Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,401 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:34 PM

Should South Africa Be Banned From Hosting The World Cup. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Should South Africa Be Banned From Hosting The World Cup. (3095 Views)

Poll: Should South Africa be banned from hosting the world cup?

yes: 52% (9 votes)
no: 29% (5 votes)
i dont care: 17% (3 votes)
other form of punishment.: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

Morocco Banned From 2017, 2019 AFCON, Fined $1million / Uyo Township Stadium Banned From Hosting Matches / Why Did India Get Banned From Football World Cup? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should South Africa Be Banned From Hosting The World Cup. by ZUBY77(m): 7:19pm On May 23, 2008
Today i heard a story on the Television where some Black Police Officers were standing and watching a helpless wounded Immigrant Die. They could have helped him to the hospital, Instead they stood there and watch him die. CNN cameras captured the incident. Fifa and the rest of the world watched that happen.
That raises the Security Question for the World cup. Since South Africa doesn't want People in their country,
Shouldn't Fifa strip them of the hosting rights.?

Source : Aw-sports
Re: Should South Africa Be Banned From Hosting The World Cup. by savanaha: 7:24pm On May 23, 2008
I and alot of my other friends have emailed FIFA at http://www.fifa.com/contact/validate.htmx to make them aware of these incidents. Some of my friends are not Africans but are wary of the bodily harm they might recieve upon going to South African after such Xenophobic occurences. I think others should write in and make FIFA aware.
Re: Should South Africa Be Banned From Hosting The World Cup. by manmustwac(m): 7:06pm On May 25, 2008
i was against South Africa holding the World Cup right from the start because of their very high crime rate. And i am convinced that if South Africa hold the competition at least at least two or three football fans will be killed due to mugging
Re: Should South Africa Be Banned From Hosting The World Cup. by obiem(m): 2:36pm On May 27, 2008
It's really sad to see how events have been unfolding in South Africa; first Reggae legend Lucky Dube gunned down during a car snatching scene, xenophobic attacks spring up all of a sudden, not forgetting the increasing and sporadic rate o crime and murder in major cities like Jo'burg, Capetown etc. Should FIFA now strip Africa of her first world cup hosting experience? I think it's too little too late for all that to happen, barely less than 24mths to the kick off and logically i don't expect FIFA to make any decision in a hurry. They should see how to work hand in hand with the government of the country to ensure that the competition is crises free. Hard task it is practically, though not is impossible,

Re: Should South Africa Be Banned From Hosting The World Cup. by akinalabi(m): 4:40pm On May 27, 2008
The tournament shouldnt have been awarded to them in
the first place. It was Blatter/Havelange's rotations policy
that got football into this mess.

It also got them into mess for the 2014 edition where Brazil
was unopposed.

Thank goodness the policy has been scapped.

It took the grace of New Zealander delegate (can't remember
his name now) to save us from Batterism in 2006 and the
tournament went deservedly to Germany.

I think the tournament should be taken away to a country with
ready facilities.
Re: Should South Africa Be Banned From Hosting The World Cup. by RSA(m): 3:39pm On May 29, 2008
Look I don't think that Nigerians have any influence in anything SA matters(except crime),look you people can talk,spin on your heads but you wont affect my Rand in any way,We won the right to host the world cup based on our influence,I am sorry that you've only realised how influential our country is.We are by far the biggest economy in Africa(with no oil ofcource),we are one of the biggest investors in Africa not just Nigeria,We are the USA of Africa.And there is no other country in Africa that CAN host the world cup other than RSA,THE world cup will be hosted in RSA in 2010 whether Nigeria boycott it(if you qualify) or not.
Re: Should South Africa Be Banned From Hosting The World Cup. by ayusman16(m): 4:34pm On May 29, 2008
We will boycott it!
Re: Should South Africa Be Banned From Hosting The World Cup. by tosinadeda: 4:40pm On May 29, 2008
RSA:

Look I don't think that Nigerians have any influence in anything SA matters(except crime),look you people can talk,spin on your heads but you wont affect my Rand in any way,We won the right to host the world cup based on our influence,I am sorry that you've only realised how influential our country is.We are by far the biggest economy in Africa(with no oil ofcource),we are one of the biggest investors in Africa not just Nigeria,We are the USA of Africa.And there is no other country in Africa that CAN host the world cup other than RSA,THE world cup will be hosted in RSA in 2010 whether Nigeria boycott it(if you qualify) or not.

stupidity!!!!!!!
we talking human lives and ure talking shit here¬!!!
who gives a Bleep if u won the rights or not?
bloody idiot.

if the miscreants can kill well known star like lucky dube then tell me why we shouldnt be scared.
slowpoke
Re: Should South Africa Be Banned From Hosting The World Cup. by ayusman16(m): 5:08pm On May 29, 2008
A bloody South African can kill their President and their whole cabinet members just to steal a Rand. Buncha lazy pricks. WHat do u xpect, when na our money them dey steal home to develop their useless country.
Re: Should South Africa Be Banned From Hosting The World Cup. by skfa1: 11:26pm On Jun 01, 2008
RSA:

Hi pal, I dont expect you to be talking like this, are you not from African?

