Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,976 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:59 AM

Are They Telling You the Truth About the Gospel? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are They Telling You the Truth About the Gospel? (1701 Views)

5 Things To Avoid When Evangelizing/sharing The Gospel / Gospel Singer Sinach Is PREGNANT! (Photos) / The Gospel Of Barnabas(the True Forgotten Gospel) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are They Telling You the Truth About the Gospel? by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jul 23, 2013
Ask any student of the Bible and he will probably tell you that the Gospel message of salvation consists of two great truths:

1. Jesus died for our sins.

2. Jesus rose from the dead and ascended to the Father.

Few have stopped to ask themselves: Is this what the Bible teaches? Open a Bible and begin to read the accounts of Jesus’ preaching of the Gospel. Remember that Jesus was commissioned by God to give us the Gospel of salvation (Heb. 2:3). What facts did Jesus present to the public as the Gospel? Did he urge people just to believe in his death and resurrection?

He did not. Not according to Matthew, Mark and Luke. Jesus began in Galilee with an announcement of the Gospel. He called it the Gospel about the Kingdom of God:
“Jesus came into Galilee and said, ‘The time is fulfilled; the Kingdom of God is approaching. Repent and believe in the Gospel’” (Mark 1:14-15).

Note carefully that he did not yet say a word about his death and resurrection. He commanded repentance (a complete reorientation of thinking and conduct) and belief in the Gospel about the Kingdom of God.

In Luke 4:43 Jesus told us the reason for his whole ministry. He stated that he must “proclaim the Gospel about the Kingdom of God to other cities also; that is the reason why God commissioned me.”

Later Jesus dispatched the disciples to announce the same Gospel Message: “He sent them out to proclaim the Kingdom of God...They departed and began going everywhere among the villages preaching the Gospel” (Luke 9:2, 6).

Now what was the Gospel Message about? Was it about the death and resurrection of Jesus? Emphatically not. The disciples did not at this stage even believe that Jesus was going to die and be raised! Long after they had been preaching the Gospel (Luke 9:6), they still did not accept the idea of Jesus’ death and resurrection. Luke 18:31-34 tells us that when Jesus much later described his coming death and resurrection, “They understood none of these things” (Luke 18:34).

And yet they had been “preaching the Gospel” (Luke 9:6, 60; 10:9). But information about the death and resurrection of Jesus was not yet part of the Gospel.

After the death and resurrection of Jesus those facts were added to the Gospel Message. The Gospel of the Kingdom was still the name for the Gospel, but the new facts about Jesus’ death and resurrection were incorporated into that Kingdom Message. But the Good News about the Kingdom was still the principal subject of the Gospel: “When they believed Philip as he preached the Good News about the Kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were being baptized, men and women alike” (Acts 8:12). Paul “continued to speak out boldly for three months, reasoning and persuading them about the Kingdom of God” (Acts 19:8 ). “Paul solemnly testified about the Kingdom of God and tried to persuade them concerning Jesus...from morning until evening...For two whole years...Paul was preaching the Kingdom of God and teaching concerning the Lord Jesus Christ” (Acts 28:23, 30, 31). Paul described his whole mission as “preaching the Kingdom of God” (Acts 20:25 — exactly as Jesus described his ministry: Luke 4:43).

The death and resurrection of Jesus are a vital part of the Gospel, but not the whole Gospel. The basis of the biblical Gospel is the coming Kingdom of God (“Thy Kingdom come”), a political monarchy to be set up in Palestine, with Jerusalem as its capital and its authority extending to the whole world. This is the only hope for the world. The Gospel invites you to rule with Christ in that coming Kingdom (see Isa. 32:1; Dan. 7:18, 22, 27; Ps. 37:11 = Matt. 5:5; Luke 19:11, 17; Rev. 2:26; 3:21; 5:10; 20:1-6; 1 Cor. 6:2; 2 Tim. 2:12; Luke 12:32; Luke 22:28-30). In order to gain immortality and a place in the coming Kingdom we must repent, be baptized and prepare for the coming of Jesus to establish his Kingdom. Such is the Gospel Message proclaimed by Jesus and the Apostles (Mark 1:14-15; Acts 8:12; 2:38; 10:47-48; 19:5; 22:16; 19:8 ; 20:25; 28:23, 31).

