Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,135 members, 7,829,055 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:14 PM

English Premier League 2013/2014: The Team With The Biggest Advantage? Arsenal!! - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / English Premier League 2013/2014: The Team With The Biggest Advantage? Arsenal!! (789 Views)

Cristiano Ronaldo Named UEFA's Best Player For 2013/2014 / Weekly 1.2.X - 2013/2014 English Season Football Pools Forecasts/Results / Nairaland Fantasy Premier League 2013/2014 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

English Premier League 2013/2014: The Team With The Biggest Advantage? Arsenal!! by toluernanes: 3:39pm On Jul 19, 2013
The start of a new season English Premier League is still over a month away but fans are already looking forward to it like it’s tomorrow. Transfers are being followed with almost the same intensity as the wait for the birth of a child in a maternity ward. Down here in Naija, of course, debates have already begun about who has the most chances of winning the premier league next season. As a Juventus and Serie A fan, this doesn’t really concern me; we’re looking pretty comfortable for a third consecutive title. However, I still decided to spare the matter some thought and, in spite of the fact that my opinion wasn’t quite widely received, i’m still going to state it anyway.

So why do I think that, of the top clubs, Arsenal have the biggest advantage going into 2013/2014? Just take a look at last season’s top four: Manchester United, Manchester City, Arsenal and Chelsea. Now, which of these clubs have made the least changes at a managerial level? Only one: Arsenal. All the other three find themselves with new managers which, in itself, is enough reason to see them slowing up this season. Manchester United have found themselves with a new manager for the first time in twenty six years. Now that will definitely tell, and, no matter how much David Moyes tries to keep things the way Sir Alex ran them, he will still run into a few problems. Not to talk of the pressure that follows succeeding the most successful manager in Premier League history. I expect United to have more than one bad game this coming season.

Jose Mourinho is quite familiar with the Premier League, so settling down shouldn’t be too difficult for him. However, last season at Real Madrid made the “Special One” look very unspecial at all. Not to talk of the fact that he would like to make a few changes of his own to Rafael Benitez’s side, changes that may take a bit of a while to take shape and pan out like a well oiled machine. Chelsea fans should be braced for one or two bumpy games.

Manchester City, IMO, are the worst hit by changes. Manuel Pellegrini has been appointed to replace the sacked Roberto Mancini and, I must say, you’ll be hard put to find two managers that are so different. While Mancini likes a rather controlled (quintessentially Italian) tactical approach to the game, Pellegrini’s style is much more free flowing and inventive (so I expect David Silva and Samir Nasri to feature prominently). Already, as a proof of the fact that the team is still trying to adapt to their new manager’s regime, City have lost two straight pre-season friendly matches….against South African sides! This alone has not a few City fans quaking in their boots. Not to talk of city having let go of Carlos Tevez, one of their more important players and game changers. City are bound to have a pretty rough honeymoon period.

Arsenal have kicked off preseason with two awesome victories, scoring seven goals in either match. Apparently, Olivier Giroud has been in pretty fine form and has been free scoring as well. They now have the most experienced premier league manager of the top four sides (also the oldest as regards duration of stay at the club). The entire team has played together for a few seasons now (bar one or two players), so gelling isn’t a problem either. Arsenal find themselves in pole position for the first time in…..well, quite a long while.

So will Arsenal make use of this advantage to win the Premier League?

Thanks to Arsene Wenger’s “Ijebu man” transfer policy, no. If anything, Arsenal might even find themselves hustling fourth spot with a quite improved Tottenham and, possibly, Liverpool. At this juncture, all Arsenal are missing are world class players and game changers. Right now, there’s not one player at Arsenal I can call world class. They’re all slightly above average and not of even up to half the quality required to win the Premier League. A limping Manchester United would stroll to the league title ahead of this Arsenal side. It is just simply shocking how Arsenal have gone from high profile transfer target to high profile transfer target this window without securing any of them at all. Other clubs have made brisk business with those they wish to acquire: Monaco with Falcao et all, PSG with Cavani, Juventus with Tevez and Llorente, Barcelona with Neymar, Real Madrid with Isco, Bayern Munich with Mario Gotze and potentially Thiago Alcantara, City have almost concluded a deal with Fiorentina for Jovetic who themselves have acquired Mario Gomez from Bayern. So far, all Arsenal have been able to acquire is Yaya Sanogo who, while i admit has looked pretty interesting to watch and can score goals, really isn’t what Arsenal need right now. What the heck is Arsene Wenger doing while all these players are moving over his head?!!!

My heart seriously goes out to all Arsenal fans!

http://tolusconvos.tk/sportiva/english-premier-league-20132014-the-team-with-the-biggest-advantage-arsenal/

(1) (Reply)

Everton V Chelsea Tomorow By 5.30pm / celta Vigo 4-3 FC Barcelona on 2nd October 2016 / Jose, Arsene, Ferguee,benitez, Who Is Better.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.