Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,481 members, 7,812,481 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:03 PM

What Is The Gospel? Was It A New Idea? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Gospel? Was It A New Idea? (671 Views)

5 Things To Avoid When Evangelizing/sharing The Gospel / Gospel Singer Sinach Is PREGNANT! (Photos) / The Gospel Of Barnabas(the True Forgotten Gospel) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Gospel? Was It A New Idea? by JesusisLord85: 12:30pm On Jul 22, 2013
The 'gospel' in not a new idea, and the launchpad for some new religion called 'Christianity'.
Deuteronomy 10:16 "Therefore circumcise the foreskin of your heart, and be stiffnecked no longer."

The gospel is indeed God's "instruction"/Torah, but it required faith.
The word 'stiffnecked' suggests that the people in question had no faith. Does Paul teach the gospel is new?

No. In Hebrews, Paul's talks about these same people, saying they received the Gospel but they did not mix it with faith. Start from Hebrews 3:7, and read on to 4:2.

4:2 itself says " For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it."

Deuteronomy 30:6 "And the Lord your God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your descendants, to love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, that you may live."

Now doesn't that sounds familiar? Paul did not teach anything that contradicted the Torah. If he did, that would make him a false teacher. Or what yardstick did the Bereans use to check this Paul was indeed true?

Faith in God and "doing" his commandments are inseperable brother.

The great thing about this Gospel is that you are saved by faith, and then the holy spirit will guide you to do what pleases God i.e. observe His commandments. Originally, gentiles had to go through a long proces to fully convert to Judaism. Even today, the 'conversion' process takes over a year.
The Gospel was now being preached to all pagan Gentiles in the world, and these new believers were coming directly into the faith of Israel through the Christ, no longer having to "come up through the ranks" of Judaism as Gentiles had before. This was a "new way" of doing things, but it was confirmed by God (15:8 ). As we know, it was difficult for many Jews to accept this "instant acceptance of Gentiles," as these converted pagans knew nothing of Torah and brought a lot of their former pagan practices with them. Once they accepted Jesus, the Council in fact required these Gentiles to follow certain minimal Torah commands (15:20) in order to fellowship with Jewish (and also other Gentile) believers who already knew and kept Torah. The council gave these basic Torah commands with the understanding that they would learn more of Moses' Torah as they attended Synagogue/Temple. (This is the meaning of Acts 15:21 as I have explained before) Peter's comment in verse 10 is pointing out that if God had commanded perfect Torah observance as a prerequisite to faith, then they all were in jeopardy, as none of them could keep it perfectly prior to faith.

Side note, the minimum commands given in Acts 15:20, are these not from Torah? You say you have no law to observe. Even these three, the church breaks on a regular basis.

But we know those that will enter into his rest.
Revelation 22:14 "Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city."

Shalom
Re: What Is The Gospel? Was It A New Idea? by Tgirl4real(f): 6:52pm On Aug 04, 2013
Thanks for this piece... May I ask which commandment we are to do now?

Educate me please.
Re: What Is The Gospel? Was It A New Idea? by Nobody: 6:57pm On Aug 04, 2013
The Gospel is the good news of the kingdom, the impending kingdom of GOD, Jesus came to herald this coming kingdom as it's king, warning that we should repent and partake of this kingdom as indestructible human beings, or we can remain in our sins and perish when he returns.

The Gospel has been twisted, misrepresented and almost nullified by the churches of MEN.

The good news is : The new age of peace and righteousness is upon us, repent and enter into the final rest of GOD.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Gospel? Was It A New Idea? by JesusisLord85: 7:12pm On Aug 04, 2013
Tgirl4real: Thanks for this piece... May I ask which commandment we are to do now?

Educate me please.

Firstly, I will reiterate, doing these do alone does not make one righteous. Must be mixed with true faith in Christ.

Hebrews 4:2 "For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it."