Re: Are They Telling You the Truth About the Gospel? by Nobody: 8:22pm On Jul 23, 2013
The Meaning of the Term “Kingdom of God”
Preaching in the New Testament means “proclaiming [heralding] the Gospel about the Kingdom of God and the name of Jesus” (Acts 8:12). Repentance means believing in that Gospel of the Kingdom, Jesus’ Message (Mark 1:14-15), and reorienting our lives to a new direction, turning away from disobedience to the Messiah, and ourselves becoming communicators of the Kingdom Message (Luke 9:60). It also means accepting the death of Jesus as a sacrificial atonement for our sins, and Jesus’ resurrection. The Kingdom of God is beautifully defined (among other passages) by Mark 11:10 where the crowds rejoice over the prospect of “the coming Kingdom of our father David.”

This understanding of the Kingdom as a real political monarchy coming to power on the earth received Jesus’ wholehearted approval. It was the Pharisees who tried to silence the enthusiasm of the disciples for Jesus and the coming Kingdom. In response Jesus said, “If these [disciples] become silent, the stones will cry out!” (Luke 19:39-40). Later in Acts 1:6 the Apostles, who had just undergone an intense period of training under Jesus in the “affairs of the Kingdom” (Acts 1:3), asked the Master-Teacher “if the time had now arrived for the Kingdom to be restored to Israel.” The New Jerusalem Bible notes that “the apostles still expect the Messianic Kingdom to be the political restoration of David’s dynasty.”

This understanding of what the Kingdom of God means was, of course, correct. As Gospel preachers they had been preaching about the Kingdom for several years in the company of the Messiah. Jesus certainly did not suggest in his reply (Acts 1:7) that they had an inadequate knowledge of his central theme and the heart of his Gospel. It was not a question of whether the Kingdom would be restored to Israel. It was merely a question of when that great event would happen.

Simple common sense is sufficient to tell us that the Lord’s agents in the preaching of the Gospel understood what the Kingdom of God was! How otherwise could Jesus have entrusted them with the task of proclaiming his Gospel of the Kingdom, not only in Israel but to the whole world? (Luke 9:2, 6; Matt. 28:19-20).

Note how many scholars correctly define the Kingdom of God:

E. Haenchen: “The preaching of the Kingdom of God obviously refers to the Kingdom of God which will begin with the Parousia [Second Coming]” (Acts of the Apostles, 1971, p. 141, fn. 2).

H.J. Cadbury, Acts and Eschatology: “Nothing obviously distinguishes the term Kingdom of God in Acts from such apocalyptic [future] use as it has in the gospels.”

Kevin Giles (Reformed Theological Review, Sept.-Dec., 1981): “Luke’s understanding of the Kingdom of God is that it is still in the future and it will mean the restoration of Israel.” He goes on to quote J. Jervell (Luke and the People of God) who refers to the Apostles’ question about the restoration of the Kingdom to Israel and says: “Luke’s theology anticipated a restored Israel.”

Cadbury: Acts includes “many familiar elements” in NT preaching. “The preachers preach the Kingdom of God or the things about it” (Acts 1:3; 8:12; 20:25; 28:23, 31). The term Kingdom of God “appears from almost the first verse to the last verse in the book.” “Kingdom of God constitutes a formula apparently parallel to the writer’s more characteristic single verb ‘evangelize’…Nothing obviously distinguishes the term Kingdom of God in Acts from such apocalyptic use as it has in the synoptic gospels. For example one enters it through much tribulation (Acts 14:22).”

