Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,179 members, 7,821,990 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:56 PM

Can A Contract Of Employment Be Legally Established Without Appointment Letter? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Can A Contract Of Employment Be Legally Established Without Appointment Letter? (2589 Views)

Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? / How To Succeed As A Contract Staff In Nigerian Banks / 90-Year-Old Asked To Bring 1950 Appointment Letter To Get Pension (Pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Contract Of Employment Be Legally Established Without Appointment Letter? by Everfrank(m): 1:54am On Jul 17, 2013
To the learned nairalanders. Please can an employer and employee relationship be legally established without appointment letter under the Nigerian law?
Re: Can A Contract Of Employment Be Legally Established Without Appointment Letter? by kasheemawo(m): 6:21am On Jul 17, 2013
I think the contract wil be binding after u must have collected ur appointment letter
Re: Can A Contract Of Employment Be Legally Established Without Appointment Letter? by marjo: 3:56pm On Jul 17, 2013
In contractual law, there is something called "offer" and "acceptance". It does not have to be written. Just the action of entering a bus to a destination is an offer to carry you there in consideration for a fee being the transport fare. The fact that you report somewhere every month and they pay you for work done shows that there is a "tacit" contract. However the labour law does state that an employee must be given a letter not later than 3 months from date of employment and this letters should cover all the salient points of the contract: date contract comes into force, salary, work hours, location of employment, etc This is because too often, people lack integrity and are wont to renege on agreements hence the law. where there is no letter either of you can end the contract with no strings attached and no legal consequences. Depending on your leverage in the relationship as well as its nature you should insist unless it is a job you want to be free to walk away from without hassles.

3 Likes

Re: Can A Contract Of Employment Be Legally Established Without Appointment Letter? by Nancyamakaeze: 1:41pm On Nov 19, 2013
I it i tink there is sth called 'offer', acceptance, consideration nd intend to create legally relation.
Re: Can A Contract Of Employment Be Legally Established Without Appointment Letter? by olawumia(m): 12:55am On Nov 21, 2013
@ all: according to Nigeria Labour section 7sub section 1,states that :not later Dan 3 months after d beginning of a worker period of employment with an employer, d employer SHALL GIVE TO THE WORKER A WRITTEN STATEMENT SPECIFYING:
A: name of d employer, addy,nature of d employment, (full staff of contact) rate of wages and time to be paid etc.
Back to d question its a must, any employer day fail to give EL within 3months breach contract of employment. Its must be in a written form Not Verbal. Note, I am not a lawyer Ooo
Re: Can A Contract Of Employment Be Legally Established Without Appointment Letter? by docchuks(m): 8:19pm On Dec 12, 2013
Well i think i might just know how to answer your question. check www.yahoo-mail.com.ng/contract-employment
Re: Can A Contract Of Employment Be Legally Established Without Appointment Letter? by babytejiri(m): 1:03pm On May 23, 2015

(1) (Reply)

I Want To Kill Myself / Chartered Institute Of Environmental And Public Health Management Of Nigeria / The Future Of Information Technology Career Vs Engineering

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.