Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,742 members, 7,824,141 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:20 AM

Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? (16102 Views)

Noise About Abobaku Online.....the Culture Has Been Abolished Years Ago. / Interracial Children: Which Culture? / Impact On Slavery On Africans And The African Diaspora (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by Nobody: 8:18pm On Aug 09, 2013
ezeagu: I used to follow all this drama about individual ethnic groups and their influence on the diaspora, but I've come to realise that individuals in the diaspora and sometimes very small regions have their individual cultural heritages so it isn't good enough just to say 'Jamaica is this' or 'Haiti is that'. These enslaved people were real individuals and they left descendants, so it should be the individuals cultural heritage that counts. That's not to say, however, that a certain groups influence in a region of the Americas should be overlooked, but we have to understand that the diaspora is much more complicated than 'the Fulani were here, and the Wolof were there'. Even these ethnic identities have transformed after the slave trade and colonialism.

I've seen examples of the generalisations in this thread. Igbo people for example, gradually accumulated in the Chesapeake region of the United States and these individuals contributed to an overall more Igbo influenced slave culture. But that is not to say that in another region like South Carolina that other groups, like the Wolof, didn't have more of an influence in the slave culture. [size=18pt]But we can't forget that these cultures are, at whatever stage, a mix.[/size]

i have that since the beginning sir. grin

when some folks WHO CANNOT READ were acting like i was trying to be argumentative, all i was doing was trying to emphasize the fact that we are all a mix and all of our ancestors played a role. no one people or tribe did more than the others in each territory. like i said from DAY ONE!

*Kails*:
@topic none.
they were all equally influential

like I said earlier,
all of the people sent to the new world played equal
roles in the formation of who we are and our cultures.
From north America to south.

Anyone who truly knows diaspora black history knows what I am saying is the truth.

---refer to original post to see the parts omitted---

But I think its unfair to the other peoples who contributed to our cultures to make this into a competition. So I say ALL.

1 Like

Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by Nobody: 8:22pm On Aug 09, 2013
i mean the same way i can talk about the kongo, fulani, yoruba, wolof; etc influence in the new world i can easily talk about the IGBO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5vpDF2dUHc

WHY IS THAT?
[size=38pt]BECAUSE WE ARE MUTTS! HELLO![/size]
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by BlackKenichi(m): 10:32pm On Aug 09, 2013
*Kails*:

The akan ppl from Ghana were beasts in the new world lol. In jamaic the twi and ashanti were real thorns in the sides of the british. Same for the kongo peoples who led the rebellions and were aided by the akan, igbo, and other groups.

Another interesting fact I learned that the fulanis sent to jamaica were the most literate of the lot. They found arabic writings in both jamaica and brazil written by the fulani. Which is probably why patois is also influenced by the fulbe language despite their presence having been so small in size... compared to other new world colonies.

Kinda cool.
That's true. The Senegambian ethnics were majority muslims and they placed a high value on education.
The Igbo slaves rebelled mostly by running away or committing suicide (they were known for both).
Most of the Kongo Kingdom ethnic slaves were POWs thus they were very disciplined and organised.

ezeagu: I used to follow all this drama about individual ethnic groups and their influence on the diaspora, but I've come to realise that individuals in the diaspora and sometimes very small regions have their individual cultural heritages so it isn't good enough just to say 'Jamaica is this' or 'Haiti is that'. These enslaved people were real individuals and they left descendants, so it should be the individuals cultural heritage that counts. That's not to say, however, that a certain groups influence in a region of the Americas should be overlooked, but we have to understand that the diaspora is much more complicated than 'the Fulani were here, and the Wolof were there'. Even these ethnic identities have transformed after the slave trade and colonialism.