We should love God with all our heart. And we should love one another. This is the fulfillment of the law. When you have this heart, you will do that which pleases God, and treat your fellow man with love.
Sacrificial system is done away with. The people cannot tithe, for where are the Levites?

People say observing the laws is bondage. That amounts to blasphemy.
Romans 7:12 "Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good."

Funny how Christians obsevre pagan feasts e.g. easter, christmas, and yet, we are in bondage for observing the holy feasts of Leviticus 23
Re: What Is The Gospel? Was It A New Idea? by Tgirl4real(f): 8:43pm On Aug 04, 2013
You didn't answer my question Sir. But if I wanna deduce an ans from your response, I will say - what we are to do is to Love - Matt 22: 37-40, Roms 13:8, 1John4 and so many scriptures we see in the bible.
Re: What Is The Gospel? Was It A New Idea? by JesusisLord85: 8:49pm On Aug 04, 2013
Tgirl4real: You didn't answer my question Sir. But if I wanna deduce an ans from your response, I will say - what we are to do is to Love - Matt 22: 37-40, Roms 13:8, 1John4 and so many scriptures we see in the bible.

Yes. And to prove we love God, we obey his commandments, written in the Torah, which means (instructions).
Re: What Is The Gospel? Was It A New Idea? by shdemidemi(m): 9:13pm On Aug 04, 2013
What commandment/law is the law that came to condemn?

What commandment brought sin and death?

Is this commandment the same as the law of Christ that was preached apart from the law of Moses?
Re: What Is The Gospel? Was It A New Idea? by Tgirl4real(f): 11:09pm On Aug 04, 2013
JesusisLord85:

Yes. And to prove we love God, we obey his commandments, written in the Torah, which means (instructions).

OK. Which commandment exactly cos there so many instructoon?

BTW, still waiting for your response on your Yoruba thread and the rapture thread.
Re: What Is The Gospel? Was It A New Idea? by Nobody: 6:57am On Aug 12, 2013
JesusisLord85:

The people cannot tithe, for where are the Levites?
I agree that the Levitical priesthood was supported by the tithes of Israel because they did the service of God under the law. In the New Testament there is no longer any need for the Levitical priesthood as the whole system has been changed (Hebrews 7:11-12) but you need to understand that their equivalent is now the ministry in the New Testament church.

1 CORINTHIANS 9:7-11 (Paul)
7 Who goes to war any time at his own expense? who plants a vineyard, and does not eat of the fruit of it? or who feeds a flock, and does not drink of the milk of the flock?
8 Do I say these things as a man? or does not the law say the same also?
9 For it is written in the law of Moses, You shall not muzzle the mouth of the ox who treads out the corn. Does God take care for oxen?
10 Or does he say it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written: that he who ploughs should plough in hope; and that he who threshes in hope should be a partaker of his hope.
11 If we have sown to you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things?

GALATIANS 6:6 (Paul)

6 Let him who is being taught in the word share with him who teaches in all good things.

Just as under the law of Moses the Levites, who did the service of God in the tabernacle and the temple, received the tithes. so it is right for those who perform the ministry in the church to receive tithes, as it is written, "the labourer is worthy of his hire." (Luke 10:7).
Re: What Is The Gospel? Was It A New Idea? by PastorOluT(m): 7:37am On Aug 12, 2013
Love is the fulfillment of the law, for we have a new commandment and law.
In this dispensation the law is placed in our hearts and we need no longer any written code, for we are living epistles Hebrews 8:10-12; 10:16. Not that we dont do right anymore, but much more 'cos of the love of the father in us Matthew 5.

We dont follow rules/laws to be saved, but rather we are saved and live by the law of liberty which is tha law of the Spirit.

Stay blessed and remain rapturable
Re: What Is The Gospel? Was It A New Idea? by Nobody: 8:11am On Aug 12, 2013
Pastor Olu T: Love is the fulfillment of the law, for we have a new commandment and law.
In this dispensation the law is placed in our hearts and we need no longer any written code, for we are living epistles Hebrews 8:10-12; 10:16. Not that we dont do right anymore, but much more 'cos of the love of the father in us Matthew 5.