Haenchen: On Acts 28:23: “The Kingdom of God and the Name of Jesus Christ properly stand side by side. The second expression refers to the death and resurrection attested in the holy Scriptures and therefore the Messiahship of Jesus. Kingdom of God itself describes the entire Christian proclamation: So in 19:8, 20:25 and 1:3 it also has this meaning. If, on the other hand, as here and in 8:12 and 28:31 it is mentioned along with the events of Jesus, then it has the futuristic meaning of which 14:22 speaks. At the Parousia the future Kingdom will come with the returning Jesus (Luke 21:31). Paul’s efforts to win the Jews lasted throughout the day. This shows how keen he was to win them” (Acts of the Apostles, p. 773).

Earle Ellis: “In Acts the term Kingdom of God is used only of a future event…The Kingdom will have a glorious and public manifestation in the future…Like the creative word in Genesis (1:3) the word of the Kingdom [cp. Matt. 13:19] contains within it the reality of the new creation itself. Nevertheless the Kingdom also remains in the future and its coming is associated with the Parousia, the glorious appearance of Jesus at the close of the age (Lk. 19:11; 22:29; 11:2; Acts 1:7, 11). Eternal life awaits the age to come (18:30). By their response to the Kingdom message men reveal whether they are destined for the ‘life of the age to come’ (Acts 8:1-17; 13:46, 48)” (Luke, New Century Bible, p. 13).

Everything depends on our response to the Gospel Message about the Kingdom as Jesus preached it. The gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John) are themselves evangelism models, inviting us to repent and believe the Gospel about the Kingdom (Mark 1:14-15) as well as in Jesus’ death and resurrection.

Any subtraction from the Gospel is a serious and dangerous mistake. Jesus actually insists on an intelligent grasp of God’s plan/Gospel of the Kingdom of God. Jesus makes grasping the Gospel of the Kingdom an essential requisite for repentance and forgiveness:

“If they were to perceive and understand [the Gospel about the Kingdom, Matt. 13:19], they would repent and be forgiven” (Mark 4:11-12).

Jesus’ first command and the basic thesis of all his Gospel teaching is:
Repent (change your mind and life) and believe the Gospel about the Kingdom of God being at hand (Mark 1:14-15). Everything else Jesus and the Apostles said is an expansion of this key core concept.

Jesus also said that the Gospel of the Kingdom is so vital to salvation that “when anyone hears the Gospel about the Kingdom the Devil comes and snatches away what has been sown in his heart so that he may not believe it and be saved” (Luke 8:12).

Paul was also a career preacher of the Gospel of the Kingdom, following Jesus his Lord (Acts 20:24-25; 28:23, 31; 19:8; cp. Acts 8:12).

Christians are also commanded to preach that same Gospel of the Kingdom (Matt. 28:19-20; Luke 9:60). How well are we doing with this task? How well are you doing?

http://www.focusonthekingdom.org/truth.htm
Re: Are They Telling You the Truth About the Gospel? by Nobody: 8:25pm On Jul 23, 2013
In as much as i tend to agree with you on some points here, i still disagree over some.
In as much as you state that the death and resurrection of Christ is not the gospel, i find it important to say i dont accept this. First, what does the term "gospel" mean?

1 Like

Re: Are They Telling You the Truth About the Gospel? by shdemidemi(m): 8:29pm On Jul 23, 2013
Rightly divide the word of God brethren.

The kingdom gospel was for the nation of Israel based on the promises given to their patriarchs.

Jesus was supposed to attain the position of the king of the kingdom of Israel but they did not believe he was their Messiah. His death gave birth to the new gospel of God unto salvation for the Gentiles.
Re: Are They Telling You the Truth About the Gospel? by Nobody: 8:34pm On Jul 23, 2013
shdemidemi: Rightly divide the word of God brethren.

The kingdom gospel was for the nation of Israel based on the promises given to their patriarchs.

Jesus was supposed to attain the position of the king of the kingdom of Israel but they did not believe he was their Messiah. His death gave birth to the new gospel of God unto salvation for the Gentiles.

There is ONE Gospel , Jesus preached it, Paul preached it , Peter preached and we are commanded to preach it. There are not TWO gospels.