I've seen examples of the generalisations in this thread. Igbo people for example, gradually accumulated in the Chesapeake region of the United States and these individuals contributed to an overall more Igbo influenced slave culture. But that is not to say that in another region like South Carolina that other groups, like the Wolof, didn't have more of an influence in the slave culture. But we can't forget that these cultures are, at whatever stage, a mix.
True and I've never denied that. Still we can't deny that slaves from one area from Africa were more likely to be sold and brought in certain areas of the Americas than other places. With that certain Afro cultures emerged in one part of the Americas that were quite different from an Afro culture in another part.

E.g. Voodoo/Vodoun - It emerged in Benin from the Fon people. Yet it's also found in Haiti and Louisiana yet not practiced in other New world Afro cultures (not even in the DR really) why is that? Could it that a lot of Fon slaves were sent to these places bringing there cultural traits like vodoun with them.
Now before you say that Haitian voodoo worships Bakongo and Mbundu gods and spirits as well, I already know. Haiti also received a lot of Kongo Kingdom slaves as well. Thus you could say that Haitian Voodoo is a mix of Fon and Kongo Kingdom ethnic spirit worship with a smattering of Catholicism!
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by Nobody: 12:56pm On Aug 10, 2013
Black Kenichi:
That's true. The Senegambian ethnics were majority muslims and they placed a high value on education.
The Igbo slaves rebelled mostly by running away or committing suicide (they were known for both).
Most of the Kongo Kingdom ethnic slaves were POWs thus they were very disciplined and organised.

True. The kru were also known to be suicidal as well.
Another group that was quite aggressive were the mende (i am surprised nobody mentioned the La Amistad incident....kid *hint *hint your deadly warrior thread wink

And the kongo peoples were very disciplined mainly those in the territories that are part of present day angola. The rebellions of south carolina and the caribbean that were carried out by them were very similar. Witnesses alway stated they used stealth tactics to inflict wounds and would steal the weapons of their enemy. Lol can you imagine the fear those white folks felt to see ppl they brutalize point their own guns at them? lmao They also used excellent formations when attacking an enemy which was to surround their enemy.

It happened so much that eventually taking slaves from the kongo region was outlawed in some colonies while the demand for them dropped signifantly in others lmao.

True and I've never denied that. Still we can't deny that slaves from one area from Africa were more likely to be sold and brought in certain areas of the Americas than other places. With that certain Afro cultures emerged in one part of the Americas that were quite different from an Afro culture in another part.

Its all circumstancial tho. For example when most other tribes had long assimilated you started to see an emergence of more people coming in and influencing the others.

For ex: the yoruba made their debute a little later in the game (late 1700- 1800s) so their ways stood out more and in some spanish speaking colonies they were not treated as bad because by the time they came in such high numbers importing slaves to the new world was illegal. So they (slave masters) would compromise with them and allow them to still carry on their cultures but after doing their work of course.

Other african descendants who lost their own cultures or could not speak their mother tongues began adopting other african cultures just to have an identity. You see what I am saying? So you would have someone in brazil who may be from mozambique originally, learn yoruba customs and start practicing yoruba customs to feel connected to africa in some way.

I will try to find a source for this info and post it. smiley

E.g. Voodoo/Vodoun - It emerged in Benin from the Fon people. Yet it's also found in Haiti and Louisiana yet not practiced in other New world Afro cultures (not even in the DR really) why is that?

Because again its circumstances....

Could it that a lot of Fon slaves were sent to these places bringing there cultural traits like vodoun with them.

First of all there werent that many fon brought to the new world in the first place. Again other ppl adopted their voodoo/culture. But going back to why its not practiced as much in DR...remember in some places african spirituality, music, and dance scared the living day lights out of the slave masters.

Just the fact that it made some of the, want to dance was enough for them to be convinced that they were under a spell lmao. So with immediate effect it was outlawed (drumming, incantations, and speaking in any language other than those of ones masters). Disobeying these laws would earn a slave severe punishments. Some would be bold enough to sneak at night (like in Louisiana, Brazil, Jamaica) and still do their thing but most were too afraid to (because of the snitches among them smh) and thus lost that part of them.

