Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,479 members, 7,819,748 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:09 PM

When Was Lagos Merged With The Southern Protectorate Of Nigeria? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / When Was Lagos Merged With The Southern Protectorate Of Nigeria? (2618 Views)

Christian And Islamic Studies Merged By Ministry Of Education, Nigerians React / JAMB 2014 IS Out#will 2013 Admitted Students Will B Merged Wit D New Ones? / We Merged Osun Schools To Improve Standard Of Education - Speaker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Was Lagos Merged With The Southern Protectorate Of Nigeria? by Gialmine(f): 6:13am On Jul 18, 2013
I used to believe that Lagos was merged with the protectorate of the Southern region in 1906 by Walter Edgerton.

I picked that same year when I did some History exam. But I was marked wrong! 1960 was said to be the right answer.

I tried using the web search engines but I couldn't get an actual answer.
Most website have 1906 while some others have 1960 as the year.

I'm kinda confused.
Please, which of the two is correct? And why do you think so/how do you know so?

Thanks.
Re: When Was Lagos Merged With The Southern Protectorate Of Nigeria? by lecturerdabo(m): 8:48am On Jul 18, 2013
DS
Re: When Was Lagos Merged With The Southern Protectorate Of Nigeria? by Gialmine(f): 9:54am On Jul 18, 2013
lecturerdabo: DS
Re: When Was Lagos Merged With The Southern Protectorate Of Nigeria? by Youngtekkey(m): 11:59am On Jul 18, 2013
based on findings i get to know it's 1906 by sir walter edgerton who was the then governor of southern region called niger coast protectorate before then lagos was a seperate colony,the southern protectorate had it's capital in calabar until 1906 when the colony of lagos and the southern protectorate were merged and lagos became the capital.hope i help......
Re: When Was Lagos Merged With The Southern Protectorate Of Nigeria? by debosky(m): 2:22pm On Jul 18, 2013
There were no protectorates in existence in 1960, so that is definitely the wrong answer. Protectorates ceased to exist once the amalgamation of 1914 occurred.
Re: When Was Lagos Merged With The Southern Protectorate Of Nigeria? by Gialmine(f): 3:24pm On Jul 18, 2013
Youngtekkey: based on findings i get to know it's 1906 by sir walter edgerton who was the then governor of southern region called niger coast protectorate before then lagos was a seperate colony,the southern protectorate had it's capital in calabar until 1906 when the colony of lagos and the southern protectorate were merged and lagos became the capital.hope i help......

TanQ...That's what I also know but seeing some other dates like 1914 ªϞd 1960 confused me.
Re: When Was Lagos Merged With The Southern Protectorate Of Nigeria? by Gialmine(f): 3:32pm On Jul 18, 2013
debosky: There were no protectorates in existence in 1960, so that is definitely the wrong answer. Protectorates ceased to exist once the amalgamation of 1914 occurred.

Wow...that's convincing enough. U are damn right! Thanks a million.

(1) (Reply)

After The Post-jamb Exam, Nsukka Opens A Pre-degree Programme / Curiosity: How And Why Did The Figures (419) Be Used To Mean "Scam", "Fraud"? / Am Studying Pure And Applied Physics, Where Can I Work?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.