"15 He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. 16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned"- Mark 16:15-16
Re: Are They Telling You the Truth About the Gospel? by Nobody: 8:34pm On Jul 23, 2013
^^^
Imagine? The death and resurrection is not the gospel?
Re: Are They Telling You the Truth About the Gospel? by Nobody: 8:35pm On Jul 23, 2013
idnoble135: ^^^
Imagine? The death and resurrection is not the gospel?

Bro, READ.

The Death and Resurrection is an integral part of the gospel, but not the complete Gospel.

The Complete Gospel is about the coming Kingdom of GOD.

smiley
Re: Are They Telling You the Truth About the Gospel? by Nobody: 8:43pm On Jul 23, 2013
frosbel:

Bro, READ.

The Death and Resurrection is an integral part of the gospel, but not the complete Gospel.

The Complete Gospel is about the coming Kingdom of GOD.

smiley
in simple terms, explain from your perspective what the kingdom of God means?
Re: Are They Telling You the Truth About the Gospel? by Nobody: 8:55pm On Jul 23, 2013
idnoble135:
in simple terms, explain from your perspective what the kingdom of God means?

Daniel 2:44-45
44 “In the time of those kings, the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that will never be destroyed, nor will it be left to another people. It will crush all those kingdoms and bring them to an end, but it will itself endure forever. 45 This is the meaning of the vision of the rock cut out of a mountain, but not by human hands—a rock that broke the iron, the bronze, the clay, the silver and the gold to pieces.
Re: Are They Telling You the Truth About the Gospel? by Nobody: 9:02pm On Jul 23, 2013
^
you cant explain using your own words?
Re: Are They Telling You the Truth About the Gospel? by shdemidemi(m): 9:37pm On Jul 23, 2013
frosbel:

There is ONE Gospel , Jesus preached it, Paul preached it , Peter preached and we are commanded to preach it. There are not TWO gospels.

"15 He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. 16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned"- Mark 16:15-16

What does the term 'gospel' mean?
Re: Are They Telling You the Truth About the Gospel? by Nobody: 9:51pm On Jul 23, 2013
I asked the same earlier but i dont know if he isdodging some questions deliberately ignoring some questions.
Re: Are They Telling You the Truth About the Gospel? by Nobody: 10:07pm On Jul 23, 2013
FROSBEL, i thought as much before commenting. This is not the first or second time you have ignored some questions i asked in previous threads. I do wonder if the problem is whether you dont really know the answers or you just keep silence just like that.
What i would say is, there is no monopoly of knowledge. I admire your knowledge of the scriptures but until you do explain some things you said, i think some are just false.
I dont hope to explain in detail but for a sketch. The new testament which means God's new covenant started at the cross. The gospel before the cross and the gospel after the cross differs. The gospel before the cross centred mainly on repentance and baptism. The gospel after the cross centred mainly on belief and acceptance of the redemptive work of Christ on the cross. There is a lot i have to say and scriptures i would have given if i were explaining in detail. But hey, this is a sketch...
You talked about kingdom. Bible addresses two main kingdoms: the kingdom of God and the kingdom of God. You seem to address the first. How about this scripture? Luke 17:21
Am outta here. Disappointed! *unfollows thread*
Re: Are They Telling You the Truth About the Gospel? by Nobody: 10:12pm On Jul 23, 2013
^^

I am not plugged in 24/7, when I get home from work , na relax grin.

I will provide a quick summary before bed time.

Thanks.
Re: Are They Telling You the Truth About the Gospel? by Nobody: 10:22pm On Jul 23, 2013
idnoble135: FROSBEL, i thought as much before commenting. This is not the first or second time you have ignored some questions i asked in previous threads. I do wonder if the problem is whether you dont really know the answers or you just keep silence just like that.
What i would say is, there is no monopoly of knowledge. I admire your knowledge of the scriptures but until you do explain some things you said, i think some are just false.
I dont hope to explain in detail but for a sketch. The new testament which means God's new covenant started at the cross. The gospel before the cross and the gospel after the cross differs. The gospel before the cross centred mainly on repentance and baptism. The gospel after the cross centred mainly on belief and acceptance of the redemptive work of Christ on the cross. There is a lot i have to say and scriptures i would have given if i were explaining in detail. But hey, this is a sketch...
You talked about kingdom. Bible addresses two main kingdoms: the kingdom of God and the kingdom of God. You seem to address the first. How about this scripture? Luke 17:21
Am outta here. Disappointed! *unfollows thread*