Now in the case of the D.R. they were heavily influenced by some of the most brutal spaniards in the new world. They had to follow those laws and were forced to convert to catolicism which taught them that their cultures were primitive, that their ancestors were unGodly and even that th ei r own skin,complexions are signs that God made them inferior that it was destiny for them to be saved (hence why despite today having 70 to 80 percent of dominicans being of obvious african descent they still would rather not be reminded of that fact and would rather be called "indio" [indian; to justify their dark complexions] so sad...) The "africaness" of haitians is why some of them are desperate not to be called "the same" as haitians plus some haitians were brutal to them following the revolution which justified the claims by the spaniards and mixed breed dominicans that african culture was savage.

(Which is hilarious considering to this day some of the cultures their ancestors brought with them are still practiced on their side of the island esp.in music and cooking. But dont tell some of them that tho. Lol.)

So again its all about circumstances.
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by MamiWata: 10:09pm On Aug 10, 2013
*Kails*:

nah im through with it.
i said my piece, never disrespected anybody in my first reply.
its not my fault some folks can't read.

it can respond but it'll just be talking to itself.

that's that.

This is your second time saying you're through with it. At least we can both agree we have nothing to learn from one another even if you can't manage to stay out of the thread.
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by MrsChima(f): 7:58pm On Aug 11, 2013
MamiWata:

This is your second time saying you're through with it. At least we can both agree we have nothing to learn from one another even if you can't manage to stay out of the thread.

There are a lot to learn from other people but when ignorance is thrown in the mix...it kills the positive progression.
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by MamiWata: 2:50am On Aug 13, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

There are a lot to learn from other people but when ignorance is thrown in the mix...it kills the positive progression.

I have nothing to learn from this particularly ignorant poster.
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by MrsChima(f): 2:07pm On Aug 13, 2013
MamiWata:

I have nothing to learn from this particularly ignorant poster.

That poster can say the same about you.

1 Like

Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by Nobody: 2:09pm On Aug 13, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

lol. i know that's right.
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by MamiWata: 2:16pm On Aug 13, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

She could say whatever she'd like but it would be unfounded.
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by MrsChima(f): 2:18pm On Aug 13, 2013
MamiWata:

She could say whatever she'd like but it would be unfounded.

All personal opinions of others are unfounded.

So you are right.
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by Nobody: 2:18pm On Aug 13, 2013
chima do me a favor and stop talking to this dumb thot about me lol.
i really don't have it's time.

the issue is beyond dead.
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by MamiWata: 2:37pm On Aug 13, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

All personal opinions of others are unfounded.

So you are right.

It is not my personal opinion that Dahomeans are Fon rather than Yoruba as she said. That is a fact.
It is not my personal opinion that vodun is Fon rather than central African as she said. That is a fact.
It is also not my personal opinion that Santeria is one spirituality rather than all as she said. That is a fact.

You can not point to one fallacy that I posted in this thread and that's why any claim of my ignorance would be unfounded.
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by Nobody: 2:38pm On Aug 13, 2013
lol.
you see what i mean sis?

dead it.
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by MrsChima(f): 4:14pm On Aug 13, 2013
*Kails*:
lol.
you see what i mean sis?

dead it.

Hmm. How is your day so far? Why Chima gon say my booty look like K.Michelle but got titties like Rhianna? angry

For the record K got mo ash than 30 of us put together! Did you see her booty?

1 Like

Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by Nobody: 6:15pm On Aug 13, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

Hmm. How is your day so far? Why Chima gon say my booty look like K.Michelle but got titties like Rhianna? angry

For the record K got mo ash than 30 of us put together! Did you see her booty?

my day is going well.
i was a lil down earlier tongue but i am GRRRREAT like tony the tiger's happy a--. grin grin

Lol, he was giving you a compliment sis. That is a good shape you got there wink
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by MrsChima(f): 8:38pm On Aug 13, 2013
*Kails*:

my day is going well.
i was a lil down earlier tongue but i am GRRRREAT like tony the tiger's happy a--. grin grin

Lol, he was giving you a compliment sis. That is a good shape you got there wink

Rhianna ain't got no titties! Thanks though.