"We are the USA of Africa" what does that mean? Pls grow fast.

Pls dont chat chit about Nigeria, you gotta respect yourself.
Re: Should South Africa Be Banned From Hosting The World Cup. by manmustwac(m): 9:42pm On Jun 08, 2008
RSA:

The topic question is should South Africa be banned from hosting the world cup not whether South Africa has the strongest economy. And my opinion is YES! South Africa should be banned from hosting the World Cup coz what is currently happening now just proves that South Africa has a very high crime rate and the safety of footy fans cannot be guaranteed!
Re: Should South Africa Be Banned From Hosting The World Cup. by RSA(m): 8:02am On Jun 09, 2008
Like I said in my previous posting that you people have no influence in anything,please Nigeria boycott we might win world cup just like in 96 when you where banned from coming here,I simply say we dont really care if you boycoot or not.who need Nigeria when Brasil,argentina,germany,cameroon,egypt,ghana and ect, are coming.Please stop acting like civilised people.
Re: Should South Africa Be Banned From Hosting The World Cup. by ayusman16(m): 8:20am On Jun 09, 2008
@RSA, i can see that u woke up drunk with foolishness again. What do u guys av? When ur stupid economy is dependent on our money gotten by ur coys based in Ngr? Do u think u guys would be anywhere without the help of the whites? So u better hush before we send ur coys packing so dat ur stupid economy could crash!
Re: Should South Africa Be Banned From Hosting The World Cup. by RSA(m): 1:35pm On Jun 09, 2008
ayusman16:

@RSA, i can see that u woke up drunk with foolishness again. What do u guys av? When your stupid economy is dependent on our money gotten by your coys based in Ngr? Do u think u guys would be anywhere without the help of the whites? So u better hush before we send your coys packing so that your stupid economy could crash!

Our economy depend on your economy? I think you should get your facts right.go do a research on RSA economy and tell me how we as South African depend on your money.Yes white South African control the economy in my country but that is the deal we had with them,currently skills are transfer in south africa at a normal/realistic pace(we are thinking ahead), goverment has legislations that will make that possible.Like I said you people have no influence at all,you've got oil but who is drilling it? white(worse americans and europeans)or is petrol cheaper in Nigeria?.I think the question that you should be asking is who is controling Nigerians economy? because you are not.RSA companies started investing in your coutry only 10 years ago and what was happing prior to that?
Re: Should South Africa Be Banned From Hosting The World Cup. by chuckdee4(m): 4:18pm On Jun 09, 2008
@ RSA

ur obviously a daft retard cos u can't read and understand a basic thread, what has ur economy got to do with u guys getting banned from hosting the world cup, i really feel for ur country, if u are an average south african then ur nation must be a herd of morons.

We're talking about a human life here, us Nigerians aint saints but we're not as lazy and ruthless as ur useless citizens.
You boast of such a fantastic econmy yet ur lazy citizens rob people like they are poverty stricken, take a page from our book and learn how to hustle even when the odds are stacked against u
Re: Should South Africa Be Banned From Hosting The World Cup. by biggjoe(m): 5:48pm On Jun 09, 2008
@RSA
it isnt just about what the recent xenophobic killings exposed. Its about South Africa being safe enough for FIFA event like world Cup.
You and I know how unsafe your country is when there is no world cup, what then do you think will happen when there are visitors who will naturally become targets of those criminals.

In my opinion, I think South Africa is very unsafe for world cup. Not because of xenophobia but for insecurity.

I know it makes one feel very bad when a group of people are condemned along with a few among them that are really bad and im not saying that all South Africans are bad.

Its just that there are very many bad guys in South Africa even though your people will always like to say they are Nigerians. For example, its only in South Africa that there are many black serial killers, that is not common, even in the US.
There are bad guys in here too but even with our huge population, our crime rate can never be compared with that of South Africa.

South Africa is not safe for world cup, thats my opinion and FIFA should do something about it now even if it means tagging the competition South Africa 2010 and Hosting it in Mozambique.
Its still in Southern Africa but on a safer ground.

