Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,216 members, 7,818,730 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:17 PM

Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online (19772 Views)

Pope Francis To Wash & Kiss The Feet Of 4 Nigerian Catholics, 3 Muslims,5 Others / Pope Francis To Allow Priests To Forgive Women Who Had Abortions / Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by kenifeh(m): 11:43am On Jul 23, 2013
That moment when someone re-tweets your sin

Pope Francis has revolutionized the Roman Catholic Church in many ways and now he's going after the world of social networks. It has been announced through the Sacred Apostolic Penitentiary publication that the Pope may forgive sins through Twitter, to encourage those that cannot afford to see him in Brazil to follow him through the TV or Internet.

The official announcement will be made next week during the World Youth Day 2013, which will take place in Brazil July 23-28 with the presence of millions of young people around the world. The initiative is to give "collective forgiveness" only to the Pope's followers on Twitter that have previously confessed their sins, have been absolved by a priest and have attended Mass. They may tune in the World Youth Day broadcasts and receive special papal indulgence, which can reduce the time a soul spends in purgatory.

According to iEnterate.com, many theologians have criticized the measure because it "distances the person of the priest, the only mediator between God and man," said one Vatican analyst. "You do not get an indulgence as you get a coffee from a machine," said Archbishop Claudio María Celli, president of the Pontifical Council for Social Communications.

"It's not enough just to watch a mass online or follow Pope Francis via live streaming on your iPad or by connecting to Pope2You.net. These are just devices. What really counts is that the tweet that the Pope will send from Brazil or the photos from World Youth Day produce genuine spiritual fruit in the heart of the person," said Celli.

According to the Courier Mail, Monsignor John Kennedy told Vatican Radio that indulgences referred to God's kindness in forgiving the effects of sins. "They are linked to a theme that Pope Francis has spoken very frequently about since the moment of his election - that is to say, to the gift of God's mercy," Kennedy said.

On July 9, the Pope released a decree about indulgences and social media, according to Tennesean.com. "The faithful who on account of a legitimate impediment cannot attend the aforementioned celebrations may obtain Plenary Indulgence under the usual spiritual, sacramental and prayer conditions, in a spirit of filial submission to the Roman Pontiff, by participation in the sacred functions on the days indicated, following the same rites and spiritual exercises as they occur via television or radio or, with due devotion, via the new means of social communication," the Pope stated.
The Pope's Twitter account is @Pontifex and has over 2,600,000 followers, while its Spanish version is @Pontifex_es has nearly three million followers worldwide.

http://www.latinospost.com/articles/23964/20130719/pope-francis-forgive-twitter-followers-sins-online.htm

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by Nobody: 11:45am On Jul 23, 2013
Can I laugh

14 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by Tolexander: 11:50am On Jul 23, 2013
Can Seun help to connect Nairaland to follow the Pope on twitter so that our sins can be forgiven most especially those guys presently in romance and sexuality section?

12 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by Nobody: 11:55am On Jul 23, 2013
Catholic till death do me part

26 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by Afam4eva(m): 12:02pm On Jul 23, 2013
spongeback: Can I laugh
You're permitted.

@topic
Why can't people pray to God direct.

9 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by princesammmy: 12:10pm On Jul 23, 2013
the worst thing that can be done to you is to be denied d previldge of reading what you have(the Bible). only God can forgive sin.

1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Ephesians 1:5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, 1:6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved. 1:7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

48 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by Lovebond34(m): 12:11pm On Jul 23, 2013
spongeback: Can I laugh
. Yes u can...bt nt 2 loud cox d pope might hear you

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by Afam4eva(m): 12:14pm On Jul 23, 2013
princesammmy: this man is sick. only God can forgive sin.
Not really. There's a part in the bible where it says that if we confess our sins to one another(not necessarily to a priest or pope), that it will be forgiven.

5 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by Linoversace: 12:24pm On Jul 23, 2013
The truth is that Pope Francis
will be granting plenary
indulgence for next week’s
World Youth Day (WYD)
participants. The Vatican
announced that all participants,
even those that cannot be
there in person but plan to
follow via Twitter (or television
or radio), are eligible for a
plenary indulgence, “under the
usual conditions” (Confession,
reception of the Eucharist, and
prayer for the Pope’s
intention) and a partial
indulgence will be granted to
those who pray for the success
of the WYD observances during
the time of the events in
Brazil, using the official WYD
and invoking Our Lady of
Aparecida, the Queen of Brazil.

http://agbeat.com/editorials/pope-francis-is-not-forgiving-sins-via-twitter-the-media-is-dead-wrong/

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by Zonacom(m): 12:25pm On Jul 23, 2013
Afam4eva:
You're permitted.

@topic
Why can't people pray to God direct.
You dont understand religious matters thesame way you do politics. Faith is a strong phenomenon and the catholic faith demands the faithfuls to be real LAMBS. I'm a catholic, but i dont understand all the church's doctrine, i just apply FAITH

10 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by Afam4eva(m): 12:26pm On Jul 23, 2013
Zona.com:

You dont understand religious matters thesame way you do politics. Faith is a strong phenomenon and the catholic faith demands the faithfuls to be real LAMBS. I'm a catholic, but i dont understand all the church's doctrine, i just apply FAITH
Is the Catholic faith independent of what is in the bible?

