Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,846 members, 7,810,260 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:20 AM

Husband Or Parents: Who Owns The Woman? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Husband Or Parents: Who Owns The Woman? (2839 Views)

Very Low-intellectual Youths In Nigeria: Who's To Blame-schools Or Parents? / Who Is The Rightful Owner Of The Breast? The Husband Or The Child. / Pastor Or Parents: Whose Decision Is Final On Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Husband Or Parents: Who Owns The Woman? by goodguy(m): 9:02am On May 25, 2006
When a woman eventually gets married, does she still belong to her parents - the ones who brought her into this world; or her husband - the one who paid the price to possess her?

PS. Pls forgive my use of English there. 'OWN' there is just to show who really can still say "She belongs to me".
Re: Husband Or Parents: Who Owns The Woman? by mamaput(f): 12:14pm On May 25, 2006
children are a gift from god .We do not own them.A husband can also not own a wife.
but by law if the wife is sick and cannot take a decision on her own then the husband has more rights than the parents.
There have been some populer cases of a Woman in coma or were the kept the woman alive till she had the baby.
In all it was always a fight between parents and husbabd
Re: Husband Or Parents: Who Owns The Woman? by Rhodalyn(f): 12:16pm On May 25, 2006
nope! from the very day a woman says ''i do'' to her husband, she becomes one with him, so from henceforth she's ''his'' not her family's
Re: Husband Or Parents: Who Owns The Woman? by hotangel2(f): 11:24pm On May 25, 2006
My husband can say he owns me. But i think my PARENTS STILL OWN ME.

When a woman is married, the husband technically becomes the one she'll do 'signings' with. That is, when she's the hospital, the doctors will ask, where's ur husband, not where r ur parents.

technically, the husband becomes the one who owns the woman, Cos they already said "i do", I do to "u r mine forever".

BUt for me oo, My dad (parents) still owns me. If some nuts lose in my husbands head, shey ill go back to my parents house.
Re: Husband Or Parents: Who Owns The Woman? by LadyB(f): 11:37am On May 26, 2006
husband owns the wife. wife owns the husband.
Re: Husband Or Parents: Who Owns The Woman? by IAH(f): 3:56pm On May 26, 2006
LadyB:

husband owns the wife. wife owns the husband.

Thank you. kiss
Before marriage, I belong to my parents. After marriage, I belong to my husband and he also belongs to me!!!
Re: Husband Or Parents: Who Owns The Woman? by kimba(m): 8:14pm On May 26, 2006
@goodguy
I think the word "own" should be properly defined in/out of the marriage context.

I would think of it as "allegiance, 1st responsibility" etc
Before marriage, a "wife" owes her parents her first allegiance and responsibility. And after marriage, she owes it to her husband and family. Same goes for the husband to the wife.

Usually, what causes problems in homes today is that the husband feels he is still "as bound as before" to his maternal family, even after marriage. He wants his wifes first allegiance, yet he can't detach himself from his family. The wife might seek a recourse to bring her own folks into the picture, and the the "clash of the inlaws begin".

I believe in "a man leaves his father and his mother,  a woman leaves her father and her mother, both the man and the woman come together and become one".

I'm not saying our parents become useless after marriage. Its just that one should put things in right perspective. When crucial decisions have to be taken, one should put his "immediate" family first. And until one's parents physically pass away, he/she doesnt cease to become a child to them, and so the love, respect and responsibility towards them must not be cut off.
Re: Husband Or Parents: Who Owns The Woman? by whoknoxluv(m): 2:08pm On May 29, 2006
To me the answer is the husband owns her by 65% and the parent 35% because the bible says;" a man and  shall leave their  parent and become one. But the parent owns the 35% because they bought her to live apart from that the husband owns her alive or died.
Re: Husband Or Parents: Who Owns The Woman? by Seun(m): 2:11pm On May 29, 2006
regardless of what the misguided husband or parents might think, the woman [b]owns herself [/b]100%.
Re: Husband Or Parents: Who Owns The Woman? by lauryn(f): 2:12pm On May 29, 2006
Thats right.
Re: Husband Or Parents: Who Owns The Woman? by WesleyanA(f): 2:14pm On May 29, 2006
Seun:

the woman [b]owns herself [/b]100%.

