic languages for web n App dev.
Re: How To Choose A Programming Language by thexzy(m): 11:03pm On Sep 23, 2015
Thanks a lot OP. But i have a little question for you, If you are to choose a programming language for your Son, Which will you prefer him to start with as a Starter and also a graduate of Electronic and communication Engineering and that will also assist him in getting a good job with cool pay? Thanks once again for ur advice
Re: How To Choose A Programming Language by acorntree(m): 6:28am On Sep 24, 2015
thexzy:
Thanks a lot OP. But i have a little question for you, If you are to choose a programming language for your Son, Which will you prefer him to start with as a Starter and also a graduate of Electronic and communication Engineering and that will also assist him in getting a good job with cool pay? Thanks once again for ur advice
you need to learn c language if you are interested in embedded system, e.g for microcontroller and microprocessor system development
Re: How To Choose A Programming Language by thexzy(m): 3:58pm On Sep 24, 2015
acorntree:

you need to learn c language if you are interested in embedded system, e.g for microcontroller and microprocessor system development
That is, C++ or C# language right? Coz I really need a program language that will really help me as an Electronic/Communication Engineer. Though have currently applied for M.ENG in Digital Electronics/Computers specialization for my Masters Degree Program and would soon kick-start. I just need what will suite me so very well and that won't give too much headache learning. Thanks
Re: How To Choose A Programming Language by hamdarquine: 9:31am On Dec 18, 2015
Find out on my blog
https://gbonjubeeblog./
Re: How To Choose A Programming Language by Dekatron(m): 6:49pm On Dec 18, 2015
thexzy:
That is, C++ or C# language right? Coz I really need a program language that will really help me as an Electronic/Communication Engineer. Though have currently applied for M.ENG in Digital Electronics/Computers specialization for my Masters Degree Program and would soon kick-start. I just need what will suite me so very well and that won't give too much headache learning. Thanks

C, c++ & C# are different. .

Though C++ looks like C, they serve diff purposes. . . They have similar syntaxes to some extent, can use the same IDE, are both OOPs, and use very similar algorithms, they are diff.

C# is largely for Microsoft Apps, C++, very complex programs-- Face recognition, voice recognition, those big big programs in films, and also. . . . Nuclear Reactors!! And I think power grids- Smart Power grids

C is mainly for embedded systems and electronics, Microcontroller & MicroProcessors. . . . Do you now understand sir?
Re: How To Choose A Programming Language by thexzy(m): 7:38am On Dec 19, 2015
Dekatron:

C, c++ & C# are different. .

Though C++ looks like C, they serve diff purposes. . . They have similar syntaxes to some extent, can use the same IDE, are both OOPs, and use very similar algorithms, they are diff.

C# is largely for Microsoft Apps, C++, very complex programs-- Face recognition, voice recognition, those big big programs in films, and also. . . . Nuclear Reactors!! And I think power grids- Smart Power grids

C is mainly for embedded systems and electronics, Microcontroller & MicroProcessors. . . . Do you now understand sir?
yeah, am clarified now. Thanks so much for the detailed explanation.... I really appreciate.
Re: How To Choose A Programming Language by daryur01(m): 3:16pm On Jan 28, 2021

(1) (Reply)

I Just Wrote What Might Be The Worst System Ever Programmed In This Country / Has Anyone Tried Out Windows 10? Pls Share Your Experience / Why Is C++ So Hard?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.