3 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by Tolexander: 12:27pm On Jul 23, 2013
Afam4eva:
Not really. There's a part in the bible where it says that if we confess our sins to one another(not necessarily to a priest or pope), that it will be forgiven.
you could have told us where it is found in the scripture!

3 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by Afam4eva(m): 12:27pm On Jul 23, 2013
Tolexander: you could have told us where it is found in the scripture!
James 5:16

9 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by princesammmy: 12:28pm On Jul 23, 2013
Afam4eva:

don't quote out of context. it was refering to fault one to another not sin against God.

James 5:16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

10 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by Zonacom(m): 12:28pm On Jul 23, 2013
...However, i'm against this modern technology-religion partnership. Abuse is likely to set in

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by Afam4eva(m): 12:33pm On Jul 23, 2013
princesammmy:

don't quote out of context. it was refering to fault one to another not sin against God.

James 5:16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.
I didn't see anywhere in that scripture where it specifically says it's referring to fault one to another. I'm a religious noob. Pls educate me.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by owolabifunke14(f): 12:34pm On Jul 23, 2013
Afam4eva:
Mek una come see where ......... Afam dey quote bible. What has the Pope done to discourage gay marriage? If he's not against gay marriage,then his own sin would not be forgiven by any means. Gay is evil and the Pope must champion the fight against gay if truly he is sincere. I need a better husband and gays are taken them away from me

4 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by Afam4eva(m): 12:35pm On Jul 23, 2013
owolabifunke14: Mek una come see where ......... Afam dey quote bible o. I must get myself a b ible sharp sharp. What has the Pope done to discourage gay marriage? If he's not against gay marriage,then his own sin would not be forgiven by any means. Gay is evil and the Pope must champion the fight against gay if truly he is sincere
Has the pope ever condoned gay marraige?

4 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by Okijajuju1(m): 12:36pm On Jul 23, 2013
WOW!!

Whilst others are still debating wether using an e-bible was okay, the catholic church has taken it 5 steps ahead!! So now I can pork a babe and just tweet my sins to the Priest and be forgiven instantly!! I love this.. Sinning has never been better.. grin

#Pope, #Vatican #FatherArinze @Pontifix"In nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte"
Father Forgive me for I have sinned..

Mummy! Mummy!! Come and see Chichi tweet to the Pope o!! She just tweeted her sins on the popes handle.. grin

12 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by Nobody: 12:36pm On Jul 23, 2013
The POPE has no POWER to forgive Sins.

smiley

4 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by wordcat(m): 12:36pm On Jul 23, 2013
Lol so people stil talk abt pugatory

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by dridowu: 12:36pm On Jul 23, 2013
e-forgiveness

3 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by Zonacom(m): 12:36pm On Jul 23, 2013
Afam4eva:
Is the Catholic faith independent of what is in the bible?
It is not bro. Kinda morethan. Remember the early christians(catholics) that handed the bible to you could have edited it to suit them if they had wanted to. Moreover, how are you sure they did'nt? Faith! Is it not?
Dan brown, in his novel the davinci code claims that a lotta christian believes as contained in the bible is fraud. I dont belief him, and maybe you dont too. So lets just hold onto our faith bro, thats religion

3 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by Nobody: 12:39pm On Jul 23, 2013
Finally, YAHWEH learns to use technology...

all praises to Obatala, first and only son of Sango, heir to Chukwu. Amen
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by Neduzze5(m): 12:40pm On Jul 23, 2013
Bless me father for I have sinned

Here are the lists of my sins:

https://www.nairaland.com/1228984/new-dawn

grin grin
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by Nobody: 12:40pm On Jul 23, 2013
Abeg make e use fb or any other,twita 2 open..funi sha''
pradli a Catholic''...benedicamus Domine....
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by owolabifunke14(f): 12:41pm On Jul 23, 2013
Afam4eva:
Has the pope ever condoned gay marraige?
Yes, catholic and anglican churches are in support of gay and pope as the head of the church is not saying anything.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by Giddyprance(m): 12:41pm On Jul 23, 2013
Na wa ooo....¤¤when will i be among d first 3 tew comment on fp...¤¤
Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by Tolexander: 12:41pm On Jul 23, 2013
Afam4eva:
clap for yourself!
thank God you sabi new testament also. Me dey think say na only song of solomon you sabi.

James 5: 16 Therefore confess your sins
to each other and pray for each
other so that you may be
healed. The prayer of a
righteous person is powerful
and effective.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online by Google63(m): 12:42pm On Jul 23, 2013
[quote author=princesammmy]

James 5:16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.[/quote/]
please read the whole chapter and see what's there... Don't ever quote out of context AGAIN!! Thank me l8tr

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

30 Prayer Points For Help From Above. / Annoying Thing An Usher Has Done To You In Church? / Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.