Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,752 members, 7,817,082 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:52 AM

Sql "Select" With Vb.net - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Sql "Select" With Vb.net (1496 Views)

Android Application With Vb.net / Compute CGPA With Vb.net / Post Ur Vb 6.0 Questions Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sql "Select" With Vb.net by jboy01(m): 11:29am On Jul 18, 2013
pls pals, i am working on an e-votting application, but am getting a runtime error in my code.
the code is to compare the login password entered by the volter to the one on the database table.
this is my code.

Private Sub passbox_keydown(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.KeyEventArgs)
' CType(sender textbox).text
If e.KeyCode = Keys.Enter Then
Dim SqLConnection As MySqlConnection = New MySqlConnection()
Dim sqlcommand As New MySqlCommand
Dim connectionString As String = "Server=localhost; port=3306; User Id=root; Password=jboy;Database=fut_votting"
SqLConnection.ConnectionString = connectionString
' Using SQLConnection As New MySqlConnection(connectionString)
With sqlcommand
.CommandText = "SELECT names FROM student_data WHERE id=1 and password='" & passbox.Text & "'"
End With
Dim reder As MySqlDataReader = sqlcommand.ExecuteReader()
While reder.Read()
Dim mainform As New mainForm
mainform.Show()
Me.Dispose()
End While
' End Using
Try
SqLConnection.Open()
sqlcommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
Catch ex As MySqlException
MsgBox(ex.Message.ToString)
Finally
SqLConnection.Close()
End Try
End If
End Sub

but am getting a runtime error on the Dim reder As MySqlDataReader = sqlcommand.ExecuteReader().
what doo you think the problem is.
pls i need reply urgently.
thanks
Re: Sql "Select" With Vb.net by Nov1ce(m): 5:58pm On Jul 18, 2013
Try using this instead "Using reader As MySqlDataReader = command.ExecuteReader"
Re: Sql "Select" With Vb.net by jboy01(m): 8:13am On Jul 23, 2013
⌣»̶·̵̭̌·̵̭̌✽̤̈̊Ŧђɑ̤̥̈̊п̥̥̲̣̣̣kƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇̇✽̤̈̊·̵̭̌·̵̭̌«̶⌣
Re: Sql "Select" With Vb.net by uken73(m): 6:54pm On Jul 23, 2013
Your implementation approach does not seem to be the best. You are using a keydown event to handle the authentication. This will make the system to watch every key type event when you don't need those events. That is not efficient. A better approach will be to have a button maybe named login or connect and implement your authentication/database verification on the button click event. That could be something like;

Private Sub btnLogin_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnLogin.Click
Dim SqLConnection As MySqlConnection
Try
SqlConnection = New MySqlConnection()
Dim sqlcommand As New MySqlCommand
Dim connectionString As String = "Server=localhost; port=3306; User Id=root; Password=jboy;Database=fut_votting"
SqlConnection.ConnectionString = connectionString
With sqlcommand
.CommandText = "SELECT names FROM student_data WHERE id=1 and password='" & passbox.Text & "'"
End With

SqlConnection.Open()
Dim reder As MySqlDataReader = sqlcommand.ExecuteReader()
Dim reader As SqlDataReader

If reder.Read() Then
Dim mainform As New mainForm
mainform.Show()
Me.Dispose()
End If

' End Using
'sqlcommand.ExecuteNonQuery() ----Should not be necessary.
'Typically used if you are executing and update/delete statement
Catch ex As MySqlException
MsgBox(ex.Message.ToString)
Finally
SqlConnection.Close()
End Try
End Sub

Please Note: I usually program for a MS SQL Server database. I don't have the library for MySQL Server connection, hence, I havn't tested the above code. However, with my experience with the MS SQL Server library, there were some issues with your arrangements. For instance the point "Dim reder As MySqlDataReader = sqlcommand.ExecuteReader()" where you have the error message is comming before "SqLConnection.Open()" which opens a connection to the database. That should be the source of the error, and that line of code was not in your error handler section. The line "sqlcommand.ExecuteNonQuery()" is not necessary. "sqlcommand.ExecuteReader()" is similar statement to "sqlcommand.ExecuteNonQuery()", difference being that the former is used for a database query while the later is used for data update,insert or delete.

I hope that helps.
Re: Sql "Select" With Vb.net by jboy01(m): 9:56pm On Jul 23, 2013
thank you very much
Re: Sql "Select" With Vb.net by uken73(m): 11:33am On Jul 26, 2013
jboy01: thank you very much

jboy, I think you should state if your problem has been solved so that no one bothers to reply to this post anymore.
Re: Sql "Select" With Vb.net by jboy01(m): 9:43am On Jul 28, 2013
ok
the problem has been solved

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

350 Game Programming Tutorials Free (C/C++/Win32/OpenGL/Direct3D/C#) / My Personal Performance Test On PHP7 VS Facebook HHVM & New Features / Voting Is Here Again Boys, Follow The Instructions Below To Cast Your Vote

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.