Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,844 members, 7,810,255 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:50 AM

Applying 2 Tim. 3:16 To The Rest Of The Bible - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Applying 2 Tim. 3:16 To The Rest Of The Bible (697 Views)

POPULAR JOHN 3:16 Destroys The Unbiblical Tri-ni-ty / Pastor Kumuyi's Son Apologise, controversy finally laid to rest / 2 Timothy 3:16 - Was The Devil And Demons Also Inspired By God ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Applying 2 Tim. 3:16 To The Rest Of The Bible by F00028: 11:13am On Jul 24, 2013
what would happen if we were to apply the test of scripture in 2 Tim. 3:16 to the rest of the Bible?

2 Timothy 3:16
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable
A- for doctrine,
B- for reproof,
C- for correction,
D- for instruction in righteousness.

for example under which head will scripture like Judges 16:1 fall?

New Living Translation (©2007):
"One day Samson went to the Philistine
town of Gaza and spent the night with a
prostitute."

is it doctrine or instruction because it
doesnt contain any reproof or correction?

and what would be the fate of scripture that doesn't fit under any head?
Re: Applying 2 Tim. 3:16 To The Rest Of The Bible by duality(m): 11:54am On Jul 24, 2013
The story of samson is profitable for reproof and correction.
Re: Applying 2 Tim. 3:16 To The Rest Of The Bible by igbeke: 12:50pm On Jul 24, 2013
It is sometimes not adviceable to pick wat is written in a verse of the Holy Bible without putting into consideration the "pre and post" of the verse.
@ topic;
The story of Samson in the Holy Bible is meant for our reproof and correction.

2 Corinthians 6:14
Don't be unequally yoked with unbelievers, for what fellowship have righteousness and iniquity? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?
Re: Applying 2 Tim. 3:16 To The Rest Of The Bible by truthman2012(m): 1:13pm On Jul 24, 2013
F00028: what would happen if we were to apply the test of scripture in 2 Tim. 3:16 to the rest of the Bible?

2 Timothy 3:16
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable
A- for doctrine,
B- for reproof,
C- for correction,
D- for instruction in righteousness.

for example under which head will scripture like Judges 16:1 fall?

New Living Translation (©2007):
"One day Samson went to the Philistine
town of Gaza and spent the night with a
prostitute."

is it doctrine or instruction because it
doesnt contain any reproof or correction?

and what would be the fate of scripture that doesn't fit under any head?

Muhammad violated the Qur'anic law on the punishment of sex offenders

Fornication and adultery are two most serious offences in Islamic societies. The punitive measures, as enacted in the Qur’an are truly extremely harsh and barbaric.

Let us read the verse which deals with such grave crimes:

Punishment for adultery or fornication (both man and woman) is one hundred lashes in front of the believers:
The woman and the man guilty of adultery or fornication,- flog each of them with a hundred stripes: Let not compassion move you in their case, in a matter prescribed by Allah, if ye believe in Allah and the Last Day: and let a party of the Believers witness their punishment.
Qur'an 24:2

Strangely though, when it came to a friend of Muhammad, who admitted having committed a punishable offence (illegal sex, perhaps), Muhammad did not apply this Qur’anic rule. Here is a hadith from Sahih Bukhari on this violation of the Qur’an:

Muhammad did not punish a person for illegal sexual intercourse because the person prayed with him...

Narrated Anas bin Malik: While I was with the Prophet a man came and said, "O Allah's Apostle! I have committed a legally punishable sin; please inflict the legal punishment on me'.' The Prophet did not ask him what he had done. Then the time for the prayer became due and the man offered prayer along with the Prophet , and when the Prophet had finished his prayer, the man again got up and said, "O Allah's Apostle! I have committed a legally punishable sin; please inflict the punishment on me according to Allah's Laws." The Prophet said, "Haven't you prayed with us?' He said, "Yes." The Prophet said, "Allah has forgiven your sin." or said, "....your legally punishable sin."

What about that Mr OP?
Re: Applying 2 Tim. 3:16 To The Rest Of The Bible by igbeke: 2:31pm On Jul 24, 2013
truthman2012:

Muhammad violated the Qur'anic law on the punishment of sex offenders

Fornication and adultery are two most serious offences in Islamic societies. The punitive measures, as enacted in the Qur’an are truly extremely harsh and barbaric.

Let us read the verse which deals with such grave crimes:

Punishment for adultery or fornication (both man and woman) is one hundred lashes in front of the believers:
The woman and the man guilty of adultery or fornication,- flog each of them with a hundred stripes: Let not compassion move you in their case, in a matter prescribed by Allah, if ye believe in Allah and the Last Day: and let a party of the Believers witness their punishment.
Qur'an 24:2

Strangely though, when it came to a friend of Muhammad, who admitted having committed a punishable offence (illegal sex, perhaps), Muhammad did not apply this Qur’anic rule. Here is a hadith from Sahih Bukhari on this violation of the Qur’an:

Muhammad did not punish a person for illegal sexual intercourse because the person prayed with him...

Narrated Anas bin Malik: While I was with the Prophet a man came and said, "O Allah's Apostle! I have committed a legally punishable sin; please inflict the legal punishment on me'.' The Prophet did not ask him what he had done. Then the time for the prayer became due and the man offered prayer along with the Prophet , and when the Prophet had finished his prayer, the man again got up and said, "O Allah's Apostle! I have committed a legally punishable sin; please inflict the punishment on me according to Allah's Laws." The Prophet said, "Haven't you prayed with us?' He said, "Yes." The Prophet said, "Allah has forgiven your sin." or said, "....your legally punishable sin."

What about that Mr OP?
This may not be relevant in this context. rather, it potrays ur prophet as....
Re: Applying 2 Tim. 3:16 To The Rest Of The Bible by F00028: 4:28pm On Jul 24, 2013
@truthman2012

you just have this uncontrollable urge to irrelevantly blabber, dont you? undecided
Re: Applying 2 Tim. 3:16 To The Rest Of The Bible by truthman2012(m): 4:57pm On Jul 24, 2013
F00028: @truthman2012

you just have this uncontrollable urge to irrelevantly blabber, dont you? undecided

You accused the Bible of not punishing a se.xual offender, Samson. And I told you even Muhammad did the same or worst.

Samson committed sins against God and we all could see how he ended his life.

Note that this is not the first time you are bringing up this issue before you made it a thread now.
Re: Applying 2 Tim. 3:16 To The Rest Of The Bible by F00028: 5:36pm On Jul 24, 2013
^^^
shocked say what?
show from the OP where I accused the bible of anything?!?

truthman2012:

Note that this is not the first time you are bringing up this issue before you made it a thread now.
and you are blundering through it now like you blundered through it before.

bros, no be by force to comment o! undecided

(1) (Reply)

Something About Sex You Need To Know! / Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo Senior Pastor Of COZA Speaks In Church / Forgiveness, The Best Dose For Hurt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.