What do u think guys.
Re: Should South Africa Be Banned From Hosting The World Cup. by RSA(m): 8:06am On Jun 10, 2008
This are the figures from Stastic South Africa of visitors to our country.

http://www.statssa.gov.za/PublicationsHTML/Report-03-51-022003/html/Report-03-51-022003_7.html?gInitialPosX=10px&gInitialPosY=10px&gZoomValue=100

Or open the attachement,l THINK the different between our two nation is we report every evil no matter how small that is happening in our society.Our papers are fully independent.

Re: Should South Africa Be Banned From Hosting The World Cup. by Fadajasi(m): 9:35am On Jun 10, 2008
A SA gf just told me now sa sucks,can u imagine
Re: Should South Africa Be Banned From Hosting The World Cup. by Jairzinho(m): 9:46am On Jun 10, 2008
ZUBY77:

Today i heard a story on the Television where some Black Police Officers were standing and watching a helpless wounded Immigrant Die. They could have helped him to the hospital, Instead they stood there and watch him die. CNN cameras captured the incident. Fifa and the rest of the world watched that happen.
That raises the Security Question for the World cup. Since South Africa doesn't want People in their country,
Shouldn't Fifa strip them of the hosting rights.?

Source : Aw-sports

The word is 'barred' NOT 'banned'?
Cheers
Re: Should South Africa Be Banned From Hosting The World Cup. by malaza: 9:50am On Jun 10, 2008
Hello Naija, gimme a warm/cold welcome. Its your boy Malaza( a SA'can) cool. I must say this topic caught my eye, i am always interested to see/read/hear what the world says about SA. I must tell you all that the world cup is going to be safe for those who play safe. You can't come here and walk around as if you own this country even we SA'cans don't do that. Every country has its no go ereas at certain times(i think in Naija the no go area in Niger delta, unless you want to be kidnapped). We have had incidents free games before and i think FIFA also took the matter of safety when they awarded us the rights. Show luv Africa, you are the theatre and we are the stage. RSA ntja mme how a you? smiley.
Re: Should South Africa Be Banned From Hosting The World Cup. by chuckdee4(m): 10:17am On Jun 10, 2008
malaza:

Hello Naija, gimme a warm/cold welcome. Its your boy Malaza( a SA'can) cool. I must say this topic caught my eye, i am always interested to see/read/hear what the world says about SA. I must tell you all that the world cup is going to be safe for those who play safe. You can't come here and walk around as if you own this country even we SA'cans don't do that. Every country has its no go ereas at certain times(i think in Naija the no go area in Niger delta, unless you want to be kidnapped). We have had incidents free games before and i think FIFA also took the matter of safety when they awarded us the rights. Show love Africa, you are the theatre and we are the stage. RSA ntja mme how a you? smiley.

Thank God there is a reasonable S/African, i understand ur point but i think ur governemnet could do more or show more concern as to the issue of security in your country to show the world how ready they are to host this tournament
Re: Should South Africa Be Banned From Hosting The World Cup. by RSA(m): 10:22am On Jun 10, 2008
Malaza,we must defend our own,batho ba tletse ka makaka.Ke kgatetse ke rogiwa ke le 1.Welcome Mkhaya.
Re: Should South Africa Be Banned From Hosting The World Cup. by RSA(m): 10:29am On Jun 10, 2008
Jairzinho:

Cheers

Typical! embarassed
Re: Should South Africa Be Banned From Hosting The World Cup. by Nobody: 10:38am On Jun 10, 2008
No, S.A shouldn't be barred from hosting the World Cup. That'd be unfair. .

Cheers

You can't blame the writer  undecided lol. . .it's just that the latter is more pronounced on Nairaland than the former.  grin

I smell Mpele wink
Re: Should South Africa Be Banned From Hosting The World Cup. by RSA(m): 10:45am On Jun 10, 2008
Olowe,I can confirm that i am not Mpele.ask Mukina.
Re: Should South Africa Be Banned From Hosting The World Cup. by biggjoe(m): 10:50am On Jun 10, 2008
its not about grammar now,

its about the safety of your visitors, don't you even care about them.

@ Malaza, safe for those who play safe?
Is it not going to be better if people are given handouts at your airports and borders on how to play safe since one need to play safe in order to survive in your country.

Naija has no go Area for oil workers and its just there in a few regions of Niger delta. But we all know that everywhere in SA is unsafe; Pretoria, Joburg, PE, Capetown, Durban just everywhere. I watch 3rd degree on ETV and other news from SABC and theres always a chilling news for every day.

Lagos alone has about a quater of the whole SA population but what we Naija people call unsafe about Lagos will be a dream society for Joburg or anywhere in SA.

