Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,186 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:29 AM

Pls Help: How Do I Add This To A Web Page - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Pls Help: How Do I Add This To A Web Page (690 Views)

Please How Do I Add This To My Site / My First Basic Sign Up Web Page With Little Of Php / Stunning Web Page Wit Asp.net (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls Help: How Do I Add This To A Web Page by Dewze(m): 3:39pm On Jul 22, 2013
Pls guys how do I go about adding a field box onto a web page like the one circled in yellow(below). I am trying to build it on Joomla. Is it possible to do this on Joomla or what other software would you recommend I use to achieve this?
I want to be able to type in an entry and then have a drop down list.
For example If I type in a state like 'Lagos' into the field in yellow, the word 'secondary schools' into the field in blue and I press a 'go' button, I should have a page with a list of secondary schools in Lagos just below (like the part in a red circle).
all I need is how to add the field boxes with their drop down options & categories list (i.e. yellow circled field with a drop down list of other states in Nigeria; blue circled field with drop down list of categories like banks, universities, polytechnics etc.)

Thanks a lot guys, here is the sample page

Re: Pls Help: How Do I Add This To A Web Page by Mescopaul(m): 4:17pm On Jul 22, 2013
U i'll need this html tag
<select>
Eg:
<select name="mydropdown">
<option value="url destination">
1st item
</option>
<option>
2nd item
</option>
</select>
Re: Pls Help: How Do I Add This To A Web Page by uken73(m): 7:03pm On Jul 23, 2013
Guy what you are trying to achieve is not just a common CMS website. It looks like you are working on an online listing with the possibility of searching for listings by category. You may find a Joomla plugin for directory listing. If you can't find one that suites your purpose exactly, you may go for a custom developed plugin. I'm more of a Microsoft person, using Dotnet Nuke. I don't know if this may apply to Joomla, but without using a plugin which may require more effort by the developer (implying he may charge you more for it), a page could be designed with the code behind to handle filling up the categories from the database and quering with the user's search parameters against the database to produce the list of matched records. Since you are working with Joomla, you may need to talk to PHP developers.
Re: Pls Help: How Do I Add This To A Web Page by Dewze(m): 10:52am On Jul 24, 2013
Mescopaul: U i'll need this html tag
<select>
Eg:
<select name="mydropdown">
<option value="url destination">
1st item
</option>
<option>
2nd item
</option>
</select>

thanks a lot bro. I ve applied the codes and it worked. I ve alos succeded in filling them with a list (image below). My dilemma now is how to link both categories together and then how to link them to a data base of their corresponding listings.
Pls help if you can sir
thanks again.

N.B. Any advice on how to do this on either joomla or wordpress.

Here is the image of what I ve so far.

Re: Pls Help: How Do I Add This To A Web Page by Dewze(m): 11:15am On Jul 24, 2013
uken73: ....filling up the categories from the database and quering with the user's search parameters against the database to produce the list of matched records....

this, sir, is the problem left for me to solve at the moment.
Are there no simple tutorial out there that can help me achieve this, or is it tht difficult to do?

I'm using a mysql data base.

Thank u bro.
Re: Pls Help: How Do I Add This To A Web Page by uken73(m): 11:29am On Jul 26, 2013
I'm not a Joomla person. I've tried a bit of WordPress. I typically use DotNetNuke, but in all of them, the idea is the same, it's only the technology/platform that is different. The easiest way is to get a plugin/widget/module (whatever it is called on your choosen CMS. You may find it free or may have to pay for 1. Just google for Joomla Directory or WordPress Directory. You should find lots of options (free/premium) that you can choose from. That's the way to go for non-programmers. Choose one and find out how it is used. Standard ones should go with a Userguide that you can study and configure it for your needs.

Hope that helps.

(1) (Reply)

Scholarship App / Bsc In Ict...please I Need Professional Help / How To Get Funding For My Tech Start-up

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.