The gospel is the good news of the coming kingdom of peace and righteousness where there will be no more wars, death, pain, sickness and of course SATAN and his evil demons.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death' or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." - Revelation 21:4

"6 The wolf will live with the lamb,
the leopard will lie down with the goat,
the calf and the lion and the yearling[a] together;
and a little child will lead them.
7 The cow will feed with the bear,
their young will lie down together,
and the lion will eat straw like the ox.
8 The infant will play near the cobra’s den,
and the young child will put its hand into the viper’s nest.
9 They will neither harm nor destroy
on all my holy mountain,
for the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the Lord
as the waters cover the sea.
10 In that day the Root of Jesse will stand as a banner for the peoples; the nations will rally to him, and his resting place will be glorious. 11 In that day the Lord will reach out his hand a second time to reclaim the surviving remnant of his people from Assyria, from Lower Egypt, from Upper Egypt, from Cush, from Elam, from Babylonia, from Hamath and from the islands of the Mediterranean." - Isaiah 11:6-11

continue tomorrow.....
Re: Are They Telling You the Truth About the Gospel? by shdemidemi(m): 11:54am On Jul 24, 2013
@Frosbel

Pls leave the gospel of the kingdom or gospel of God for now. The question is what do you understand by the word 'gospel'
Re: Are They Telling You the Truth About the Gospel? by Nobody: 6:57pm On Jul 24, 2013
shdemidemi: @Frosbel

Pls leave the gospel of the kingdom or gospel of God for now. The question is what do you understand by the word 'gospel'

Gospel means good news.
Re: Are They Telling You the Truth About the Gospel? by shdemidemi(m): 7:41pm On Jul 24, 2013
frosbel:

Gospel means good news.

So, what good news did Paul preach pls?
Re: Are They Telling You the Truth About the Gospel? by Tgirl4real(f): 8:40pm On Jul 24, 2013
This article is one-sided.

I like it though cos it added to my knowledge of the topic I am studying presently - end time.
Re: Are They Telling You the Truth About the Gospel? by Tgirl4real(f): 8:43pm On Jul 24, 2013
From the latter part of this scripture, is it not referring to the Jews?

frosbel:

The gospel is the good news of the coming kingdom of peace and righteousness where there will be no more wars, death, pain, sickness and of course SATAN and his evil demons.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death' or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." - Revelation 21:4

"6 The wolf will live with the lamb,
the leopard will lie down with the goat,
the calf and the lion and the yearling[a] together;
and a little child will lead them.
7 The cow will feed with the bear,
their young will lie down together,
and the lion will eat straw like the ox.
8 The infant will play near the cobra’s den,
and the young child will put its hand into the viper’s nest.
9 They will neither harm nor destroy
on all my holy mountain,
for the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the Lord
as the waters cover the sea.
10 In that day the Root of Jesse will stand as a banner for the peoples; the nations will rally to him, and his resting place will be glorious. 11 In that day the Lord will reach out his hand a second time to reclaim the surviving remnant of his people from Assyria, from Lower Egypt, from Upper Egypt, from Cush, from Elam, from Babylonia, from Hamath and from the islands of the Mediterranean." - Isaiah 11:6-11

continue tomorrow.....