I remember you mentioned Zimbabwe ..there is a video called Mugabe and The White African that you will enjoy.
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by Nobody: 8:59pm On Aug 13, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

Rhianna ain't got no titties! Thanks though.

I remember you mentioned Zimbabwe ..there is a video called Mugabe and The White African that you will enjoy.

LMAO! grin yeah but women with smaller tops and thicker bottoms have the best shapes imo. cool
and i will check out that vid but let me find out my sis is watching documentaries on mugabe. grin
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by MrsChima(f): 10:23pm On Aug 13, 2013
*Kails*:

LMAO! grin yeah but women with smaller tops and thicker bottoms have the best shapes imo. cool
and i will check out that vid but let me find out my sis is watching documentaries on mugabe. grin

It was part of a course I took when I was an undergrad in college.

1 Like

Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by Nobody: 10:28pm On Aug 13, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

thats whats up. smiley
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by Nobody: 1:11am On Aug 14, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

https://www.nairaland.com/1079823/rap-blueprint-black-self-destruction/4#17418155
grin grin grin grin
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by Jayvarley(m): 6:54pm On Aug 28, 2013
Igbo Proverbs in Jamaica

Proverbs[edit source]

Ilu in Igbo means proverbs, a part of language that is very important to the Igbo. Igbo proverbs did not fail to cross the Atlantic along with the masses of enslaved Igbo people. Till today several transliterated Igbo proverbs survive in Jamaica today because of the Igbo ancestors. Some of these include:

Igbo: "He who will swallow udala seeds must consider the size of his anus"

Jamaican: "Cow must know 'ow 'im bottom stay before 'im swallow abbe [Twi 'palm nut'] seed"; "Jonkro must know what 'im a do before 'im swallow abbe seed"

Igbo: "Where are the young suckers that will grow when the old banana tree dies?"

Jamaican "When plantain wan' dead, it shoot [sends out new suckers]"

Igbo: "A man who makes trouble for other is also making one for himself"

Jamaican: "When you dig a hole/ditch for one, dig two"

Igbo: "The fly who has no one to advise it follows the corpse into the ground"

Jamaican: "Sweet-mout' fly follow coffin go a hole"; "Idle donkey follow cane-bump [the cart with cane cuttings] go a [animal] pound"; "Idle donkey follow crap-crap [food scraps] till dem go a pound [waste dump]"

Igbo: "The sleep that lasts for one market day to another has become death"

Jamaican: "Take sleep mark death [Sleep is foreshadowing of death]""When cow tail cut off, God Almighty brush fly"; "God fan fly fi 'tumpa tail [stump-tailed] cow"

"Dog sweat, but long hair cover it"
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by Nobody: 2:01am On Sep 01, 2013
the break down of trinidadian ancestry
according to: http://www.afrigeneas.com/forum-carib/index.cgi/md/read/id/440/sbj/trinidad-book-w-african-slave-statistics-etc/

TRIBE (Origin)-- NUMBER-- PERCENT OF AFRICAN
Ibo (S.E. Nigeria)-- 2,863-- 20%
Congo (Congo)-- 2,450-- 17%
Moco (Cameroons)-- 2,240-- 16%
Mandingo (Senegambia)-- 1,421-- 10%
Kormantyn (Ghana, Gold Coast):Fanti,Ashanti & Others--1,068--7%
Kwaka (Ivory Coast)-- 473-- 3%
Temne 169, Susu 145, Kissi 63 (Sierra Leone)-- 377-- 2.5%
Ibibio (S.E. Nigeria)-- 371-- 2.5%
Raddah (Dahomey)-- 281-- 2%
Chamba (Nigeria?)-- 275-- 2%
Fulani (N. Sierra Leone)-- 171-- 1.2%
Popo (Dahomey)-- 112-- 1%
Hausa (N. Nigeria)-- 109-- 1%
Yoruba (W. Nigeria)-- 10-- 0.07%
Various tribes under 1%-- 818-- 6%
Port of departure only-- 8.73% ...