Word!!! cheesy
Re: Husband Or Parents: Who Owns The Woman? by mamaput(f): 2:39pm On May 29, 2006
Not if she is in coma or unconscious.
Re: Husband Or Parents: Who Owns The Woman? by WesleyanA(f): 3:01pm On May 29, 2006
the men goes in comas too don't they?
they actually go in it more often than women.
Re: Husband Or Parents: Who Owns The Woman? by lauryn(f): 3:02pm On May 29, 2006
If the woman goes in a coma, then i suppose the parents own her
Re: Husband Or Parents: Who Owns The Woman? by WesleyanA(f): 3:06pm On May 29, 2006
she still owns herself.
but people can take care of her wink
Re: Husband Or Parents: Who Owns The Woman? by mamaput(f): 3:10pm On May 29, 2006
Thats true but others take the dision over life and death.
My mum too was very sick real sick and in all the time she was sick it was others that took the decisions.Over her body and her property.
Re: Husband Or Parents: Who Owns The Woman? by WesleyanA(f): 3:14pm On May 29, 2006
was your mum happy about that? undecided

I wouldn't like anyone making decisions over my life and property when i'm still alive.

I own myself wink
Re: Husband Or Parents: Who Owns The Woman? by mamaput(f): 3:24pm On May 29, 2006
When i say sick i mean sick.
she ccould not walk , talk or communicate we do not even know if she still knew us.
The worst no doctor could find out what she had.Even they said maybe some sort of african posion they do not know of.
Re: Husband Or Parents: Who Owns The Woman? by eveseh(f): 3:30pm On May 29, 2006
LOL LOL,husband
Re: Husband Or Parents: Who Owns The Woman? by WesleyanA(f): 3:46pm On May 29, 2006
mamaput:

When i say sick i mean sick.
she ccould not walk , talk or communicate we do not even know if she still knew us.
The worst no doctor could find out what she had.Even they said maybe some sort of african posion they do not know of.

cry cry
that's sad.
so they decided over her life and property? that sounds kind of crude.

I hope you got a say since it's your mom.
and I hope she's better now.
Re: Husband Or Parents: Who Owns The Woman? by mamaput(f): 3:48pm On May 29, 2006
she has passed away after 17 years illness.
it was my dad that had the right  he desided over her property we the children over her because my dad let us bylaw he had all rights
Re: Husband Or Parents: Who Owns The Woman? by ono(m): 3:56pm On May 29, 2006
what sort of question is this one? They both (husband and wife) own each other. What has parents got to do with that?
Re: Husband Or Parents: Who Owns The Woman? by Seun(m): 7:06pm On May 29, 2006
If the wife is at a point where she can't function as a wife anymore, and the parents want custody of their child so they can take care of her, then any husband witha brain would let them take custody. They concieved her, nurtured her, raised her, educated her before you showed up. They deserve that last gesture of respect in such circumstances.
Re: Husband Or Parents: Who Owns The Woman? by goodguy(m): 7:13pm On May 29, 2006
ono:

What has parents got to do with that?
They brought her into the world.

Seun:

If the wife is at a point where she can't function as a wife anymore, and the parents want custody of their child so they can take care of her, then any husband witha brain would let them take custody. They concieved her, nurtured her, raised her, educated her before you showed up. They deserve that last gesture of respect in such circumstances.
So you're saying the parents have the upperhand in taking care of the woman's responsibilities?
Re: Husband Or Parents: Who Owns The Woman? by mamaput(f): 7:35pm On May 29, 2006
There was a case of a woman held alive by marschin the husband wanted them to keep the marschin on till the baby comes the parents not.
the woman was clinically dead.
Re: Husband Or Parents: Who Owns The Woman? by deniece(f): 6:41pm On May 31, 2006
no one owns the woman she has a mind of her own.

1 Like

Re: Husband Or Parents: Who Owns The Woman? by otokx(m): 9:22am On Jun 02, 2006
Neither
Re: Husband Or Parents: Who Owns The Woman? by babymine(f): 10:29am On Jun 02, 2006
Nobody owns anybody grin

But from my understanding of what you wrote, the husband does. smiley
Re: Husband Or Parents: Who Owns The Woman? by jaybaby(f): 8:16pm On Jun 10, 2006
WELL THE WIFE OWNS HERSELF- BUT WHEN IT COMES TO EMERGENCY HMMMMMMMM BOTH THE HUSBAND & PARENTS GET AM cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Husband Or Parents: Who Owns The Woman? by retro(f): 1:53pm On Jun 18, 2006
Nobody owns her. She's more attached to her husband but she's not an object to be 'owned'.
Re: Husband Or Parents: Who Owns The Woman? by jgirl3: 5:40pm On Jun 18, 2006
As for me - it is the parents.
When i get married i will become one with my husband - flesh of his flesh so then we belong to each other but my parents will always be there and for me since they were there from the beginning it is the parents that own me
Re: Husband Or Parents: Who Owns The Woman? by mukina2: 5:41pm On Jun 18, 2006
retro:

Nobody owns her. She's more attached to her husband but she's not an object to be 'owned'.

word i agree with u cuz women aint slaves to be owned or property

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help!!my Wife Is Driving Me Crazy / Do I Go After My Career Or Have Another Child / Would You Dissolve Your 33year Old Marriage Over This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.