Re: Are They Telling You the Truth About the Gospel? by mcfynest(m): 9:02pm On Jul 24, 2013
i dont think there is reason for any argument. the gospel is talking about the birth, the death and the resurection of Jesus Christ and hoping for the kingdom of God to come. so believing in the death and resurection of jesus Christ and hoping for God's kingdom to come is the gospel. that was what all the apostles were preaching about
Re: Are They Telling You the Truth About the Gospel? by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jul 24, 2013
mcfynest: i dont think there is reason for any argument. the gospel is talking about the birth, the death and the resurection of Jesus Christ and hoping for the kingdom of God to come. so believing in the death and resurection of jesus Christ and hoping for God's kingdom to come is the gospel. that was what all the apostles were preaching about

Correct , but the other way round, the Gospel is the good news of the kingdom and we cannot be a part of the kingdom until we believe that Jesus died for our sins, was buried and rose for our justification into the kingdom.

1 Like

Re: Are They Telling You the Truth About the Gospel? by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jul 24, 2013
Tgirl4real: From the latter part of this scripture, is it not referring to the Jews?

Is there a future kingdom for the gentiles and another for the Jews ?
Re: Are They Telling You the Truth About the Gospel? by Nobody: 9:47pm On Jul 24, 2013
frosbel:

Correct , but the other way round, the Gospel is the good news of the kingdom and we cannot be a part of the kingdom until we believe that Jesus died for our sins, was buried and rose for our justification into the kingdom.
grin first time i am liking frosbel post. I hope he keeps teaching like this, i must say i am impressed.
Re: Are They Telling You the Truth About the Gospel? by Tgirl4real(f): 9:52pm On Jul 24, 2013
frosbel:

Yes.
Re: Are They Telling You the Truth About the Gospel? by Tgirl4real(f): 9:54pm On Jul 24, 2013
frosbel:

Is there a future kingdom for the gentiles and another for the Jews ?

Why are u being a typical Nigeria? grin

You can do better by answering or expantiating.

Thanks
Re: Are They Telling You the Truth About the Gospel? by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jul 24, 2013
frosbel:

Daniel 2:44-45
44 “In the time of those kings, the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that will never be destroyed, nor will it be left to another people. It will crush all those kingdoms and bring them to an end, but it will itself endure forever. 45 This is the meaning of the vision of the rock cut out of a mountain, but not by human hands—a rock that broke the iron, the bronze, the clay, the silver and the gold to pieces.

This is the meat of the gist.This is what God is shouting Now to the body of Christ.
Re: Are They Telling You the Truth About the Gospel? by mcfynest(m): 10:02pm On Jul 24, 2013
frosbel:

on point....so thread closed
Re: Are They Telling You the Truth About the Gospel? by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jul 24, 2013
mcfynest:

on point....so thread closed

Some people think there are 2 Gospels !
Re: Are They Telling You the Truth About the Gospel? by Nobody: 10:06pm On Jul 24, 2013
Tgirl4real:

Why are u being a typical Nigeria? grin

You can do better by answering or expantiating.

Thanks

Not really , I like to understand your point of view before providing my answer.

Do you realise that Christians are spiritual Jews ?

"28 A person is not a Jew who is one only outwardly, nor is circumcision merely outward and physical. 29 No, a person is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is circumcision of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code. Such a person’s praise is not from other people, but from God" - Romans 2:28-29
Re: Are They Telling You the Truth About the Gospel? by Nobody: 10:07pm On Jul 24, 2013
Bidam: grin first time i am liking frosbel post. I hope he keeps teaching like this, i must say i am impressed.

Thanks , but where do you think this kingdom will be located ?
Re: Are They Telling You the Truth About the Gospel? by Tgirl4real(f): 10:13pm On Jul 24, 2013
Yes, as in offspring of Abraham.

But that scripture talks about the geographical location of the physical Jews.

frosbel:

Not really , I like to understand your point of view before providing my answer.

Do you realise that Christians are spiritual Jews ?

"28 A person is not a Jew who is one only outwardly, nor is circumcision merely outward and physical. 29 No, a person is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is circumcision of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code. Such a person’s praise is not from other people, but from God" - Romans 2:28-29

(1) (2) (Reply)

Outdated. / Naked Singer Perform Live In Church(pics) / Is Drinking Alcohol A Sin Or Not According To The Bible?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.