i knew it grin

where we all got our wining from cool
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by Nobody: 2:02am On Sep 01, 2013
Jayvarley:
Igbo Proverbs in Jamaica

Proverbs[edit source]

Ilu in Igbo means proverbs, a part of language that is very important to the Igbo. Igbo proverbs did not fail to cross the Atlantic along with the masses of enslaved Igbo people. Till today several transliterated Igbo proverbs survive in Jamaica today because of the Igbo ancestors. Some of these include:

Igbo: "He who will swallow udala seeds must consider the size of his anus"

Jamaican: "Cow must know 'ow 'im bottom stay before 'im swallow abbe [Twi 'palm nut'] seed"; "Jonkro must know what 'im a do before 'im swallow abbe seed"

Igbo: "Where are the young suckers that will grow when the old banana tree dies?"

Jamaican "When plantain wan' dead, it shoot [sends out new suckers]"

Igbo: "A man who makes trouble for other is also making one for himself"

Jamaican: "When you dig a hole/ditch for one, dig two"

Igbo: "The fly who has no one to advise it follows the corpse into the ground"

Jamaican: "Sweet-mout' fly follow coffin go a hole"; "Idle donkey follow cane-bump [the cart with cane cuttings] go a [animal] pound"; "Idle donkey follow crap-crap [food scraps] till dem go a pound [waste dump]"

Igbo: "The sleep that lasts for one market day to another has become death"

Jamaican: "Take sleep mark death [Sleep is foreshadowing of death]""When cow tail cut off, God Almighty brush fly"; "God fan fly fi 'tumpa tail [stump-tailed] cow"

"Dog sweat, but long hair cover it"

i saw this a long time ago and was amazed at the similarities. smiley
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by Nobody: 2:06am On Sep 01, 2013
*Kails*:
the break down of trinidadian ancestry
according to: http://www.afrigeneas.com/forum-carib/index.cgi/md/read/id/440/sbj/trinidad-book-w-african-slave-statistics-etc/

i knew it grin

where we all got our wining from cool

..de Verteuil also reviews recreation among slaves, which could be described in one word--dancing, though he does mention hunting, wrestling, cock-fighting and gambling. One dance, the "Calenda", was supposedly introduced from "Arda"/Guinea. Another was thought to be the "Jouba" from the Congo...
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by Jayvarley(m): 10:23pm On Oct 08, 2013
Coromantee (derived from the name of the Ghanaian coastal town "Kormantse"wink, also called Coromantins, Coromanti or Kormantine was the English name given to Akan slaves from the Gold Coast or modern-day Ghana. The term Coromantee is now considered archaic as it simply refers to Akan people, and was primarily used in the Caribbean. Coromantins actually came from several Akan ethnic groups – Ashanti, Fanti, Akyem, etc. – presumably taken as war captives. Owing to their militaristic background and common Akan language, Coromantins organized dozens of slave rebellions in Jamaica and elsewhere in the Caribbean. Their fierce, rebellious nature became so notorious among white plantation owners in the 18th century that an Act was proposed to ban the importation of people from the Gold Coast despite their reputation as strong workers. The Akans had the single largest African cultural influence on Jamaica, including Jamaican Maroons whose culture and language was seen as a derivation of Akan. Names of some notable Coromantee leaders such as Cudjoe, Quamin, Cuffy, and Quamina correspond to Akan day names Kojo, Kwame, Kofi, and Kwabena, respectively.