Someone said its because of the arms used during liberation struggle. Ya, it might be but remember we had ours here in Nigeria too but people don't go about killing brothers and sisters like you see in SA.
Re: Should South Africa Be Banned From Hosting The World Cup. by RSA(m): 11:07am On Jun 10, 2008
Bigjoe,if South Africa is that dangerous,why are more and more people risking their lives to come here including Nigerians?Now you sound ignorant,I bet you think there are gunshots everywhere you go and you pass dead body everywhere.Fifa must be stupid,two of the most violent countries will be hosting the world cup in succession,RSA-2010 AND Brasil-2014.

Take that o lerete! shocked
Re: Should South Africa Be Banned From Hosting The World Cup. by ayusman16(m): 11:15am On Jun 10, 2008
I am sure FIFA wants u guys to put ur country in order.
Re: Should South Africa Be Banned From Hosting The World Cup. by biggjoe(m): 12:15pm On Jun 10, 2008
RSA,
You might not know the number of your countrymen who are in Nigeria already. The reason is that they dont have to risk their lives to come in here. So they dont need to tell their stories.

Also, we accomodate people easily. I wonder why you think that people immigrate more to your country. Here in Naija, we have too many of them from Chad, Niger, Benin and Camerooun. The difference remains that we dont stop them. They are our neighbours and brothers.

We dont have names like 'kwere kwere' for them. They move about freely and undisturbed.

Thats the naija spirit. I think Ghana has it too.
Re: Should South Africa Be Banned From Hosting The World Cup. by malaza: 12:20pm On Jun 10, 2008
RSA you are right ntate, biggjoe is ignorant like most US citizen who think that in africa we live in living space with lions. Biggjoe,like RSA said ealier, here in SA we publicise everithing our crime starts included.( we don't hide them like other countries). The situation is not as bad as you make it to be that's why we are the biggest tourism destination in africa because those tourists know the real story. Let me tell you about the brothers and sisters that we are supposedly killing, this are the same people who crossed our border illegally, when we tried to tighten the borders and deport them you said we are cruel and forget easely.
The same people came without any identifacation, cudn't find any job, committed crime and became untraceable and what do you good people say? SA has a high and uncontrollable crime rate. Actually people what shud we do about the situation, what do you want from us . Oh i like the holland fans, i hope to see them in 2010.
Re: Should South Africa Be Banned From Hosting The World Cup. by biggjoe(m): 12:33pm On Jun 10, 2008
Malaza,
We watch your news and programs. Dont compare it wit what Americans think about Africa because they don't even watch our TV.

Most homes in Nigeria follows programs like Generations, Scandal, rythm city, 7de Laan and others more than some South Africans themselves, so we know a lot about your people.

Dont tell me that it is the immigrants that commit crimes in your country. We see their profiles too.

We just know too much about South Africa and we know its nothing to compare with Naija, crimewise.
Re: Should South Africa Be Banned From Hosting The World Cup. by RSA(m): 8:43am On Jun 11, 2008
Bigjoe,Since you know so much about SA more than us the locals,tell me was there killings before the one you saw on CNN in which immigrants and locals died,or is it something that has just started?
Let me tell you,it is well known fact that Mozambique and Zimbabwean organised criminals jump the border with a planned missions to rob,steals car and do cashheist in south Africa,locals knows this but authorities do nothing.Since this people are illegally in the country they go and hide in the squatter camps(poorest places in the country).The very same poor people are the one who revolted,they felt that the government has failed them.In 2004 one group of Zimbabwean robbers killed six south African police when they where tracked down,there are many stories which don't reach international media and generations.South Africans are tolerant people but they have their limits as-well.
The name makwerekwere came about in the 80ties,South African Unions where trying to put pressure on the apaartheid government,they down tool in all mines in south Africa,but the government went and recruited people from Mozambique,Zimbabwe,Malawi and other countries,locals started to have resentment for this foreigners,because they where undermining their efforts.Today in south Africa we have labour laws which protect unskilled labours,there is a minimum wage, that is above a living standard.But you know what is happening for the second time in our history,companies hire people from Zimbabwe,Mozambique and other countries so that they can pay them as little as possible not because they are hard workers.With 2010 lot of companies tried doing that and there where strikes country wide.We know the roots of crime in south africa and locals and police will root it out.And Iwill assure you that the world cup will be very safe in south africa,unless you go to Hillbrow(little lagos)

(1) (2) (Reply)

UCL:Manchester United (2) Vs Fc Porto (2) on Tuesday, 7th April / Two Nigerian Players In The NBA Finals / The Greatest Heavyweight That Never Was - Ike Ibeabuchi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.