We dont follow rules/laws to be saved, but rather we are saved and live by the law of liberty which is tha law of the Spirit.

Stay blessed and remain rapturable
Yes, i very much agree but we follow the bible by the help of the Holy Spirit since it is our manual for living so as not to fall into error.

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.2 Timothy 3:16-17.

JOHN 14:15 (Jesus)
15 If you love me, keep my commandments.

1 JOHN 5:2-3
2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

[2 JOHN 5-6
5 And now I beseech you, lady, not as though I wrote a new commandment to you, but that which we had from the beginning, that we love one another.

6 And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as you have heard from the beginning, you should walk in it.

Note: Jesus taught us that the greatest commandments were to love God and our neighbour:

(Mark 12:30-31) "And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength: this is the first commandment.

And the second, which is like it, is this, You shall love your neighbour as yourself. There is no other commandment greater than these."

As God has commanded us to tithe (See LEVITICUS 27:30-34), and Jesus said that we ought to tithe (See MATTHEW 23:23), then we can see by these scriptures (1 John 5:2-3; 2 John 5-6) that the way we express our love for him is by being obedient. Jesus said it this way:

(John 14:21-24) "He who has my commandments, and keeps them, he it is who loves me: ... If a man loves me, he will keep my word: ... He who does not love me does not keep not my sayings: and the word which you hear is not mine, but the Father's who sent me."

According to Jesus' words, if we say that we love him, but do not pay our tithes, then we are a liar, and where would that leave our salvation?

(Revelation 21:8.) "all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone: which is the second death."

1 Like

Re: What Is The Gospel? Was It A New Idea? by PastorOluT(m): 8:35am On Aug 12, 2013
Bidam: Yes, i very much agree but we follow the bible by the help of the Holy Spirit since it is our manual for living so as not to fall into error.

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.2 Timothy 3:16-17.

JOHN 14:15 (Jesus)
15 If you love me, keep my commandments.

1 JOHN 5:2-3
2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

[2 JOHN 5-6
5 And now I beseech you, lady, not as though I wrote a new commandment to you, but that which we had from the beginning, that we love one another.

6 And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as you have heard from the beginning, you should walk in it.

Note: Jesus taught us that the greatest commandments were to love God and our neighbour:

(Mark 12:30-31) "And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength: this is the first commandment.

And the second, which is like it, is this, You shall love your neighbour as yourself. There is no other commandment greater than these."

As God has commanded us to tithe (See LEVITICUS 27:30-34), and Jesus said that we ought to tithe (See MATTHEW 23:23), then we can see by these scriptures (1 John 5:2-3; 2 John 5-6) that the way we express our love for him is by being obedient. Jesus said it this way:

(John 14:21-24) "He who has my commandments, and keeps them, he it is who loves me: ... If a man loves me, he will keep my word: ... He who does not love me does not keep not my sayings: and the word which you hear is not mine, but the Father's who sent me."

According to Jesus' words, if we say that we love him, but do not pay our tithes, then we are a liar, and where would that leave our salvation?

(Revelation 21:8.) "all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone: which is the second death."

Agree with u bro, but coming to the issue of tithing, I have been thinking of it seriously. Though I have a different ideas, why not we open a thread on it n look at it together indepthly. Though there are other threads on it, but i want to do a fresh study.

I dont believe its for the new testament believers, but I also dont think its wrong or a sin to pay tithe.
Re: What Is The Gospel? Was It A New Idea? by shdemidemi(m): 8:39am On Aug 12, 2013
^^^^following

(1) (Reply)

Pastor Ajanaku Is Dead / Pastor J Of God's House, Abuja Speak Up, Blasts And Confronts COZA Pastor / SOS Cameroon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.