Well at least according to Wiki wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coromantee
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by BlackKenichi(m): 10:40pm On Oct 08, 2013
Jayvarley: Coromantee (derived from the name of the Ghanaian coastal town "Kormantse"wink, also called Coromantins, Coromanti or Kormantine was the English name given to Akan slaves from the Gold Coast or modern-day Ghana. The term Coromantee is now considered archaic as it simply refers to Akan people, and was primarily used in the Caribbean. Coromantins actually came from several Akan ethnic groups – Ashanti, Fanti, Akyem, etc. – presumably taken as war captives. Owing to their militaristic background and common Akan language, Coromantins organized dozens of slave rebellions in Jamaica and elsewhere in the Caribbean. Their fierce, rebellious nature became so notorious among white plantation owners in the 18th century that an Act was proposed to ban the importation of people from the Gold Coast despite their reputation as strong workers. The Akans had the single largest African cultural influence on Jamaica, including Jamaican Maroons whose culture and language was seen as a derivation of Akan. Names of some notable Coromantee leaders such as Cudjoe, Quamin, Cuffy, and Quamina correspond to Akan day names Kojo, Kwame, Kofi, and Kwabena, respectively.

Well at least according to Wiki wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coromantee
Half true. There is a lot of Igbo influence in Jamaica as well.
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by Jayvarley(m): 10:43pm On Oct 08, 2013
Black Kenichi:
Half true. There is a lot of Igbo influence in Jamaica as well.

True especially linguistically.
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by Nobody: 11:47pm On Oct 08, 2013
smh
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by Jayvarley(m): 11:51pm On Oct 08, 2013
*Kails*:
smh

grin

Don't worry I'm just massaging Igbo Egos before I get real mad on them. grin

Ever notice how the word IGBO and the word EGO are synonymous?! grin grin
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by Nobody: 12:08am On Oct 09, 2013
lol na wa for u jay! grin
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by RandomAfricanAm: 11:06am On Oct 09, 2013
Supper: The french Company of the Indies(primarily a colonial and slave trading firm), had monopoly over the colony of Louisiana and also the slave trade of the Senegambian region, with their Fort St. Louis headquarters of the Company of the Indies in Africa, being located in modern day Northern Senegal. This created the slave trading Senegal-Louisiana concessions of the 18th and 19th century, which was the primary reason two-thirds of the slaves brought to Louisiana came through the Senegambian region.

And speaking of the Fulani. Here's a video showcasing some documented famous ethnic Fulani people in America(or what is now the US).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC2124XhYsg

An old unique blues style in the Northern Mississippi hill country called Northern Mississippi Fife and Drum blues, is an offshoot of Fulani Flute and drum music. In fact, the physical construction of the blues fife played in Northern MS is based on an old African model brought over by the transatlantic slave trade. The construction process mimics that of the of Fula flute. A musician typically cuts a piece of cane about a foot inlength, then a heated iron rod is used to bore out the cane, and finally the same rod isused to make the fingering and embouchure holes of the fife. No formal measure of spacing either between the embouchure hole and the fingering holes or between each of the fingering holes is used. Instead, the musicians use their hands as guides forconstruction, resulting in instruments that have slightly individualized scales, none of which are based on a classical Western model.
http://www.academia.edu/922424/_Stuff_You_Gotta_Watch_The_Effect_of_Anglo-American_Scholarship_on_North_Mississippi_Blues_Fife_and_Drum

Otha Turner construting his Blues Fife
[img]http://www.uncpress.unc.edu/poorheartease/images/pictures/canefife.jpg[/img]

Fula Flute

Mississippi Fife and Drum Blues Band - 1978

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNqrZUWBXxs
(@ 1:16)

Fulani Flute and Drum Music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xEcDHYFo1Q

I made a post on this topic earlier...
https://www.nairaland.com/1262726/endangered-african-american-musical-instruments

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names / What Tribe Do You Like Best And Why? / How Can You Marry Someone From An Ethnic Group You Claim To Hate?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.